The Miskatonic School for Girls - [Recruitment]

Started by MissFire, February 24, 2016, 03:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissFire

The Miskatonic School for Girls
Arkham, MA

Dear Parent,

Welcome to The Miskatonic School for Girls. Located in Arkham, Massachusetts and set within the scenic backdrop of the Spencer Forest which itself sits nestled upon the shores of Toluca Lake (just a quick ferry ride over to tourist haven Silent Hill!) lies our exclusive private school for girls. Has your young lady been having a bit of a 'rebelious' streak? Has she claimed to see supernatural creatures? Does she sometimes speak in Latin and never remember doing so afterwards? Has she been hounded by an abnormal number of seemingly indestructible serial murderers (more than two is well above average)? Has she survived or been the cause of a localized zombie apocalypse? Then our school is for her! At Miskatonic School for Girls, the charming staff will teach your young lady to not only defend herself against the shrieking horrors that constantly seek to pierce the veil between normalcy and insanity, but they will teach her to act like a proper lady while doing so. Our faculty is looking forward to instructing your child in all that the world, and in fact, the universe, has to offer. Hopefully, your daughter will survive the experience in a manner that you will be satisfied with. Or not. Either way, it's too late now. As you read this, there is already a car waiting outside.

Please remember that parents are not allowed to visit the facility except during the yearly Oddly-Shaped Rib Cookout that honors
the memory of any girls that might go missing between now and graduation.

Sincerely,
N. R. LaHotep
Headmistress MSFG

Welcome! The Miskatonic School for Girls is an action/horror RP that seeks to both cherish and poke fun at horror tropes. You will be playing a either a new student or a sophomore, both of which are bunking in the stately Scales Hall, which is adorned with a great many graven images of serpents and even a statue of Yig! It almost seems to watch you as you walk by!

It probably is.

Your character was... absconded with. After reading the above letter, your parents heard the honking of a car horn and peered outside to see a black limo waiting. Just as they noticed this car, there came a knocking at the door. Behind the door they found a woman of Egyptian descent with stormy grey eyes, dressed in a perfectly tailored black suit. She smiled. What happened next, neither you nor your parents can remember. Your next conscious thought was of riding in the limo, your belongings stuffed into the back. Just as panic was about to set in the car arrived and you were there. Miskatonic. How long had it been? An hour? Six? An entire day? You'd lost track of time. It was too late anyway.

You will be rooming with several other young ladies and enrolling in classes that both teach you how to behave like a proper young lady and defend yourself against the supernatural. The supernatural? Yes, you've known about these things your whole life. Ghosts, the undead, unstoppable killers, things from beyond. In some way your character has brushed against things that should not be known and survived. Is Miskatonic some kind of agency training young ladies to defend humanity against the howling darkness beyond the veil of reality? Or is it some bizarre game set up by those very same horrors, out to toy with these girls and see how long it takes to break them? There is only one way to find out.

Rules and Fair Warnings
1. This game will be in the Extreme section for violence and supernatural horror. Your character will not be killed, violated, or driven mad without your consent, but do not expect this ride to be gentle. However, should you fail to post for a week or you drop out, your character will be disposed of in a manner that makes the GM giggle. You have been warned.

2. In accordance with the above, please be able to maintain a steady posting rate. Twice a week is excellent, once a week is minimal. In the case of any absences, please send a PM to inform the GM. If I see you have not posted in a week, I will click your profile. If I look at your profile and see you have been on this website within that timeframe but not been communicating with the group, your character will be eaten by an Elder God. If you have the time to browse the internet, you can spend ten seconds composing an 'I'm busy and cannot post this week' message. You have been double warned.

3. Be involved and constructive. Do you have ideas for how the story should go? Do you have an idea for some world building? Think the GM should change some lore? Then voice it! Just be sure to be constructive and polite. The OOC will be a much livelier place if we're all discussing the setting and story together. This is a group game for a reason!

4. Do not play God and do not create an overpowered character. Characters need flaws to be interesting and dynamic. Perfection is boring. You cannot do anything and everything. If you think your character might be overpowered, PM me to discuss it. Characters must be human and female.

