What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Yeah, even if they sold stuff in store here, which they rarely do, they're way too expensive. So I'm ordering from somewhere eventually. The video reviews mentioned that the card comes in a few versions... 1, 2, and 3gb. Is the bigger ones worth it? o.o

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sabby on September 05, 2012, 08:00:39 PM
Yeah, even if they sold stuff in store here, which they rarely do, they're way too expensive. So I'm ordering from somewhere eventually. The video reviews mentioned that the card comes in a few versions... 1, 2, and 3gb. Is the bigger ones worth it? o.o

More gb mean more expensive.  You should probably just get the 2gb.  The vid they where showing with the graphics card was the 2gb and I believe they only had one in the rig.  You should be more worried about your power supply.  Do not get one that isn't 80+ certified.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Sabby

Sorry to keep asking, but this is all very confusing for me Dx I looked it up on Newegg (the card) and for some reason there's a million different versions of exactly the same card... I see ASUS, EVGA, MSI, ZOTAC, ect, and they all have the same name, but a different case and model number, plus slightly different prices.

Which am I supposed to get? o.o

Oniya

Those are different hardware companies.  I recognized ASUS off the top of my head, and right-click-google'd the other three.  Think of it like car shopping:  You know you want a red four-door sedan, but do you want a Ford, a Subaru, or a Vauxhall?  If you don't know a thing about cars, you look at the reviews, and see what other people have experienced with regards to performance and customer service.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

I hate having to clog up the thread with my ignorance Dx I'm pretty sure I have a handle on the graphics card at this point, it's just the power supply I'm still a bit lost with.

NEW OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular ATX Power Supply

This is what I'm looking at right now. I'm sticking to Ebay unless I find a better local online store, which I haven't. The prices seem more diverse on Ebay, even set to local, so I think I should be okay with it.

SinXAzgard21

That is what you want. How much are you dropping on it through Ebay?

Hemingway

I've been playing some more Jagged Alliance 2. I used my IT skills to edit the .ini ( no Drassen counter-attack ) and that made the game playable. It still has some problem ( like how often enemies seem to hit and do damage, even at absurd ranges, with peashooters, against good armor ), but I can see why it's a classic.

I read a tip in a strategy guide, that you should only attack locations at night, using stealth. I'm not sure if daytime missions wouldn't work just as well, but it is fun, considering my IMP merc is a complete ninja. I think he has something like 80 kills at this point, while the second best one has something like 20. Because he's the one who hunts down stragglers at night, using his superior stealth, marksmanship, and equipment.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on September 06, 2012, 09:46:56 AM
I hate having to clog up the thread with my ignorance Dx I'm pretty sure I have a handle on the graphics card at this point, it's just the power supply I'm still a bit lost with.

NEW OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular ATX Power Supply

This is what I'm looking at right now. I'm sticking to Ebay unless I find a better local online store, which I haven't. The prices seem more diverse on Ebay, even set to local, so I think I should be okay with it.

I wonder, Sabby...have you heard of...the egg?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017&Tpk=OCZ%20ModXStream%20Pro%20600W%20Modular%20ATX%20Power%20Supply

Oniya

Um - Wolfy?  Sin already covered that.  Little matter of needing to be able to ship to Australia.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Quote from: Oniya on September 06, 2012, 09:15:16 PM
Um - Wolfy?  Sin already covered that.  Little matter of needing to be able to ship to Australia.

Sabby's in Australia? @_@

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Wolfy on September 06, 2012, 09:32:22 PM
Sabby's in Australia? @_@

Yeah, so he knows what he is looking for.  Just he needs to find it local.

Wolfy

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on September 06, 2012, 09:44:04 PM
Yeah, so he knows what he is looking for.  Just he needs to find it local.

......T_T...I was just trying to help...

*flees to his bush*

Lirliel

Quote from: Hemingway on September 06, 2012, 06:21:59 PM
I've been playing some more Jagged Alliance 2. I used my IT skills to edit the .ini ( no Drassen counter-attack ) and that made the game playable. It still has some problem ( like how often enemies seem to hit and do damage, even at absurd ranges, with peashooters, against good armor ), but I can see why it's a classic.

