Warhammer 40k Black Crusade (freeform) - Interest check

Started by HairyHeretic, September 03, 2016, 09:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, he will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing misery and death to billions, his name will echo through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes. Infamy is always more preferable to ignominy.
- Fabius Bile, at the Desecration of Kanzuz IX

So, once again, the urge to tear down the Imperium is upon me. I'd be interested in running a freeform Chaos orientated game, presumbably with a mixture of Chaos Space Marines and other assorted heretics, malcontents and other enemies of the Imperium.

The exact format of the game would depend on who was interested, and what kind of character they wanted to play. I'm thinking about starting with some degree of power ... a base of operations, a ship, some expendable minions, and then see where we go from there.

Build our own pirate fleet?
Raid Imperial worlds?
Corrupt others and turn them to Chaos?
Set an entire subsector aflame?

Anyone interested in making the galaxy burn?

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Totoro

Hey!

Just registering my interest in this game, looks like a lot of fun. I adore Warhammer 40k so I hope this picks up interest.

SwK

Drowdeviant

Hmm, should I be a thousand son sorcerer or a sultry hertically psychic tech priestess...or a domineering ex battle sister turned seductive sorceress? >:)
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

JoanieSappho

Hmm, a few ideas. Sadistic heretek-priestess who just loves to abuse fleshy meatbag bodies, Tzeentchian ratling who is all about making deals and coming off better so that she can pursue her true secret goal of ???, and, depending on how icky and sexual we want to get, Nurglite woman, maybe a former SOB who carries (and spreads) a new variant of the zombie plague through a certain swollen and tainted part of her body that happens to be between her legs, or through fresh, tainted milk.
I'm leaning a little Nurgle, although that'll be best if everyone's cool with it because, well ... Nurgle.

Edit: Leaning a lot Nurgle, since ideas for the Plaguemother keep turning up in my head, like her sincere, honest belief that guiding worlds to her plague-filled tea is the kindest thing she can do for those benighted children who languish without the love and blessings of Grandfather Nurgle. Of course, still Nurgle, so ick-factor is there.

Jaded

I would potentially be interested, though I'm not sure as what concept yet.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: JoanieSappho on September 04, 2016, 10:39:22 PM
Hmm, a few ideas. Sadistic heretek-priestess who just loves to abuse fleshy meatbag bodies, Tzeentchian ratling who is all about making deals and coming off better so that she can pursue her true secret goal of ???, and, depending on how icky and sexual we want to get, Nurglite woman, maybe a former SOB who carries (and spreads) a new variant of the zombie plague through a certain swollen and tainted part of her body that happens to be between her legs, or through fresh, tainted milk.
I'm leaning a little Nurgle, although that'll be best if everyone's cool with it because, well ... Nurgle.

Edit: Leaning a lot Nurgle, since ideas for the Plaguemother keep turning up in my head, like her sincere, honest belief that guiding worlds to her plague-filled tea is the kindest thing she can do for those benighted children who languish without the love and blessings of Grandfather Nurgle. Of course, still Nurgle, so ick-factor is there.
Oh, another nurgle fan! ;D

I normally avoid freeform group games (come'on Hairy, do BC proper :P), but if your interested Jo, I'd love to play another nurglite to pair with yours if your interested.

JoanieSappho

Quote from: ChaoticSky on September 05, 2016, 09:54:11 AM
Oh, another nurgle fan! ;D

I normally avoid freeform group games (come'on Hairy, do BC proper :P), but if your interested Jo, I'd love to play another nurglite to pair with yours if your interested.
Well, I'm fine with it and interested, just would like to make sure Nurglestuff in general isn't a major turn-off for Hairy/the other players, since, well, you know how Nurgle goes. Swollen, misshapen body parts, miscoloured fluids leaking from places, etc, etc.