Character Creation

[img height=400 padding=5][float=left]IMAGE URL HERE[/float][/img]
[b]Name:[/b] Last, First
[b]Age:[/b] 17 to 21
[b]Eyes:[/b] Color
[b]Hair:[/b] Color, Length
[b]Build:[/b] A single word descriptor; Average, Curvy, Slender, etc.
[b]Major:[/b] Survivalist, Arcanist, Antiquarian, Alchemist, Paranormal Investigator, or Technician. See below.

[b]Bio:[/b] A brief history of your character. Include any supernatural events she might have experienced. Please try to only stick to one or two 'types'. One person is not going to be stalked by a serial killer, have a haunted house, AND accidentally open the Necronomicon! Not unless they're Lara Croft, anyway. No. You cannot play Lara Croft.

[b]Talents:[/b] What can your character do?

[b]Flaws:[/b] What can't your character do? Fears and personality flaws can also go here, not just an inability in some field.

[b]Notes:[/b] Anything else you might wish to add.

Your Major is the broad archetype your character fits into and represents the focus of the training and education she will recieve, as well as how she would deal with supernatural elements! Miskatonic has already put your character into a group fitting their talents and this is not something that is selected by your character, IC-wise. The school knows her. The school knows all. The majors are as follows;

Survivalist - Someone who's dealt with horrors that required fortitude and armed force to survive. Think of someone like Jill Valentine or Casey (Scream franchise). They might've been caught up in some kind of zombie scare, or were stalked by some kind of psychotic killer that just did not want to seem to go down, even though they were SURE they hit and killed that guy (on total accident) with their car last summer. This type of character would use melee weapons or firearms and in a crisis, her car will not start.

Arcanist - Someone that is good with magic. Perhaps they purchased some kind of magic tome from a pawn shop on a lark, only to discover it was real! Terrible 1996 B-Movie 'Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders' exemplifies this trope. Or, perhaps your character is the latest in a long line of magicians! Dr. Orpheus and his daughter, Trianna, are examples of this. This style of character deals with the temptations of overuse of magic and regularly fending off creatures from the realms of magic. Please do not accidentally set the dorm on fire.

Antiquarian - A character that deals in old books and artifacts. Did you accidentaly unearth the Necronomicon and read the magic words out of order? Have you found the Ark of the Covenant while on a dig with your famous archaeologist parents? Have you battled vengence-drive half-man, half-scorpion abomination that was once the pharoh Abemenethat? Then you, young lady, are an Antiquarian! You are prone to feats of great agility, use of exotic weapons, and triggering traps wherein everything collapses and ruins valuable ruins as you run away screaming. You have probably killed a Nazi at some point. Indiana Jones and Nathan Drake fit snugly here.

Alchemist - Did you accidently turn your brother into a sentient suit of armor while trying to solve the equation for life? Did you develop a liking for incense and then take it way, way too far? Your character is like the magician of science, even though that sounds like as much of an oxymoron as can possibly be. Using ingredients both natural and supernatural, you can bend nature to your whims. That is, if you're not busy running from homunculi, stumbling upon government experiments, or accidentally seeing God when a transmutation goes awry. The Elric brothers fit right here. Remember; this is not magic, it's science! Totally.

Paranormal Investigator - Jinkies! Does your character routinely foil the schemes of geriatric businesspersons? Does she seek to get to the bottom of every mystery? Was she the one that found out that Nessie was just two ducks on a log? Does she look really, really good in a turtleneck sweater? Your character investigates ghosts, phantasms, poltergeists, and specters of all sorts. Usually, these turn out to be tricks, but she stumbled upon one case where things got a bit too real. The Scooby Gang are square in this category. Your character excels at deducing things, outwitting opponents, and coining catchphrases.

Technician - Hey, is that a tesla coil in your pocket or are you just happy to be doing science? Your character spits in God's eye by doing things that man should not attempt. Ressurecting the dead? Tried it. Made a monster. Built a gateway to another dimension? Tried it. A monster came out. Attempted teleportation technology? Tried it. Assistant turned into a half-man, half-fly monster. There are a lot of monsters in super science. It turns out that the world is, like, ninety percent monsters. Your character's intellect allows them to invent fantastic gizmos and wonders which have a habit of going slightly awry. In defense of sweet lady science, you wield technology's greatest arsenal! Gauss rifles, tesla coils, mechanical limbs! But will man's inventions stand up to Miskatonic's horrors? Doctor Thaddeus Venture fits right into this category.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

wigglebiscuit

I've been waiting patiently for this, MissFire!

