News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Unemployed and feeling down?

Started by Scaly, September 05, 2015, 07:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokindriver

There are jobs out there so don't give up hope.  Talk to friends and family about looking for a job and go for training or back to school.  We are dying for people that have the skills but can't find them.  There is a bidding war for those that are trained to do the work.  Computers, networking and information security are all growing fields.  One mentioned a wife in the coast guard.  The military will pay you, pay your training and pay for you to take college classes while your in and give you the GI bill when you get out.  Those fields aren't for everyone but there are other fields that also need help. 
“I have seen the best of you, and the worst of you, and I choose both.”
― Sarah Kay

SoldadoM

I can definitely empathize with this topic. I bounced around from one job to another after high school before dropping into construction (met a guy at a church was was hiring of rhis company). Construction was the one field that my father asked me to never go into, and after 8 years doing it, I totally agree with him.

So I got myself some ejamuhcation and then started bugging everone who was hiring for anything related to IT. I got lucky with a small company who's owner enjoyed training new technicians.

After that I have been quite successful at finding new jobs when necessary. I attribute this to my job search behavior.

1. I can do anything with the proper training and some time. I don't lie in an interview, but I will grab any scrap of experience and make it fit into the holes they want filled.
2. Although I'm often shaking physically in and interview, Everything I do is intended to show confidence and calm. It is amazing how people can interpret calmness.
3. Look at the job you are applying for and grab experience from your life that fits the job requirements.
4. Don't agree to everything. People often respond well to being told 'no' occasionally.

Most of all, do the best you can, and don't put too much stock in random advice. Your value is not determined by your job or your bank account.

AndyZ

Just had an interview last week go really well, but the only issue that the guy had with me was that I haven't worked for two years, but it was enough to pass on hiring me.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

consortium11

It may be worth looking into voluntary work in your area; if nothing else it puts something on your CV, gives you some more recent references and helps you get back into the "working lifestyle" (for lack of a better term).

Mikem

I had found a pretty decent place in life unloading freight trucks with a couple good guys a couple nights a week at a Lowe's store. But then I was diagnosed with Cancer, so I lost that job. They did hold it for me, but I ended up quitting because during my treatment I moved farther away from the store and I wasn't going to drive that kind of a commute for 15 hours a week.

So. I have my health again, but jobless. I honestly have no idea where I'm going to do now. I did really enjoy working freight trucks though, it's a great workout and you have your own little corner your whole shift.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs