Underdark: Treacherous Ties [NC/Extreme] - Interest Check

Started by Mr Self Destruct, April 09, 2010, 10:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Self Destruct

Nindyn Vel'uss Kyorl Nind Ratha Thalra Elghinn Dal Lil Alust   

Those Who Watch Their Backs Meet Death From The Front...

Every being is susceptible to the corruption of the spirit, a darkness brought on by one's own selfish greed and malice toward another.  In ages past, the elves themselves succumbed to such a fate, and their society began to be torn by discord and warfare.  Those darker of skin were seen as responsible for communing with dark forces and tempting their brethren to do the same.  The wars were long and bloody, but eventually, these dark elves were driven underground, and were declared dhaerow, the elven word for traitors.  This term eventually encompassed the dark elves who would become known as the drow.

Dark elves are as lithe and graceful as their surface kin, but their purpose for being so is much more lethal.  They are trained killers, highly skilled in many dark arts.  All drow have similar distinct features.  Their hair colors range from a staunch white to a more silky silver, with some even tending toward a pale blonde color.  Their eyes shine red or lavender in the darkness, and their skin is as black as the subterranean realm they inhabit, the Underdark.  Their ears are pointed, and they are typically shorter than most humans, though some can range to heights of six feet (though they are rare in the caverns of the Underdark).

Their equipment (magical boots and cloaks, and fine mesh armor similar to chainmail) is black in color is rumored to be empowered by the strange emanations of their homeland.  It is possible for their armor and weapons to lose this power and fall apart when exposed to direct sunlight if they are removed from the archaic source of their power for too long.  Females are inherently more powerful than males, and only females may be clerics or fighter/clerics; male drow are commonly fighters, magic-users, or both classes at once. Drow move silently and with a graceful quickness, even when wearing their armor, and blend into shadows with ease. They carry long daggers and short swords of an adamantite alloy and small one-handed crossbows which shoot darts carrying a poison that causes unconsciousness. Drow are difficult to surprise as they are able to see very well in the dark, have an intuitive sense about their underground world similar to that of dwarves, and can detect hidden or secret doors as easily as other elves do.

Drow are highly resistant to magic.  All drow, commoners and nobles alike, have the ability to use some inherent magical abilities even if they are not strictly spellcasters (described below). They are able to communicate using a silent language composed of hand movements, and when coupled with facial and body expression, movement, and posture, this form of communication is the equal of any spoken language.  Known as drow sign language, it serves the purpose of allowing communication freely while avoiding being overheard by one's rivals, or more possibly, an enemy lurking in the darkness.  During play, please italicize all sentences spoken in the drow sign, so as to avoid any miscommunication by other players.

Mundane Magical Abilities

Summon Darkness: All drow can summon a globe of impenitrable darkness.  The globe is roughly eight feet in diameter, and some drow have been able to summon the darkness and attach it to a physical object (arrow, rock, dagger), and when the object is moved, the darkness moves with it.  The magical globe of darkness lasts for at least fifteen minutes, but no longer than thirty.

Levitation: Only drow nobles, or commoners with access to magical items gifted with levitation, may use this power.  Drow nobles often imbue their House insignias (brooches, pins, etc) with the power, and activate it thusly, allowing them to rise or lower themselves.  Note that this ability does not allow flight...the drow may move up or down, but moving back and forth requires some other means of conveyance.

Faerie Fire: Summoning magical, purple flames to outline a target allows the dark elves to mark their foes when they might not otherwise be able to see them.  The fires do not burn, but serve as a lighting source to the sensitive drow eyes that gaze upon the magic.  The faerie fire is often used to light torches and lamps, allowing some scant illumination when necessary.

Society

Drow society is matriarchal, with priestesses of their evil spider goddess Lolth in the highest seats of power.  Males are considered inferior to females within drow society, and while some males may be respected if they are powerful wizards, they are never allowed to rule.  The highest position a male may earn in any House is either High Mage or Weapons Master.  Otherwise, they are often delegated among the rank of soldier, and are treated the same as any other male. 
Drow society is based upon violence, murder, cunning, and the philosophy that only the strong survive.  Most drow plot endlessly, scheming of ways to eliminate their rivals and enemies using deciet and betrayal.  Most drow, particularly those in higher positions, are constantly wary of assassins, spawing the phrase, Those who watch their backs meet death in the front, an old drow proverb.  It is impossible to move forward if one worries about what is behind them, but doing so is also a danger.  The constant infighting and warring among their kind leads to an ultimately short lifespan for most dark elves, and it is rare to meet an old drow.  Consequently, drow are the only race of elves that manages to match the fertility of lesser races, and mating is considered a necessary action, if not entirely enjoyable.  It often involves a priestess calling upon her mate, using him for her own desires, and then strictly ending all ties with him, if not outright killing him in the process.  The act has spawned the Dark Widows, a secret cabal of high priestesses who mate with powerful males to further strengthen their own Houses, then killing the male upon orgasm.

