Crazy Purge threats!!!!

Started by Usani, August 14, 2014, 09:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

The film sounds a lot like David Cronenberg's early flick The Parasite Murders aka Shivers, where lab microbes produced by a mad professor lets loose wild anarchy, but in that one the breakdown you get to see was confined to one single luxury apartment complex (today I figure it would have been a gated community and a CIA-produced virus). The plan of the nutty scientist is to infect the whole city with the urge-unleashing parasites, and then the whole world. For a certain amount of time, nobody can get out - just like in Purge the "ultra safe" systems for getting in and out are somehow jammed - and everyone is liable to get contaminated by the sneaking, rogue lust-inducing parasites, and after that point they'll only obey their primal drives for sex, sensual gratification and power. Especially sex of course---  ::)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Sabby

The general idea is that humans are a violent species with violent urges. The Purge is supposed to be the time where everyone is encouraged to get it out of their system, or 'release the Beast'. Everyone gets the killer rage vented and almost all of the violent crime that year is over and done with in one night, which is way easier to manage then the kind of day in and day out crime we're used to. It even (somehow, I have no idea) lowers the unemployment rate to something like 2%.

This completely relies on the ridiculous assumption that the one and only cause of a societies crime rate is 'people are dicks'. Mental health, poverty, poor education, standards of living and flawed police and correctional systems don't seem to factor in, you just kill some people once a year and suddenly your happy, sane and employed.

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on August 17, 2014, 03:52:11 AM
It even (somehow, I have no idea) lowers the unemployment rate to something like 2%.

Because the people that are unemployed can't afford fancy-schmancy security systems and are therefore the first targets?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Nah, the implication seems to be that society just works better after the Beast has been released. Apparently Americas unemployment rate is caused only by aggression.

Formless

The more you delve into it ... The more you'll see the contradictions within it , Sabby.

Any problem that affects a great part of any community is never affected by a single reason. Poverty , unemployment , epidemic ...etc.

Sabby

I agree, it's stupid, just explaining the films logic. To sum the whole story up, "Just kill some people and shit will be fiiine"

Mathim

Quote from: Oniya on August 17, 2014, 10:50:33 AM
Because the people that are unemployed can't afford fancy-schmancy security systems and are therefore the first targets?

Didn't the angry mob want to kill a homeless guy? I mean, if you're going to unleash an army of murdeous yuppies on the downtrodden, then of course the bottom level population is going to suffer huge losses. Maybe the implication of the Purge is that people, after getting all those urges out, become more generous and this creates a more stable economy with lots of extremely menial jobs to keep even the most uneducated people employed. But this goes against the idea of people seeking to profit from more than just bloodshed during this period. Theft and looting would be the primary motivation for most people, I would think, as opposed to seeking violence or murder.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Oniya

Well, theft and looting would be the logical starting points.  But then you have people wanting to defend what's (rightly or wrongly) 'theirs', and the best ways to do that are either having a bigger stick or having a better wall.  If you don't have a wall, you better have a stick, and if your stick isn't big enough, or your wall isn't good enough, then you're looking at trouble - possibly violent trouble.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Mathim

Well, yes, of course, but what we saw in the film were people who couldn't have given a crap about making the property of others their own, they specifically sought out murder targets in aggression rather than in defense of home and hearth. I think rather than buying big security systems most people would simply buy assault weapons and stake out their windows all night waiting for potential burglars to deter. You'd probably hear scattered gunshots around town during a Purge but there would probably be little to do if people properly and adequately prepared for it. Of course then you'd have pissed off people who would probably just hurl a molotov cocktail through someone's window in retaliation for keeping them away and preventing their burgling so you'd at least have massive property damages AND fire control that I'm sure would bankrupt the fire department in the cleanup effort on top of the lives lost from this sort of situation.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

consortium11

I think the Purge is a victim of its own success.

In essence it was a B-Movie with a slightly bigger budget then one would expect. And premises like the Purge's... at first glance somewhat viable but in reality absolutely awful... tend to crop up a lot in B-Movies of that sort. Look at the wave of Western takes on Battle Royale a few years back (for a quick example, the Condemned or the Tournament ). One can go all the way back to certain cult-film classics like Death Race 2000 to see the premise for a film pretty much fall apart with anything more than a cursory look. The difference was that those films tended to go straight to DVD or have a very limited cinema release. The Purge not only got a big release, it made a huge amount of money... but at its heart it's still a B-Movie, the premise little more than a thinly thought of excuse to set up the action. In B-Movies people tend to think past that... but because it was a success we're overthinking it.

And now to over-think it some more.

Sure, crime is legal for a night... but that doesn't mean you can't sue.

Someone steals something belonging to you? No, you can't call the police and have them get arrested/eventually prosecuted... but you could take them to civil court and get the property back + damages. Likewise if a family member were to be killed, you're going to pick up a huge civil court judgement against those who did it. Even my white collar criminal example isn't free; sure, they may "steal" all of the money and make a run for it, but their assets will soon be frozen and a civil court judgement for all the money (+ interest, + damages + costs) will soon go against them.

Zakharra

Quote from: consortium11 on August 19, 2014, 04:40:25 PM

And now to over-think it some more.

Sure, crime is legal for a night... but that doesn't mean you can't sue.

