Recruiting all characters!

Recruitment Status Is: OPEN

Current Character Want List
Miss Martian
Batgirl
Tigress/Artemis

Visit the OOC Thread

Hello, there :)

So, one of the things I was contemplating while going through application is to get a more adult game going based on the Young Justice cartoon that aired until last year. Hopefully, there enough other fans out there to get something going :)

For those not familiar with the cartoon, but recognize the Young Justice name from DC Comics, I highly recommend watching the show; it's fantastic. Season 1 is on Netflix. This isn't exactly the same team as the Peter David comic, though. It's a mixture of the original Teen Titans (Robin, Speedy, Kid Flash, and Aqualad), along with Superboy to start things off. From there, the team grows until by the end of the final Season, there were about 20 members.

The idea would be to start things off a few months after the end of Season 2, to work with the incredible ending that the show was given.

All characters would be at least 16 in the game, with the aging being handwaved. Only Robin (Tim), Beast Boy, and Wonder Girl (Cassie) would have to be aged; everyone else is around 18 to 22 in the series.

If there's interest, we could start off with people picking from the main characters, then branch out from there. There's also pairings within the series for already established relationships.

Superboy/Miss Maritan
Robin (Tim)/Wonder Girl (Cassie)
Nightwing...still needs to choose between Batgirl and Zatanna ;)

So, if anyone's interested or have questions, post away :)

EDIT: So, snice interest is picking up, here's a list of possible characters that have appeared as of the end of Season 2. The ones marked with an * are the Core members and the ones that need to be filled as quickly as possible, although anyone is free to app a character.

Character List
Nightwing*
Superboy*
Kid Flash*
Aqualad*
Miss Martian*
Tigress/Artemis*
Red Arrow
Batgirl
Robin (Tim Drake)
Guardian (Mal Duncan)
Bumblebee
Beast Boy
Wonder Girl
Blue Beetle
Impulse
Lagoon Boy
Static
Zatanna (former member now with the Justice League)
Rocket (former member now with the Justice League)
Arsenal (offered membership but currently declined)
Longshadow (offered membership but currently declined)
Samurai (offered membership but currently declined)
Ed Dorado (offered membership but currently declined)

If you want to know about some of the characters and how they might differ from the comics version, here's an excellent wiki about the show

http://youngjustice.wikia.com/wiki/Young_Justice_Wiki

Edit: This is now a recruiting thread. Yay! Right now, we have the following players and characters:

Nightwing: Phantom Pistoleer
Static: Juggtacular
Wonder Girl: LyraTigereyes
Superboy: Cold Heritage
Robin: apygoos
Kid Flash: TheRomanticPerv
Zatanna: Loves

Juggtacular

I'd love to play Virgil Hawkins aka Static.

And Captain Marvel if we're allowed more than one character.

PhantomPistoleer

I'd be interested in playing Nightwing.

I really, really like Nightwing.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Juggtacular

There's something about Nightwing...it just whelms me.

KnowThySire

I'd be interested in this, but the character I want to play the most died. :(
There can only be one king.

Juggtacular

Quote from: TheRomanticPerv on May 14, 2014, 10:17:28 PM
I'd be interested in this, but the character I want to play the most died. :(

Tula?
Flash?
Etc..?

KnowThySire

Lol KF. He was the character most like myself on the show. A regular goofball.

LyraTigereyes

Spoilers, hon ;) Not everyone's seen it yet.

But, that could be an event to run, getting Wally back.

Quote from: Juggtacular on May 14, 2014, 07:03:43 PM
I'd love to play Virgil Hawkins aka Static.

And Captain Marvel if we're allowed more than one character.

Let's just start with one character each for now and see how things go.

For me, I'll pick one of the girls, but we'll see how much interest we get and who wants to play what.

Do you think 8 players would be a good start?

KnowThySire

If we could get that many, we could definitely have a game.

zenpai

I wonder is the a way I can make an arc for war hawk to join
I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

LyraTigereyes

That would be cool, Zenpai, but it would have to be later, I think.

Let's get the mains going first, then we can have fun with bringing in some of our overlooked favorites :)

apygoos

as much as id love to be Nightwing, this is the fifth attempt at a Young Justice game. I hope you all find success, as after Nightwing, im not sure who id be interested in.

KnowThySire

You could be Tim Drake if you want to be another Robin. Aqualad would also be a nice choice too. He's a pretty good character as well.

AribethAmkiir

Tentatively interested.  I've been involved with a few Young Justice games that unfortunately failed.

I'd take one of the girls (obviously).

Question (though sort of a spoiler)

By the end of the series, Zatanna and others are part of the JL.  How will that change in this game, or will it?

Is there any interest in taking the story from the end of the 1st season and creating our own 2nd season.  It would provide more flexibility with character selection and character growth.

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 10:42:58 AM
Tentatively interested.  I've been involved with a few Young Justice games that unfortunately failed.

I'd take one of the girls (obviously).

Question (though sort of a spoiler)

By the end of the series, Zatanna and others are part of the JL.  How will that change in this game, or will it?

Is there any interest in taking the story from the end of the 1st season and creating our own 2nd season.  It would provide more flexibility with character selection and character growth.

Spoiler Answer
At the end of Season 2, the Team is stationed permanently on the Watchtower with the rest of the JL, able to freely interact with the League. So, Zatana and Rocket could easily work with both, of even choose to work more with the Team

As for starting up from the end of Season 1 rather than Season 2, I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, there's a 5 year gap in the timeline, after all. It probably wouldn't be right after Season 1 ends, but a couple of years so that Robin (Dick) would be 16 rather than 14, to keep with E's policies. That would make Artemis and Wally 18 and Aqualad 18-20. So, I leave it up to the group if they want to do that instead. I wanted to pick up after Season 2 because there's a greater variety of characters and there's a lot of plot to mine right off the bat from the ending.

AribethAmkiir

I'm not opposed to either.  With the character someone mentioned they were most interested, I just thought of an alternative idea.

KnowThySire

I'd be for it, though I don't mind starting after season 2 either. Juggs helped me solve the Wally issue.

This talk of failing Young Justice rps scares me a bit. I think for this YJ rp to succeed, we need incentives for the people playing. Perhaps it's a good plot, people enjoy playing their character, they like their rp partners, there's a good villian, etc, etc. Either way, what can we make unique about this YJ rp that the others didn't have?

AribethAmkiir

The reason two of the previous ones failed, or the primary reason, was that the GM just up and disappeared.  Hard to make a story move forward when the person running the story flakes out.

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: TheRomanticPerv on May 15, 2014, 11:31:47 AM
I'd be for it, though I don't mind starting after season 2 either. Juggs helped me solve the Wally issue.

This talk of failing Young Justice rps scares me a bit. I think for this YJ rp to succeed, we need incentives for the people playing. Perhaps it's a good plot, people enjoy playing their character, they like their rp partners, there's a good villian, etc, etc. Either way, what can we make unique about this YJ rp that the others didn't have?

All those are perfect points that I agree with. There needs to be a strong story and plot in the background and everyone has to enjoy writing with each other. I think the big starting event should be getting Wally back to the team. I think knowing that this happens sooner, rather than later, will get more fans interested, especially the Core characters.

And I'm interested in what you and Jugg came up with :)

Another point: if we start off small, 10 characters isn't a lot, we can build up slowly so that we're not overwhelmed by the number of participants. We don't have everyone screaming for screen time or thinking that they're getting lost in the shuffle. I think one way to counter this is to keep the plot and action scenes separate from the social-time scenes. We can incorporate the 'Location/Date/Time' stamp from the cartoon to help us with this. A social scene can start at a certain time, go for as many posts as needed, without taking away from an action or event scene that happens a bit later in the timeline.

AribethAmkiir

Sounds like a plan to me.  :)

I'm even more excited than I was initially.

apygoos

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 15, 2014, 11:14:55 AM
Spoiler Answer
At the end of Season 2, the Team is stationed permanently on the Watchtower with the rest of the JL, able to freely interact with the League. So, Zatana and Rocket could easily work with both, of even choose to work more with the Team

As for starting up from the end of Season 1 rather than Season 2, I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, there's a 5 year gap in the timeline, after all. It probably wouldn't be right after Season 1 ends, but a couple of years so that Robin (Dick) would be 16 rather than 14, to keep with E's policies. That would make Artemis and Wally 18 and Aqualad 18-20. So, I leave it up to the group if they want to do that instead. I wanted to pick up after Season 2 because there's a greater variety of characters and there's a lot of plot to mine right off the bat from the ending.
note: Robin [Dick] is 13 in YJ season 1, the 5 year gap would make Nightwing 18..well exactly when he became Nightwing evne by offical canon so, theres no problem there.
If i couldnt have Nightwing, im not sure about Tim.
season 2 stuffs
Nightwing leaves to do his own thing for a while, leaving Batgirl in charge of the team
Ugh i dunno if id wanna play Tim. I love Tim, but, eh idunno. Aqualad is cool, but i'm not as remotely into him, heh.

KnowThySire

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 15, 2014, 12:07:46 PM
And I'm interested in what you and Jugg came up with :)

Well, it's nothing too crazy. Just that Wally would be trapped in the speed force and would have to find a way out. I'm pretty sure he or one of the other Flashes were there in the comics. I was going to research how to get him out once I got home from work.

I do like the idea of the time stamp. Also, seperate threads for the watchtower, earth, school will probably be necessary

@apygos: How about Red Arrow? Not sure what happened to him towards the end, but he's a little nightwing-esque.

@Ari: Glad you're feeling a little more confident in the rp.

Juggtacular

Most Flashes have been caught in the Speed Force at one point or another in comics. It's like a right of passage or something it happens so much, lol.

And at the end of the show, Red Arrow I believe stayed on The Team while also spending time with Cheshire and their kid, while Arsenal(original Speedy) preferred a solo career after helping save the world.

apygoos

Quote from: TheRomanticPerv on May 15, 2014, 01:09:08 PM
Well, it's nothing too crazy. Just that Wally would be trapped in the speed force and would have to find a way out. I'm pretty sure he or one of the other Flashes were there in the comics. I was going to research how to get him out once I got home from work.

I do like the idea of the time stamp. Also, seperate threads for the watchtower, earth, school will probably be necessary

@apygos: How about Red Arrow? Not sure what happened to him towards the end, but he's a little nightwing-esque.

@Ari: Glad you're feeling a little more confident in the rp.
Red Arrow... i cant stand his character >.<
i know..i'm being difficult but..well im still pondering...

LyraTigereyes

I added a character list and a link to a wiki about the show in the first post.

apygoos

Nightwing
Robin/Red Robin
Impulse
regarding impulse though
Didn't Bart Allen end up taking on the alias of Kid Flash after Wally's death?

Juggtacular

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Yeah, Impulse/Bart became Kid Flash to honor Wally's memory

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: apygoos on May 15, 2014, 12:16:44 PM
note: Robin [Dick] is 13 in YJ season 1, the 5 year gap would make Nightwing 18..well exactly when he became Nightwing evne by offical canon so, theres no problem there.
If i couldnt have Nightwing, im not sure about Tim.

This is actually incorrect.  Nightwing is 19 at the beginning of Season 2.  His birthday is on December 1, as stated in issue #26 of the Young Justice comic book.  Season 1 ends on New Year's Eve.  Season two takes place five years after.

Edit:  As an addendum, I highly recommend reading issue #26 if you're a big Dick Grayson fan.  It's got two really cute sub-stories about his burgeoning friendship with Artemis, whom he invites to his birthday party, and his competitive relationship with Barbara.  It also has a cute little ending -- which is sort of a swan song, considering that the cartoon series was cancelled so unceremoniously.

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

AribethAmkiir

Lyra, do you want to claim your character so I know who to pick  :P

apygoos

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 15, 2014, 02:27:36 PM
This is actually incorrect.  Nightwing is 19 at the beginning of Season 2.  His birthday is on December 1, as stated in issue #26 of the Young Justice comic book.  Season 1 ends on New Year's Eve.  Season two takes place five years after.

Edit:  As an addendum, I highly recommend reading issue #26 if you're a big Dick Grayson fan.  It's got two really cute sub-stories about his burgeoning friendship with Artemis, whom he invites to his birthday party, and his competitive relationship with Barbara.  It also has a cute little ending -- which is sort of a swan song, considering that the cartoon series was cancelled so unceremoniously.

eh one year off, i didnt know there was an issue 26, last i saw was issue 25
so who infact is playing what?

Juggtacular

PhantomPistoleer

And I'm definitely going for Nightwing.  :)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

AribethAmkiir

Interested in Cassie, Barbara or Zatanna.  I'll pick whichever one Lyra doesn't want.

LyraTigereyes

I could go for Cassie, Megan, Artemis, or Zatana.

Go ahead and make a claim, Ari :)

AribethAmkiir

Well, if PP isn't against it, I'll see if I can't do Babs justice.  :-)

PhantomPistoleer

I am not against it.

But I wanna be. 8-)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

AribethAmkiir

all ready has the "dog" part of Nightwing down.   ;)

LyraTigereyes

That's our Dick, the Boy Whore ;)

Just kidding PP :P

So, in that case, I'm leaning towards Artemis, since we have a Wally, but was kind of hoping for someone to pick up Tim or Kon so that I could play Cassie or Megan; I like those characters more.

So, I'm going to hold off on my choice for now and see who hops in. I'm going to switch this to a recruitment thread and start up some threads for us in the group forums.

apygoos

well if Nightwing is already spoken for, i guess i could try Tim as Robin/RedRobin

KnowThySire

You don't have to pick a character on my account, l
Lyra. Pick whoever you want to be the most. Heck, I picked a guy who's technically dead.

*is in the speed force thinking of a way out*

Cold Heritage

This has, in the past, not turned out incredibly well, but I would like to try and play Superboy.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

KnowThySire

With that mentality, it's no wonder. :-(

*pats CH on the back*

Welcome to the club, Mini-Supes.

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: apygoos on May 15, 2014, 05:27:17 PM
well if Nightwing is already spoken for, i guess i could try Tim as Robin/RedRobin

Then I'll play Cassie, if that's alright?

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 15, 2014, 05:31:59 PM
This has, in the past, not turned out incredibly well, but I would like to try and play Superboy.

You're hired :)

apygoos

sure you can play Cassie. I see Tim being pretty shy about the relationship, but being the strong, forward girl that Cassie is, she more than offsets that quality between them.

AribethAmkiir

Looks like things are shaping up pretty well.  :)

Needs more female players.  :P

PhantomPistoleer

BTW, this was the official roster for Young Justice.  Obviously, some of the characters have passed on -- but, it might give people some ideas!  There are two female characters listed that weren't seen in the show.

B01 - Robin/Nightwing
B02 - Aqualad
B03 - Kid Flash
B04 - Superboy
B05 - Miss Martian
B06 - Speedy/Red Arrow
B07 - Artemis
B08 - Zatanna
B09 - Rocket
B10 -  Tempest
B11 - Aquagirl
B12 - Troia
B13 - Robin
B14 - Lieutenant Marvel
B15 - Sergeant Marvel
B16 - Batgirl
B17 - Bumblebee
B18 - Lagoon Boy
B19 - Beast Boy
B20 - Robin
B21 - Wonder Girl
B22 - Blue Beetle
B23 - Impulse
B24 - Guardian
B25 - Arsenal

Troia:

Mary Marvel, AKA Sgt. Marvel:

Also, you could also add in Supergirl:

and Starfire:

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

AribethAmkiir

We should keep the roster true to the show, in my opinion.  At least for the beginning of the game.  If Kory and Kara come in later that'd be cool.

Just my 2 cents.

PhantomPistoleer

WIP

B01:  Nightwing
Base of Operations:  Blüdhaven 
Species: Human

Personality:
Dick has matured considerably since he first joined the team. As Nightwing, he is more driven and focused—just like his mentor, the Batman.  Since the loss of Jason Todd, Nightwing has reined in the wisecracks, and has become much more somber and serious.  A different side to him is what makes Wally call him a "dog"—he has had relationships with multiple girls, including Zatanna, Rocket, and Batgirl, and all are still on good terms with him. When asked, he has commented that it was his superpower.

Powers:
Nightwing possesses no known superhuman powers.

Abilities:
Nightwing has peak human strength, speed, agility and endurance.  He is generally considered to be one of the greatest acrobats alive, and is a top-tier martial artist.  He is an accomplished detective, hacker, engineer and strategist.  Furthermore, he has extensive training in subterfuge, escape artistry, demolitions and various forms of detection.  He is proficient in the use of all forms of weaponry, and is an expert marksman with thrown ranged weapons.  He is multilingual, and has a very broad knowledge of current events, both local and abroad.  Additionally, his training under Batman has made him resilient towards chemical gases and torture techniques.

