D&D 4th ed - Take Two

Started by Sethala, February 26, 2011, 12:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethala

So, that was a rather... interesting hiccup with my first try at a 4th ed game here.  Let's try that again.

The group is full right now.  OOC and character threads are up in the NC: Exotic System forums.  Links:

OOC Thread
Character Thread

Character creation rules: Stats are point-buy.  The standard array and sample arrays from PHB page 18 are all point-buy legal, or you can make your own array.  All official sources are allowed.  Assuming we go with a highly sex-based game, I'm fine with houseruling spells and abilities to be of a more sexual nature as long as it's just fluff and not mechanical changes.  If you have an idea for a custom power, feat, etc, PM me and I'll try to work with you to accept it.

Hikari

Ah, what pitiable circumstance; to count thyself amongst those poorest shadows bereft even of a tallow's sputtering glow and a rampart upon which to alight.  Thus for a certainty must the zephyr harry the lofted papillon; for a certainty must the radiant vanguard a'fore dawn's chariot scatter the clinging vapors of night's dew; so doth the actor ever seek the stage.

Really, what good's a character without a game?
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Laughing Hyena

Count me in at least. I have never gotten a chance to play 4e and dangit Im not going to miss another damn one.

Sethala

While I wait for everyone else to check in, I'm going to go over a few thoughts about the adventure and characters...

For the setting, I'm not familiar with Forgotten Realms and I don't have access to the FRPG, so I'm going to go with a generic "points of light" setting.  Which basically means the world map currently consists of the words "Here be dragons" on an otherwise-blank parchment.  I'll flesh out areas, names, and so on as we go.  Additionally, I'm open to suggestions from the rest of the group concerning the area.  In other words, if your character's backstory says he's from the desert to the west, then hey look - there's a desert west of us.  The world is connected to other worlds through spells and portals, and has been for quite some time, so anything that's native to another setting could easily have come to this world.

For characters, I only skimmed through the characters from the previous game, but I don't see anything wrong with them.  Since I have access to the compendium, I'm also going to open things up to everything in 4th ed, as long as it's from an official source (the various books, Dungeon/Dragon magazine, etc); if you want to switch around character abilities, or even want to make a completely new character, go for it.  For character backstory, since we're not in forgotten realms, location names will probably need to change (and possibly NPC names too, if it's an important NPC), but feel free to invent any details about the world that would support your backstory.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them or PM me.

Also: this will be my first time running a 4E game via forums.  Since 4E combat relies heavily on maps and exact positions, I need to find a good way to post maps on the forums.  If anyone has any suggestions of web sites or programs I could use to get a map, I'd appreciate it.

Ixy

I'm curious, to say the least-- 4th ed. kind of overwhelms me, but I'm willing to give it a second try (my first/last 4e try was months ago).  What kind of content do you expect, and will you have a minimum post length?  I'd prefer to find a group with players who like writing in detail, though of course that's not mandatory for every single post (especially combat, etc.).  What kind of new characters would you consider accepting for this attempt?

Sethala

Well, right now I'm not really sure what we have - it's a long story, but I'm kind of taking over for another DM.  So far, it seems like four of the six players are interested, one is out, and the sixth I haven't heard from yet.  I'm willing to have up to six players, so it looks like there's still a slot open.

For content, I'm not sure yet, once I hear back from everyone I'll start talking about that.  As far as post length, I really don't care too much, so long as everyone makes an effort to be descriptive.  I know some people prefer short posts, some prefer two or three paragraphs to say they swing their sword, and for most of us it depends on what's going on and what we're responding to.

Revelation

Will you be allowing stuff from essentials? I want to try a Hexblade, given to me they are the most interesting essentials class.

Sethala

I should clarify my earlier statement...

I am allowing everything from official sources (essentials included), but I reserve the ability to ban or houserule anything that's too overpowered.  I'll compensate anything I ban with enough retraining to not leave the character overly nerfed, of course.  (Generally I won't do this unless something's clearly broken, and I'll work with the player to find out how much of a change would be needed to their character if I do ban something, so don't worry too much about me getting ban-happy.)

Essentials, I admit, I'm not too familiar with, so it'll be a bit interesting to see how things go with that.

Revelation

Do you have an IM client? If so, you can PM me any handles you use and I could discuss what a hexblade is like and what makes them different, I wouldn't mind doing so, either.

