Parkview Zombie Extravaganza (Interest Check)

Started by TheHangedOne, June 09, 2015, 02:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roen

Great, will be working on it tomorrow, then :P

Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 17, 2015, 10:01:36 AM
I hope you haven't lost your taste for horror.  ;)
Never :D

Come and Write with Me! (O/Os and Ideas)
Even the oldest of sights has a moment of rebirth.
-Nathan Alterman.

Loves

Name: Parker Amy Grant
Orientation:  Heterosexual

Noteworthy Skills:

Basic wilderness survival skills (her father was an avid hunter/camper - he taught her how to shoot and other camping skills).

Mechanic - Her father, by profession was a mechanic. She learned  the inner workings of a car before she was fitted for a training bra.  Parker can build a working engine, or repair one if given enough time.   

She’s pretty handy with building materials, having grown up with brothers and no mother, she was taught to be more of a boy than she was a girl.

Personality:

Parker has always been able to keep up with her brothers, and so she isn’t the most “graceful” young lady. In fact, had someone called her a lady, she might have taken a swing at them for the insult. Not much has changed since the crisis, other than she has no idea what happened to her father or her brothers. As far as she knows, her cousin is the only one from her family still alive. She hopes to find them among the mess, but the further she gets away from the town they all lived in, the less likely the outcome will be as she hoped. Parker is clinging onto her hope nonetheless.

What is the worst thing you have done during this crisis, and what have you gained from it?:

The worst thing Parker has done during the crisis was to kill a paramedic that had been “bitten”. He had been calling out for help when they came across the overturned truck, though it was fairly obvious that he had been seriously damaged.  She thought she had seen “teeth” marks, but really couldn’t be sure.  Not wanting to take a chance, and realizing that they would most likely need the items trapped inside of the emergency truck, Parker instructed her cousin to start transferring the items into the car, while she went to “check” on the driver. 

The body of his partner had been pulled apart, and left in “bits” around the site. Parker approached the pleading man (who had serious injuries already) and quickly bludgeoned him to death with the cars jack. She told Emmerson that he was already infected, but in reality, Parker wasn’t sure. Still, she did what she felt she had to do in order to survive…. the nightmares will eventually fade…. she hopes.

What is the kindest thing you have done during this crisis, and what did it cost you?:

The kindest thing Parker did at the start of this tragic crisis, was to leave a message at the old cottage by the lake where she was supposed to have been spending the weekend in with her cousin, and uncle. Her father and a few of her brothers were to meet them there after work that Friday night. They never arrived.  Her only thoughts were that should they somehow make it there after she and the others had left it, then perhaps leaving a note telling them what direction that they were headed in might allow them, someday to meet up again…. it was a hope that Parker would cling to no matter what!

History:

Parker grew up as the only daughter of Jack and Rose Grant, a builder by trade and homemaker, and a lover of all things outdoors.  Jack Grant had a working garage, and often, whenever he had to work late, his brother (Grey) would look after his daughter, and youngest child.  To leave her in the hands of her brothers was simply out of the question! They were good boys, but unreliable. This time together allowed Parker and Emmerson to grow closer to each other.

The two girls did everything together, growing up as cousins that were as close as sisters. They had gone through school together, fought, laughed, and cried together until their last year of college.  Emmerson had taken a job in the forestry department in another state, leaving Parker to join her father in the family business, fixing cars.  The separation only lasted barely a year before the crisis hit during one of Emmerson’s trips back home. 

Inventory:

The Car!

Items found from an abandoned wilderness office and first response vehicle while escaping the campground, all  travelling with both Emmerson and Parker in the same vehicle.

Antiseptic wipes
Antibacterial ointment
Compound bandage adhesive
Assorted adhesive bandages (fabric)
Butterfly bandages/adhesive wound-closure strips
Gauze pads (various sizes)
Nonstick sterile pads
Medical adhesive tape (10 yd. roll, min. 1" width)
Blister treatment
Ibuprofen / other pain-relief medication
Insect-sting relief treatment
Antihistamine to treat allergic reactions
Splinter (fine-point) tweezers
Safety pins
First-aid manual or information cards
Rolled gauze
Rolled, stretch-to-conform bandages
Elastic wrap
Hydrogel-based pads
First-aid cleansing pads with topical anesthetic
Hemostatic (blood-stopping) gauze
Liquid bandages
Oval eye pads
Knife (or multi-tool with knife)
Paramedic shears (blunt-tip scissors)
Finger splint(s)
SAM splint(s)
Cotton-tipped swabs
Standard oral thermometer
Low-reading (hypothermia) thermometer
Irrigation syringe with 18-gauge catheter
Small mirror
Medical/surgical gloves (nitrile preferred; avoid latex)
Triangular cravat bandage
Steel sewing needle with heavy-duty thread
Needle-nose pliers with wire cutter
Emergency heat-reflecting blanket