House Positions

Matron Mother: The ruling female of the House, and also typically the oldest.  She rules with an iron fist and a steadfast will, and suffers no pretenders to her throne.  The position is usually earned through a coup; a conspiring daughter or sister usurps her mother or relative, often killing her, and taking the throne for herself.  There are times when the ruling matron dies of natural causes and the next in line ascends, though they are rare.

High Priestess: The daughters and sisters of the Matron Mother, these are the ranking females in any House.  They are often cruel and malicious to their male kin, and undertake any important task for their House, from invoking the will of Lolth in rituals and summonings, to organizing and commanding raiding parties on other houses.  They are usually clerics of the goddess Lolth, and their divine knowledge is enough to know her will, which they impart to the Matron Mother.

Patron Father: Though a role for a mere male, the Patron Father (if a surviving one can be found) is the highest ranking male in any house.  He exists to coerce the sons and brothers of the House to perform the will of the Matron, and to keep the rank and file soldiers in line.  His position is one of respect, though not the manner given to the High Priestesses or Matron Mother.  Their respect comes from fear, while his comes from knowing that he has been strong enough to survive the rule of the Matron for many years.

House Mage: The House Mage is the most powerful arcanist in the House, and is usually a wizard or sorcerer.  He consults with the Matron Mother on matters related to arcane necessity, such as warding and defenses of the physical structure of the house in question.  House Mages are invaluable due to their arcane knowledge, and though the High Priestesses regularly consult with demons and other denizens of the Abyss, it is the power to reach other planes and commune with devils and other chaotic outsiders that grants the House Mage a larger than normal amount of respect.

Weapons Master: The House Weapons Master is the deadliest warrior in any drow family.  Through years of fighting and honing his skills, he has become a deadly master of every drow weapon, and some not found in the Underdark.  He is consulted during times of war, and is often responsible for strategies and tactics during raids on rival Houses.  Though physically powerful enough to slay any female drow in the House, the Weapons Master knows better than to try, for to do so would invoke the killing wrath of his Mother and Sisters, as well as Lolth herself.

Soldier: The rank and file members of any house, these drow are either not ambitious enough to climb any higher, or are too naive to do so.  Some are cousins and adopted drow from a crushed rival house, throwing their lot in with the victor to avoid death.  They are little better than the house slaves they belittle and torment while not busy on patrols or raids, and know that they are nothing more than the spearhead of an army, poised above a rival's heart.  House soldiers also number a majority of females in their ranks, and while technically higher in status than the presitgious males of the House, they are afforded little respect.  If a drow female exists in the rank of the soldier caste, they often wound up their due to a failed coup or other plot, and this low position was their punishment. 

Arcane Guard: The Arcane Guard are the wizards and sorcerers of every House who's status is the same as the rank and file soldier caste.  They assist in battles, conjuring denizens of other planes to assist their fellow soldiers in victory, as well as to combat other wizards on the face of battle.  They are often a wild and reckless lot, reveling in any warfare on behalf of their house, and lack the discipline of the soldier caste.  They are kept in line by both the House Mage and the High Priestesses, who view their existance as a necessary, but not entirely pleasant, part of their House.

Menzoberranzan

Deep beneath the surface of Faerun, enemies lurk.

They are dark elves, creatures of hatred and malice and unkempt passions.  They are heartless and cruel, and avaricious and spiteful.  Through the blessing of their dark goddess, the Spider Queen Lolth, they scheme and plot and wage wars of atrition on one another.  From their seat on the Council, the eight highest houses of the city rule over those below, and none would dare challenge the rulings of these sacred Matron Mothers, all clerics of their deity, gifted in both divine power and the holy viciousness of their Spider Queen.

The city they rule is Menzoberranzan.  The City of Spiders it is called, and everywhere one looks, the arachnid creatures thrive.  To disturb their webs is considered heresy, and to kill one of the creatures so blessed by Lolth is to invite the wrath of every high preistess in the city.  Some are tiny and miniscule, while others are gargantuan beasts that dwarf dragons in size, but all are sacred.  To purposefully harm one, or kill it, is to invite the wrath of the goddess herself.