Equipment:
Like Batman, Nightwing employs a number of gadgets in his war against crime.  They include sleeping gas grenades, smoke bombs, wing-ding batarangs, shurikens and bolas.  He frequently utilizes small-area explosive gels and darts with chemical payloads.  He regularly employs a grappling gun to swing between buildings or reach high places in a matter of seconds.  His preferred weapon of choice are twin nigh-unbreakable polymer escrima sticks.

His armor is a Kevlar-weave, fire-retardant suit with numerous containers.  His mask has thermal and night vision.  He regularly uses a holographic interface, which also functions as a source of light.

Vehicles:
The Car:  Nightwing uses a highly modified muscle car with numerous exterior shells to better blend in public.  The Car also features a number of gadgets, like a grease-gun, a caltrop dispenser and razor tires.

The Motorcycle:  Nightwing also frequently uses a stripped-down Bat cycle.

Nightwing's Hideout:  Nightwing operates out of a warehouse in Blüdhaven.  It has a repair bay, crime lab, gym and a teleportation station.  When Mount Justice was destroyed, the Warehouse served as a makeshift area of operations for The Team. 
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

AribethAmkiir

Before we start throwing up character sheets we should actually discuss some things, no?

KnowThySire

Yeah, it's a little too soon for those. What things would you like to discuss, Ari? I myself am wondering what should be done about villains. Will they be npc'd or will we recruit for them?

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 07:55:52 PM
Before we start throwing up character sheets we should actually discuss some things, no?

Oh yeah?  I'm all ears, Barb. ;)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: TheRomanticPerv on May 15, 2014, 08:01:15 PM
Yeah, it's a little too soon for those. What things would you like to discuss, Ari? I myself am wondering what should be done about villains. Will they be npc'd or will we recruit for them?

I think at first, we'll NPC them.  Maybe after a while, we open up the major villains (Vandal, Lex, Ra's, Queen Bee) to be apped.

KnowThySire

I assume it would be the same for the senior Justice League members?

AribethAmkiir

I'd prefer they'd be NPC'd unless Lyra wants to write them.  We could recruit for them, but it would take a very special player to be able to know they were meant to lose.

My biggest questions are what happened in the 5 years between season 1 and season 2.  I've watched every single episode (multiple times) but I only learned about the comics today.  *shrugs*

How much of the YJ show are we going to use and how much do we want to fill in from the comics?

I'd personally like for everyone to start on the same page, as far as continuity goes, before we start throwing in curve balls and making it a game of "keep up with me" versus a joint effort to write a collaborative story.

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: TheRomanticPerv on May 15, 2014, 08:08:07 PM
I assume it would be the same for the senior Justice League members?

Probably, yes. Although the Team now gets it's missions straight from the Watchtower, instead of adult handlers. So there might not be as much a reason to bring them in except for special events.

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 08:19:19 PM
I'd prefer they'd be NPC'd unless Lyra wants to write them.  We could recruit for them, but it would take a very special player to be able to know they were meant to lose.

My biggest questions are what happened in the 5 years between season 1 and season 2.  I've watched every single episode (multiple times) but I only learned about the comics today.  *shrugs*

How much of the YJ show are we going to use and how much do we want to fill in from the comics?

I'd personally like for everyone to start on the same page, as far as continuity goes, before we start throwing in curve balls and making it a game of "keep up with me" versus a joint effort to write a collaborative story.

Well, the shows are definitely canon. For the comics, I'd say soft canon, since not everyone has them and there's no summaries like there is for the show episodes. So, stuff from the comics can be used, but subject to alteration by a player?

KnowThySire

I think that's why it's good to start after season 2. The future's undetermined and more flexible given what plots were left open in the last episode. Everyone knows pretty much where to go.

apygoos

i feel that WIP bio is lacking info about little brother Tim. Dick has always worekd very closely with Tim when the opportunity presents itself. Tim and Dick are like, THE Family of the Batfamily. i know brainstomring a bio in my head a large highlight is going to be the relationship between Man Wonder and Teen Wonder.

As a plot point, how long after season 2 is this? It must've been long enough for Nightwing to return [likely a span of several months to a year]. Maybe the team got into big trouble with Deathstroke [Dicks favorite merc...not really] and helped them back out before Batman/any other leaguer could reply?
/is just tossing around ideas.
For me the real question about how long has passed since the end of season 2, is Robin couldve already taken on the new alias of Red Robin, establishing himself as his own hero, and not simply a protege, or maybe that could be one of the first story arcs explored maybe.

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: apygoos on May 15, 2014, 08:29:25 PM
i feel that WIP bio is lacking info about little brother Tim. Dick has always worekd very closely with Tim when the opportunity presents itself. Tim and Dick are like, THE Family of the Batfamily. i know brainstomring a bio in my head a large highlight is going to be the relationship between Man Wonder and Teen Wonder.

As a plot point, how long after season 2 is this? It must've been long enough for Nightwing to return [likely a span of several months to a year]. Maybe the team got into big trouble with Deathstroke [Dicks favorite merc...not really] and helped them back out before Batman/any other leaguer could reply?
For me the real question about how long has passed since the end of season 2, is Robin couldve already taken on the new alias of Red Robin, establishing himself as his own hero, and not simply a protege, or maybe that could be one of the first story arcs explored maybe.

I was thinking maybe 6 months had passed? Time enough for the Team to move past Wally's sacrifice, but still fresh and hurting in them.

As for becoming Red Robin, that's up to you. There's no real reason for it since Damien's not around, but if you want to have the new identity, that's fine.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 08:19:19 PM

The main problem, I think, is that the show's creator has been so cryptic about what has happened in those five years.

What I care about is this:

1.  Jason Todd joined The Team and was killed during his time there;
2.  Dick Grayson became Nightwing before Jason Todd joined;
3.  Tula was also killed during her time with the team;
4.  Grayson is in an on and off relationship with Barbara Gordon.

The first time they kissed would be on Dick's 14th birthday:

And the last time they had any sort of hanky panky was on Dick's 19th birthday:

Quote from: apygoos on May 15, 2014, 08:29:25 PM

... I'm not done yet.  I have barely even started.  Dude, chill out.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

apygoos

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 15, 2014, 08:34:48 PM
I was thinking maybe 6 months had passed? Time enough for the Team to move past Wally's sacrifice, but still fresh and hurting in them.

As for becoming Red Robin, that's up to you. There's no real reason for it since Damien's not around, but if you want to have the new identity, that's fine.
Valid point. Becoming Red Robin would be a good coming of age type of arc methinks. Maybe Batman does what he normally does...piss off his sidekicks when theyre old enough to have perfectly good, formulated opinions and they  leave to run solo, heh. For now ill stick with Robin.

Cold Heritage

That does not sound like Young Justice Batman to me. Batman demonstrates a lot of empathy during the show's run, and he goes to bat for the younger characters a fair bit: butting heads with Superman because the latter neglects Superboy; the scene where he goes and plays basketball with a bummed out Dick; the scene where he stands up for Captain Marvel to the entire Justice League. Bat-Dad is best dad.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 15, 2014, 09:17:13 PM
That does not sound like Young Justice Batman to me. Batman demonstrates a lot of empathy during the show's run, and he goes to bat for the younger characters a fair bit: butting heads with Superman because the latter neglects Superboy; the scene where he goes and plays basketball with a bummed out Dick; the scene where he stands up for Captain Marvel to the entire Justice League. Bat-Dad is best dad.

Agreed.

Nightwing and Batman never had the same disconnect in the TV show that they did in the comics.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

apygoos

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 15, 2014, 09:17:13 PM
Well we get a rare instance to see how Batman actually cares for his sons [and all hero children for that matter] However, Batman still ends up doing things that his sidekicks resents. Watch the scene when Dick visits with Black Canary in season one of Young Justice. Its one of my most favorite Dick Grayson scenes ever, and you can see the seeds of Nightwing there. Given teh fall out wasnt as hard as displayed in the comics [and even in the animated series] but in YJ it was more like Dick took the Necessary steps to avoid that conflict with his mentor.

in the meantime i found a picture i thought warranted sharing
Tim Drake redesign as Robin

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: apygoos on May 15, 2014, 09:23:43 PM
Well we get a rare instance to see how Batman actually cares for his sons [and all hero children for that matter] However, Batman still ends up doing things that his sidekicks resents. Watch the scene when Dick visits with Black Canary in season one of Young Justice. Its one of my most favorite Dick Grayson scenes ever, and you can see the seeds of Nightwing there. Given teh fall out wasnt as hard as displayed in the comics [and even in the animated series] but in YJ it was more like Dick took the Necessary steps to avoid that conflict with his mentor.