I'd like to get your tentative approval to develop a gothic drummer from the alt-punk band Alabama Jailbait who is a part-time paranormal investigator who also happens to be an avatar of an ancient fertility goddess who sometimes kills people with her vagina parts.

Whew. That was a mouthful!

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

wigglebiscuit

Wicked Vixen

The three sexiest things ever said...

"I believe that whatever doesn't kill you..simply makes you.......Stranger...."

"You see, madness, as you know....,is like gravity.....All it takes is a little push......"

"Since distance equals velocity times time, let's let velocity and time approach infinity, because I want to go all the way with you."

wigglebiscuit

After further thought, I'm going to switch to antiquarian, as this better suits the theme I am going for (nerd rocker with a dark secret).

Wicked Vixen

The three sexiest things ever said...

"I believe that whatever doesn't kill you..simply makes you.......Stranger...."

"You see, madness, as you know....,is like gravity.....All it takes is a little push......"

"Since distance equals velocity times time, let's let velocity and time approach infinity, because I want to go all the way with you."

Crash

Hmm my favorite Call of Cthulu occupation...Antiquarian.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Crash

Any preference or restrictions on images?  Real people? Artwork?

I am going to go technician.  I want to make grimoire apps, summon non-euclidian fractal minions and invent the strange and unusual!  Cthulhu geek girl!

Yukina

Glad to see this. :) Think I'll play my usual meek bookworm. However she'll be a survivalist instead of an antiquarian or technician. She found she was quite skilled with an ax back at that zombie incident. :)

Yukina

(Sorry for the double post)

Name: Miyazaki, Sakurako
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Brown, Shoulder Length
Build: Curvy
Major: Survivalist

Bio: Sakurako had always been bullied throughout her school years for her meek nature, ethnicity, and stickish build (so much that no one seemed to care when she finally got curves). With so few classmates on her side, it was never thought that she never survive the sudden zombie virus outbreak that had occurred in her town, as it was guessed she would either succumb to the plague or be killed by a bully in the panic. However, the moment she got her hands on the old hatchet in the garage, her fate certainly changed. Whist she still wasn't courageous by the end of it, the innocent brunette managed to defend her family and fend off the mix of rioters and zombies from her home with just the ax in her hands (and a quick guide from her book collection).

Talents: While Sakurako may not be a master combatant, as soon as she obtains an ax of some sort, she can be a deadly foe as long as it means protecting someone she cares about. The meek bookworm also has a sizable collection of books (and the expected skill to speed-read), containing everything from fantasy to ax-wielding guides. 

Flaws: Sakurako has never been the best conversationalist. Due to the continued bullying she received in school, she was left with a natural stammer and low self-esteem which she's never been able to overcome (even though said bullies died in the outbreak).

Notes: The seemingly innocent girl has a good heap of lesbian erotica hidden in her collection.

Zenkai

Would someone like
Liz Sherman
fit in? You know the type - explosive temper,
fiery passion
, burning red hair,
smoking charred ruins in the background.

Not burning down the school will be one of the objectives here. Not sure what Major she would fit - Arcanist, probably, limited to some loosely defined fire magic thing. The character would be only based on Liz from Hellboy, as well. Shall I go for it?

Crash

Quote from: Zenkai on February 25, 2016, 07:34:27 AM
Would someone like
Liz Sherman
fit in? You know the type - explosive temper,
fiery passion
, burning red hair,
smoking charred ruins in the background.

Not burning down the school will be one of the objectives here. Not sure what Major she would fit - Arcanist, probably, limited to some loosely defined fire magic thing. The character would be only based on Liz from Hellboy, as well. Shall I go for it?

Arcanist would make sense, but I am not the GM so I will let Missfire comment on powered and character concepts. ;)

Chrystal

OOOOH, Hi folkses...

wip, I have the perfect character, she just needs to be taylored to fit the char sheet...
Name: Dawn Echa Quachegan

Nationality: Canadian

Ethnicity: Native American, Cree.

Sexuality: Virgin, Closet lesbian

Profession: Unemployed, looking for work after graduating High School.

