Wikileaks, disclosure, and risk to soldiers

Started by mystictiger, October 23, 2010, 08:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: mystictiger on October 26, 2010, 04:46:37 PM
The Plame situation is an interesting one. I've not been able to work out where she was asigned when Libby blew her cover, but it might not necessarily have been getting shot. It is probable that a friendly European country would simply have declared her persona non grata and she would've been on the next flight out.

Not talking about her, or where she was WHEN someone blew her cover (I'm not betting that Libby was the leak either). I'm talking about every place she'd been for the last 10 to 20 years (or however long she was running around in that cover). Plame traveled a LOT, and not simply in Europe. 

When her name came up, people ALL over the world started looking around to see who she might have talked to. In some of those places, putting a guy against a wall was considered a mercy. I'm sure some of them simply vanished and after a short and eventual interlude were dumped into a slit trench.

Zakharra

Quote from: Serephino on October 25, 2010, 10:11:46 PM
But again, if we the public know that spying is being done, and what for, those that we are spying on will know too.  Then all they have to do is a better job of hiding what we're spying for. 

It's more of an open secret that no one talks about much. We know it is done and do stuff to prevent it from happening, and respond when a spy is found. I'm sure the number of spying that is detected and found is fairly large, but most isn't splashed all over the news.