Jaeger Rising - A Pacific Rim interest check

Started by Primarch, July 24, 2013, 12:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evangel

I was under the impression the GMs would be dictating the Kaiju and crafting the scenario under which they would attack. It's going to be relatively monster-of-the-week character driven stuff. Maybe an overarching plot.

TheGlyphstone

We already sort of have an overarching plot derived from the setting itself, but my point was more that we're already diluting the traditional 'GM duties' across a wide group of people, many of whom are also players to begin with, that it wouldn't be too much more of a step to just go full-on Gm-less, or collective GMing. Throw down some basic rules like, say, 'the people who get a turn fighting in their Jaeger have to run the Kaiju next fight', and/or 'no drastic changes to the setting without collective approval', etc., then let it loose. The Superheroes game I ostensibly GM (linked in sig) is designed in a similar fashion, where the only thing the GMs really do is approve incoming new PCs to ensure they fit within the setting, and 90% of the remaining scenes, fights, etc. are player-generated.

I'm planning for Athena to have power armor(s) on the scale of Ridley's power loader in Aliens or a Starcraft space marine, as well as a Jaeger-sized project meant to one day be pilotable by a single person without need for the Drift, all using designs sourced from Gundam. Any objections?

TheGlyphstone

The power armor sounds cool. Not sure if I like the other idea though - that's definitely something that they might still be trying to research/develop (despite how it went horribly wrong so much in the past), but even in the height of the Jaeger program, I'd be surprised if they allocated resources to build an entire full-scale Jaeger for drift research, when the same experiments could be conducted without a Jaeger attached.

It's a pet project - one of a kind, entirely unfinished, and built on her own time. It's not meant to be some setting-rocking piece of tech; at worst, it's a Chekov's Gun for way down the line.

TheGlyphstone

Eh, I'm certainly not going to say no...but man, she's rolling in dough if she can finance her own private Jaeger. ;D

Well, I figured the internals would be mostly salvage, with its armor being ornamental at best as it would have to be constantly opened up and redesigned. It's a trait of hers that she dislikes and mistrusts the Drift, and with no "real" Jaegers to spare and sims unsatisfactory, she put one together on her own over time. The power armors went a long way toward making it possible in the first place. You need a big drill for these things. *laughs*

It's not an idea just out of left field, I guess is the point I'm trying to get across. :P

TheGlyphstone

See, now I like the image just because I'm picturing a 'Jaeger' that's actually just a gigantic pile of busted junk with a fully functional cockpit/laboratory on top.

evangel

That's a really badass idea for Jaeger  teams that aren't in service to RP out a Kaiju. Keeps things fresh and gives people things to do.   Also, I'm a bloody idiot for not realizing Primarch already wrote that in the original post for this topic. Anyway, I'm also planning to make LOCCENT NPCs and other base personnel. As for Karma's stuff, I don't really have much objections. Jaegers do get wrecked, and they do get a lot of spare parts for replacement. And with the constant reconstruction/construction, I could see Jaeger technology actually used to create small-scale power armors for the sheer purpose of construction.

On a side note, the new recruitment topic is up.

temptressdragon

Went from page one to page six...but is this still open?
"We do not have Man's gift of tongue or of the imagination.  What is - for dragons - is.  We cannot wish it away.  We cannot make the real unreal, or the unreal real.  I envy Man this gift."
- Grandfather Dragon, from Great-Grandfather Dragon's Tale (Jane Yolen)

EmotionCrave

I'd be down to suit up for this. I even have my own Jaeger to bring to the shatterdome.