Pathfinder Seeker thread, Pirate game

Started by Elven Sex Goddess, May 21, 2011, 11:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elven Sex Goddess

Pirates of Mama Qoca

Is a fantasy setting set upon the Spanish Main during the 17th Century.   During the age of piracy on the high seas.

The curse of the Inca's 'A goddess's wrath'

Character creation

Pathfinder System

Starting level - 1st Level  (Max Hit Points)

Abilities -  20 point buy

Allowable Races -  Human only  (Through nationality may differ. (Note Languages based on nationality)

Allowable Classes -  Barbarian (Breaker, Brutal Pugilist, Drunken Brute, Hurler, Invulnerable Rager, Superstitious), Fighter (Aldori Swordlord, Archer, Crossbowman/Pistol or Musket, Free Hand Fighter, Mobile Fighter, Savage Warrior, Two-Handed Fighter, Two-Weapon Warrior, Weapon Master), Rogue (Acrobat, Cutpurse, Poisoner, Rake, Scout, Sniper, Spy, Swashbuckler, Thug),  one slot for a Monk (a Capoeira martial art style as example that fits in the theme.   Also that style first started in the 17th Century of Brazil.  Drunken master, Monk of the Empty Hand, Monk of the Healing Hand, Weapon Adept, Zen Archer) and one slot for Alchemist only.  (Note this is a pirate game,  so skills in seamanship should be considered.)

Note on Weapons;  The additional simple range weapons of musket,  musket double barrel, pistol and pistol double barrel are allowed. They can be found here; http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons

Starting Money - Max

Magic -  Magic is rare in the world.   Through magical creatures do exist and artifacts. 

Open slots for 6 to 8 players.   

Laughing Hyena

If you wanna leave me behind I don't mind but i am here to sign up for adventure.

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Laughing Hyena

Hmm so what kind of campaign are you running by the way Goddess? Good, neutral or evil?

PhantomPistoleer

A question:  how come rangers are not available?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Healergirl

I am very interested!

However, I am only ava1lable for Forum Post/PM post games at this time.

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 21, 2011, 05:17:15 PM

Possibly due to magic but that could be handled with a kit or something that takes away the magic skills of the ranger.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Elven Sex Goddess

Chronoclasm,  Laughing Hyena, PhantomPistoleer, Healergirl and Muse thank you all for your interest.   :-)

I have updated the allowable character classes.  First I have listed the kits that would fit for each of the classes.    Also I have open for one player to play a Monk and One slot  open for someone to play an Alchemist.  Along listed maxed starting gold.

Quote from: Chronoclasm on May 21, 2011, 11:38:50 AM
Pirates? Color me intrigued.

Would you like me (and other interested parties) to submit a character concept right off, or shall we just express our interest for now?
Concept and create your character.)

Also, will this game be party-based or largely solo with only occasional PC-PC interaction? If it will be party-based, it might also help to know how we are all being connected (are we all crew on the same pirate ship, for example?), so that we know how to integrate our backgrounds.
It will be a party base campaign.  As the crew of the pirate ship.   A Sloop,  which Anne Bonny man,  ran could be run with a crew of 6 to 8 and could have as many as 30.) 

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on May 21, 2011, 04:46:05 PM
Hmm so what kind of campaign are you running by the way Goddess? Good, neutral or evil?
Due to your pirates,  neutral to evil.   Through good is also allowed,  a high sea robin hood persona.

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 21, 2011, 05:17:15 PM
Simply as Laughing Hyena stated the magic.  Such is the case with Paladins and  Inquisitors.  So those remain no.

Quote from: Healergirl on May 21, 2011, 06:27:45 PM
I am very interested!

However, I am only ava1lable for Forum Post/PM post games at this time.
It will be forum post game.

bigwad73

I'd be interested in the alchemist, though... *scuffles foot*  I don't have the pathfinder books.  But I did play 3.5!
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: bigwad73 on May 22, 2011, 12:36:10 AM
I'd be interested in the alchemist, though... *scuffles foot*  I don't have the pathfinder books.  But I did play 3.5!

Link for the character class Alchemist. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist It also has all the other information for the nuances of Pathfinder to 3.5,  think of it as 3.75.

An thank you for your interest.  :)

Laughing Hyena

I'll be a free hand fighter. Making a few finishing touches and will edit him in when ready. Oh and remember guys, we are pirates so no plate armor or yer a stone on the ocean.

Leon Morgan

Bio: Leon Morgan born in France was originally part of a family that had  been financially struggling for some time and they were making a steady business climb back into stability until sabotage came into play from the Spanish. The family was pressed into bondage but he escaped this cruel fate. Without a home he had struggled within the cruel world. Either way he scrapped by in the streets, fighting for whatever he could hang onto. However he needed to leave this den and as such he stowed away on a ship. However the French captain was quick to find the child and set him straight to work since if he was out here no one would miss him. This was how he got the sailing skills. However the captain worked the child like a dog along with the rest of the crew, there was a mutiny. The crew now born and bred pirates made their operations in Port Royale. The child grew into a man there and now inspired wished to become a captain himself in due time. However he still has much to learn.

Healergirl

Ooooo, that Pathfinder site is very user friendly.  You kids, so spoiled by tech.  Why, back when I started Rping, We had to hand-write our own sheets!  Using forms we designed ourselves!  With pencils we hand- crafted on paper we made ourselves! And get off my lawn!

Goddess, I'm going to use this spreadsheet:  https://docs.google.com/previewtemplate?id=0AjfaolOnvs6gdEZNenNDdVBTSDBPME04S1JranRSSEE&mode=public

If that is OK with you.