I read a tip in a strategy guide, that you should only attack locations at night, using stealth. I'm not sure if daytime missions wouldn't work just as well, but it is fun, considering my IMP merc is a complete ninja. I think he has something like 80 kills at this point, while the second best one has something like 20. Because he's the one who hunts down stragglers at night, using his superior stealth, marksmanship, and equipment.

So.. he's evil Batman?

But night-fighting is 'fun', I just like Day-combat more. Simply for the fact that it forces you to be more strategic, and I never had much trouble with enemies hitting me at insane distances.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Hemingway

Quote from: Lirliel on September 07, 2012, 09:01:18 AM
So.. he's evil Batman?

But night-fighting is 'fun', I just like Day-combat more. Simply for the fact that it forces you to be more strategic, and I never had much trouble with enemies hitting me at insane distances.

Well... he does have the 'Malicious' trait...  >:)

Sabby

It's okay Wolfy, you were just trying to help ^^

The graphics card is $355. That is the best local price I've found, before someone jumps at me Dx hell, it's 50 bucks cheaper then the computer store will charge me.

The power supply $120. Once again, best I can do with 80+ Cert.

I'd like to get them cheaper, and I'm open to ordering international if it gets me a better price, but unless I can find a better option, I'm looking at $575. I already have 100 tucked away.

Correction: The store is charging 400 for 1GB card. I'm getting the 2GB card for 355. So I'm actually doing pretty well.

Immortal Flame

Hey guys! :)  I've been playing Uncharted most recently.  I just love all the games in this series!  The story and drama appeal to me in every way.  Plus I am looking forward to Assassin's Creed very soon! 

And totally drooling over the Metal Gear info that keeps dropping all over the place.  I see I'm not the only one excited about these possibilities, though is any one else a little anxious about who might play in the movie? I'm just not sure who I would cast in there.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sabby on September 07, 2012, 09:21:37 AM
It's okay Wolfy, you were just trying to help ^^

The graphics card is $355. That is the best local price I've found, before someone jumps at me Dx hell, it's 50 bucks cheaper then the computer store will charge me.

The power supply $120. Once again, best I can do with 80+ Cert.

I'd like to get them cheaper, and I'm open to ordering international if it gets me a better price, but unless I can find a better option, I'm looking at $575. I already have 100 tucked away.

Correction: The store is charging 400 for 1GB card. I'm getting the 2GB card for 355. So I'm actually doing pretty well.

International shipping + insurance would have you at the same price.  So just get it where ever you got these prices from.

Hemingway

Still playing JA2. I wanted to start a new game on a higher difficulty ( and make some edits to merc profiles ), but ... I figured I might as well finish my first game first.

I'm just starting my night-time assault on Meduna, and my team is armed for bear. They're all equipped with the finest armor available, 3rd generation night vision, and some really high-quality weapons. Three of my guys use SMGs / carbines - some of the best ones in the game. I've also got two snipers, one armed with a powerful semi-auto and the other a VSS Vintorez - perfect for stalking people at night. The last one is using a machine gun / assault rifle hybrid. But she's also carrying an automatic grenade launcher. And my explosives expert is bringing a mortar. With enough shells to level the city. In other words, if stealth doesn't work, I'll bring shock and awe.

Lirliel

Just some tips for Meduna if you want to listen, be careful of Mines, Bloodcats and Tanks.  All three will be encountered, all three are extremely dangerous.

You've got a fairly balanced load-out, though I'd recommend getting at least 1 or 2 RPG's, they aren't that crazy expensive. That or a LAW to pop tanks from a safe distance, and create new doors in buildings. Also if you can't find Didi well check fireplaces ;)
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Brandon

Still playing Dark souls and Im really liking this sorcerer build. Im using a magic estoc with the dragon crest shield but with all the attunement slots I have I rarely have to rely on my sword/shield or I just end up using them to take out really easy opponents

Although Im kind of conflicted now. My paladin character (Knight class with heavy faith for support/healing) was a member of the way of white. They're pretty much the lawful good covenant who are out to help others and avoid conflict with other covenants. However with this sorcerer Im really thinking of trying something else. I thought about going with the Chaos servant covenant but thats more pyromancy focused then sorcery focused. Im kind of thinking about joining the Darkmoon blades so I can hunt down sinners
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

Quote from: Lirliel on September 09, 2012, 12:20:49 AM
Just some tips for Meduna if you want to listen, be careful of Mines, Bloodcats and Tanks.  All three will be encountered, all three are extremely dangerous.