HairyHeretic

I can't say Nurgle really appeals to me, but that's only a personal viewpoint. Given I'm looking to play my Night Lord, it's not like there would be much sexytimes going on for me anyway :P

If you do want to go with a Nurgle turned Sister, have you considered having her come from one of the Orders Hospitaller. With their constant exposure to disease, and their focus on (to some degree) caring for people, it would seem to dovetail quite nicely with what you're got so far.

As for freeform / system, I wanted to try something different this time around :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

JoanieSappho

Yeah, Hospitaller was what I had in mind, so Angry Sororitas is still open for someone else.  :P

So, what sort of thing did you have in mind, Chaotic? (Probably, I suppose, best to pm me rather than start getting into working things out in here)

TheLaughingOne

Hullo! Just like to say im interisted! been following this thread since i put in my approval sheet, and would love a chance to play!

As for nurgle.. Some diseases have side effects that seem positive, kinda, make ths skin more clear, increased skin sensativity (depending on degree) and so forth. They kinda hide things.  At least for the person carrying them. easier to spread Papas blessing when people want to spend time with them..

Swelling and other side effects are there, but in a more.. outwardly pleasing way.. .. At least until you mess up and piss off Papa, and everything goes wrong.. Or right. Its hard to tell with the chaos gods..

Myself, thinking someone trapped between Khorne, and Slaanesh. Possibly takes sexual conquests a bit off...? head still bubbling at the idea..
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Warlock

Definitely interested.

Possibly a bit left field, but I've been turning a rough idea of a daemonhost around in my head. There are some differences in terms of motivation from 'mortal' champions, though daemons still have, in a sense, their own ambitions and seek to exalt themselves in the eyes of their lord.

Figured having a radical Inquisitor that sought to use the powers of chaos against itself. Binding a daemon within host and sealing it within using arcane seals and wards. Despite being unable to escape from its mortal coil and its power limited by the bindings it managed to slip away from the Inquisitor's grasp and is now seeking a way to free itself. Undoing the bindings could require a combination of artifacts, obscure rituals, specific sacrifices or conditions, etc. Inquisitors are nothing if not through. While seeking those items out it lends its services to a band of chaos champions, in return for their aid in the retrieval.

Thinking of using the above as a baseline and expand upon it. Leaning towards having the daemon be tzeentchian or slaaneshi. Also need to consider state of the host, if anything remains at all and possible implications.
-------------------

Nurgle is fine and plaguemother does sound intriguing. Besides, Nurgle is love. Nurgle is life.

TheLaughingOne

Nurgle is also the lord of Rebirth, struggle, and survival! Could be fun to tap into that aspect for something new:3
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

HairyHeretic

Another option for a daemonhost would be along the lines of the Gal Vorbak, from the Horus Heresy novels. Have you read those? Argal Tal is one of only a couple of Word Bearers I actually like.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Warlock

I haven't read the books, though I should since they're amongst my favorite traitor legions. Did consider doing the daemonhost as a chaos space marine possessed, though the Gal Vorbak specifically escaped me for some reason. Love their forgeworld model, as a side note. Scimming through the lore sections now and see what I find.

Tydorei

I was just searching the net for a black cursade game and found one! I was hoping to actually use the system or some form of it, but beggars can't be choosers! Expect either a slaanish pirate prince, slaanish fleshmoulder, or tzentch psyker. All my possible characters will be human though.

Totoro

I'm thinking of maybe playing an Iron Warrior, I love the aesthetics of that chapter. Alternatively a marine from a more recently renegade chapter somewhat similar to people like Huron Blackheart in that they're renagades/traitors but not hugely devoted to the chaos gods, and definitely not one in particular. There's an awful lot of options though, 40k is quite diverse as long as you like a million flavours of grimdark, which I do.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Tydorei on September 06, 2016, 02:05:06 PM
I was just searching the net for a black cursade game and found one! I was hoping to actually use the system or some form of it, but beggars can't be choosers! Expect either a slaanish pirate prince, slaanish fleshmoulder, or tzentch psyker. All my possible characters will be human though.

