Fantasy Politics League

Started by Jude, October 05, 2010, 03:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jude

Here's how it's going to work:  I will pick a total of eight people to join the league of varying political philosophies, making for a total of nine players.  Each player will select three issues that he/she wants covered -- it could be a particular senatorial election, house election, Obama's approval rating, or economic data.  For each issue you must specify what it is and what metric will be used to measure its success or failure (you can even go as far as to cite a particular poll done by Gallup for example, utilizing their daily index).

We will then have a draft where each player selects three issues that they're betting will "win" (if it's a senatorial race and you picked a certain candidate you are betting their numbers will go up in the polls, for example).  It's up to you to provide the most current statistics that you can for your issue that fall within a 3 day window of October 5th (today) on the thread along with a source so that we know where your candidate/issue is sitting as we begin (i.e. the first window will be from October 2nd to October 8th, but if data is available for the 5th specifically you must use it).  Please note that if one of the topics introduced is so obscure that data is not available weekly it will be counted as a loss for both the person who drafted it and the person that suggested it as an item to be included (more on this as I consider how best to handle it).

One week later (Oct 12th) we will take another look at the polling data, and anyone who is wrong on more issues than they are right will be eliminated.  One week after that (Oct 19th), we will take a look at the final tally and determine who had the most correct predictions total on both the 12th and the 19th, and that will be our winner.

Everyone but the top 3 players must excuse themselves from politics and religion posting for a month (voluntary, of course, I can't ban you).

If you would like to play, submit a brief description of your political philosophy here, as well as a couple of issues or people you'd select if you're chosen.

Note:  I have not decided how we will handle draft pick order.

HockeyGod

Hmmmm, interesting concept. Since I rarely agree with you on things Jude I'd be interested in joining. One question - should this be a non-adult game rather than politics and religion?

My philosophy:

I find it much more interesting to play a game based on election results and not social or economic issues. For example, if I chose gay marriage, there would be vastly different polling strategies and numbers from Heritage or Focus on Family versus NGLTF or Brookings Institute. Therefore, I choose elections. If you can't tell my political persuasion from my selections then this little game won't work.

My picks would be:

1. Former Senator Mark Dayton (DFL) for Governor of Minnesota
2. Senator Barbara Boxer (D) for Senator of California
3. Senator Harry Reid (D) for Senator of Nevada

My metric will be election results.

Did I do this right?

Jude

That would work, but the problem is there won't be any election results that come out within the next two weeks :|  We couldn't determine winners, though we could go with polls of some sort.  And yeah, if this is in the wrong section... I dunno.

Jude

I'll finalize some of the rules and repost this in a bit -- probably in non-adult games section as requested.  I think I may try to hit the electoral season with it too.  We'll see, thanks for the interest.