Samsung BAR 256Gb flash drive problem

Started by Annisthyrienne, March 06, 2021, 09:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annisthyrienne

Can anyone help me?

I have a 256Gb Samsung Bar flash drive that I have a lot of files and content stored on, including all of my Word files for all the stories I've ever had here on Elliquiy and elsewhere. I had backed them up on other drives, but not since mid 2019, unfortunately. I'm kicking myself for not being more diligent about backing up now.

Yesterday, I was moving some files that were on the drive into a folder I had created also on the drive. I had several files selected from a list of the contents of a particular folder via holding down the Control key and selecting by clicking. Something happened when I started to drag and drop them into the folder I created and now the USB drive doesn't even get recognized when I plug it into my computer. I've plugged it into different computers with the same result. It's as if it just doesn't show up at all in Windows file explorer. I have another drive just like it and that one shows up just fine, but the content I really need is on the drive that won't show up.

Is there any way to recover this drive, or at least recover the content and files on it?  Oh, I should mention that while the accident happened on a laptop using Windows 10, I've since tried it also on a laptop using Windows 7 and it still won't see it.

Vekseid

On the possibility the USB connector fried, you can try plugging the physical drive directly to a SATA port in some manner. You'd need to open up the enclosure for this and install it somehow, which is going to vary depending on the machines you have access to.

Annisthyrienne

I'm not sure how I could open up the enclosure though. This thing appears to be a one piece metal housing.

But I gather from what you are saying that it is pretty well toast as a USB thumb drive.

Vekseid

Doh, misread. : /

The thing is if the media fails you can often still see the drive. So the data might still be there for a service to recover, though they tend to charge an arm and a leg (a bit less so, possibly, if it's just a bad USB).