Move music off iPod Touch

Started by Ket, July 05, 2010, 01:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ket

Okay - so I have an iPod Touch. All the nifty little programs out there for moving music from it to a new computer don't work. Also, unlike other iPods, you can't use a touch as a storage device. I've been perusing websites for hours - and I still can't figure out how to get my music off this damn thing and onto my laptop, so that when I rip to some new CDs to my laptop, I can transfer them to my iPod without losing everything that is on there already.

Any knowledgeable iPod people out there who can help?
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Paladin

Quote from: Ket on July 05, 2010, 01:20:07 PM
Okay - so I have an iPod Touch. All the nifty little programs out there for moving music from it to a new computer don't work. Also, unlike other iPods, you can't use a touch as a storage device. I've been perusing websites for hours - and I still can't figure out how to get my music off this damn thing and onto my laptop, so that when I rip to some new CDs to my laptop, I can transfer them to my iPod without losing everything that is on there already.

Any knowledgeable iPod people out there who can help?

I use my Ipod Touch as a storage device. Course it is an older model so that might be why. Umm as for the moving thing, it should sync with our itunes Library. You should be able to go onto Itunes and downlaod all the songs you already have for free to the new PC.

Ket

No, you cannot do that. iTunes only offers a way to move the music you have purchased from them, not anything else you have put on the iPod. Which in my case covers a total of three songs out of thousands.

Besides, I'd prefer to stay away from iTunes if at all possible, which is why I have yet to download it onto my laptop.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Paladin

Quote from: Ket on July 05, 2010, 01:46:25 PM
No, you cannot do that. iTunes only offers a way to move the music you have purchased from them, not anything else you have put on the iPod. Which in my case covers a total of three songs out of thousands.

Besides, I'd prefer to stay away from iTunes if at all possible, which is why I have yet to download it onto my laptop.

Umm then Find your music Library for whatever program you are using. Then put it on a thumb drive or portable harddrive. Then on the new computer once your program is setup drag all thoes files back into that same folder. I know it works with Itunes.

Ket

Paladin - it's not that simple. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent the majority of the day doing this. You cannot just go into the Windows folder for your iPod and copy the music. If my other laptop was up and running, I could have copied it all. But it's not, therefor the situation I'm in. I appreciate your help, but trust me, I've tried everything I could think of/find and am looking to see if other people have some knowledge that I don't.

As a side note, I'm running Vista (I know, I know, it freaking blows).

Callie Del Noire

There area  few 2nd party proggies out there that let you back up your iPod stuff.. I use iTunes to move mystuff back and forth but I use it to rip my cds and such.

Ket

I know. Very very few of them work with the iPod Touch, which is what I have. Of those very few that do work with it, you have to pay for them. And I'm paying over $25 for a program I'm going to use once.

Callie Del Noire

Only thing I can suggest is look for an ap to work it out or maybe try iTunes to back it up.. (doubt that will work)

Ket

I figured out it. Luckily when I backed up my last laptop it backed up all my itunes folders as well. Had to hunt down that little obscure folder, make sure it had all the same files as are currently on my ipod, then download itunes (grrrr) and import the file over there.

At least itunes does give you the option to not auto-sync. For a second I had a heart attack thinking I'd nuked it all.

Lesson learned - make sure you have it all backed up somewhere else other than just your ipod and current computer. Otherwise, you're screwed.

Callie Del Noire

Yeah while iTunes is FAIRLY helpful, it has some very TELLING shortfalls. Like backing up, importing and such. It's got the most common options BUT there are some weird gaps in the options.

Ket

I understand the concept behind why they don't make it easy to pull songs off an iPod and put it onto a different computer. But seriously, don't they know the average consumer uses a PC and has no clue about backing up their data?

Anyways - I'm not going to get into a rant. I figured it out and now I won't have sync issues. Thanks!