Items found in the car (shared by both Emmerson and Parker)

large flashlight
old flannel blanket (queen size)
jack / spare tire
gas can (half filled)
hose
chains for tires
shotgun
two boxes of amo

Personal Care, Other Items -  Parker only

Sunscreen
Lip balm
Knife (pocket)
makeup/hairbrush
deodorant
toothpaste / toothbrush
jeans/shorts/ two tank tops
two pair of panties
Hand sanitizer (alcohol-based)
Aloe vera gel
Aspirin

Food/Drink, Other Items (between both Emmerson and Parker)

trailmix
one large chocolate bar (¼ eaten)
oreo cookies (unopened)
gum
one case of water, bottles of 24 (three missing) water count… 21 bottles
apples (found along the way)
berries (strawberries and blueberries) - (found along the way)
one can opener/beer opener
1 12 pack of beer (light budweiser)

Picture

Name: Emmerson Julianna Grant   
Orientation: Heterosexual

Noteworthy Skills:

Basic wilderness survival skills (her father was an avid hunter/camper - he taught her how to shoot and other camping skills).

Cooking on an open fire, fish… rabbit… that sort of thing. 

Understanding of plant life, ie: Poison Ivy, poisonous berries… and such

Personality:

Normally polite and cheerful, Emmerson has switched into survival mode, and can be short tempered in the heat of the moment. As far as she knows, her cousin is the only one she can trust without question (who -- thankfully, is currently not trying to “eat” her brains.)  She is suspicious of strangers, but understands that to get through whatever is happening, she is going to have to rely on a few… but that doesn’t mean she will blindly trust, and follow their lead.

What is the worst thing you have done during this crisis, and what have you gained from it?:

The absolute worse thing that Emmerson had to endure during her travels was the loss of her father. He had been travelling with both his daughter and his niece, Parker. They had found what they had thought was an abandoned home and soon decided to take shelter for the night.  It was dark, her father was on first watch, and both girls were attempting to get some sleep. Emmerson thought she had heard a sound outside, but was too exhausted and terrified to alert anyone.  Before she knew what was happening, two of the infected barged into the old home, catching her father off guard. His last words to the girls was “RUN!”  and the last image she had of her father was of him being mauled to death by those “things!”

She still blames herself for his death.

From that experience Emmerson has learned that to survive this crisis she is going to have to grow stronger, tougher, and more determined. She now refuses to allow her fears to get in the way of protecting herself and her cousin, Parker.

What is the kindest thing you have done during this crisis, and what did it cost you?:

Having found an abandoned car, both Emmerson and Parker set out into the country, away from the city where it seemed most of the terror was centralized.  They had no way of knowing what was happening in the world, all they knew was that they had to keep moving. It was during a raining night that two silhouettes appeared on the dark road, as the car sped past, Emmerson (who was driving) saw the faces of a young woman and her daughter. Despite not trusting strangers, something compelled her to turn the car around and return to those in need.  And so, the group of two became a group of four.  Unfortunately, that group returned to two again after the child began showing symptoms of the flu.  Not wanting to take a chance, Emmerson and Parker abandoned them at an empty gas station.  She still wonders what might have happened to them, but she knew she couldn’t have risked the infection. Leaving them and watching their faces grow smaller in the rearview mirror was heartbreaking, and still haunts her whenever she closes her eyes.

History:

Emmerson grew up as the only daughter of Grey Grant, a builder by trade, and a lover of all things outdoors.  His wife, Teresa had left both Grey and their baby (Emmerson) two months into the child’s life, leaving nothing behind but a note with a single word scrawled on the back of a phone bill… “sorry”

However, despite not having the best of starts, Emmerson grew up a happy, well adjusted little tomboy. She was the apple of her father’s eye, growing up with many “uncles” who worked for the construction company, all of whom protected her all through her youth into womanhood.   

