heaters

Started by Serephino, August 13, 2016, 11:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

My boyfriend wants to get a kerosene heater for this winter to save on electric.  It's not a bad idea since our average electric bill last winter was almost $400.  But, I've heard they can have problems with carbon monoxide.  Can anyone recommend a good brand/model to get that isn't super expensive?  He wants to get one soonish while he's still getting good hours at his new job, and before it gets cold and the prices go up.

Oreo

I can't offer information on brands, but there is good information here about the safety factors of a kerosene heater.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

LostInTheMist

I had good experiences with a Duraheat 23,000 BTU heater. ( http://www.wayfair.com/DuraHeat-23-000-BTU-Portable-Kerosene-Convection-Tower-Heater-DH2304-L997-K~DAHT1000.html?refid=GX103455993643-DAHT1000&device=c&ptid=202110829483&gclid=CJKPzeOUwM4CFQxrfgodwEEGgA )

Cant say how well it stacks up after time though. I only used it for one winter. (And our winters are fairly mild so it wasn't on all that often.)
My Apologies and Absences  Updated March 24, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: Unusually long bout of insomnia is slowing my posting rate.

Serephino

Quote from: Oreo on August 13, 2016, 11:33:40 PM
I can't offer information on brands, but there is good information here about the safety factors of a kerosene heater.

Thanks.  Yeah, fire is a concern too.

The Dark Raven

Keep in mind, the increased cost of kerosene to fuel the heater goes up in winter (they do gouge a bit), so it may not be cost effective depending on how warm you like your place to be.  I have known people with kerosene heaters to end up having a higher kerosene bill than the electrical bill was (and still have to pay the electric on top of it).

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Serephino

*nods*  I will mention that to my boyfriend.  He's under the impression it will be so much cheaper.

CaptainErotica

My wife is the same way. The main room of our house us huge ( maybe 100ftx100ft) and being in Japan there is no central heating. When we first moved in I bought one of the larger heaters that worked great for the size of our house. But according to her it used up too much kerosene. So instead we now use three separate heaters using just as much if not more kerosene. On average we spend about ¥5000 ($50) per week on kerosene. And that's not even counting the bedroom upstairs. She refuses to use a heater up there, so it is like the Arctic Circle up there. I've got icicles growing off my nose hairs and her solution? Put on more clothes. She wears like four layers of clothes to bed under like five blankets. And I'm over on my side of the bed next to the cold drafty window freezing because I can't sleep with that much crap on me.

Summer is opposite. No AC (wall unit is too expensive) so we'll just use ten electric fans instead. Makes sense. Meanwhile I'm sitting T my PC sweating like can of soda on a hot day in the Sahara desert because everyone keeps pointing the fans away from my desk. Then at night the fan, when she uses it is on her side of he bed thus mostly blocked you her body.

Sorry about the mi I rant. Basically depending on the size of your home you are looking at about $100 per month on kerosene.bmore or less if you use it often or less often.