Personality: Dawn is one of the quiet ones who prove the saying "Still Waters Run Deep". She would rather walk away from a fight than stand up for herself, but this is not through cowardice, rather it is through knowing the history of her people, and all the Native American peoples, knowing that when they tried to stand up for what was rightfully theirs against the white man, when they fought back, they were ruthlessly slaughtered. The tribes that welcomed the invaders and accepted their ways survived, those that fought did not, or were reduced to abject poverty scratching a living on the worthless parts of the land they used to own.

Dawn is not particularly bitter about the past, she simply sees it as a place to learn from and draw experience from.

But although she is quiet and studious, deep within her soul lies a magic, a fire that, once awakened, will not be put out.

History: Dawn's mother and father were born in the city of Toronto, Ontario, they met, married in a traditional Cree ceremony and had a daughter, then a year later a son. Dawn's mother always claimed she could trace her ancestry back to the medicine women of the Cree tribe, and when Dawn was younger she was fascinated by the tales of magic and spirits. As she grew up, however, she became more sceptical of her mother's stories, especially as mum could offer no real evidence.

The fact that her father also traced his ancestry back to the medicine-women, via a more circuitous route, was something she found out later. The dilution of the Cree blood in both branches of her parentage was re-concentrated in her own veins, the genetic material necessary for her to access the old powers, suddenly came together.

Dawn is blissfully unaware of this as she hunts for a normal job, catching the bust to Niagara Falls in the hope of finding work within the Canadian Tourist industry there, much to the disgust of her father who makes a perfectly good living as a car mechanic.

Seriously, I've been dying to use that character for something for ages!

Okay, now I have posted that, I will edit slowly until I have a character that fits the setting!

Name: Quachegan, Dawn Echa
Eyes: Dark brown verging on black
Hair: Black, long
Build: Petite
Major: Arcanist

Bio: Dawn's mother and father were born in the city of Toronto, Ontario, they met, married in a traditional Cree ceremony and had a daughter, then a year later a son. Dawn's mother always claimed she could trace her ancestry back to the medicine women of the Cree tribe, and when Dawn was younger she was fascinated by the tales of magic and spirits. As she grew up, however, she became more sceptical of her mother's stories, especially as mum could offer no real evidence.

The fact that her father also traced his ancestry back to the medicine-women, via a more circuitous route, was something she found out later. The dilution of the Cree blood in both branches of her parentage was re-concentrated in her own veins, the genetic material necessary for her to access the old powers, suddenly came together.

Dawn is blissfully unaware of this as she hunts for a normal job, catching the bust to Niagara Falls in the hope of finding work within the Canadian Tourist industry there, much to the disgust of her father who makes a perfectly good living as a car mechanic. However, she often has weird feelings about things that happen, like she knows they are going to happen before they do. Occasionally, she has come across injured animals, and has picked them up. They never seem afraid of her, and when she lets them go, they are no longer inured. Mostly birds and small rodents, but once she saw a deer with a broken leg lying beside the road. She stopped and stroked it, comforted it, ran her hand over its leg. The next thing she knew the deer got up and ran off.

She has, from time to time, felt as though she were being watched, but when she looks, all she sees is a vague shadowy figure that seems to evaporate as she looks at it.

Talents: Predict the future, to a limited extent. Her precognition is more a sort-of uneasiness and a feeling that something bad is going to happen, than a clear vision of the future. She can heal minor injuries in large animals and major injuries in smaller ones. More than this leaves her feeling drained. She has, unknowingly, brought a dead animal back to life once. She can sense spirits, especially evil ones, unless they are deliberately hiding from her. Seems to have a way with animals.

Flaws: She cannot heal herself. She cannot predict with any accuracy what is going to happen tomorrow, so it is useless to ask her what the lottery result will be. If a spirit is watching her she will always be able to tell, but if one is not specifically looking at her, or is deliberately hiding itself, she won't know it is there. She's never used her animal charming on anything more dangerous than a squirrel. And probably the biggest flaw she has is that she doesn't believe a word of it. Everything that has happened to her she puts down to simple coincidence. The animal wasn't hurt anyway. Her uneasy feeling about crossing the road just then was just normal paranoia about crossing a road and had nothing to do with the car that ran a red light and was crushed underneath the truck.... And as for her feeling of being watched, that's just dumb! Everyone feels that, especially teenagers. And those weird shadows are just tricks of the light!

Notes: I'm assuming the school can abduct girls from across the border?

