What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

So, I'm kind of sorta back. I've got game backlog to divulge. So here it goes.

Dark Void. I thought it was pretty good, but jetpacks tend to make everything better.
Mafia II. Tell me please, why did you even bother with a sandbox element? I could say the same for L.A. Noir, but at least it had random crime...
Saint's Row. I'm kind of amazed it got a sequel but...
Saint's Row 2. I'm glad it got a sequel, because it's so much better than the first.
Mirror's Edge. I thought it was a fun idea that suffered from a lack of direction. A for effort DICE.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

dready

Quote from: Oniya on August 03, 2011, 11:54:09 AM
Mr. Oniya and I are going to start playing 'Tales of the Abyss' soon.  We used to do this a lot - he'd work the controller, and I'd help out with puzzles and strategy (like noting what seems to actually be working on a boss while he's busy button-mashing).
There's a couple of fights early on that are difficult as hell to beat without blocking. Your controller-pilot bud should understand how to block otherwise you'll be stuck with lots of replays.

Also, co-op isn't that difficult mid-combat. :3

Oniya

Combat's really weird.  There doesn't seem to be the same level of control that you usually have of the main character's actions.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

dready

Quote from: Oniya on August 05, 2011, 12:39:31 PM
Combat's really weird.  There doesn't seem to be the same level of control that you usually have of the main character's actions.
Yeah, the actual ability to move around the combat area in 3D is wonky. I just use the trigger that is associated to the 3D ordeal to place myself, let go and tap the direction the enemy is at, and then attack or block. It's a tricky strategy to get use to, especially if you're use to Tales of Symphoria combat controls.

Oniya

This is our first 'Tales' game, with the exception of a grand total of 10 minutes I spent trying to get past the first battle in Tales of Phantasia on the GBA.  So on the one hand, we don't have any controls to 'unlearn'.

Quote from: rocknrolla on August 03, 2011, 12:12:27 PM
I've heard such wonderful things about "Tale of the Abyss", I'm quite sure its by the same developer who did "Tales of Vesperia", and I loved that installment. Is "Tales of the Abyss" on Playstation 2?

(Sorry, missed seeing this)  Yes, it's on the PS2.  We aren't in a position to always get the latest system, and the PS2 currently gives us the most gameplay potential (tons of old PS1 games, along with PS2 games that are now cut-rate at the stores.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Just reserved my copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I think I've said this before. I played the original and I liked Invisible War (Story and the idea of the biomechanical, nanotech stuff interests me a lot more than stats anyway.) so the only way they could possibly let me down is if they don't let me pull people through walls like they advertised.

Plus, I pre-ordered Skyrim too. That was mainly to have a copy waiting and so that I could get the cool map. Probably said this before too.

Brother picked up the Orange Box (he's never played it) and Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. All I can say is anything to fill the void.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Lol... still on Penumba. I've gone the whole game so far with the Rambo approach and had no issues, but the game has suddenly become a cheating bastard. There are two dogs in one place. Sure, I could sneak past, but I refuse! I will murder every dog in this game, because I am stubborn and bored.

Attempt 1.

Let dog see me. Run away. Lead to new area. Fight it. It howls and brings it friend. Dead.

Attempt 2.

I open a metal crate and leave some beef jerky inside. The dog goes in. I quickly shut the door and ram a box up against it to keep it shut. The dog somehow manages to shoulder barge the door off its hinges. Dead.

Attempt 3.

Same idea as last, but this time attempting to cheat the physics. The dogs have AI to break doors... but they can't jump! So push TWO boxes, to totally block the way. It just pushes the boxes away. Dead.

Attempt 4.

Same idea as last, but this time, I placed a gas canister just inside. When I spring the trap, I hit it with a pick axe to break the top and send it into the crate, then shut the door and FUCKING LEG IT! Hiding... waiting... go back. No body. It survived the explosion. I know. Because it bit me in the ass. Dead.

Attempt 5.

I stack some boxes on top of a packing crate, get on top with my gas cannister. Throw down some jerky. Dog comes. It see's me! Hit gas cannister, goes flipping, clocks it right in the face, sends it ragdoll. Boom. Dog ragdolls into wall. Gets up, runs off. Howls. Comes back.

And that's where I am... sitting on this box looking at these two unfriendly zombie dogs o.O the fuck do I do now?

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on August 06, 2011, 02:51:20 PM
Just reserved my copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I think I've said this before. I played the original and I liked Invisible War (Story and the idea of the biomechanical, nanotech stuff interests me a lot more than stats anyway.) so the only way they could possibly let me down is if they don't let me pull people through walls like they advertised.

