In Her Lens {F looking for M to play a soldier}

Started by JuliettaRossi, September 09, 2012, 11:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuliettaRossi

In Her Lens - Vanessa saw the world through a lens, the sound of her camera the background for whatever her subject was. It was a kind of isolation that took her around the world. As of late, some of the drier, sandier locals where gunfire and crumbling building bombed out by soldiers and militia alike were the norm. She had her rounds of shots, protection from malaria, yellow fever and typhoid among many others. She lived in tents and under mosquito netting, caught an hour here and there in the rubble of buildings and the often cramped and crowded airport, train and bus terminals – many times still wearing her flack jacket with the stenciled word ‘PRESS’ on the front and back of it. It wasn’t a prestigious job or one with lots of frills, but it afforded her a look into other people’s lives.

The soldiers aren’t generally her target, but there’s one that catches her lens more than a couple of times. It’s a small town and there’s only a small contingent of troops here from the US who are here as peacekeepers – digging wells, helping rebuild, and trying to garner support from locals, but still wary of roadside bombs and sniper shots, still wearing flack jackets and helmets. She catches him handing out gum to some of the kids, kicking a soccer ball around while still in his fatigues after working all day. There’s almost no news media in this little end of the bombed out earth, just one group from CNN who is just passing through – staying in the hovel of a hotel that also happens to have one of the only palatable ‘restaurants’ in the area. Sometimes she catches a shot of him walking through town with some of the other solders while sitting in one of the wood chairs in the open-air patio area drinking tea.

In the coming days the violence would turn their way, despite the war being ‘over’ and the peace-keeping mission would turn into one of defense, the few from CNN and Vanessa were allowed to seek shelter with the contingent of military in the area. The reporters were able to get a line to their company and get out of the area, but there was no room to pack Vanessa into the vehicle already packed down with camera and electrical equipment, leaving her behind with the soldiers.

Alternate story idea: Instead of him being a soldier, another photographer perhaps? The two of them vying for the best shots? I think there's more in the soldier aspect, but I can certainly see the merit of a professional rivalry and how it would play into the story.

(Looking for someone to play the soldier that catches her eye. We can start the story from before the violence that brings them closer – maybe jumping through a little bit of time with things that happen – with what he has to do day to day and what she’s capturing through her lens. Or, after talking of course, we can start up the people from CNN and Vanessa being brought into the military area. Perhaps he’s noticed her, perhaps not. I would think it would be kinda hard not to notice her in such a place, but hey… Either way, this could be a short play or perhaps even longer. She doesn’t want to give up her job and run home, but if she’s forced to leave, maybe they find one another later. Looking for someone who may have a bit of military background to play this out (but also one who won’t be too upset if I get something wrong!! I try my best at research though!) but it’s not necessary.)

{Please click on the 'Cravings' link in my signature to take you to more information on role playing with me and please feel free to check out my Rabbit Hole page and any of my RPs to see how I write! Thanks!}

azzmeister89

this idea sounds great, i'm game if you'll have me