You've got a fairly balanced load-out, though I'd recommend getting at least 1 or 2 RPG's, they aren't that crazy expensive. That or a LAW to pop tanks from a safe distance, and create new doors in buildings. Also if you can't find Didi well check fireplaces ;)

I did accidentally run into a minefield. I'd expected the airport runway to be safe, but nooo...

I've encountered one tank so far. I could've blown it up, but I slipped by unnoticed instead. Stealth, hoo! It's crazy what a team with proper stealth equipment can do. There's no need for cover when your enemy can't see you, can't hear you, and is dead before they even get a chance to shoot back.

Edit: Here's my main problem with JA2. My guys are expert marksmen. They've got more marksmanship and dexterity than you can shake a stick at. They've got extremely precise weapons. But even with perfectly aimed shots from a crouched or prone position, they still miss with alarming regularity. Unlike the enemy, which often hits even at extreme ranges. With bursts. Standing up. After moving.

Sabby

The Leagüe and I (Lady Gaga Parody) - JonTron

For you League of Legends players. And Lady Gaga fans. I'm neither, so the video was wasted on me Dx

Lirliel

Quote from: Hemingway on September 09, 2012, 07:35:31 AM
I did accidentally run into a minefield. I'd expected the airport runway to be safe, but nooo...

I've encountered one tank so far. I could've blown it up, but I slipped by unnoticed instead. Stealth, hoo! It's crazy what a team with proper stealth equipment can do. There's no need for cover when your enemy can't see you, can't hear you, and is dead before they even get a chance to shoot back.

Edit: Here's my main problem with JA2. My guys are expert marksmen. They've got more marksmanship and dexterity than you can shake a stick at. They've got extremely precise weapons. But even with perfectly aimed shots from a crouched or prone position, they still miss with alarming regularity. Unlike the enemy, which often hits even at extreme ranges. With bursts. Standing up. After moving.

Well are you using attachments, they help a great deal, the same with the very obvious use of equipment, but it seems like your doing that already.

As for the enemy often times hitting you from crazy distances, well maybe they have night-vision too, night-scopes on their weapons. All sorts of things, trust me, they are armed to the teeth. Never underestimate them.

And blow up the tanks if you want to 'take' Meduna, because they count as opponents, as for minefields, try to get a very good EXP merc, or a metal detector, remember the batteries!

Hemingway

Quote from: Lirliel on September 09, 2012, 01:20:26 PM
Well are you using attachments, they help a great deal, the same with the very obvious use of equipment, but it seems like your doing that already.

As for the enemy often times hitting you from crazy distances, well maybe they have night-vision too, night-scopes on their weapons. All sorts of things, trust me, they are armed to the teeth. Never underestimate them.

And blow up the tanks if you want to 'take' Meduna, because they count as opponents, as for minefields, try to get a very good EXP merc, or a metal detector, remember the batteries!

I'm really only concerned with killing Deidranna. I decided to put off my Meduna attack to get Grumm. Not that I need it, but ... I figured I might as well wait for the highest level of weapons and equipment to arrive, and ... well, I got really annoyed when I ran into a minefield and got stuck. I started the level in a minefield. When I tried to leave, there were mines behind me as well. Thankfully I'd saved just before making the trip to Meduna, but it was extremely annoying.

I do want to finish the game, though. And after that start a new one, and try new mercs and weapons. I actually did start a new game, but ... well, going from Novice to Experienced made the game not just more challenging, but more frustrating, in my opinion. I can deal with more and better enemies. But when it also makes militias train slower, and sends more attackers, well, that's just frustrating. Defending towns is the least interesting part of the game, if you ask me. I want to just leave my militia there, and have them deal with attackers.

There's one thing I really want to do when I do start a new game: use the editor to make Flo better. Or, you know, 'actually useful'. I like her a lot. But it bothers me that she has no use outside of training the militia. I'm not going to boost her stats to the level of really good mercs, but rather even her out so that she can at least do something.