The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mia h

New Warriors is going ahead on Freeform with a team line up of Mister Immortal, Night Thrasher, Speedball, Microbe, Debrii and Squirrel Girl. Presumably to sit alongside Cloak & Dagger next year.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5hrFVQiGyk

I'm pretty underwhelmed, to be honest. They should have taken a leaf from the Netflix series book about how to make trailers. Not only was it pretty incoherent as far as giving a glimpse of the story but their powers weren't hinted at very well either (in Cloak's case, not at all!) If that was a teaser it ought to have been 30 seconds and at least given us the money shots, you know? But then if it's aimed at a younger audience, maybe that's what they expect...but I doubt it. Even as a teen I would have been turned off by that.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

wander

As someone on Bleeding Cool mentioned, it looks like a teen dance drama movie based off the trailer...

I can guess from this trailer I'm not going to be the target audience for this, though that's fine (I guess) as Cloak and Dagger are pretty cool supers and they deserve some coverage for a newer audience. Also, I kinda think it's symptomatic of how Marvel outside of the MCU are kinda aiming for the tumblr crowd these days.

But still... It seems the super element is going to be downplayed for drama-romance elements. If it gets new folks who normally wouldn't touch a supers media into the wider genre, it can't hurt.

Also, I agree it was a bit of an underwhelming trailer and whilst it seemed to do the 'feel' of Cloak right (would have liked to see more of him in his cloak than a stinger at the end though), it didn't have the contrasting light of Dagger so much, the lighting seemed very dark and it seemed to lack a sense of hope (outside of darkly lit flashes of romance scenes) that counters the dark that Cloak (literally) personifies.

TL;DR:

greenknight

Quote from: wander on April 20, 2017, 12:38:36 PM
As someone on Bleeding Cool mentioned, it looks like a teen dance drama movie based off the trailer...
Thanks. Now I'm going to feel cheated if I don't get this  ;D
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

SapphireStar

Saw the trailer for the new Thor movie, and if the trailer is any indication of what is to come, I'm in. Cate Blanchett is totally awesome as Hela. She has to be possibly even stronger then Odin to be able to break Thor's hammer.

James Gunn said after the third installment for the Guardians of the Galaxy, they will be done with that arc.

Mathim

What does he mean by 'arc'? Are they going to have an entirely new team lineup after that? At least we know one more film beyond just Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 that will be part of Phase 4. Probably Doctor Strange 2, Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2 at the very least. Hopefully some new stuff in there as well, Marvel has said they want to balance things out with at least 1 new property per year along with sequels and/or ensemble films.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

greenknight

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 20, 2017, 05:22:15 PM
She has to be possibly even stronger then Odin to be able to break Thor's hammer.
It's all about the entropy. Mjolnir didn't break, it rotted. That's my take.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

wander

The Thor Ragnarok trailer was magnificent, gonna really enjoy it I reckon come November. :)

So, in other news the GotG vol 2 ost track-list was revealed. People on youtube have already made playlists of the tracks involved. E doesn't like youtube playlists being linked, though if you search 'GotG vol 2 ost' in youtube, you'll see the playlists.

I want to comment on George Harrison's My Sweet Lord. That could be used for a number of things, though if you take into account the lyrics from the pov of Peter's mother, it could be about her waiting to see Ego again (she called him an Angel after all). And it makes the sound epicly sad...  :'(

Also we got Cat Steven's Father and Son... I am worried if Ego is going to make it to the end of the film based off this track being included...

And finally we got a Parliament track in there to bounce off the more classic and country this ost seems to have... Here's hoping for another cool opening scene of Peter throwing shapes to some old time FUNK!  XD

Mathim

I wonder if it's going to end up with the situation from the first film, where the song in the trailer wasn't actually used in the movie (even though it totally would have worked) and didn't end up on the OST.

SapphireStar

I think they showed it laying in pieces on the ground after she crushed it.

James Gunn said after the third Guardians of the Galaxy movie, they will be done with the current arc for that group. Though, it could mean story, Starlord had found out about who his father is and where he comes from. Or, with the team as a whole as Gamorra becomes a guardian of one of the infinity gems like in the comics? The fight with Thanos leaves the team decimated.

Update: Okay, so checking out a website for info on the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 movie. According to the site, Sylvester Stallone's character is Stakar/Starhawk and Michael Rosenbaum's character works "in tandem" with Starhawk. So that leads me to believe that when Stallone shifts into Starhawk, Starhawk's form would be that of Michael Rosenbaum's. Also, Michelle Yeoh is playing Aleta who has ties to Stakar/Starhawk in the comics as they were married. Ving Rhames is playing Charlie-27. These characters are being introduced according to the site as they will appear in future movies, and they each have been members of Guardians of the Galaxy team. Though the latter characters were from the team led by Vance Astro in the first round of Guardians of the Galaxy comics.

mia h

Turns out Young Justice isn't going to Netflix after all, DC are launching their own streaming service and the first two shows are going to be Young Justice : Outsiders (aka Season 3) and a live action Titans show.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: mia h on April 26, 2017, 01:55:36 AM
Turns out Young Justice isn't going to Netflix after all, DC are launching their own streaming service and the first two shows are going to be Young Justice : Outsiders (aka Season 3) and a live action Titans show.

Oh? That's pretty bold, I know streaming services are the way of the future and such. My biggest concern is they could shoot themselves in the foot, if its not technically sound.

WWE lost a lot of money when they first released their own and the thing was a technical mess. That's not counting what they lost from switching from PPV
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

mia h

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 26, 2017, 05:08:35 AM
Oh? That's pretty bold, I know streaming services are the way of the future and such. My biggest concern is they could shoot themselves in the foot, if its not technically sound.

