Stephen Colbert slammed for Congressional Address

Started by Queen Be Damned Sheiba, September 24, 2010, 11:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen Be Damned Sheiba

Today, Stephen Colbert addressed congress, in character, about the dependence of farms on immigrant labor. Just now I was watching Anderson Cooper 360 where he claimed it was a stunt that did nothing but wist tax payer dollars, but I say how is that any different than the senators that stand up every day to BS about how they know what's best for us. All talking the same message of bring in new ideas, new practices yet sticking with the old ones that don't work. To me that is more a waste of money.

Stephen Colbert and John Stewart are comedians who both joke about the state politics in America and the reason behind that is simply because American's a s a whole have a tendency to not see when something being said or  done is foolish. Political satyr is just as a powerful a median of getting a point across as any other so why is it not a viable outlet to lawmakers? Men can stand before congress for hours arguing back and forth and getting absolutely nothing done and I do me absolutely nothing done. Why is any other citizen of the United States not allowed the same respect? Stephen Colbert is a comedian, but he respects our nation, our troops. He does more in support of our nation than many people do in a life time so why is he wrong?

They might not like the methods, but Stephen Colbert has just as much a right to speak as any of the Senators that we pay to barely help us

Vekseid

The video

Stephen Colbert Opening Statement Before Congress

He breaks character eventually. "Migrant workers are the least of our brothers because they have no rights"

Given that this suddenly has national attention, it's probably one of the most effective testimonies in congressional history.

Revolverman

Hes done alot more to investigate this then any other reporter in the US, in character or not

Wolfy

I hate it when people like Anderson Cooper or the idiots at Fox news call Colbert and Stewart "Faux Reporters"...they report on actual news, they just do it in a more entertaining way than the 24-hour networks. I think Fox, MSNBC, etc, etc, should take a page from Stewart and Colbert and actually try to make the news entertaining so people actually pay attention, instead of using fear to control people..>_>

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on September 25, 2010, 12:25:01 AM
I hate it when people like Anderson Cooper or the idiots at Fox news call Colbert and Stewart "Faux Reporters"...they report on actual news, they just do it in a more entertaining way than the 24-hour networks. I think Fox, MSNBC, etc, etc, should take a page from Stewart and Colbert and actually try to make the news entertaining so people actually pay attention, instead of using fear to control people..>_>

You know there was a survey a while back that showed folks who watched Colbert/Stewart's shows were most informed about current events than any other news show and had a higher rate of following up on what what reported.. ie check other shows, news sites, papers ect.

Wolfy

See?

Is it a ****ing crime that I'd like to be entertained while learning about current events? D:

Though, Glenn Beck's Insane Ranting Time certainly is good for a few laughs. :D (we really need a monocle Emote...some kind of High-class lol. <_<>_>)

Sabby

Quote from: Wolfy on September 25, 2010, 12:31:07 AM(we really need a monocle Emote...some kind of High-class lol. <_<>_>)

Great, now my Elliquiy experience shall be forever held back until this happens >.<

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on September 25, 2010, 12:44:21 AM
Great, now my Elliquiy experience shall be forever held back until this happens >.<

..xD *huggles Sabby*

Queen Be Damned Sheiba

I was really upset when when I heard them talking about him. Like Veks said. It was very effective. I watch both shows religiously, more so than any of the other news networks because I like how they show everything, criticize both sides and it is entertaining. I don't like that they call the faux reporters either. It's ridiculous.

Also found out one of the representatives asked him to leave before his testimony started. The chair that invited him told him to stay.

Wolfy

Quote from: Queen Be Damned Sheiba on September 25, 2010, 01:33:15 AM
I was really upset when when I heard them talking about him. Like Veks said. It was very effective. I watch both shows religiously, more so than any of the other news networks because I like how they show everything, criticize both sides and it is entertaining. I don't like that they call the faux reporters either. It's ridiculous.

Also found out one of the representatives asked him to leave before his testimony started. The chair that invited him told him to stay.

Other reporters are just jealous that they can't keep people entertained for more than five minutes without taking a tazer to the chest. >_>

Queen Be Damned Sheiba

.... lmao He actually talked about that on the show last night.

Wolfy

Quote from: Queen Be Damned Sheiba on September 25, 2010, 01:39:03 AM
.... lmao He actually talked about that on the show last night.

I know!...I can't remember the guy's name, but as soon as Stephen found out That was who supported him, rather than Oprah, he was like

:o

:-(

:'(

...Lol...

Queen Be Damned Sheiba

Wolfy

"Oh..him....Well I'm..I'm sure he'll get me...tens of followers! :D.....T_T"

Queen Be Damned Sheiba

I love Stephen Colbert, John Stewart too. Like I said I just wish main stream commentators and politicians were more respectful to them.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Queen Be Damned Sheiba on September 25, 2010, 02:20:46 AM
I love Stephen Colbert, John Stewart too. Like I said I just wish main stream commentators and politicians were more respectful to them.

Well they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Wolfy

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Queen Be Damned Sheiba on September 25, 2010, 01:33:15 AM

Given that the overwhelming majority of politicians in this country would be more appropriately dressed in a clown costume or an orange jumpsuit, I really don't see what their beef with Colbert was. 

Legend has it that the jester in a medieval royal court was the only one who could actually speak freely about political matters--given his station, no one would (ostensibly, anyway) take him seriously.

Callie Del Noire

It irks me that they paid NO MIND to what he was saying after he got serious. I mean COME ON.. there is a comedian in the Senate.. Al Franken.

And he did a fairly good presentation on the topic at hand. Naturally Fox news maulled him.. but they are all tools.

Zeitgeist

Yeah I don't understand the rap on Colbert for his testimony. The joke was on Congress really, for summoning him and imagining he would do anything other than what he does. Plus side, it got people to watch a congressional hearing, and how many 'regular folks' do that?

Wolfy

Don't forget that the one time they laughed, through the whole thing, is after he basically said "And I hope you continue to serve the people with their best interests in mind, like I know you always do."

THAT got a laugh.

...Which is just sad. o-o