[Interest Check] oWoD Intrigue Game

Started by mystictiger, December 27, 2010, 06:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mystictiger

I have in mind running some kind of political chronicle using the oWoD system and setting. As to which precise one I'm not sure. The ideas that come to mind are:
-Dark Ages Vampire (no Baali)
-Dark Ages Mage (No nephandi or marauders)
-Mage: the Sorcerors Crusade (No nephandi or marauders)

The game would be low-combat, high-plotting. The players would necessarily be in an uneasy alliance of sorts, working both to further their clan / tradition / order goals, while at the same time trying to tame Transylvania.

Hm. It might even be possible to combine the two? Thoughts and indications of interest please.
Want a system game? I got system games!

Muse

*smiles* 

If you were doing Mage: The sorcerers' crusade I couldn't resist.  As is, I'll be keeping an eye on this. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

mystictiger

I hadn't thought of that! In fact, MtSC would be easier and more fun to run. Consider this updated!

Crowly

I've only ever played Mage: The Ascension, but I absolutely adored the way Mages worked in that game. If you'd be willin' to be patient and let me do some reading/research up on it I'd be totally down for a Mage game. Also, about the no Nephandi or Marauders. How do people even try to -justify- playing either one of those? The Nephandi are terrible irredeemable jack-wagons and the Marauders are...well. Call of Cthulu, you've lost all your sanity, character sheet is now the DM's. >.> But anyway, depending, I might be interested in something Mage related.

Sephora

-raises hand-

I'm in for the long haul Mystic! 

Scandal's, frilly dresses, and the supernatural? 

Perfect rp in the making. 

mystictiger

My experience is that people want to play Black Spiral Dancers / Baali / Nephandi / Marauders because they're cool and different and Evil Campaigns Are Fun (tm).

I tend to run fairly system-light games, and would be happy for players to go with a concept that works for them rather than a set of game mechanics. Depending on what kind of players I get, the 'uneasy alliance' will shift.

A group of Order of Reason mages (aka Technocrats) is going to be easier to meld together than a Hermetic mage, a Toreador Vampire, and a Werewolf. Rest assured that I'll come up with something that needs to be done. This won't, however, be the D&D cliche of 'You all meet down the local pub'. I want the alliance to be uneasy.

Here are some useful links:
Sorcerers Crusade
The Dark Ages meta-setting

If you want to play something that's not covered (for example, a Vampire in the SorCru setting), then we can probably work something out.

In case people want to be a bit different - and I'm looking at you Sephora - the following 'races' are allowed: Vampire, Mage, Woof, Demon (it'll take a bit of tweaking but I'd use the Demon: the Fallen rules). I'd really rather not involve inquisitors, changelings, or wraiths.

Kolbrandr

I'd have put in a nod for dark ages vampire, but seems to have jumped to Sorceror's Crusade, if I'm following correctly.

mystictiger

At this point, I'm not settled yet. It'll depend on what I get the most votes for.

Kolbrandr

Ah, okay, putting in for vampire then. Would it be starting characters either way, or other? The former are a bit low on the intrigues totem pole.

BenedictWolfe

I'm interested in Vampire: I've got this True Brujah of mine...

Elven Sex Goddess

I like to throw my hat in for this.   Nothing like pulling out the old books and dusting off the dust and putting them to use. 

Quoten case people want to be a bit different - and I'm looking at you Sephora - the following 'races' are allowed: Vampire, Mage, Woof, Demon (it'll take a bit of tweaking but I'd use the Demon: the Fallen rules). I'd really rather not involve inquisitors, changelings, or wraiths.

I take it  woof means garou will be allowed.   I might  have a mind for that, if first choice is not allowed.

However that is not my first choice.   I would not mind if allowed to play one of the Rom,  a gypsy.     

Sephora

Dizzied

If you're interested in more players, I would sign up.  And I love both Vampire and Mage too much to choose between them.  >_<

mystictiger

Mage v Werecritters v Vampires are not mutually exclusive.

I would rather not have 'ordinary' humans, even ones with special powers such as oWoD Gypsies. Why? Because when push comes to shove, pretty much everyone else can rip your arm off and beat you to death with the soggy end. And also, I don't have the book.

1200s v 1400s is.

If you're interested, please express a preference for either 1200s or 1400s.

Sephora

1400's, it was a far better time to be a Toreador in that time period...in my opinion anyway.

Kolbrandr

I'd prefer the 1200s, if only because my preference is more to the medieval period than the burgeoning Renaissance, just as far as concepts and imagery. I can live with the 1400s and all.

Annd.. they're somewhat exclusive really, vampes, weres and mages, I suppose it depends on what you have in mind to run.

mystictiger

This isn't going to be a 'party of adventures working together to solve problems' kind of thing. Rather, a local alliance between a group of concerned [whatevers]. I hope that each character will have their own agenda, the agenda of their house / clan / tribe, and then the agenda of their 'type' to follow, all while trying to solve [the problem].

For example, Tremere might grudingly cooperate with Mages. Gangrel might uneasily work alongside Garou. And so on. Granted garou and vampires would take -real- effort to swing, but I'll think of something if needs must. If all else fails, there are always demonic curses...

Kolbrandr

Alright, fair enough. I'd lean then to the 1200s for there being a bit more room to mess around with in that part of the world. Also, the Omen War was kinda fun.

Oh, to my other question, was this going to be starting characters? Elder types of things who can move their own interests along? Something else?

BenedictWolfe

I'd say 1400s, as that period has more room for high society affairs than the more brutal times that preceded it.

Also; if a Vampire game, then the Anarch Revolt would be in full swing, right? Interesting times.

Kolbrandr

Well, the Camarilla and Sabbat coalesce in the 1400s, and just before that the Inquisition is killing the hell out of things, so, it's a bit less room for things, for vampire concepts anyway.

BenedictWolfe

Actually, the Convention of Thorns takes place in 1493, at the very end of the century.

Also during the 1400s: The Giovanni purge the Cappadocians and Virstania, the Mother of Gargoyles, leads her childer in revolt against the Tremere. Pretty late in the century, admittedly.

Sephora

Well, it all really depends on what events we actually have interact with the game itself, right? I mean, whatever is going on could be in complete disregard to cannon events, couldn't it?

Kolbrandr

That would depend when in the 1400s things are occuring then. Though, if it's the Anarch Revolt, it's also in the period of the deaths to the Inquisition, all of which make it something of a mess to be a vampire. It makes certain clan choices more difficult than others besides, as far as things that are going on within and between clans.

It can be interesting, but it doesn't have as much open range to pick something out of.

And I'd suppose it also depends how much the GM wants to cleave to actual events.

mystictiger

Please don't let your OOC knowledge of what happens in the meta-plot change or effect what you want to play.

Just to throw a spanner into your works, I may decide to set the game in a far and remote corner of the world, far away from the purges and the inquisition. Northern Scotland anyone? Or maybe in North Africa? Or just to really confuse things - in the East. And in the alternative, I may decide (or more likely - your actions) might change the timeline. No Tyler, then no Anarch Revolt, for example.

This is still the testing-the-water post. Once I get a feel for when things should take place, then I'll move on to more specific issues.

Dizzied

1200's would be fun for sure, but I'm going to tentatively vote for the 1400's because I like that tiny bit of increased technology and the additional characters it could help provide.