The city is aglow with faerie fire, the magical dancing lights casting eerie gleams of purple, scarlet, and sapphire from enchanted stalactites aglow with the stuff.  Other than these magical lights, the city is one of darkness, a gloom so complete as to make any surface dwelling beings completely blind.  Even those with darkvision have trouble navigating the darkness, but the drow are gifted with infravision, the ability to sense heat signatures that cumulates in the crimson glow of their feirce eyes.  Their skin is as black as the city they call their home, and their bodies are lithe and nimble, but capable of stunning quickness and fierce strength. 

Miscellaneous Information

• The game is not First Come, First Serve.  Please PM me your profiles for approval.  If you're not accepted, please don't take offense.  I'm looking for literate role players for this one, as well as those who have a genuine love and working knowledge of the subject matter. 

• I'm specifically looking for 8-10 writing partners for this game.  Female characters of a dominant persuasion fit the bill rather well, as are male characters who are willing to be the submissive victims of them.  That is not to say that any male character is weak or should act that way.  The society is matriarchal, which means, like it or not, the women are in charge.  But the men are not helpless, and can be just as dangerous, if given the opportunity.

• The roles listed above are to help flesh out your character.  This game is heavily D&D influenced, and as such, some might like to include classes for their characters in their profiles.  Acceptable classes are as follows: Clerics, fighters, paladins (for female characters), and fighters, rogues, wizards, sorcerers (for male characters).  These are not necessary in a profile write-up, but serve as a general information point for those who wish to include them.

• If you're interested, feel free to post so here.  I'd like to begin by seeing how many people show an interest, as well as an enthusiasm for the game.  If the numbers are there, we can move onto character profiles and approval.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or to show off an early idea for a character.

Doomsday

Staking my interest, and I imagine Nessy might like to read this thread too, if you want to PM her.

PeacethatPowerbrings

Well, I'm interested. Now you've got me stuck thinking up characters though. ;)
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

Xanatos

Oh hell yes... Hell yes. Drow rule supreme!

Female Cleric on the way. Are those house positions up for grabs or just to help educate those new to the Drow? If they are up for grabs I will try for Matron if not that then just as good High Priestess.

Do you have a problem with me also playing a Draegloth? I love playing more than one character and Draegloths are just as fun to play. Oh and I already have the characters up and ready. I can just tweak some things.

Oh and I assume this is free form yes?

Mr Self Destruct

All positions are up for grabs, save for the Draegloth...one is currently in the works *grins maliciously*

And yes, this will be free form.  D&D is great in a tabletop setting, but running one on the forum will just make my head hurt.  Too...much...math *brain explodes* lol

I'm glad to see more interest in this.  If anyone knows of others that would similarly be interested, send them our way!

Samael

L'elamshin D'lil Ilythiiri Zhah Ulu Har'luth Jal

Some questions, if you don't mind?
- How often do you want for people to post in average?
- Average posting length you aim for?
- Free sexual preferences for the chars?

Kinda full on RPs, but I'm long since craving for a good, authentic drow rp... so, tentatively curious...

Xal dosst velve tlu sarnor lu' dosst elg'cahl gareth
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Xanatos

Desired Spot: Matron Mother
Secondary Spot: High Priestess, daughter

I would like to try for the Matron mother position, I have never played one before, would be a interesting new thing for me. If I cannot get that position I am happy to play a High Priestess daughter.

That background is short, if you would like me to add more I will see what I can come up with. Otherwise I think this does it.

Also, would my character having a snake headed whip be acceptable? I added it in the character below but will remove it should you not like that.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Name: Jhul'ee Min'ee Esril'loth; this means Treasure of, Daughter of, Drow, Lolth. She goes by her whole name or any of the first two names, with the last name added on to one or both of the first two. (Jhul means Treasure, Min means Daughter, ee  means of [this implies higher birth than that of e ], Esril means Drow or of Drow, loth means Lolth or of Lolth.)
Class: Priestess

Appearance: Jhul'ee is rather imposing for a drow, standing at an impressive 5'5". Her hair is normal for a Drow, pure snow white, her skin a lustrous jet black showing how meticulously she takes care of her body. Her eyes are the second thing which makes her stand out, they are purple. Purple is not unheard of but it is rare.