I disagree.

Robin doesn't want to be Batman, as stated in that episode (S01E17).  At the same time, Batman doesn't want Robin to become Batman, as stated in S01E22.  I don't really see how them both wanting the same thing could create some sort of conflict.

I totally agree with Cold Heritage, and I suppose I'm glad that we're crossing this bridge before the game starts.

Batman from Young Justice is a lot more mature and nurturing about his proteges, and I think that's a testament to the dynamic that Greg Weisman was going for.  Like, why would the guy who is a superhero because his parents were killed be a bad parent?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Cold Heritage

When Dick says that he does not want to be the Batman, it does not come from a place of resentment. It is, basically, the truest mark of success of Batman's mentorship of Dick Grayson. Batman says, explicitly, that he took Dick Grayson under his wing so that Dick would not end up the same way he did. Dick being able to realize that being the Batman is not healthy is good thing, and it is not indicative of a negative relationship between the two as is so often depicted in comics and other adaptations.

I can agree that it is a seed of Nightwing, but it is not an indication that Batman is an uncaring mentor that mistreats his wards.

LyraTigereyes

I do agree that Batman is far more nurturing and caring in YJ than in the comics. The basketball scene would never happen in the comics.

Now, this doesn't mean that Batman hasn't changed in between Dick and Tim. As stated before, Jason showed up and was killed; that can put a huge strain on Batman. Given that Tim isn't the best combatant or acrobat, and that the Team just lost Kid Flash, I could see Batman starting to push away from Tim to try and get him to give up the hero thing, but it only makes Tim want to prove himself more.

AribethAmkiir

+1 to the whole Batman being a good "parent" thing.  Definitely a good direction for the RP to go.

Jason Todd thing I dislike but it seems like it's canon for the show.  What effect would this have on Barb?

And yes, I know they first kissed (she kissed him) on his 14th birthday.  I'm not exactly sure what happened on his 19th birthday.  In one frame she's kissing him and the next frame she's telling him he's not ready for a relationship with her.  Seems to leave thing up to the reader's imagination, which means we should decide what happened, PP.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 09:43:13 PM
+1 to the whole Batman being a good "parent" thing.  Definitely a good direction for the RP to go.

Jason Todd thing I dislike but it seems like it's canon for the show.  What effect would this have on Barb?

And yes, I know they first kissed (she kissed him) on his 14th birthday.  I'm not exactly sure what happened on his 19th birthday.  In one frame she's kissing him and the next frame she's telling him he's not ready for a relationship with her.  Seems to leave thing up to the reader's imagination, which means we should decide what happened, PP.

You're actually not going to like this, Aribeth.

Like, that morning, Dick had a one-night stand with Bette Kane.  Then, later that night/early morning, Barbara shows up on his doorstep.  They hug it out and then they go into his apartment to do the deed.

I can't find a bigger image:

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

KnowThySire

Seems like I should be reading these comics. Anything I need to know of Wally that isn't mentioned in the show?

AribethAmkiir

She says she wants to spend a little time with him... that could mean anything.  :P

Unless the next frame after the door closing is them in bed, her sneaking out, or them together the next morning... it could mean anything.    ::)

Yes, yes, I know, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.   ;D

In all seriousness I've got no problem with them having "done the deed" that night (or even before that night).

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: TheRomanticPerv on May 15, 2014, 10:06:11 PM
Seems like I should be reading these comics. Anything I need to know of Wally that isn't mentioned in the show?

I think he has a couple of arcs.  I just really like the fact that he has a Richard Dragon poster on his wall.  :)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 10:07:06 PM
She says she wants to spend a little time with him... that could mean anything.  :P

Unless the next frame after the door closing is them in bed, her sneaking out, or them together the next morning... it could mean anything.    ::)

Yes, yes, I know, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.   ;D

In all seriousness I've got no problem with them having "done the deed" that night (or even before that night).

They can do the deed all of the time, for all I care. ;)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

AribethAmkiir

yeah, maybe I should be talking to someone else about this.   ::)

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 10:28:45 PM

Just find someone to later app Bette as Firebird. She's Nightwing's biggest fan, after all *crazy eyes*

Juggtacular

-has Static in the corner making electric shapes-

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 15, 2014, 10:30:46 PM
Just find someone to later app Bette as Firebird. She's Nightwing's biggest fan, after all *crazy eyes*
Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 10:28:45 PM

Awwr.  But they're soul mates, Aribeth.  Two incredibly nubile, attractive, non-jealous young people with boundless energy and very firm bodies.   ^_~

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 15, 2014, 10:30:46 PM

Don't give me ideas, ma'am.  My Dick Grayson would be far more obliging.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

KnowThySire

Woah is KF. The speed force is a lonely place.

Juggtacular

It's lonely, but it's better than being outright dead.

AribethAmkiir

Right, and that means just because she's telling him "no" in the frames leading to a closed door that she obviously means "yes".

Let's not even go there, please.

I'd very much appreciate it if we actually talked about things.

KnowThySire

Communication is the first step to building team chemistry.

Cold Heritage

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 15, 2014, 10:55:19 PM
What would you like to talk about?

Character relationships, especially if they deviate from what's depicted in the show.  Plots. Story arcs.  What the Team has done in the last 6 months (since the end of season 2).  Possibly new developments.  What, we as a group, can collaboratively agree upon happening during the 5 years between Season 1 and Season 2, etc.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 11:15:45 PM
Character relationships, especially if they deviate from what's depicted in the show.  Plots. Story arcs.  What the Team has done in the last 6 months (since the end of season 2).  Possibly new developments.  What, we as a group, can collaboratively agree upon happening during the 5 years between Season 1 and Season 2, etc.

Okay, I'm game!

But how do we approach that? It seems like a rather monumental task to do that.

What would you like Dick and Barbara's relationship to be like at this time?  I would like for them to be in an on and off relationship, where nobody feels injured whenever anyone else starts seeing another person.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

AribethAmkiir

It shouldn't be that monumental.

The Team took the place of the Teen Titans, right?  So Kory really isn't in the picture, at all.  Correct?

Barbara obviously has feelings for Dick and she would like there to be more between them than "just friends".  They could be in an "on again, off again" relationship, or they could just be extremely close with Dick keeping Barbara at an arms length due to what happened with Jason, Tula, and Wally.  Maybe there's a mix of both.

In the show, there's really no indication that anything has happened between them.  All of that seems to have been left in the comic.  I'd find it much more satisfying if we turned their close friendship into a romance during game play than have it something we're entering the game with.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 11:40:30 PM
The Team took the place of the Teen Titans, right?  So Kory really isn't in the picture, at all.  Correct?

Starfire never appeared in the show, and the creator has been less than clear as to whether or not she has appeared yet.  In the comics, she appears as Dick Grayson is transitioning between the Robin and Nightwing identities.  However, I don't really feel very strongly about NOT having Starfire appear in the game.  Maybe that could be a storyline we could develop down the chute.

Barbara obviously has feelings for Dick and she would like there to be more between them than "just friends".  They could be in an "on again, off again" relationship, or they could just be extremely close with Dick keeping Barbara at an arms length due to what happened with Jason, Tula, and Wally.  Maybe there's a mix of both.  In the show, there's really no indication that anything has happened between them.  All of that seems to have been left in the comic.  I'd find it much more satisfying if we turned their close friendship into a romance during game play than have it something we're entering the game with.

I think that this has more to do with Season 2 having 20 episodes, rather than 26.  The creators of the show didn't really get to explore a lot of interpersonal dynamics that, in my opinion, made the first season so much more interesting.

But, like you said, I'm also against having the two be in a monogamous relationship from the get-go.  But I am against them never having been in a romantic relationship, but I don't necessarily think that it ought to have been serious.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

apygoos

Well, in the time that Dick left, Tim, though timid at times, stepped up to help Datgirl lead the team for a time. The way i envision it, His relationship with the team could only get stronger, especially with Cassie, who he has the challenge of having Batman as a watchful dad between them.

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 15, 2014, 11:40:30 PM
It shouldn't be that monumental.

Barbara obviously has feelings for Dick and she would like there to be more between them than "just friends".  They could be in an "on again, off again" relationship, or they could just be extremely close with Dick keeping Barbara at an arms length due to what happened with Jason, Tula, and Wally.  Maybe there's a mix of both.

In the show, there's really no indication that anything has happened between them.  All of that seems to have been left in the comic.  I'd find it much more satisfying if we turned their close friendship into a romance during game play than have it something we're entering the game with.
As far as we know, in the universe the show paints, there are no Titans.
as for implied things between dick and babs, there is one scene that Babs gets a smudge confrontational with Dick as he briefs her team [comprised of all girls] to take on a mission involving Queen Bee. ITs that type of confrontational that exes only would have, at least in my opinion. I cant find the damn clip of it though >.<

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: apygoos on May 15, 2014, 11:58:39 PM
Well, in the time that Dick left, Tim, though timid at times, stepped up to help Datgirl lead the team for a time. The way i envision it, His relationship with the team could only get stronger, especially with Cassie, who he has the challenge of having Batman as a watchful dad between them.
As far as we know, in the universe the show paints, there are no Titans.
as for implied things between dick and babs, there is one scene that Babs gets a smudge confrontational with Dick as he briefs her team [comprised of all girls] to take on a mission involving Queen Bee. ITs that type of confrontational that exes only would have, at least in my opinion. I cant find the damn clip of it though >.<

The Team are Earth 16's Titans -- they're just not called "Teen Titans."

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

apygoos

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 16, 2014, 12:02:50 AM
The Team are Earth 16's Titans -- they're just not called "Teen Titans."

The Team started off as a version of the early Teen Titans, yes. But, using Kaldur'ahn instead of Garth. And also bringing in Superboy and Miss Martian.

Over time, they brought in two 'Classic' Titans: Bumblebee and Mal Duncan (Herald in the original Titans)

Also, with the numbered list that was provided, we also had Donna come and go. So, I would say it's a safe bet for other Titans to show up. If Kori did show up in the comics for one issue, that's really not a big thing IMO, and could be safely skipped over. Plus, if someone wanted to app Kori down the line, she would have a fresh start.

apygoos, I'm assuming that Tim hasn't told Cassie 'the secret' yet? I think he'd be keeping that fairly close, but it's up to you

apygoos

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 16, 2014, 12:21:10 AM
The Team started off as a version of the early Teen Titans, yes. But, using Kaldur'ahn instead of Garth. And also bringing in Superboy and Miss Martian.

Over time, they brought in two 'Classic' Titans: Bumblebee and Mal Duncan (Herald in the original Titans)

Also, with the numbered list that was provided, we also had Donna come and go. So, I would say it's a safe bet for other Titans to show up. If Kori did show up in the comics for one issue, that's really not a big thing IMO, and could be safely skipped over. Plus, if someone wanted to app Kori down the line, she would have a fresh start.

apygoos, I'm assuming that Tim hasn't told Cassie 'the secret' yet? I think he'd be keeping that fairly close, but it's up to you
Which secret might you be implying? the batfamily is a family of secrets, heh.
if its something form season 2 youre referencing, its over my head right now, heh.

LyraTigereyes

No, I meant the secret ID :P

And before you answer, remeber that Cassie is very...excitable and not very subtle ;)

apygoos

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 16, 2014, 12:26:32 AM
No, I meant the secret ID :P

And before you answer, remeber that Cassie is very...excitable and not very subtle ;)
that's a good question actually. On one hand they all keep their IDs close to the chest. On the other, thinking that over half a year a girl would only call you your cover name..is kinda odd, to an end i feel like it would start to get on his nerves and then blame himself for not telling her who he was.

I'm thinking at some point he did, but its their special secret, making it all the more meaningful for Cassie

Juggtacular

Virgil never got a secret identity, lol.

LyraTigereyes

apygoo:Okay, I like that :)

And I'm sure that all they've done so far is date and kiss. Maybe Tim's taken her to a really fancy restaurant once or twice?

Juggy: Virgil's too cool for a secret ID, anyways ;)

apygoos

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 16, 2014, 12:47:28 AM
apygoo:Okay, I like that :)

And I'm sure that all they've done so far is date and kiss. Maybe Tim's taken her to a really fancy restaurant once or twice?

Juggy: Virgil's too cool for a secret ID, anyways ;)
that sounds about right. the demigoddess is probably itching for me but Timid Tim, heh.

Cold Heritage

I think that for most characters that we have so far that Superboy would be an acquaintance. He knows them and has gone on missions with them, and he has done his best to teach them what he knows that is worth passing along.

The big ones would be Kid Flash and Nightwing, owing them being the longest acquainted and have spent the most time together. Pending okay from their relative players, this what I have going on:

I think in terms of Kid Flash, Superboy is sad and mourning but he is emotionally stable enough that it does not really bother him - he is in a more mature place by the end of season 2 and is more willing to explore healthy outlets for his emotions, such as therapy with Black Canary, to cope. Obviously he would have liked it if things had turned out another way, but they did not and Superboy accepts that and is moving forward. The world is still there and still needs saving - he will honour Kid Flash's memory and sacrifice by continuing to do everything in his power to protect the Earth and its people.

On the Nightwing front, I am thinking that Superboy would have gotten over being angry about Nightwing's deception. He genuinely believes that Nightwing had good reason for what he did, and when he got in Nightwing's face about it it was a heat of the moment thing. He will have tried to make amends for that and do what he can to bury any hatchets that need burying. Maybe they are not as close as they were back in the day, but by the time of actual play things between them are solid.

LyraTigereyes

apygood: It's okay, Cassie finds Tim's demurring adorable :)

Cold Heritage: That's a good working premise. Kon would be the closest to the Core members; Dick Wally, and Kaldur especially since they're the ones that rescued him.

Also, Kon and Megan have made up and are back together, I believe.

Juggtacular

Virgil is a pretty cool cat if I do say so myself, Lyra.

As for Virgil, he never really got to meet Wally, but he respects him deeply for his sacrifice.

LyraTigereyes

apygoos: Here's a question: are Tim's parent's dead? Or just his mom and his dad is paralyzed? If the latter, is his therapist/girlfriend Dana around?

apygoos

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 16, 2014, 12:56:34 AM
apygood: It's okay, Cassie finds Tim's demurring adorable :)

Cold Heritage: That's a good working premise. Kon would be the closest to the Core members; Dick Wally, and Kaldur especially since they're the ones that rescued him.

Also, Kon and Megan have made up and are back together, I believe.
heh thats good then :)

out side of his relationship there it may still be business as usual for Tim
He would be living with Bruce Wayne

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 15, 2014, 11:51:47 PM
I think that this has more to do with Season 2 having 20 episodes, rather than 26.  The creators of the show didn't really get to explore a lot of interpersonal dynamics that, in my opinion, made the first season so much more interesting.

But, like you said, I'm also against having the two be in a monogamous relationship from the get-go.  But I am against them never having been in a romantic relationship, but I don't necessarily think that it ought to have been serious.

What do you mean by "serious"?

Quote from: apygoos on May 15, 2014, 11:58:39 PM

I know which scene you're talking about.  To me that's a girl calling a guy on his BS.  That relationship could be best friend or kid sister, or any number of things in between.  It's not long before M'ghann and Bee are joining in, either. 

The way I see the YJ Barbra is basically the only girl in a family of boys.  There's Dick, who she has competed and compared herself against from the beginning.  Jason, who she was likely involved with his training and whom she acted like an older sister to (at least if it was anywhere near the comics).  Tim, who she's obviously got a good relationship with but is also an older sister figure.  And Bruce.  That's a pretty tough family to fit into and she likely learned early on that she couldn't put up with any of their BS.   

That's my 2 cents on that scene.

@CH: By the time the game starts, Connor will have been working with some of the other members of The Team for close to 5 years.  It seems awfully limiting to the RP and your character to toss everyone besides Wally and Dick into the "acquaintance" zone.  These are people he fights beside nearly everyday.  They trust him with their life and he trusts them with his, or at least, that's what I gathered.  I understand your take.  He didn't share much screen time with any of the other characters.  It just seems odd that after years he'd still consider them "acquaintances" and not friends.

Loves

Hello,  I was wondering if Zatanna has been taken?
ON HIATUS AGAIN

apygoos

Plot idea: Red Hood makes his presence known.

KnowThySire

Quote from: Loves on May 16, 2014, 04:28:26 AM

And now we have drama.

*raises his hand highly in favor of Loves playing Zatana*

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 16, 2014, 12:51:51 AM
On the Nightwing front, I am thinking that Superboy would have gotten over being angry about Nightwing's deception. He genuinely believes that Nightwing had good reason for what he did, and when he got in Nightwing's face about it it was a heat of the moment thing. He will have tried to make amends for that and do what he can to bury any hatchets that need burying. Maybe they are not as close as they were back in the day, but by the time of actual play things between them are solid.