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

wigglebiscuit

Name: Maebe, Dahlia
Eyes: gunmetal blue
Hair: raven
Build: voluptuous
Major: Paranormal Investigator

Bio: Dahlia has no memory of her life before the age of 15. Her first memory is of waking up behind the dumpster of a bar called Dahlia's, from which she took her name.

After spending several weeks living on the street, she was taken in by a nice professional couple in their 40s. That first year was beset by tragedy. The wife's brother mysteriously disappeared during a visit. The husband's best friend since college, too, the night of a Superbowl party. The strangest thing, though...Mrs. Paige, the next door neighbor, grew the best-looking roses she ever had that season, and the fruit off Mr King's (their other neighbor) citrus trees never tasted so sweet...

After that, things settled down. Attempts to find Dahlia's true family failed, and the couple ultimately adopted her. She started a band, Alabama Jailbait, finished high school, and was making preparations for college when the Miskatonic School for Girls paid her a visit. She was a bright girl, and the band insanely popular, despite lacking any real talent. People enjoy being around her, basking in her sardonic radiance.

Little mysteries surround Dahlia. On the bottom of her left foot is a tattoo: a pair of pea-sized dots. She has no memory of getting the tattoo, and only realized it was there when a nail tech asked her about it. Her theory (and it is only a theory) is that she has a twin out there somewhere; their mother, to tell them apart, had them tattooed as babies. One girl with one dot, the other with two.

Dahlia is a night-owl. She often sneaks out and wanders the darkened streets of the city, smoking clove cigarettes while watching the night people come and go. Interesting fact: sex-related crimes and misogynistic violence has dropped sharply in the city. Serial rapists, pimps, wife-abusers and adulterers seem to vanish into thin air with startling frequency. The only consistency the police have noticed is that flowers bloom around the homes of the missing, regardless of the time of year.

Occasionally during these forays Dahlia will come across things that don't make sense, that shouldn't be. Thus far, she has ignored them--she has problems enough of her own--yet she is still aware of their existence.

On a lighter note, it is a running joke among Dahlia's friends that she masturbates all the time, and is perpetually horny. Yet despite this, she can never seem to keep a boyfriend.

Talents: Dahlia is good a skulking about. While she normally favors tight clothing and bright lipstick, at night she is a different animal, a predator. She is primarily an observer, a keen observer of human nature. She hunts those who prey on women, and when she finds them, she feeds.

Flaws: Dahlia has many, many secrets, some of which are unknown even to her. While she excels as a seductress, and is by no means a coward, she is useless in a fight. While people are often drawn by her magnetic charm, she keeps them at arm's length. Fear of discovery forces her to keep people away. Thus, her conversations are mostly surface, even among 'close' friends, like her bandmates.

She lies, perpetually, and of necessity. Sometimes, she gets caught up in them. She is also nearly always aroused, and not in a good way. It is distracting, and causes her to make bad decisions. It is a curse she has no way of losing.

Notes: People seem to disappear around her with unnerving frequency. These people come in two flavors: one are the misogynists, the woman haters. Two are those with a particular disposition, whether male or female, that being both sexually attracted to the feminine gender and naturally submissive.

wigglebiscuit

Apologies. After writing out my character I went back to Paranormal Investigator.

MissFire

I'm reviewing the submitted profiles at the moment and so far everything seems solid. I might have one of my own up today, though I've come down with a cold so this might have to wait until Friday. Apologies for the delay.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

Yukina

Chrystal

Oddly enough, I made a big pot of chicken stew yesterday and my wife and I finished it off just now.

Feel better MissFire, *hugs* And take your time.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Crash

I hope to have my submission in tonight or tomorrow.

Chrystal

Crash

Quote from: Chrystal on February 25, 2016, 04:33:55 PM
@Wiggle

Please don't make Dawn disappear?

I think Sukurako is in the most danger.  She is the ultra shy submissive.  I don't think Dahlia eats everyone she enjoys.

Chrystal

Quote from: Crash on February 25, 2016, 04:43:47 PM
I think Sukurako is in the most danger.  She is the ultra shy submissive.  I don't think Dahlia eats everyone she enjoys.

Not if she has an axe...

Of course if Dahlia did try to eat Dawn, the Cree would hopefully realise she was in serious danger and run for it!

Crash

Yukina