Plus, I pre-ordered Skyrim too. That was mainly to have a copy waiting and so that I could get the cool map. Probably said this before too.

Brother picked up the Orange Box (he's never played it) and Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. All I can say is anything to fill the void.

I plan to pre-order skyrim, but I'm torn as to whether or not to get the collector's edition...

See, I want to be a Game Designer/Developer, so having a DVD that takes you from Conception to Creation of the game would be really nice, as would be that foot tall dragon statue, but $150? D:

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on August 06, 2011, 05:59:28 PM
I plan to pre-order skyrim, but I'm torn as to whether or not to get the collector's edition...

See, I want to be a Game Designer/Developer, so having a DVD that takes you from Conception to Creation of the game would be really nice, as would be that foot tall dragon statue, but $150? D:
You suffer for your art, man. That's why I picked up writing. The most I've spent on books is about twenty bucks for one. :)

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on August 06, 2011, 06:17:37 PM
You suffer for your art, man. That's why I picked up writing. The most I've spent on books is about twenty bucks for one. :)

I know, right?

Especially since gaming is an art form now. (Which is super sweet..now I can totally be like "I want to be an artist" whenever someone asks me what I want to do. lol)

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on August 06, 2011, 06:48:00 PM
I know, right?

Especially since gaming is an art form now. (Which is super sweet..now I can totally be like "I want to be an artist" whenever someone asks me what I want to do. lol)
Take that Roger Ebert!
Nah-na-na-na-neh-neh!

It's nice I can be so mature.

Wolfy

I love left4dead 2...because if you ever get bored, you can always just go download an add-on to spice things up. :D

slowmojoe

I'm currently working on Folklore for the ps3, since my system crashed and I lost all my save data :( Also working on Odin Sphere. Now those are some pretty games.

I also managed to get Civ V while it was on sale on Steam. Looking forward to some multiplayer Civ for the first time.

Still playing Diablo II, cause I can't give it up. Even though I have Torchlight.

I would play my XBox, but my wife won't stop playing DragonAge.  Now that she got accepted to the forums, however,  I might get a chance to play the game myself.

Inkidu

Team Fortress 2 officially sucks on the grounds that I can't actually play it. :)

Breezing through Portal. I've got to stay with my first assessment very hand-holdy. I liked Portal 2 when they let you out into the old areas. Lot more challenging to me.

CheetahInAfrica

Warcraft I, II + Add-On, III + Add-on, but NO WoW
Diablo I + Add-on, Diablo II + Add-on
Baldur's Gate I + Add-on, Baldur's Gate II + Add-on (Best game ever imo)
Icewind Dale I + Add-on, Icewind Dale II + Add-on
Battlefield 1942
Laugh and the whole world will laugh with you!
Weep and you will weep alone!

The city changes, but the fools within are always the same.

Wolfy

Is Diablo 2 still worth playing after so long? I have it installed, I've just never played it.

Speaking of things I've never played,

27 games that I have never, ever played before are installed on my computer thanks to Steam sales.

..oh Steam, why must you hurt so good?

dready

Quote from: Sabby on August 06, 2011, 05:16:30 PMAnd that's where I am... sitting on this box looking at these two unfriendly zombie dogs o.O the fuck do I do now?
This is why I love reading this thread Sabby, because of your scenarios.

Does dropping things in reach on the dogs injure them?

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on August 06, 2011, 05:16:30 PM

And that's where I am... sitting on this box looking at these two unfriendly zombie dogs o.O the fuck do I do now?

Well if they're anything like THIS dog. *points to self* they just want to bend you over a table. ;D

Now whether that's metaphorical or not, you decide.

Sabby

I reloaded and killed one with two explosives xD the other was easy enough to beat. Up tp episode 2, and the games gotten better... but taken a big change and some of it don't work. We've gone from Amnesia to Fallout, basically, so stuck in an underground vault thats gone to shit with 'dark humor' on the intercom. Plus its pulling a Darkness, with an evil voice in your head, but the thing sounds like the couch from Rocky x.x