Let's face it -- blowing up Happy Harbor to sell Aqualad's turn was a reprehensible, even if the ruse worked.  Nightwing deeply understands Superboy's position, and doesn't begrudge him for being upset.  In fact, Nightwing is deeply disturbed by his own actions, and is constantly seeking therapy to deal with them.  In his mind, leaders sometimes have to make very hard ethical decisions, and Nightwing believes that Superboy understands that.

Despite his lapse of honesty in his role as the leader of The Team, Dick trusts Superboy implicitly.  He loves Superboy as a brother, and cares for his mental, physical and spiritual well-being.  Despite having matured into a more serious person, Nightwing often says or does things that a younger Dick Grayson might say or do just to cheer Superboy up.

Dick Grayson loves word play, puns and riddles, as well as lingual diction and syntax.  Since Superboy knows every language on earth, I envision Dick Grayson and Superboy as having very long conversations as to why Dick's puns in other languages don't exactly work.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: Loves on May 16, 2014, 04:28:26 AM

No, Zatanna is still open for you to take. I'll put you on the list in the first page

On another note, I'm glad we're hashing all this out and getting things established so there's no confusion. But I also want to keep the game moving forward, so I'll put up the OOC starter thread later today.

There will be two main threads: The Watchtower and The Rec Room. The Watchtower will be for all action and event scenes, and the Rec Room will be for the group public scenes.

Sound like a plan?

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 16, 2014, 03:11:39 AM
What do you mean by "serious"?

I know which scene you're talking about.  To me that's a girl calling a guy on his BS.  That relationship could be best friend or kid sister, or any number of things in between.  It's not long before M'ghann and Bee are joining in, either. 

The way I see the YJ Barbra is basically the only girl in a family of boys.  There's Dick, who she has competed and compared herself against from the beginning.  Jason, who she was likely involved with his training and whom she acted like an older sister to (at least if it was anywhere near the comics).  Tim, who she's obviously got a good relationship with but is also an older sister figure.  And Bruce.  That's a pretty tough family to fit into and she likely learned early on that she couldn't put up with any of their BS.   
WWII
t. 
That's my 2 cents on that scene.

I would define serious as a committed, long-term relationship.  Dick is willing to do that -- he very openly loves Barbara.  But it hasn't happened yet.  However, that doesn't preclude them having intense petting sessions.  ;)

I don't agree that Batgirl would call Nightwing out like that just to call him out on his BS.  Nightwing isn't sexist, and the women on the team know that.  He might have been a little protective of Barbara in the beginning, but that was probably a hurdle that they already crossed.  I do not think that this happened because Barb was a girl, but because she was a rookie and, in some part, under his training.  I ultimately feel that the girls really got a kick out of flustering the usually cool and collected Nightwing, and that it added a moment of levity to a very nerve racking situation.

I think that the only scene that actually shows any sort of relationship between them happens in Downtime, I think?  When Dick takes a picture of himself with Artemis at Gotham Academy, Babs seems to me to get a little jealous. 

Babs:  "Who is that, Dick?"
Dick:  "Just a friend, Barbara."

I disagree that the fact that she is a female would make things at the Batcave harder.  This Batman is very open minded, and he doesn't display the same prejudices that he usually displays in other media, and if anything, I feel that things would be easier for her since she has Dick to explain things.  Bruce can be brusque and short, but Dick has developed his burgeoning team skills by this time.  Besides that,
Dick already understands Batman, and gets what his methods are trying to achieve. 

Lastly, I also feel that Dick, post Aqualad's assumption of leadership, has stopped being jealous and openly competitive.  He is a mature team player and a very competent leader.  He would have wanted for Barbara to succeed, and would have been driven to make her better than he is.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Loves

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 16, 2014, 09:02:50 AM
No, Zatanna is still open for you to take. I'll put you on the list in the first page

that's awesome  :D 
ON HIATUS AGAIN

KnowThySire

Where should I make my posts, Lyra? The SF does not exactly qualify as the Watchtower. Perhaps one more thread for miscellaneous locations is needed as well.

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 16, 2014, 09:12:33 AM
I would define serious as a committed, long-term relationship.  Dick is willing to do that -- he very openly loves Barbara.  But it hasn't happened yet.  However, that doesn't preclude them having intense petting sessions.  ;)

I'm down with that.

I don't agree that Batgirl would call Nightwing out like that just to call him out on his BS.  Nightwing isn't sexist, and the women on the team know that.  He might have been a little protective of Barbara in the beginning, but that was probably a hurdle that they already crossed.  I do not think that this happened because Barb was a girl, but because she was a rookie and, in some part, under his training.  I ultimately feel that the girls really got a kick out of flustering the usually cool and collected Nightwing, and that it added a moment of levity to a very nerve racking situation.

What I'm saying is that Barbara and Dick have an intimacy, that doesn't have to be physical, that allows her to do things like that without it being personal.  It's like a best friend taking the "wind out of your sails".  It happens.  I've had friendships with guys, who I've never had any physical relationship with, where I would say something like that just to fluster him.  Especially someone who is normally cool and collected.  Yes, it provided levity and that was the whole point.  She got one over on Dick and scored points with the girls.  win-win.

I think that the only scene that actually shows any sort of relationship between them happens in Downtime, I think?  When Dick takes a picture of himself with Artemis at Gotham Academy, Babs seems to me to get a little jealous.

Babs:  "Who is that, Dick?"
Dick:  "Just a friend, Barbara."

Yeah, but she was like 13-14 in that episode and wasn't Batgirl, yet.

I disagree that the fact that she is a female would make things at the Batcave harder.  This Batman is very open minded, and he doesn't display the same prejudices that he usually displays in other media, and if anything, I feel that things would be easier for her since she has Dick to explain things.  Bruce can be brusque and short, but Dick has developed his burgeoning team skills by this time.  Besides that, Dick already understands Batman, and gets what his methods are trying to achieve. 

Lastly, I also feel that Dick, post Aqualad's assumption of leadership, has stopped being jealous and openly competitive.  He is a mature team player and a very competent leader.  He would have wanted for Barbara to succeed, and would have been driven to make her better than he is.

You can disagree all you want, until you've spent time as a female in a business or job that is primarily male populated, you won't understand what I'm talking about.  Batman and Dick don't need to be chauvinistic or prejudice, that has nothing to do with it.  Are you suggesting that things were easier for her than they were for Jason or Tim?  If you are that's a prejudice in itself.  Easier than what Dick went through, to a degree, I'd agree.  However, Dick being #1 and Barb always trying to be just as good, is a key to their early dynamic and eventual friendship.  There are enough "I always beat him" quips by Barb in the YJ comics to make the point.  She's fiercely competitive with him.  He doesn't have to be competitive in return.  I absolutely agree that Dick would want both Barb and Tim to succeed, never said otherwise.  Driving her to be better than he is could easily be seen as friendly competition, never suggested that their competition wasn't friendly.

LyraTigereyes

I agree with Ari that even in the most welcoming and accepting of environments, if there is only one woman with a group of men that are her equals, she feels pressure to prove that she is an equal. It's not anything that the men in question do or say, it's a lingering piece of society as a whole. It's something that affects a woman while she's still young and sees examples of how girls are not the same as boys. Girls play with dolls, boys play with Hot Wheels. Girls pretend to be princesses, boys pretend to be pirates. Even if a girl is encouraged by her parents to do or be or play with whatever she wants, there's still the other girls she socializes with that may not have such support. Gender inequality is more than just a caricature of some businessman from the 50's slapping a secretary on the butt and telling her to make some coffee. There are so many subtle and not-so-subtle ways that society affects how a girl develops into a woman. it has absolutely nothing to so with how supporting the rest of the Bat-family is towards Barbara; and I'm sure in the YJ universe, Bruce & Dick have been very supportive and nurturing of Babs.

A quicker explanation would be that Babs doesn't feel the need to prove to Bruce or Dick that she's their equal; she feels to prove to society that she's the equal of Batman and Nightwing.

apygoos

Quote from: apygoos on May 16, 2014, 05:24:18 AM
Plot idea: Red Hood makes his presence known.
i guess no one is interested in this idea?...
also beyond his thing with Cassie, im open to thoughts or ideas that may have happened in those months . otherwise he would've just been doing his thing with Batman/missions with various team members.