Sethala

I'm on the Elliquiy IRC chatroom, if you'd like to chat there, but I pretty much never use IM.

ZameRagues

Here I am.
I'm willing to change my character should there be a problem, or if I find something I like in other DnD books.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues#8888
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Sethala

Well, like I said before, I don't see any real problems with the current characters aside from needing new names for the places and possibly NPCs, since the game isn't taking place in Forgotten Realms.

Anyway, I haven't heard back from Ershin yet, and Luna's not interested, so it looks like we've got at least one open slot for Ixy, possibly another.  I know changingsaint was talking to me about changing to a different character, so I just want a recap from everyone of what chatacters you're all playing as.

As far as game content goes, I haven't started working on much of anything yet, and I'd like a bit of input, mainly about how much ERP the game should have.  If everyone's ok with it, I was planning on having a game focused almost entirely on ERP, involving a sex-crazed cult kidnapping people as the central storyline.  However, if anyone would prefer something that's not as sex-focused, let me know and I'll switch tracks to something else.

Ixy

Sooounds good... an erotic-focused game is outstanding by me so long as the sex makes sense, the writers try to make it interesting, and there actually -is- a plot :D  I will definitely have to use the 4e character builder (er, I hope my account's still good... that could be a problem) as I truly don't have all the mechanics locked in.  I am totally flexible about classes.  I had a Raven Queen paladin that I made a few months ago, but I could be comfortable playing just about anything.

Okay-- thanks for the opportunity, hope this works out!

Zaer Darkwail

Well, if there is spot open I am willing step in :). I have got craving for 4th edition game myself. But I would like know what classes are in group so I do not double stack up. Also races and genders would be nice to know.

Also fine with sex crazed cult kidnapping people for mysterious purpose.

Sethala

Alright, just heard back from Ershin, and it seems she's willing to join.  Zaer, the group's full after that but you'll be first backup if someone has to bow out of the group.

I'm also looking at how to adapt the mechanics of 4E to a play by post game, and I'm coming up with a few ideas.  Again, input would be appreciated:

48-hour delay rule: During combat, if it's your character's turn for at least 48 hours, I may decide to step in and say that you're delaying and move to the next person in initiative, to keep the game moving.  You can come back and undelay whenever you want (you'll start your turn after the current player finishes theirs, or if they haven't started yet you'll start your turn right away).  Alternatively, if you know you'll be gone for a while, you can post or PM tactics for your next turn(s) and I'll run your character for you.

Extra EXP: Due to the slower nature of play by post games, I'll be increasing EXP gains by about 2-3x.  Hopefully this will ensure we can level at a somewhat decent pace (for a forum game, at least).

Ixy

The mechanics ideas work well... I would suggest maybe going with high damage output/low HP enemies to make fights faster, but still dangerous, but that's just me.  I'd suggest that, if the delay is more than 24 hours rather than 48, you could even take the character's action for us if you'd rather not defer it. 

Quick questions: do we need a striker, controller, defender, or leader?  And are we using standard array lvl. 1?

Sethala

Well, assuming everyone keeps their characters from before, we're missing our controller from the previous group.  Characters are:

Changingsaint - Striker: Barbarian (Possibly switching to Hexblade, still a striker)
Hikari - Defender: Fighter
ZameRageus - Striker: Ranger
Ershin - Leader: Bard
Laughing Hyena - Defender: Paladin

Ershin talked to me via PMs and said she might take up being a controller instead, which would leave us leader-less.  Personally, I think controllers are the least important of the four roles, so long as someone has area damage abilities to take care of minion swarms and the like, but if you don't mind playing a controller (or if Ershin switches to controller and you play leader), that would probably work best.

As for combats, I'm not going to stick to only a certain type of enemy, but if a fight against normal enemies falls into a predictable at-will slugfest, I might just step in and automate the rest of the combat, assuming there aren't any objections.  Fights against "boss" enemies or with special rules will be played out in full, however.

If I have to skip someone's turn, I don't want to just completely take it for them unless they want me to, so delaying is the default, but if someone tells me they want to do something specific if they're not available for a turn, I'll play their character to the best of their interests.  But I do want some kind of mechanic in play to ensure we don't wait a week for one person's post.

Another thing I'll probably do is list enemy defenses at the start of a fight, so the players can see if they hit without waiting for me to reply.

Ixy

That's fine by me, so long as it's not placing too much workload on you as DM.  It can be exhausting running these games for weeks, even if it's only for half an hour at a time.