Emmerson’s best friend was also her cousin, Parker Grant.   Her uncle Jack Grant had a working garage, and often, whenever he had to work late, his brother (Grey) would look after his daughter, and youngest child.  To leave her in the hands of her brothers was simply out of the question! They were good boys, but unreliable.

The two girls did everything together, growing up as cousins that were as close as sisters. They had gone through school together, fought, laughed, and cried together until their last year of college.  Emmerson had taken a job in the forestry department in another state, leaving Parker to join her father in the family business, fixing cars.  The separation only lasted barely a year before the crisis hit during one of Emmerson’s trips back home. 

Inventory:

The Car!

Items found from an abandoned wilderness office and first response vehicle while escaping the campground, all  travelling with both Emmerson and Parker in the same vehicle.

Antiseptic wipes
Antibacterial ointment
Compound bandage adhesive
Assorted adhesive bandages (fabric)
Butterfly bandages/adhesive wound-closure strips
Gauze pads (various sizes)
Nonstick sterile pads
Medical adhesive tape (10 yd. roll, min. 1" width)
Blister treatment
Ibuprofen / other pain-relief medication
Insect-sting relief treatment
Antihistamine to treat allergic reactions
Splinter (fine-point) tweezers
Safety pins
First-aid manual or information cards
Rolled gauze
Rolled, stretch-to-conform bandages
Elastic wrap
Hydrogel-based pads
First-aid cleansing pads with topical anesthetic
Hemostatic (blood-stopping) gauze
Liquid bandages
Oval eye pads
Knife (or multi-tool with knife)
Paramedic shears (blunt-tip scissors)
Finger splint(s)
SAM splint(s)
Cotton-tipped swabs
Standard oral thermometer
Low-reading (hypothermia) thermometer
Irrigation syringe with 18-gauge catheter
Small mirror
Medical/surgical gloves (nitrile preferred; avoid latex)
Triangular cravat bandage
Steel sewing needle with heavy-duty thread
Needle-nose pliers with wire cutter
Emergency heat-reflecting blanket

Items found in the car (shared by both Emmerson and Parker)

large flashlight
old flannel blanket (queen size)
jack / spare tire
gas can (half filled)
hose
chains for tires
shotgun
two boxes of amo

Personal Care, Other Items - Emmerson only

Sunscreen
Lip balm
Insect repellent
Biodegradable soap
Antacid tablets
Knife (pocket)
makeup/hairbrush
deodorant
toothpaste / toothbrush
jeans/two tank tops
two pair of panties

Food/Drink, Other Items (between both Emmerson and Parker)

trailmix
one large chocolate bar (¼ eaten)
oreo cookies (unopened)
gum
one case of water, bottles of 24 (three missing) water count… 21 bottles
apples (found along the way)
berries (strawberries and blueberries) - (found along the way)
one can opener/beer opener
1 12 pack of beer (light budweiser)

Picture

ON HIATUS AGAIN

BellaVita

Approved Loves! Welcome to the feast- I mean.. party :D

Loves

Quote from: BellaVita on June 17, 2015, 03:01:49 PM
Approved Loves! Welcome to the feast- I mean.. party :D

Awesome!
I can't wait to start.

:D

ON HIATUS AGAIN

BellaVita

Quote from: Loves on June 17, 2015, 03:10:45 PM
Awesome!
I can't wait to start.

:D

I'll talk to HangedMan, but it shouldn't be too much longer before we start :D

Loves

That's great. I look forward to hearing from you guys.

:)

I was planning on my girls being new to town, rolling in on their first post. I'm looking forward to them meeting and getting to know the other survivors.

ON HIATUS AGAIN

Vex

Hi there! Nice to meet'cha all!  :-)

Are y'all still interested in having another female join the game? I just got approved, so I'm still setting up my profile, and getting myself settled into Elliquiy. But, I had been perusing the threads, and thought this Parkview would be a story I'd enjoy being a part of, if you don't mind bringing in a newcomer.

I have an idea for a character already. If you're looking to start soon, it shouldn't be too long for me to post a write up, assuming you'd be interested.