LyraTigereyes

apygoos: No, I like that idea :) That's definitely something we can use as part of the main storyline. Maybe Jason joins the Light with Ra's' patronage. And part of the story in Dick and the others trying to bring Jason back to their side.

apygoos

Tats a neat concept about it, my person thought on it was more a Red Hood and The Outlaws kinda thing, making the more violent and openly feared aspect of vigilante "justice" come about. It would allow for a return of Arsenal anda  few others.

Either way, Jason's return in itself could prompt the return of Dick from Bludhaven. Funny enough, in the "Under the Red Hood" animated film, it was Nightwing that came to town with critical intel for Bruce about this bloody vigilante.
I still remember what Jason did to Tim in Battle for the Cowl...good thing big brother Dick was on the case.  but man Nightwing vs Red Hood was fucking awesome.

KnowThySire

Not going to lie, that Red Hood storyline sounds like a lot of fun. Interested to see what you guys do with that.

As for the whole Nightwing/ Batgirl discussion, just make it easy on yourself, Phantom, and focus more on the friendship between Babara and Dick rather than their nightlife. It's clear that's what Aria wants out of the relationship. For them to actually be friends and not just fuck-buddies from time to time. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me, Aria.

Also, Lyra, would it be alright if when I finally had Wally escape the Speed Force, he becomes a true Flash. Juggs brought it up to me, and I feel it would be a nice reward for the sacrifice he made at the end of the show. Let me know your thoughts.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 16, 2014, 11:07:31 AM
I'm down with that.

Great!

What I'm saying is that Barbara and Dick have an intimacy, that doesn't have to be physical, that allows her to do things like that without it being personal.  It's like a best friend taking the "wind out of your sails".  It happens.  I've had friendships with guys, who I've never had any physical relationship with, where I would say something like that just to fluster him.  Especially someone who is normally cool and collected.  Yes, it provided levity and that was the whole point.  She got one over on Dick and scored points with the girls.  win-win.

I agree that Dick and Babs have this sort of relationship, but I would also posit that Dick has that sort of relationship with a lot of people.

Yeah, but she was like 13-14 in that episode and wasn't Batgirl, yet.

I don't dispute that.

You can disagree all you want, until you've spent time as a female in a business or job that is primarily male populated, you won't understand what I'm talking about.  Batman and Dick don't need to be chauvinistic or prejudice, that has nothing to do with it.  Are you suggesting that things were easier for her than they were for Jason or Tim?  If you are that's a prejudice in itself.  Easier than what Dick went through, to a degree, I'd agree.  However, Dick being #1 and Barb always trying to be just as good, is a key to their early dynamic and eventual friendship.  There are enough "I always beat him" quips by Barb in the YJ comics to make the point.  She's fiercely competitive with him.  He doesn't have to be competitive in return.  I absolutely agree that Dick would want both Barb and Tim to succeed, never said otherwise.  Driving her to be better than he is could easily be seen as friendly competition, never suggested that their competition wasn't friendly.

1.  I rather like Lyra's explanation, and can live with her reasoning.

2.  I never, implicitly or explicitly, stated that Barbara had it easier than Tim or Jason.  Like you said, they all had it easier than Dick -- with the exception of maybe Tim, whose training mostly took place after the death of Jason Todd.

3.  I do not mind if Barbara perceives that there exists a 'friendly' competition between her and Nightwing.  I feel like Nightwing is playful enough to go along with it without taking it seriously.

Quote from: apygoos on May 16, 2014, 11:56:46 AM
Tats a neat concept about it, my person thought on it was more a Red Hood and The Outlaws kinda thing, making the more violent and openly feared aspect of vigilante "justice" come about. It would allow for a return of Arsenal anda  few others.

Either way, Jason's return in itself could prompt the return of Dick from Bludhaven. Funny enough, in the "Under the Red Hood" animated film, it was Nightwing that came to town with critical intel for Bruce about this bloody vigilante.
I still remember what Jason did to Tim in Battle for the Cowl...good thing big brother Dick was on the case.  but man Nightwing vs Red Hood was fucking awesome.

I haven't decided what led Nightwing to return to The Team.  I am not a big fan of the Red Hood, though -- I soured on him because the storyline that initially brought him back was just so bad.

In my mind, Nightwing has spent the last six months operating out of his warehouse hideout in Bludhaven.  He's a social person, and has maintained regular communications with his friends.  The death of Wally West has greatly affected him, and he is currently seeing Black Canary on a regular basis for therapy.  He feels deeply ashamed for withholding information from his friends, despite the fact that his ruse worked.  Despite his absence, he still occasionally visits The Team, and has helped in the transition of leadership.

So, it's not like Nightwing went incommunicado for six months.  He has been present as a moral supporter, and has stepped in whenever he was needed.  He understands that he has responsibilities to The Team, and those manifest themselves in different ways.

On a social level, he's probably dating Bette Kane.  It's nothing serious.

I would like for his relationship with Deathstroke to have advanced considerably, like that in the comics.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: TheRomanticPerv on May 16, 2014, 01:16:35 PM

Also, Lyra, would it be alright if when I finally had Wally escape the Speed Force, he becomes a true Flash. Juggs brought it up to me, and I feel it would be a nice reward for the sacrifice he made at the end of the show. Let me know your thoughts.

Oh, absolutely. I saw that as a given the entire time.

KnowThySire

:o

It was not, but I'm pleased to hear that.

*turns on sewing machine and begins to work on new flash costume*

AribethAmkiir

What if getting KF out of the SF is what brings Dick back?  Maybe Barbara or Tim find an odd unknown frequency.  They could initially believe that it's a remnant signal from the Reach, or something.  But, the more they decipher it the more they begin to believe that it is Wally.  They call Dick, because they know he'd want to know and invite him to help them with it.  After they rescue Wally, Dick rejoins the team?

@TheRomanticPerv: yes, I'd much more prefer something more meaningful than "fuck buddies".  I think the characters deserve a deeper relationship than that.

@Lyra: Thanks.  I appreciate you being able to explain it in a way that he agrees with.

apygoos

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 16, 2014, 01:21:53 PM
Great!

I haven't decided what led Nightwing to return to The Team.  I am not a big fan of the Red Hood, though -- I soured on him because the storyline that initially brought him back was just so bad.

In my mind, Nightwing has spent the last six months operating out of his warehouse hideout in Bludhaven.  He's a social person, and has maintained regular communications with his friends.  The death of Wally West has greatly affected him, and he is currently seeing Black Canary on a regular basis for therapy.  He feels deeply ashamed for withholding information from his friends, despite the fact that his ruse worked.  Despite his absence, he still occasionally visits The Team, and has helped in the transition of leadership.

So, it's not like Nightwing went incommunicado for six months.  He has been present as a moral supporter, and has stepped in whenever he was needed.  He understands that he has responsibilities to The Team, and those manifest themselves in different ways.

On a social level, he's probably dating Bette Kane.  It's nothing serious.

I would like for his relationship with Deathstroke to have advanced considerably, like that in the comics.
If that sullied your views on Jason, what theyre seemingly about to do with Damian Wayne sounds almost like the exact same thing. with the Robin Rising story arc.
there is only one other Robin that could "return" and thats Steph Brown, which makes no sense as the whole thing thus far has had to do with Damian's missing body.

KnowThySire

Quote from: apygoos on May 16, 2014, 02:52:30 PM
If that sullied your views on Jason, what theyre seemingly about to do with Damian Wayne sounds almost like the exact same thing. with the Robin Rising story arc.
there is only one other Robin that could "return" and thats Steph Brown, which makes no sense as the whole thing thus far has had to do with Damian's missing body.
I think I'd die laughing if that was the outcome.

@Ari: That'd be a different way for Wally to come back than I had planned, but I'd be for it.

AribethAmkiir

Not sure what the current plan is, but maybe we can incorporate the two or figure out a way for Dick's return to be tied into Wally's rescue.  *shrugs*  Really depends on other people's opinions and what the group feels would be the most interesting story.

Juggtacular

It'd be awesome if we had a Tigress for Wally's return.

LyraTigereyes

Okay, so how's this for an opening event?