Please let me know what Ershin decides-- or, Ershin, if you're about?  Let me know :)

One last thing-- I'm working on characters (unfortunately I'd made a defender (pally) and striker (assassin) so far) and want to get some of the mechanics out of the way.  Are we using standard array for abilities?  Are we starting at lvl. 1?

Sethala

My bad, forgot to answer those.

Yes, starting at level 1.  Like I said, exp gain will be increased so there won't be as many battles per level (there will still be the same amount of treasure per level, however).  Stats are the point buy system from the PHB/character builder.  The standard array (or any of the arrays from PHB page 18) can be made with point buy, so it's legal if you want to use it.

Edit: I also want to ask everyone about the rating of the game.  I intend for it to at least be NC; I know some of you may be against that and I'll do my best to accommodate you as far as your own character goes, but some scenes may be somewhat integral to the overall story; in those cases, I'll have your character "sitting out", but it might be in your interests to read through what's going on in case something important happens, although I'll try to offset any important stuff so it's not too easy to miss.  That being said, the original game was on the Extreme boards, would you guys like to pick it up there again, or would you rather have it be in the NC boards?

Ixy

I don't think extreme is remotely necessary... that rating's usually reserved for the most controversial, potentially offensive stuff.  I can live with NC.

Sethala

Fair enough, I'm actually not too attached to most of the things in Extreme, though some of the players may like the option to describe death blows in a bit more detail.

Also, whenever I'm able I try to hang out in IRC, both #elliquiy and #elliquiylounge channels.  If anyone wants to chat about the game (or about anything else, really), just message me there.  Replies might be a little slow depending on what I'm doing (usually playing WoW), but I'll try to keep an eye on it.

Revelation

While I primarily want to play a hexblade, I can also play a leader if we need one.

Sethala

Alright, first post is updated with the important points.  Please read through it and post your thoughts.

Revelation

I kinda see sex as a mostly awesome dessert. Its great and you do want it, btu it shouldn't be all that you have. Sometimes you want steak/pizza/a salad/etc. So while i'm not against the idea of a mostly sex based 4e game, I would prefer there be a solid plot, non ERP interaction, etc.

As a personal preference I also like starting out higher then level 1, since level 1 is so... boring :p But I am fine with starting out at said level.

Sethala

Ok, so we're still down a controller.  Like I said before, I don't see controllers being as important to a group as leaders or strikers, so long as the group has some way to disable enemies and hit groups (especially in a 6-PC game, you'll want at least one at-will area attack).

I'll give everyone a chance to reply today, but if there's no objections I'll open up the OOC and character threads in the NC forums and get things rolling there.

As for the story, here's what I'm planning on to start with:

It all began with the disappearances.  People vanishing, while tragic, was sadly not unheard of.  There are many perils on the roads, from treacherous trails, to hordes of monsters waiting to pounce on the unwary, and even worse things.  So when a caravan went missing somewhere between the towns of Evencrest and Northwold, there was little reaction.  Sure, the friends and relatives of those that went misisng mourned, but aside from those that lost someone dear, the incident passed without much thought.  Until a group of hikers went missing nearby a few days later.  And the day after, a hunting party never returned.  Several more disappearances occurred, all surrounding Northwold, and the nearby towns began an investigation.  Unfortunately, the investigation was met with little success, until one day a woman, part of one of the groups that went missing, stumbled into town.  She was naked, weary, almost unable to stand on her own two feet... and she was babbling incoherently.  Most of what she said made no sense, but a few words - sex, temple, torture - kept being said above anything else, and it was clear she had been raped repeatedly.  She was kept in one of the temples, where clerics and mages of every nature tried to cure her madness, but with no success.  A few days later however, in the dead of night, there was a terrible scream.  Some went to investigate, but they saw nothing that would cause such a reaction - the woman was sitting on her bed, breathing heavily... but only a second later, she looked up, rage in her eyes.  She went into a blind fury, clawing and biting madly, killing two of the clerics before she could be brought down.  Since then, a handful of people have been found, all suffering the same symptoms, both men and women.  They are kept in chains and cuffs now, and every so often one of them screams and tries to break out of the restraints, but so far there has been no progress towards a cure.  And so a call to arms has gone out, asking for any able-bodied adventurers to head to the town of Northwold, find the cause of these disappearances and end them, and find a way to cure the madness that has taken hold of those who managed to escape.