Healergirl

Laughing Hyena,

You make a great point about armor.  Pirates are light troops for the most part. Plate was available during the period, but expensive and uncommon.  Goddess is the final arbiter of course, but I don't think anything heavier than leather types of armorfor charcters fits the Pirate theme.

As to what character class I will play, I'm kinda torn.  between:

Acrobat:  Duck and dodge, always on the move.  Perfect for those dramatic leaps from the rigging of one ship to another, carrying a grappling hook to secure the two vessels, scrambling up the walls of a fort in the dead of night or under fire.  Positive, upbeat personality, something of a party girl, might even dance on tables when the ship is in port.

Sniper:  Spooky introverted killer whose smiles seldom reach her eyes.  Keeps to herself as much as possible.  Impossible to do on ship I know, but when ashore tends to disappear into the background.

Elven Sex Goddess

Laughing Hyena. - Leon looks good on cursory glance with the numbers.   All that is needed is  brief two paragraph background to breath life into him other then a name and numbers on a sheet. 

Healergirl -  the spreadsheet if in fine.   

Also you are correct Laughing Hyena on the armor.   No one should have any good reason to have armor above studded leather.  Since a seafaring game of pirates.   

As well when choosing weapons think of the time period the game is to be set in.   Good job with that Laughing Hyena.   

Also finer points when you select a class.   For example on barbarians.   Your not going to be a northern barbarian wielding a two handed axe,  or a great sword.    Think in terms for example.   A  Zulu warrior from south Africa.   Or Carib  Indian from Caribbean and native from the America's.     Just ask yourself how it fits.   Will it work within the game story line.   

bigwad73

Just to be difficult, the stereotypical view of conquistadores had them wearing metal breastplate long into the 1700s, but leather or thick cloth elsewhere.  And maybe a metal codpiece, in case they were attacked by cod fish.  So I could see someone going into combat wearing something like that.
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: bigwad73 on May 22, 2011, 09:20:22 AM
Just to be difficult, the stereotypical view of conquistadores had them wearing metal breastplate long into the 1700s, but leather or thick cloth elsewhere.  And maybe a metal codpiece, in case they were attacked by cod fish.  So I could see someone going into combat wearing something like that.

Again no;  common sense dictates such as your not explorers  that is going to be going overland.  Your seafaring pirates.  Besides;   'Most conquistadors had limited access to steel armor and helmets as the more common mail and leather were worn by the Spanish and were an important factor in their success.    The varying climate between coastal and mountain regions and high heat and humidity of Central and South America made wearing such heavy iron and steel items mostly impractical, and the humidity caused a significantly faster rate of corrosion than in Europe.'

bigwad73

Quote from: Elven Sex Goddess on May 22, 2011, 10:00:02 AM
Again no;  common sense dictates such as your not explorers  that is going to be going overland.  Your seafaring pirates.  Besides;   'Most conquistadors had limited access to steel armor and helmets as the more common mail and leather were worn by the Spanish and were an important factor in their success.    The varying climate between coastal and mountain regions and high heat and humidity of Central and South America made wearing such heavy iron and steel items mostly impractical, and the humidity caused a significantly faster rate of corrosion than in Europe.'

*throws out his collection of conquistadore movies for being to dissimilar to reality*    ;D

Healergirl

Look on the bright side Bigwad73,

Just think of all the old pirate movies showing lightly armed, unarmored pirates easily outmaneuvering and beating those lumbering armor clad Spanish troopers.

Elven Sex Goddess

Actually with the rise of the big armies.  It was cheaper to replace the common soldier, in training and sticking a musket in his hands.   Then it was to outfit them in armor and train them to fight in it.    By that time cavalry and nobility / ranking military still wore significant armor.   But cavalry no longer is of significant importance.   

Besides;  The army with which Hernán Cortés besieged Tenochtitlan was composed of 200,000 soldiers, of which fewer than 1% were Spaniards'    Add in the fact,  the Spaniards went to war to kill their enemies.   Against those that sought to capture theirs.    More then the armor and just as important as the gunpowder weapons.  Is the advantage of cold steel.  Against what weapons at best bronze. 

I am not ruling out breast plate to be used.  through doubt it is affordable at creation.    I merely is pointing out how it fits in terms of scenario of the game storyline.   So I was wrong to say no.  Its more improbable and really needs a good background at start. 

Amendment to following weapon costs;

Musket -  130 GP
Musket Double Barrel - 165 GP
Pistol -  115 GP
Pistol Double Barrel - 150 GP

Armor cost Amendments for game;

Armor of Hide, padded,  quilted woven,  leather, studded leather, breast plate and agile breast plate are at cost.   

Any other armor such as chain shirt, has a craftsmen tax tossed on of additional  500 GP.   This is to represent that it was cheaper to mass produce at this time the metal breast plates then producing chain mail. 

This adjustment in costs should help bring the game more in line with the period.   If any one else has suggestions please give them.   

Mysterica

I would be very interested in this.  I'm not entirely certain what I will play, but I can definitely get back to you once I consult the core rule book.

bigwad73

Quote from: Healergirl on May 22, 2011, 06:47:44 AM
Ooooo, that Pathfinder site is very user friendly.  You kids, so spoiled by tech.  Why, back when I started Rping, We had to hand-write our own sheets!  Using forms we designed ourselves!  With pencils we hand- crafted on paper we made ourselves! And get off my lawn!

Goddess, I'm going to use this spreadsheet:  https://docs.google.com/previewtemplate?id=0AjfaolOnvs6gdEZNenNDdVBTSDBPME04S1JranRSSEE&mode=public

If that is OK with you.

Odd.  I can't copy that template.  I wonder if that's because I don't have Excel on this machine?

PhantomPistoleer

I'm removing interest.

I decided last night that I don't like pathfinder.  I like more customization with skills.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Mysterica

I think I'll probably go with a fighter with a double bladed sword.