Someone steals something belonging to you? No, you can't call the police and have them get arrested/eventually prosecuted... but you could take them to civil court and get the property back + damages. Likewise if a family member were to be killed, you're going to pick up a huge civil court judgement against those who did it. Even my white collar criminal example isn't free; sure, they may "steal" all of the money and make a run for it, but their assets will soon be frozen and a civil court judgement for all the money (+ interest, + damages + costs) will soon go against them.

Based on the premise of the movie (how in any gods name would something like this have passed Congress let alone be signed into law?!), any crime committed in the 12 hour span is legal. Which means anything stolen from you is not considered theft, or a crime. Murder, rape, arson, none of that would be a crime. There's nothing to sue over because no crime or anything that could be considered criminal happened as far as the law is concerned. So what would you be suing over? Nothing happened as far as the law is concerned. Any death or lose of property would likely be considered 'natural causes' or 'it got lost/fell apart'. The same thing with bank theft. Nothing happened, so there is no recourse for people to get their money back if its stolen from their accounts in that time span.

Over all though, I agree with your first paragraph. The movie falls apart if you take more than a cursory look at it. Way, way too many plot holes to be plausible or believable.

consortium11

Quote from: Zakharra on August 20, 2014, 10:03:55 AM
  Based on the premise of the movie (how in any gods name would something like this have passed Congress let alone be signed into law?!), any crime committed in the 12 hour span is legal. Which means anything stolen from you is not considered theft, or a crime. Murder, rape, arson, none of that would be a crime. There's nothing to sue over because no crime or anything that could be considered criminal happened as far as the law is concerned. So what would you be suing over? Nothing happened as far as the law is concerned. Any death or lose of property would likely be considered 'natural causes' or 'it got lost/fell apart'. The same thing with bank theft. Nothing happened, so there is no recourse for people to get their money back if its stolen from their accounts in that time span.

But something doesn't have to be illegal or a crime for one to sue over it; just because theft is now legal doesn't mean that I can't (to use English law terminology) sue for the intentional tort of trespass to chattels, in the same way that in the vast majority of jurisdictions there is no "crime" of defamation but one can sue for slander or libel (the two forms of defamation).

Criminal and civil law are separate entities. Something no longer being criminal in no way changes whether a civil action can be taken in relation to it.

Sabby

"Did it happen during The Purge?" "Yes your honor" "Then why are you wasting my time?"

Mathim

Quote from: Sabby on August 20, 2014, 12:31:47 PM
"Did it happen during The Purge?" "Yes your honor" "Then why are you wasting my time?"

"Your honor, I was raped during the purge and impregnated, and gave birth to my rapist's child. I would like to sue for child support." How would they handle THAT kind of situation? "Look, son, there's your daddy over there working at Starbucks. No, you can't say hello to him, because legally this never happened."

Inkidu

I've seen the movie the Purge and it's very, very obvious that the system is not supposed to work. Also it should be noted that an unemployment rate around 2% is a society about to collapse. It's also inherently hypocritical. You can't attack the governmental types of a certain level. Also it should be noted that most crimes are spur of the moment things anyway so one night to purge would not actually cause crime rates to drop in any noticeable way.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Out of curiosity, why would an unemployment rate of 2% indicate a society about to collapse? 

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on August 20, 2014, 04:13:26 PM
Out of curiosity, why would an unemployment rate of 2% indicate a society about to collapse?
Okay I'm not an economist but as it was explained to me:

Well I'm not sure if it was actually 2, but unemployment runs at a very fine line. It's optimal at about 3 to 4 percent. Too high no one has any jobs. Too low and not enough people for the jobs that need to get done. Unemployment just doesn't mean homeless and "slackers not getting jobs." It means people quitting and spurring venture investments and entrepreneurial ideas.

If you want a real-world example look at Nazi Germany (and no I'm not evoking Godwin's Law). Hitler actually had the unemployment almost to zero and Nazi Germany would have collapsed without the war effort. They had more jobs that needed going than people to do them.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Thank you - that actually makes sense.

Inkidu

Mathim

I would think that in an ideal society with the infrastructure set up well enough, that unemployment could be that low without the threat of collapse. You might need to have strict population controls in effect, but still...theoretically that should be possible.

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on August 21, 2014, 02:31:04 PM
I would think that in an ideal society with the infrastructure set up well enough, that unemployment could be that low without the threat of collapse. You might need to have strict population controls in effect, but still...theoretically that should be possible.
Well you sort of qualified it beyond a reasonable point of argument. :|

I know that no planned economy in the world has never made it work. Cuba would be the best example and they sit in the low to mid threes. When it got down to 1.6 or so the next quarter it shot back up to the high 2 percents.

And that's what they're reporting.

Denivar

These threats seem about as credible as the kind of threats one might be subjected to nightly playing League of Legends or Dota2...
"If you go to see the woman, do not forget the whip." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Ons and Offs -- Roleplay Ideas -- Apologies, Absences, Excuses, that sort of thing

Vill

Quote from: Formless on August 15, 2014, 11:56:59 AM
It seems to serves a Nihilist's mind and not a conservative mind.

I don't think a Nihilist would accept the terms of the purge.

Zakharra

Quote from: Mathim on August 20, 2014, 02:53:24 PM
"Your honor, I was raped during the purge and impregnated, and gave birth to my rapist's child. I would like to sue for child support." How would they handle THAT kind of situation? "Look, son, there's your daddy over there working at Starbucks. No, you can't say hello to him, because legally this never happened."

Probably. If it happened during the Purge, legally nothing happened and no charges of any kind can be brought against the perpetrator. Otherwise you'd have a LOT of people suing for trauma, loss of income/family and such.