Trouble with typing

Started by Canuckian, June 05, 2010, 05:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuckian

And sadly, not the typing-tutor variety :)  So far it shows up when I'm typing a PM or a forum post, in that the dialog box will "jump" back up to the top whenever I try to scroll down.  If the block of text extends beyond the size the box, the scroll bar appears and all is normal.  Until I try to type, and then it snaps back up to the top and I can't see what I'm typing.  The letters still show up, but I have to manually scroll back down to see, and as soon as I try to type again...

So far it seems limited to this forum, but it's very annoying.  Any help would be great.

Stan'

Couldn't you just type your reply in a wordpad, then copy-and-paste it here?  It also helps save your post if the internet browser accidentally crashes.

That's just a temporary solution, though.

Canuckian

Quote from: Stan' on June 05, 2010, 05:23:30 PM
Couldn't you just type your reply in a wordpad, then copy-and-paste it here?  It also helps save your post if the internet browser accidentally crashes.

That's just a temporary solution, though.
That helps, but it sometimes screws up the formatting and spacing.  But it's looking like I'll have to do just that.

PureImagination

Do you have Microsoft Office? I use that to type my posts just in case something goes wrong here on E or anywhere else for that matter.

Canuckian

I use Microsoft Works 'cuz it came free with the system.  I'm too cheap to buy Office, since I don't need all that functionality.

Machete

I usually type a pos in Google Docs to make sure I have everything I want in it there.  Plus, that keeps the formatting and spacing the same.

Trieste

Quote from: Canuckian on June 05, 2010, 05:03:29 PM
And sadly, not the typing-tutor variety :)  So far it shows up when I'm typing a PM or a forum post, in that the dialog box will "jump" back up to the top whenever I try to scroll down.  If the block of text extends beyond the size the box, the scroll bar appears and all is normal.  Until I try to type, and then it snaps back up to the top and I can't see what I'm typing.  The letters still show up, but I have to manually scroll back down to see, and as soon as I try to type again...

So far it seems limited to this forum, but it's very annoying.  Any help would be great.

The forum has a small disagreement with Internet Explorer; this problem does not happen in Chrome and I haven't heard of it happening in Firefox. The only current solution is to switch browsers, or you can click the lower right corner of the editbox and drag it until it's long enough to contain your entire post. Or, as suggested above, type it in Notepad, Word, or Google Docs.

Canuckian

Quote from: Trieste on June 05, 2010, 06:03:36 PM
The forum has a small disagreement with Internet Explorer; this problem does not happen in Chrome and I haven't heard of it happening in Firefox. The only current solution is to switch browsers, or you can click the lower right corner of the editbox and drag it until it's long enough to contain your entire post. Or, as suggested above, type it in Notepad, Word, or Google Docs.

Hunh.  -click + drag- Hey!  This is cool!  I didn't know it could do that :)  I think I'll stick with this for now rather than switching browsers.  But that might change.  Thanks anyway :)

Trieste

I probably could have phrased that better than to tell you that the only current solution is [three different solutions]. But I see that you understood the point, so yay! :P

Haibane

Yes, I think this is an unfortunate feature of IE8, though I wasn't aware Elliquiy's code was also an issue? Perhaps it's not. I switched to Firefox some months ago because of this (and the generally unhappy relationship I was having with IE8 at the time) and the problem went away.

Firefox also has a very nice plug-in called Lazarus: Form recovery which loads every keystroke you type on an internet page into memory, as you type, so even if the browser fails or the site eats your post you never lose anything. This has saved me so many grey hairs!

Canuckian

Quote from: Haibane on June 05, 2010, 06:38:22 PMFirefox also has a very nice plug-in called Lazarus: Form recovery which loads every keystroke you type on an internet page into memory, as you type, so even if the browser fails or the site eats your post you never lose anything. This has saved me so many grey hairs!

Annnnnnd with that, I've just been converted to Firefox for E-Land use :D

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Canuckian on June 06, 2010, 10:42:29 AM
Annnnnnd with that, I've just been converted to Firefox for E-Land use :D

I think you'll be very happy with Firefox and the Lazarus Add-on.  It's saved me and a couple writing partners the need to retype something that disappeared before a save or, on another site, I had captured their post when I copied it and pasted it into a word doc (which I deleted when I didn't need it any longer) to type my reply. 

Haibane

I'm surprised more browsers don't support something similar. I guess software companies think people don't often write pages of important text in browser windows... they must assume they use a stand alone text program.

Trieste

!! *does the dance of joy* There is a version for Chrome! Finally!

Haibane

That's good news! *celebrates too*

Lilias

I've had to let go of Lazarus recently, due to some incorrigible glitch (and much to my regret) and moved to Textarea Cache instead. It doesn't look as fancy, but it does the job well.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

DKPeter

I found this while trying to find a solotion to the scroll bar wanting to center itself. I don't know if it is solely a problem with Internet Explore 8, because I haven't had a problem with it on other forums that I am active on. I'm guessing there must be some coding this forum is using that IE8 doesn't agree with.

I have been tryping it up in Microsoft Notepad, but like a poster said it doesn't have some features I like. I do have Microsoft Word, but it is on my laptop which is performing very poorly right now. I used FireFox a long time ago, but for one reason or another I didn't really care for it. I might use google's document software.

Introduction
Character O/OsStory O/OsKinks O/Os
Systems • My Stories • My Characters

Beguile's Mistress

The advantage of using Googledocs is that you can save all of your material off site and access it from anywhere.  One disadvantage for some is that it takes up a lot of memory and slows performance.  I don't have that issue on my PC at home but the one at my office doesn't have the biggest memory and I can't keep G-docs open all the time.  It also slows my laptop.