The PC's, including Nightwing up for a visit, are on the Watchtower when an alert breaks out. A temporal surge has been detected in Antarctica (I think that's where Wally left, going to re-watch Season 2 again soon). The team piles into the Super-Cycle, which has been shown to carry about this many before, and goes to investigate. When they arrive, they find the Light's junior team (Mammoth, Shimmer, Jinx, Gizmo, Psimon) already on the scene, being lead by a new figure: Red Hood. The fight starts up, Gizmo has a device set up to try and capture the energy from the surge, and that's what pulls Wally back from the Speed Force.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 16, 2014, 03:28:58 PM

The PC's, including Nightwing up for a visit, are on the Watchtower when an alert breaks out. A temporal surge has been detected in Antarctica (I think that's where Wally left, going to re-watch Season 2 again soon). The team piles into the Super-Cycle, which has been shown to carry about this many before, and goes to investigate. When they arrive, they find the Light's junior team (Mammoth, Shimmer, Jinx, Gizmo, Psimon) already on the scene, being lead by a new figure: Red Hood. The fight starts up, Gizmo has a device set up to try and capture the energy from the surge, and that's what pulls Wally back from the Speed Force.

I like the idea, but I would like for the game to start RIGHT when Wally gets pulled back.  Otherwise, whoever is playing Wally's going to sit around for, like, a month.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

AribethAmkiir

That's a good point.  I don't see anything wrong with us starting at the exact moment, or even a few seconds, before Wally's return.  It would be mid-fight.  Lots of action and a lot going on in general.  Would make for a fun scene.

A question about Zatanna - a lot of episodes don't have her in them, unless it is specifically magic related or she's there to counter an evil magic caster.  This is usually due to her being so powerful that she could defeat most anything in a matter of seconds.  How are we going to approach this in the game?  She would already be a full-fledged member of the Justice League, so acting as if she was inexperienced wouldn't work.  Please, don't take offense Loves, I'm just asking now, in the planning phase, so that we don't have to deal with it later on, after the game has started.

LyraTigereyes

We start In Media Res, with the fight already going on.

apygoos

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 16, 2014, 03:28:58 PM

its a good notion but: if temporal stuff and speedforce is involved Id think youd want The Flash to tag along with Impulse on that mission. that way they could in a manner of speaking recreate that rift in the speedforce for Wally to return, along with some cool new look about himself.

so then once wally is back the concern is..if these young villains are not lead by the Light, who /is/ this Red Hood?

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 16, 2014, 03:49:38 PM
We start In Media Res, with the fight already going on.
If the fight is going on, I could see Nightwing or Robin being insta targets for this Red Hood guy, he seems angry and alot more well trained than most of their opponents in the past

LyraTigereyes

apygoos: No, they will still be part of The Light; Red Hood is just the newest member. Impulse can be busy on another mission with Barry; that's why I'm bringing Gizmo there so that there's a device that can pull Wally out, in absence of a speedster.

KnowThySire

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 16, 2014, 03:38:25 PM
I like the idea, but I would like for the game to start RIGHT when Wally gets pulled back.  Otherwise, whoever is playing Wally's going to sit around for, like, a month.

That's why I was going to try to figure out a way to have him get out on his own. I'd only be sitting around for a few posts. Maybe longer if I wanted to draw it out and make it really challenging. Didn't get to do any research last night, so if Wally needs outside help to get out, we'll have to go with Lyra's plot.

I'd prefer not to start with Wally already have returned. Gives people time to have their characters mourn and be all emo cause I know that's when all of you guys write your best. :P

apygoos

Quote from: LyraTigereyes on May 16, 2014, 04:00:27 PM
apygoos: No, they will still be part of The Light; Red Hood is just the newest member. Impulse can be busy on another mission with Barry; that's why I'm bringing Gizmo there so that there's a device that can pull Wally out, in absence of a speedster.
i severely doubt that Jason would join the light[under normal circumstances[. In fact, did Ras ever make it back to the lazarus pit after getting stabbed my Black Beetle? the only ones who escaped were Witchboy and Vandal

LyraTigereyes

Quote from: apygoos on May 16, 2014, 04:41:11 PM
i severely doubt that Jason would join the light[under normal circumstances[. In fact, did Ras ever make it back to the lazarus pit after getting stabbed my Black Beetle? the only ones who escaped were Witchboy and Vandal

R'as always escapes :)

And I think that jason would join The Light under the right sales pitch. Remember, Vandal's organized the Light as a means of ensuring human evolution and that the strong are the ones that survive, rather than the week being protected. Lethal force is acceptable to purge the weak, so jason can go all out on petty criminals and mobsters to 'clean up the streets'. Jason could see that not as 'protecting the weak', but leveling the playing field.

Also, there's always the possibility of Queen Bee mesmerizing him :)

apygoos

so i had to post these clips here, one comes before the other but the whole confrontation with the light is just so..yea

LyraTigereyes

Oh, I know the final fight is really intense. But, remember the two prime rules of comics:

1)The Villains always escape to return
2)No one ever really dies except for Uncle Ben and the Waynes

:)

Cold Heritage

It would probably be for the best if I did not have occasion to indulge in an angsty Superboy.

LyraTigereyes: Do you that it would be possible that Superboy has been receiving gene therapy on Mars during his time there? I was thinking of an end result of having it age Superboy into his mid-twenties and bring a commensurate increase in the abilities he does possess, and perhaps allow him Heat Vision, though not any of the other advanced Kryptonian abilities that his hybrid status deny him. I imagine that Superboy would still be the designated punching bag character, though.

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 16, 2014, 03:11:39 AM
@CH: By the time the game starts, Connor will have been working with some of the other members of The Team for close to 5 years.  It seems awfully limiting to the RP and your character to toss everyone besides Wally and Dick into the "acquaintance" zone.  These are people he fights beside nearly everyday.  They trust him with their life and he trusts them with his, or at least, that's what I gathered.  I understand your take.  He didn't share much screen time with any of the other characters.  It just seems odd that after years he'd still consider them "acquaintances" and not friends.

Superboy would trust all of the team members with his life and to have his back in a battle, and he would put himself in harm's way for any of them, certainly. Even Lagoon Boy. Someone like Blue Beetle, I think, would probably approach friend territory out of the Season 2 characters. He might be more considerate of Batgirl and Robin, in the context of their relationship with Nightwing, but there does not seem to be canonical basis for anything stronger.

LyraTigereyes

Cold Heritage: I think that the general increase could be possible, but the gene therapy wouldn't necessarily be needed. Kryptonians get stronger the longer they're exposed to yellow solar radiation, and Kon's been awake and about for 5 years now; I'm sure his strength would improve. Perhaps the solar suit and radiation exposure he had at Cadimus wasn't as effective as a natural source, like the difference between the sun and a UV lamp for tanning: both get the job done, but the natural source is slower and doesn't harm your body as much. With this explanation, the Heat Vision and X-Ray vision could develop too.

Cold Heritage

If memory serves, in the show Superboy would be forever sixteen physically and required Luthor's Shield patches to access more advanced abilities. It briefly came up that after the time skip that, physically, he was identical to when he emerged from the Cadmus pod. Since the Shields worked to suppress the human DNA in Superboy, it seemed the gene therapy would be an avenue to overcome his physiological stasis.

LyraTigereyes

Well, if you want to do it that way, I certainly have no problem with it :) The improvements you're suggesting are quite reasonable :)

Loves

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 16, 2014, 03:48:38 PM

A question about Zatanna - a lot of episodes don't have her in them, unless it is specifically magic related or she's there to counter an evil magic caster.  This is usually due to her being so powerful that she could defeat most anything in a matter of seconds.  How are we going to approach this in the game?  She would already be a full-fledged member of the Justice League, so acting as if she was inexperienced wouldn't work.  Please, don't take offense Loves, I'm just asking now, in the planning phase, so that we don't have to deal with it later on, after the game has started.

I play her in another game. She has weaknesses.

Metahuman Powers:   Zatanna usually casts spells by speaking verbal commands backwards. Overuse of her magical powers can deplete them to the point that further use of them starts to put a considerable strain on her physical well-being. The only way to restore her waning powers is an extended period of rest. Her powers are tied to her self-confidence. Should she find herself emotionally and psychologically shattered, she could risk becoming powerless, until she was able to restore her lost confidence.

I'm going away this weekend.  I doubt I'll be on here chatting. best to work things out with me over PM.
ON HIATUS AGAIN

AribethAmkiir

I'm going to step away from this.  Good luck.

LyraTigereyes

Sorry to see you go, Ari :( But you're always welcome back if you change your mind.

Okay, I think we've got most of the big things hashed out. I'll put up the OOC thread and character sheet tomorrow and we can get the opening event going :)

Edit: We now have an OOC thread up and running, as well as the main action and social threads. Get your character sheets filled out and posted! :)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=204191.0

VoluptuousVixen

Juggtacular