BellaVita

Quote from: Vex on June 17, 2015, 06:55:17 PM
Hi there! Nice to meet'cha all!  :-)

Are y'all still interested in having another female join the game? I just got approved, so I'm still setting up my profile, and getting myself settled into Elliquiy. But, I had been perusing the threads, and thought this Parkview would be a story I'd enjoy being a part of, if you don't mind bringing in a newcomer.

I have an idea for a character already. If you're looking to start soon, it shouldn't be too long for me to post a write up, assuming you'd be interested.

Feel free to post a CS :D

And welcome to Elliquiy!

El Maligno

Welcome Newcomers and welcome Loves! I look forward to making a great story with all of you!!

Vex

Name: Michelle Young
Orientation: Heterosexual, but still discovering herself.

Noteworthy Skills: Nimbly apt climber. Minor parkour experience. Light on her feet. Able to squeeze through small openings and tight spaces. Basic wilderness survival and first-aid training. Experience practicing domestic skills in modest conditions (cooking, cleaning, sewing, laundry, etc.). Highly familiar with Parkview. Academically inclined. Multilingual, speaking Mandarin and English. Well-practiced at the piano. Rather well-disciplined for a teenager.

Her small stature and lack of experience rather limits her prowess, however. Her formal training is light in most areas, assuming she has any at all in a given field. She has no firearms experience, making her a rather inaccurate shot, and she gets rather intimidated with particularly big or scary looking weapons. She tends to lack the power to kill zombies in one shot too, as she found later on, when she had to repeatedly smash a solitary grounded zombie in the head with her bat just to finally get it to stop. She has since taken to taking out their knees when she has to engage. Might not kill them, but it sure slows them down.

Personality: Already prone to introspection, Michelle has become increasingly reserved and withdrawn in response to the death and chaos around her. Now a month into the mayhem that the world has become, though she's still afraid and cautious of what each day may bring, she's moved past the crippling fear and tearful nights that stunted her first days. Her ritualistic preparations for the day has afforded the blossoming girl a taste of order and stability of her previous life, and grants her the confidence that enables her to keep her focus on moving and surviving. However, she still has trouble keeping some of the worrisome memories and darker idle thoughts from creeping into her mind when she has to linger and rest, and finds the strong morals of her family's religious identity difficult to ignore in the face of conflict, despite what her cynical mind tells her about the realities of her new life.

What is the worst thing you have done during this crisis, and what have you gained from it?: Roughly a week being displaced from her home, and running dangerously low on food, Michelle found herself stalking one of the other scavengers back to his camp, finding them located in a small, boarded up liquor store. She came back in the dead of night, hoping to sneak in and steal some of their goods.

Even now, theft is still a bad thing, but she was too afraid to ask them to take her in. As it turned out, she was right to be.

While Michelle retrieved the stash behind the counter, she could hear the muffled cries of a woman up in the second-floor residence above the shop, along with the occasional grunt and laugh of a few male voices. To this day, she still isn't entirely sure what it was they were doing. Perhaps they were just tending her wounds and she was screaming from the roughness and the alcohol. At least, that was what she reasoned as she did her best to ignore the frantic cries and shuffling up above, while she shoved what she could into her backpack. The sudden dead silence she found as she picked up to leave still haunts her on occasion as it did on that night. She might not be sure exactly what was happening, but her imagination hasn't hesitated to fill in the blanks with horrifying details. But, despite her doubts that night, she never did check to see if that poor girl needed help. She instead helped herself to their stash, a reality she doesn't like much to admit.

What is the kindest thing you have done during this crisis, and what did it cost you?: Within the last few days, while returning after a rather fruitful day of scavenging the nearby buildings, Michelle heard the cry of a little boy, and rushed to investigate. She found a horde of undead pounding at gated storefront, which was increasingly giving way to their combined might, the young kid panicking while his father frantically tried to hold the gate together and smash the hands back with a hammer. From the sway of the metal, it was obvious it wasn't going to hold much longer.

Michelle was growing increasingly confident about her ability to outmaneuver these monsters, so she made her way to the street and tried to get the attention of the small horde that had gathered before the shop. Knowing the area rather well, she lured the bulk of their numbers into a nearby alleyway, and got to see the father and child running past as she turned down the alley. Once they were safely away, she ran down to the other side, and slipped past the fencing up the wall. However,  while she had taken this particular route quite a few times, she wasn't used to navigating the breach with a full pack. She struggled to pull it through, eventually ripping it's side out against a ragged link, and pouring most of it's contents on the opposite side. With the horde approaching, she didn't have an opportunity to collect it, and was forced to leave the vast majority behind, costing her the day's gains, and leaving her a rather unsatisfied night.

