Things That Did or Did Not Need a Sequel/Precursor

Started by Inkidu, August 03, 2010, 11:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pendarious

the problem isn't that the starwars prequals became movies the problem is that the actor for anakin was too convincing as a whiney little sissy. it totally blows my mind that anakin becomes vader after watching the prequals.

frankly i'm horrified with the way theyre making comic book movies but that's not quite what this topic is about eh?

in any case i don't think that there should have been sequals for megaman X 6......i mean the fact that megaman X got 6 sequals was good enough for a game legacy i mean they were awesome but then the PS2 games just really really killed it.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

MaskOfWinters

Quote from: pendarious on August 12, 2010, 08:01:49 PM
the problem isn't that the starwars prequals became movies the problem is that the actor for anakin was too convincing as a whiney little sissy. it totally blows my mind that anakin becomes vader after watching the prequals.

Anything with Hayden motherfucking Christensen is bound to be a horrible failure. Seriously, his expression almost never changes throughout the course of the prequels. When he does manage to bring some emotion it feels every bit as forced as the worst of bad 80s action movies. Not the campy, so good they're bad ones. The ones that are just bad.

Contrary to what most think, I feel that The Wicker Man deserved the Nicolas Cage remake. I haven't seen the original, but I could watch the remake over and over and over. Films that are self-aware, whether homage or parody to their styles, such as Kill Bill or Planet Terror, are entertaining, of course, but something about a movie that takes itself seriously yet exhibits the same qualities, being a remake or homage to a style, such as The Wicker Man, makes it all the more hilarious.

Oniya

MaskOfWinters, there's no need to resort to profanity to make your point.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

I was going to say that I don't think Alpha Protocol doesn't need a sequel but I read recently that because of it's general lack of acceptance it's not getting one.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Jocelyn Isnt Here

Karate Kid 2 did NOT need to happen.. nuff said :D
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

Geeklet

After playing through it again, Jade Empire really needs a sequel. The gameplay may have had a few flaws, but the story and the setting and the character development were phenomenal.

GeekFury

Highlander. End of story, it didn't need ANYTHING after the first movie, let alone a sequel that makes them aliens..

Scribbles

Quote from: GeekFury on August 20, 2010, 03:46:58 AM
Highlander. End of story, it didn't need ANYTHING after the first movie, let alone a sequel that makes them aliens..

They became aliens? Glad I only watched the first movie now...
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Oniya

Avoid number 2.  Most of the involved cast would rather assume that number 2 never happened.  If you liked the TV series, then Highlander: Endgame is a decent movie.  If not, stick with number 1.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Scribbles

Quote from: Oniya on August 20, 2010, 09:17:11 AM
Avoid number 2.  Most of the involved cast would rather assume that number 2 never happened.  If you liked the TV series, then Highlander: Endgame is a decent movie.  If not, stick with number 1.

I "think" I liked the series as that was awhile back, so I might give it a peek.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Literal Chaos

In this little Scandinavian's opinion, Dragon Ball.  I loved that series... DBZ and it's sucessors just seem so much less... worth it to me.  Not to disparage those who love the series, and I know you are legion, but... the whole 'We're all aliens!' bit reminds me of what killed Highlander for me.
Did I say irregular?  I apparently meant nonexistent.  Well, I'm back!  Newly improved with a 600% increase in stability!*
The Method of the Madness

*this statement has not been evaluated by the food and drug administration
*six-hundred percent of zero is still zero

Drake Nightwing

The Land Before Time. *facepalm* Just, The Land Before Time

Okay, I will admit--I loved the first movie as a child. Even now, as an adult nearly 24 years old, I still have fond memories of the movies because I will still watch it with younger children I'm babysitting (on the rare off-chance I'm actually DOING so for my friends or cousins), and the second one wasn't bad. But then things started stagnating after the third one, and by the fourth the whole shebang was just getting old, and I didn't see it.

After a while, though, it was like...every year a new Land Before Time came out, and I recall the commercials and remembering getting ever more incredulous that they kept increasing the sequel numbers....and then, eventually, a TV series of its own, which seems to have finally killed the franchise after an otherwise successful run (with the series having run about...what...50 episodes or something)?

Seriously, though, 13 films in the series AND a TV show? Where does it end?

(Of course, I really shouldn't say anything about this as this same argument could be supplanted to other works with just as many installments in its OWN franchise. Mario, Mega Man, and Pokemon spring to mind right off the top of my head but I'm sure many, many other examples could be named...)