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 07, 2011, 09:59:18 PM
I reloaded and killed one with two explosives xD the other was easy enough to beat. Up tp episode 2, and the games gotten better... but taken a big change and some of it don't work. We've gone from Amnesia to Fallout, basically, so stuck in an underground vault thats gone to shit with 'dark humor' on the intercom. Plus its pulling a Darkness, with an evil voice in your head, but the thing sounds like the couch from Rocky x.x
Oh my God, Rocky had a talking couch in it? I'm going to have to watch that movie again. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't think Diablo II's worth playing anymore, Wolfy. It doesn't age well, unless you're a fan. I know I'm not getting Diablo III. Blizzard just added another reason. Now you need to be online all the time to play it. Blizzard was actually shocked to find this didn't meet with overwhelming approval. Really? Has this ever worked? I don't think so.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on August 07, 2011, 10:32:40 PM
Oh my God, Rocky had a talking couch in it? I'm going to have to watch that movie again. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't think Diablo II's worth playing anymore, Wolfy. It doesn't age well, unless you're a fan. I know I'm not getting Diablo III. Blizzard just added another reason. Now you need to be online all the time to play it. Blizzard was actually shocked to find this didn't meet with overwhelming approval. Really? Has this ever worked? I don't think so.

Well, considering they're going to have a marketplace where people can trade real money with each other (Or plan to), being always online isn't a shock..nor is having constant content updates or changes thanks to an online connection.

I mean really, all those patches you get to your PC games? It's because they are always online. *whacks* Just taking it a step further to make it more like an MMO system is the next logical step..hellooooo.

Sabby

Need to get into a cryo lab. Doors locked. Oh, a hand scanner? Okay! Oh, my hand doesn't work... hey, a dead body! Cut hand off. Heh, the scanner says the owner of the hand is 'gravely ill'. Yeah, you could say that... now ya guna open up? No? Hmmm... where the manual.

Okay, okay, okay, in the event of mortal injury, blah blah blah, skip this chapter, health coverage, rich guy gets before me in the line, ah, here we are! Lab not staffed 24 hours, high prioroty patients wear heart rate monitors to allow themselves in. Hmm, where a monitor? Ah, right there on the chair!

I strap the monitor to the severed hand. Oh, wait... that doesn't have a heart .__. okay, I'll wear it then. Let me in now! Awww come on, I put on your big watch thing D= Gah, wheres that manual again... hmmm...

Yep, yep, yep, read this, upper class gets wristwatch thingy, montinors heart rate, carepackage, tacky black humor, yadda yadda, only opens when facing near death and-...

.__.

-___-' This sucks...

So I find a chair, throw it at the roof, then move underneath it. Clonk. Nope, not hurt yet. I know! Will use the saw on myself! =D ...wait, no! I'm not cutting bits off! D= that won't lower my heart rate... wait... medican cabinet! =D Omnomnomnom! Hurl chair, smash cabinet, fill syringe with random chemical, inject, keel over, barely survive, hobble through the now open cryo door.

This has been a victory for me. I shall now take my Honorary Mention in the Darwin Awards.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on August 07, 2011, 10:46:16 PM
Well, considering they're going to have a marketplace where people can trade real money with each other (Or plan to), being always online isn't a shock..nor is having constant content updates or changes thanks to an online connection.

I mean really, all those patches you get to your PC games? It's because they are always online. *whacks* Just taking it a step further to make it more like an MMO system is the next logical step..hellooooo.U
Dude, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm stuck playing vanilla games all the time. I still have to play vanilla New Vegas. I literally can't be online all the time to put the hours into a Diablo game. So hence I cannot play it, so I'm not going to waste my money. That was what made Diablo fun. You didn't have to be online to go through hours of fun.

I'm also not going to waste my money on Diablo 3.0. They've added new classes and the ability to chose your character's gender. Way to go Blizzard, thanks for reaching 2004. I think the rest is going to be the same old grind.  Then plus years for that, Blizzard should be ashamed. I mean what else new can they add? New areas are a given, but basically you're going to see a ton more loot that's pallet-swapped (or in most cases only different in name and stats).

Wolfy

Plus..when are you playing where you don't have an internet connection anyway? A gaming Laptop? Lawls.

Steamy Royal

Diablo 3...I actually think that game is going to be released on the PS3 too. Not that I'm going to buy it, I don't really have that big of an interest for that game xD. Though I have so many games that I need to finish anyway, and the sad truth is, that next month, there will be so many new games that I want. Top three are:

1: Resistance 3.

2: Dead Island.

3: Driver San Francisco.

I can't wait for those games. However, the games I'm currently trying to complete are Dynasty Warriors 7 (amazing game, can be rather annoying at some parts xD), and Yakuza 4, which is an awesome game too. I've completed F.3.A.R a little while ago, awesome game, but of course, I still don't have all the trophies in these games. Anyway, enough of ranting now xD.