History: Michelle started her life as an orphan child from a rural village in mainland China, but in a fortunate turn of events, she was adopted by a married Mormon couple, several years after her father's experiences during his mission work there. Despite not sharing the same blood as her new parents or her older brother, they've treated her with absolute love and kindness, never hiding from the matter of the adoption, but instead embracing and celebrating it. Though there were some initial difficulties, by the time she grew into a pre-teen, she felt accepted and adored by her family, ever-grateful for giving her a beautiful life in Parkview.

Always rather mature in spirit for her age, despite her petite size, Michelle wanted to make her parents and sibling as proud of her as she could, to make the most out of the opportunities she was given. She became an honor student in school, a proud member of their small LDS community, and an accomplished girl-scout. Although a bit on the squeaky-clean, apple-polishing side, Michelle was a fairly popular student in school, owed mostly to her friendly spirit, her hard-work ethic, and pragmatic outlook. That's not to say she didn't occasionally do things she wasn't supposed to. She's a teenage girl, after all. In fact, she'd long planned an unofficial sleep over party for when her parents were scheduled to leave for the weekend. However, as anxieties and tensions grew, she soon found that would fall apart, along with many other social conventions she was used to. But even she had little idea of how to prepare for what was to come.

With her parents off on business, and her brother off doing his missionary work, Michelle was alone in the family home in north-west Parkview when the chaos came to her neighborhood. Afraid of the noises she heard outside, she called her parents, who told her they were on their way back, and that she was to bar the door and shut off the lights while she awaited for their arrival. So, that's what she did. And it worked, for a time. Days went by with little trouble, but no appearance of her parents either. Still, her family had specifically trained for emergency situations, and had vital supplies that would last a year for the family. She could had stayed indefinitely. Unfortunately, her hand was forced when a group of strangers broke into her sealed home in the middle of the night. She barely managed to quickly secure a backpack and some clothes before she had to slip out the door. She was spotted on the way out, but she managed to lose her pursuer, leaving the teen to fend for herself in the coming weeks to find food and shelter wherever she could manage.

Inventory:
Two bookbags, a lightly-dented aluminum baseball bat, compact first-aid kit, small utility knife, multi-tool, titanium crowbar, binoculars, steel scissors, blood-stained collegiate sweater, an outfit of worn clothes, a heart-shaped pendant, a clean change of clothes, a hair brush, a hand-sized vanity kit, four bottles travel-sized of shampoo, a bar of soap, toothbrush, a few small rolls of curling ribbons in various colors, a travel sewing kit, two mini flash lights, two disposable lighters, four plastic water bottles (w/ water),  three travel-sized packs of nuts, four sealed cans of food, a bag of "fun" sized chocolate candy, two 20 oz. bottles of soft drinks, two packs of beef jerky.
Picture

Loves

Quote from: El Maligno on June 17, 2015, 10:58:47 PM
Welcome Newcomers and welcome Loves! I look forward to making a great story with all of you!!

*waves to El Maligno*

Hi there! :)  and thank you for the warm welcome.  ;D

I too am looking forward to the game and watching the story unfold.   XD
ON HIATUS AGAIN

TheHangedOne

I am looking to start the game tonight or tomorrow night. Thank you all for being patient with us.  :-)

Welcome to E, Vex! I like the character. Approved.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

BellaVita

Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 18, 2015, 10:28:28 AM
I am looking to start the game tonight or tomorrow night. Thank you all for being patient with us.  :-)

I wanna say approved, but aren't there rules to characters under 18 not allowed in adult roleplays?

BellaVita

Quote from: BellaVita on June 18, 2015, 10:55:19 AM
I wanna say approved, but aren't there rules to characters under 18 not allowed in adult roleplays?

Nvm, it says 16 or over so the character is okay! We look forward to having you :D

TheHangedOne

Yeah, I had to double check that one, too.

Also, I'd like to just mention something. It is certainly no requirement, but for those of you who are interested in voice chat, Elliquiy has a dedicated voice chat server. Me and Bella are on it every now and again. Like I said, it's no requirement, you're not going to miss out on anything by not joining it. I just think it's pretty awesome to be able to chitter-chatter with others, and wanted to share it.
Check out my poet tree!