A pirate prince would be a good candidate for having their own ship, which gives us a logical means of transport. Plus since we seem to be leaning towards a Nurgle contingent, they'd clash less with a Slaaneshi than a follower of Tzeentch. At the end of the day though, it's whatever you fancy most yourself.

Quote from: Sun Wukong on September 06, 2016, 04:13:54 PM
I'm thinking of maybe playing an Iron Warrior, I love the aesthetics of that chapter. Alternatively a marine from a more recently renegade chapter somewhat similar to people like Huron Blackheart in that they're renagades/traitors but not hugely devoted to the chaos gods, and definitely not one in particular. There's an awful lot of options though, 40k is quite diverse as long as you like a million flavours of grimdark, which I do.

Iron Warrior and Alpha Legion, if you're looking for a veteran of the Long War. For a more recent vintage, well, individual marines, and indeed squads worth, can turn renegade from any chapter, even if the chapter itself remained loyal. If you have a favourite chapter, no reason a single marine couldn't have fallen.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Totoro

My army from back when I played tabletop was a homebrew renegade chapter made of parts of loyalists, chaos and space wolves. Ended up with a very violent/animalistic and brutal theme but stuck away from going khornate, instead more the space vikings gone wrong. They were basically designed as, as I called them, 'Space bastards' in that they looted, stole and screwed people over without ever really fighting a real war. It'd be quite fun to play a marine with absolutely zero honor from a chapter along those lines.

HairyHeretic

Maybe something along the lines of the Wulfen, if you want to play up the animalistic aspect? There was the Wolf Brothers, the only official Space Wolf successor chapter, from the 2nd Founding. They fell to Chaos.

My own renegade chapter were Wolf successors, from the Dark 13th Founding, though they went renegade more than actually worshipping Chaos.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Totoro

It was more just liking Space Wolf rules and unique units, as well as aesthetics. The problem of Space Wolves having so few successors was always my biggest issue with the chapters backstory since nobody else fit at all.

And damn, it basically sounds like our chapters had some similarities. It was so long ago I hardly remember any of the backstory anymore, which is a shame.

HairyHeretic

I should have their history in one of my folders. I can dig it out and PM it to you if you fancy a read of it. Mine weren't exactly nice either, but they did have their own sense of honour .. a friend of mine described them as anti-heros rather than outright villians.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Totoro

Mine were mostly villains in that they only served themselves. Every now and then they'd do 'the right thing' but only when it served their purposes. IE raiding orcs/chaos marines etc. for their own gain. I'd definitely be up for having a read of their history, sounds fun. My chapter's only honour was a sort of tribal code of basic rules. Things like 'Don't stab your friend in the back, stab anyone outside the chapter while they're sleeping but if you fight your own do it head on' and 'Anyone can challenge the chapter master to ritual 1 on 1 combat'. Fairly sure me and a few others worked on some rules and I remember the chapter master being an absolute monster in duels because he's been through so many to get there.

Wajin

VERY interested here, leaning a bit towards playing either an Alpha Legion Champion, survivor from the Great Crusade and the Heresy, or a Khornate Salamander, calm in peace, madness in combat, let him only show the fury of the blood god in combat... maybe even give him some dragon-like mutation.
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

TheLaughingOne

... Renegade rogue trader. Freshly inherited the Writ, but house is in disarray. Old contracts have run out, or tricksy adepts rewrote them in their planets favor, pirates have pillaged the trading lines, and family has depleted the coffers and made off with ships leaving him ill equipped to  continue the family traditions. Fell to chaos undivided from promises of dark favors, revenge, and pleasures could never imagine. Possibly ferrys the warband on his ship, delivering tainted goods to planets that betrayed their contracts, couting defenses for attack, started pleasure cults in the nobilityy, and rebellion among the aristocracy...
My Ons and Offs!