Her entire appearance, not unlike many females is intimidating and strong, though not often is she seen as she traverses the bazaar. For those unlucky enough to see her notice how much of a warrior she looks yet not, her hair, skin, and clothing, as well as her armor as all immaculate. Male Drow have taken this to be a sign of show and assumed it a weakness only to be cut down moments later by the fearsome High Priestess.

Her clothing tends to be quite revealing, showing her beautiful and full body off. If not wearing revealing clothing she is wearing armor, a favorite of hers, fine black mithril or adamantine. She carries a shield and a malicious looking sword. Also, among her arsenal is her snake headed whip, a gift of Lolth.

Purple instead of red eyes and no piercings of any kind

Personality: Jhul'ee is not average in any means, though many in many things she looks average. Her personality is much less full of rage and uncontrolled anger like her kin; she possesses a much stronger will and ability to control the anger placed into her by her mother. At first it was seen as almost a weakness since she displayed her anger outwardly so rarely but her mother saw the immense value in such control and spared her, realizing how it could be a powerful weapon. Jhul'ee is cunning, devious, calculating, cautious yet willing to make snap decisions, and is a great thinker and has a wealth of knowledge stored in her mind. She is calm and controlled rarely showing her emotions, except a sadistic smile which tends to spread across her face.

Many underestimate her because she is not outwardly aggressive, often, but she is not one to mess with. Beneath the calm exterior is a Widow waiting to pounce and make a meal out of any who fumble into her web. Aggression she has but the will and the ability to control it as well.

Driving Emotions: Jhul'ee lives to serve Lolth as any devoted priestess and female would. Her thirst for power is only matched by her devotion to her dark goddess. Jhul'ee has a great thirst to gain information. She is not a scholarly drow, but information is more powerful than gold to the drow. Information can kill a drow, or bring down a house and much more. Also she is a drow of comfort, loving to have slaves massage her, or to bathe, and so forth. She, however, is very keen to make sure her indulgences do not spell her doom.

Background: Jhul'ee from a young age showed a knack for finding out things, and manipulating her siblings. She would send them on 'missions' to gather information for her, and if they got in trouble she would either deny any involvement or would not be implicated. Unknown to her, her mother the Matron of the house, had taken notice to her skills and was immensely pleased at the potential her daughter showed. As the years went on her skills only improved. Her mother made the decision to have her trained as a Rogue that specialized in information gathering and manipulation. Upon her first successful year of rogue training, her mother had a vision from Lolth; it told her that Jhul'ee was to become a Priestess of Lolth and that she showed much potential. After this vision Jhul'ee received the name she is called by now, Jhul'ee Min'ee Esril'loth, Treasure of, Daughter of, Drow, Lolth. Jhul'ee excelled as a Priestess of Lolth, and has used her innate skills to further her goals and that of her house ever since.

Example of Roleplaying Jhul'ee:
A dark shoddy bar built part way into the cavern wall sits in the poorer section of the city. Inside many none-drow drown out their sorrows in a stiff mug of ale. In the corner, a female drow straddles a male drow, the male smiling.
So what do I owe the honor of this... special treatment? The male drow asks smugly.
The female smacks the male on the cheek, which only makes him smile more. She lightly grabs his chin and smiles herself.
This special treatment comes at a cost... She pauses to smile wickedly then continues. ... I am afraid. I want some information on a priestess by the name of Uulae. To punctuate her point with some incentive, she kisses him.
The male accepts the kiss unafraid of any poison that could have potentially been laced on her plump lips. He smiles as she withdraws her kiss and nods.
Information? What's new. He chuckles knowingly. Well information I can do. I hate those self-righteous females, they rule without mercy. He pauses, realizing what he just said. Without mercy, self righteous! Ha, aren't we all.
Jhul'ee smiles to herself, Stupid pathetic male, you speak in the presence of a chosen of Lolth. We females, we priestesses are Lolth's instruments. She thought about killing him afterwards, but decided not to waste her time on such an insignificant male. Had he blasphemed against Lolth however, she would most likely have killed him where he sat.

Doomsday

I think I'll make a powerful mage, ala Gromph Baenre... I'll work on a character sheet in a few.

Drake Valentine

Hmm, I may be interested.

Though I am also curious to the answers to the questions that Samael brought up, to know if I have the time for it, depending how demanding it may be for posting activity.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Tydorei

Opheliac

If I decide to play, I choose to be of Fallen House Oblodra, missing daughter of K'yorl Odran, currently serving Bregan D'Arthe.