Vex

Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 18, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Thanks! And I'm glad you liked the character! I'm looking forward to testing her in this crazy town.  ;D

Quote from: BellaVita on June 18, 2015, 10:56:16 AM
Nvm, it says 16 or over so the character is okay! We look forward to having you :D
Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 18, 2015, 11:45:47 AM
Yeah, I had to double check that one, too.

Sorry about that. I just got through season 4 of the Walking Dead, and was rather intrigued by one of the themes of that season, on the matter of minors and children growing up in the zombie apocalypse. Their natural responses to what they're seeing and learning often warped them into forms that adults, with their strong ties to a much more orderly world, had trouble recognizing, especially coming from minors that they believed were innocent and needed protection. Granted, that season dealt with kids a few years younger than Michelle, but I was still intrigued by the notion, of how a young girl copes with the circumstances and how it shifts their world views in a much more radical direction than it would for most adults. That's an avenue I'm hoping to explore with the character.

That said, I wouldn't mind shifting the age older, if it makes others uncomfortable. Sure, it's a neat contrast to the rest of the characters, but our enjoyment of the story comes at a higher priority, I'd think. Just say the word before we start, and I'll be perfectly fine with modifying her sheet to something more accommodating.

I also wondered if I over-sold her skill set a little. I think I did that in part because, when taken as a more general point of view that most the other characters take, her helpful skills seem quite minor compared to everyone else. She's not a medical expert, she doesn't have higher education, doesn't have her own sanctuary, she sure as hell isn't good fighter, and she doesn't even have any significant driving experience. That's part of the point, that she's a marginally exceptional, but mostly normal teenage girl. That left me a little narrowed with how to justify her survival, mostly limiting it towards a smart, reasonably grounded young woman who's pretty decent at working around obstacles, planning routes, and escaping danger. I hope you didn't mind that.

Loves

doesn't bother me to have a 16 year old in the game.  :)
ON HIATUS AGAIN

TheHangedOne

The way I look at her, she's got a good head on her shoulders, and good athleticism. She can grow into a role, rather than being slotted into one.
Check out my poet tree!

Amarlo

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

BellaVita

Quote from: Amarlo on June 18, 2015, 03:32:33 PM
Still in need of more people? :)

Of course! Though I should tell you we have a lot of girls right now :)

Amarlo

Then I suppose I'll hold off. If you find some people dropping out and you need more females, perhaps someone could pm me? :)

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Amarlo

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

TheHangedOne

Oh my goodness! Through all the dust, dirt, and grime, it sparkles, it shines! What is it?

Why, an OOC, of course!
Check out my poet tree!

Vex

Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 18, 2015, 02:21:32 PM
The way I look at her, she's got a good head on her shoulders, and good athleticism. She can grow into a role, rather than being slotted into one.

Certainly true. She can learn, as time goes on. But I think that would apply to nearly all the cast. In Post-Apocalyptic genres, I tend to think it's best for characters to be at least modestly capable in a wide-range of skills, as opposed to specially dedicated to one (although there are exceptions, like medical science, for instance). After all, you never know when you might lose your specialist, or your entire group, for that matter.

But, we've got to survive first in order to have time to learn, of course.  ;)

Quote from: BellaVita on June 18, 2015, 03:41:43 PM
Of course! Though I should tell you we have a lot of girls right now :)

This is your and HangedMan's group, of course. If you'd like to keep the sexes within relative balance, I can certainly understand that. If that's your inclination, I'm not gonna argue with that.

But, for what it's worth, I don't think it's too problematic if we have the genders a little unequal in number. It's only important if people are going to be pairing off, and even then, not everyone is necessarily interested in that. Some might be too concerned with survival to do too much screwing around. Or, they might be reluctant to form lasting bonds with someone else who might die on them, and are just interested in physical intimacy for the moment. Or some might embrace a kind of live-in-the-moment hedonism, inclined to sex up everyone if they have the opportunity. And that's assuming we don't like the idea of having romantic triangles and rivalries for affections about. That can be fun in itself, if we're so inclined.

As long as we've got some diversity of attitudes and traits amongst our characters, I think the good can outweigh the harm, in most cases.