GM wanted: Evil campaign

Started by Thorne, December 22, 2012, 07:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonDoom

Why? Does the magic shoppe cast Detect Evil on our money?  :P ;D
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Thorne

No. but they might cast it on US. Nevermind the high probability of being recognised on the streets, or running into people that can cast it at will ...
Just seems to me like it'd be easier to make our own items, and not have to depend on outside sources that might turn us in or otherwise screw us over because ... well.. they can.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I imagine as we break out from top security military prison our faces would be in wanted posters because we did something to earn death row seats in there. So we are wanted criminals but nothing prevents using disguises, hired second hands do shopping for us or use magic disguise our alignment.

VonDoom

I'd be more concerned with the wanted posters than our alignment, really -- but yes, a disguise might well do. Or just someone without any particularly unusual features, unless we really are actively terrorizing the whole region, which seems somewhat counter-intuitive to the whole 'wanting to be hired' thing that mercenaries have going for them. And even then we could just go elsewhere to buy our stuff.

O&O

Thorne

Sure.. but I still think such a group would be better off to be as self-sufficient as possible.

It's a thing I can't seem to get anyone to grok - the less you are depending on third parties and mundane/magical disguises, the more flexible you are (and the less you have to worry about an Evil!GM (tm) biting your butt with details).
and yes, when I run games, I am that kind of GM. So I tend to expect it from other GMs. ^^;

Either way, I guess. I just feel like it's something a character would be really reluctant to do, with their mug on wanted posters and half the country looking for them.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Andi

Self-sufficiency has another advantage: instead of high-risk attacks to capture finished goods, lower-risk raids on raw material sources can be made. The tradeoff is time, of course, but any attempt to raze a country like Cormyr is a long shot to begin with.

VonDoom

Sure, and less interaction with other people means a more boring, solitary existence and game experience.  :P

O&O

LisztesFerenc

At lower levels as it stands social interaction will be limited. There will be the rest of The Inheritors of Kruthla (not all of whom will make that good conversation partners), but even they will not be around if you go on a mission that takes you away from the rest of the war band. Do you want me to send some NPCs with you when you go on such independent missions?

As for the self sufficient argument, there is certainly something for it. If there is a war going on magical items may be rationed as those capable of crafting them are conscripted, and purchase could be restricted (especially if a rebel army had just raided a merchant caravan nearby).

Zaer Darkwail

Not to mention if we need healing our budjet is tight as no doubt Inheritors of Kruthla would hog all healing capable personel (minus any PC who is divine spellcaster). Also setting would favor sorcerer based spontaneous casters as wizard to get new spells to spellbook is risky endeavor which asks murdering a war wizard to loot his spells from book.

Imagine us as top wanted terrorists is pretty close the scenario where we are in fantasy setting.

LisztesFerenc

At the same time you are only 1st level PCs. I know even a commoner can be serial killer, but in a world of dragons, archmages and warriors who can kick down a drawbridge, 1st level criminals cannot warrant THAT big a manhunt.

Zaer Darkwail

True, we are just 1st level bastards :P. So not actively hunted but kept eye out for.

Tydorei

Should i make a character now? Lol

Andi

*grins* Well, we /should/ wait for Lisztes to finalize what he wants to do here... that said, I have a few stray ideas already running around.

LisztesFerenc

I've got the basics, I'm just waiting to hear if any changes need to be made to the structure.

In the meantime, the mechanics:

1. Classes: All PF classes are available except the non-core oriental ones, with the following distributions in Cormyr:
Common: Alchemist (although most take levels in wizard/sorcerer, so "pure" alchemists are rarer), Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard
Uncommon: Barbarian, Cavalier, Druid, Inquisitor, Magus, Monk, Oracle, Witch
Rare: Summoner, Gunslinger, Antipaladin

2. Stats: Point buy 32, but with scaling costs, so higher stats become incrementally more expensive. Use the following link, adding racial modifiers after the 32 points have been allocated.
http://tools.digitalightbulb.com/pbcalc.html

3. Traits: Each PC is permitted 2.

4. 3.5 (and homebrew) material: If you think there's something not created by Paizo that would really enhance your character concept, go ahead and ask me. Here's a guideline on what sort of thing stand the best chance: I won't approve base classes and I probably won't approve prestige classes. I may approve archetypes. The things I am most likely going to approve are feats, spells and magical items.

5. Restricting archetypes: I've decided against this, as most of them are too general. I will be adopting this approach with certain prestige classes.

Andi

Just got one question there. Are we using benefits for starting regions, and if so, are they free, are they Traits, are they something else?

Andi

Now that I think about it, another question: any racial restrictions?

Tydorei

I'm writing up a Sorcerer.

LisztesFerenc

Regarding regional traits, I'm not entirely convinced they are worth the effort, but if all the players are keen I'll work on converting them.

As for what races are allowed:
  Core races + aasimar, tiefling, drow, goblin, orc and kobold. Also some of variant racial abilities may mark you as a sub race of the one you chose (such as shield dwarf, sun elf, ghostwise halfling, ect).

Zaer Darkwail

Well, regional feats/gear is just nice bit extra. Example wizard from Thay could get lots scrolls to start with (1st level ones or few 2th level ones). Giving free masterwork longsword for someone coming from Cormyr would think tale/background why he has such fine blade (heritage items are possible via the regional gear).

Overall I myself never considered freebie gear based on region being unbalanced. Even if most expensive ones is example heavy warhorse with riding gear.

LisztesFerenc

I was thinking about the regional feats. Starting equipment works, except for the fact that as prisoners such gear would likely have been confiscated.

Zaer Darkwail

True, but some gear could returned when group breaks free during prison break.

Thorne

Depends if they still have it in lockup - and if we can get to it.

I'm setting up a rogue, btw. Although I suspect I might have said that already. >.>

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Andi

Aright. I'll claim the wild card and set up an Archivist, in that case.

swordwind

*looks about* No set group yet I assume? If not could I hop in?