Nessy

Quote from: Samael on April 11, 2010, 12:47:54 AM
L'elamshin D'lil Ilythiiri Zhah Ulu Har'luth Jal

I would be interested in knowing these questions as well. In addition, are there only two positions, priestess and matron, available for strong female characters? And you  mention NC/extreme, how extreme are we talking?
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Xanatos

I doubt there is only two female positions open, female Drow can be any class but tend to be priestesses more as its basically the cultural norm; Matron mothers also tend to have more daughters because having more priestesses/children in general tends to bring more power or opportunities for power. Obviously its up to Dark for the last word. As for how extreme, Drow can get as extreme as it gets plain and simple. Cavern roofs the limit; again Dark has last say.

Nessy

Quote from: Xanatos on April 11, 2010, 11:35:52 PM
I doubt there is only two female positions open, female Drow can be any class but tend to be priestesses more as its basically the cultural norm; Matron mothers also tend to have more daughters because having more priestesses/children in general tends to bring more power or opportunities for power. Obviously its up to Dark for the last word. As for how extreme, Drow can get as extreme as it gets plain and simple. Cavern roofs the limit; again Dark has last say.

I have read the novels and am familiar with the Drow in general through DnD and AD&D. Obviously, my questions were specific to this game and the one running it as to what his wishes are in regards to the roles the females are allowed to have and what extreme content is wanted and/or expected in this specific game.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Xanatos

Figured as much, just thought I would mention it just in case you were unfamiliar.

Doomsday

I've submitted my character to Dark, waiting for his word :-)

Mr Self Destruct

Quote from: Samael on April 11, 2010, 12:47:54 AM

Posting requirements are at least once a week.  Ideally, 2-3 times a week would be nice, but real life has a way of keeping us all busy at one point or another.  For average posting length, 3-5 paragraphs is also ideal, but it is necessary, at times, for less, depending on what is available to respond to, or when having conversation.  I'm not telling anyone you have to do this or that, but the effort is surely appreciated. :)

For free sexual preferences, I assume you mean hetero/bi/etc?  If that's the case, then yes, play what you're comfortable with.  No worries there.

Quote from: Nessy on April 11, 2010, 01:37:33 PM
In addition, are there only two positions, priestess and matron, available for strong female characters? And you  mention NC/extreme, how extreme are we talking?

There are numerous positions for strong female characters, those two are simply the most prevalent.  There's nothing to say that you couldn't play something entirely different...for example, a female drow member of House Baenre, the most prevalent ruling house in Menzoberranzan, forsook her life in the clergy and instead enrolled in Sorcere, the college for arcane magic users.  What is posted above is something of a guideline for the majority of drow in the city, but isn't a hard and fast rule for all. 

As for how extreme we'll get, well...that's up to you. lol  The drow are, almost by necessity, an extreme peoples.  They plot to murder, torture, and eviscerate their foes, ensuring entirely horrible demises by sword, claw, or even the jaws of some Underdark beast.  Specifically, I would prefer avoiding the majority of squickyness for this game (scat, showers, gore), at least in a sexual sense.  But I also won't tell anyone they can't.  Personally, I'm thinking of some pretty extreme scenes myself, which could include a mating scene with an avatar of Lolth and a high priestess. :)

To those who've submitted profiles, I'll be looking them over shortly.  I just wanted to get a reply up for the questions asked. 

Xanatos

Mating with a Glaberuzu! Hell yeah... (yeah I am sick I know...)

Doomsday

Mr Self Destruct

Well, I guess that could be interpreted from what I was saying, but I was thinking more of an actual spider avatar, a hulking beastie who a Matron invites to her...um...chambers. lol

Xanatos

I actually have never read in the books or heard of spider avatar sex, but in the Drizz't series, there is a scene (not explicit of course) where a priestess summons a Glabrezu to mate with, so that for sure is something they do. I would not put it past them to have sex with an Avatar of Lolth though...

Mr Self Destruct

Opheliac

What kind of game will this be? Is it more of an intrigue style "life in Menzoberanzan" type, where there will be plotting and cavern domination to obtain? Or is it a more erotic style "Days of our lives (In Menzoberanzan)" type game?

Mr Self Destruct

I was thinking a bit of both, actually.  The plotting and scheming that would go on would be a backdrop to a danger that threatens the city itself, either by an outside force or a traitor within the upper echelon of the Council.  The goal of the game would be to root out the danger and eliminate it, all while trying to maintain one's own power and status, and to survive, of course. lol