WWE lost a lot of money when they first released their own and the thing was a technical mess. That's not counting what they lost from switching from PPV
It's being done in partnership with Warner Bros. add in that Greg Berlanti is the showrunner for Titans and he's got lots of links to CBS who are launching their own streaming service also WB & CBS co-own The CW, then I think they should be able to sort out the technical side.

The bigger problem is going to be content; Young Justice, Titans then what? There's the animated movies but there's only 3 of those a year. Maybe get stuff like Smallville or Teen Titans Go! If you're paying $10 a month you want $10 worth of content.

CaptainNexus616

I don't think lack of content should be an issue.  Unlike Marvel, DC has it's entire collection still under one roof known as Warner Bros.  Beside   the modern movies and shows including the League, Arrow, Gotham, and Supergirl.

There is a slew of past productions animated, televison, and theatrical.

We are talking about the Adam West's Batman, Christopher Reeve's Superman, Burton's Batman, the animated Justice League series, the award winning Batman animated​ series, the Superman animated series, the original Teen Titans series, the adventures of Lois and Clark, the animated movies. The Green Lantern show and movie The list goes on.

The biggest issue I foresee with content is that most of what I mentioned that is older is either Batman or Superman. So unless you are wanting some nostalgia, or to watch the newer shows like Flash and Arrow, you could get burned out over the excess of Batman
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Guardians of the Galaxy is having FIVE post-credit sequences. I mean, that's batshit crazy! Are they just going to interrupt the credits four times until the final one where there are no more credits after or are they going to be one-after-another and spare us from waiting all the way through the credits to see the last one (which is always a pain in the ass unless they happen to have a really good song or two playing during them).

SapphireStar

The Vixen animated show is on CW Seed which is also part of the online streaming. Young Justice isn't the only one on the DC Digital. The live action Teen Titans is a go for production on DC Digital. The live action Titans is also going to be produced by Greg Berlanti.

wander

Quote from: Mathim on April 26, 2017, 08:43:56 AM
Guardians of the Galaxy is having FIVE post-credit sequences. I mean, that's batshit crazy! Are they just going to interrupt the credits four times until the final one where there are no more credits after or are they going to be one-after-another and spare us from waiting all the way through the credits to see the last one (which is always a pain in the ass unless they happen to have a really good song or two playing during them).

It's been stated that Infinity War happens 4 years after Vol.2... I wouldn't be surprised if these credits scenes fill out as things the Guardians are doing between the events of these two films, maybe slipping a few cameos in there too. We already know Nathan Fillion is playing Power Man on modern Earth, so possibly one will be set there? There was the cut credits scene from the 1st film where we were supposed to see Pete's grandpa in modern day, looking older, staring up at the night's sky, giving the assumption he know Pete's up there somewhere... That could be reinserted.

Also... There was supposed to be a Hulk scene from Age of Ultron that Whedon cut even though it was supposed to be majorly awesome and we've been teased it may still yet appear in a future film... My assumption? I believe the scene follows Banner taking the Quinjet... I think then we'd see a message from Stark in the Illuminati style stating to Banner he's too dangerous to be left alone and the ship locks him in and auto-pilots for space for the closest peaceful planet. Maybe we see him hit the wormhole, maybe not...
You know where it leads...
If so, it'd REALLY build up the Hype-Train for that other cosmic film coming out in November...  8-)

mia h

Quote from: wander on April 26, 2017, 02:29:08 PM
If so, it'd REALLY build up the Hype-Train for that other cosmic film coming out in November...  8-)
But The Last Jedi isn't released until December :P

Mathim

Well, since Thor: Ragnarok is post-GOTGv2, I wouldn't be surprised if they used one of those five scenes to bridge the gap between Hulk's Quinjet absconding and his ending up in the Grandmaster's menagerie.

wander

Aaaaaaaaand...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
They don't. Not sure whether to talk on what the five scenes are. Comicbookcast2 does have a video on what they are over on youtube if you don't mind being spoiled. I'd recommend not to watch that video, as one post-credit scene does hint towards something major about a particular character, which I won't spoil here.

SapphireStar

Guardians of the Galaxy
The character of Ayesha is another name for the character of Kismet. She also went by the name Her. Who has ties to an essential character in the fight against Thanos.
I thought James Gunn said they were doing away with the five credit scenes?

It is interesting to see Loki with the Grandmaster. So, it could be assumed that he had a hand in the Hulk getting captured as payback for the Hulk tossing him around in the first Avengers movie, and Hulk calling him a "Puny God".

wander

Going on radio silence in this thread for the moment! ^^

Lol, more for fear of spoiling things than reading them! (Guardians is already out over here, not sure about the US).

SapphireStar

When they introduce characters, I look them up, and at first I thought Ayesha might have been the MCU version of Moondragon. Marvel has a tendency to have characters change names throughout the years which gets a little confusing. And with the MCU, they've stated picking details from various universes.

They revealed the next X-Men movie will be Dark Phoenix. Without Wolverine in the plot, doubt will watch it.

Mathim

What would have worked best (in my opinion) as a hypothetical scene for the Hulk ending up off-world is, as he's flying in the Quinjet and looking for an uncharted island to jump out over, and Wakanda is monitoring him with their advanced technology, they see something unidentified using some form of unknown energy to draw the Quinjet and its passenger either out of the atmosphere, or through a wormhole (probably the latter, most likely). That way you could tie both Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok in one post-credits scene.

Mathim

As much as I loved, absolutely LOVED, the first one, I can't help but wonder if this one is going to suffer sequelitis and degrade in quality...let's hope Matthew Vaughn is up to the task.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nxc-3WpMbg