Any survivalists/preppers/doomsdayplanners here?

Started by Captain Maltese, January 28, 2016, 09:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

I have always loved zombiemovies and wilderness camping. Two interests that rarely combine well. But over the last few years I have found that it does sort of combine after all, with the survivalism bunch. The zombie element is the gadzooks jinxies factor of course, but there are so many other and more real life scenarios that equally threatens society as we know it. Virus epidemics, nature disasters, large scale human threats like war and terrorism.... making a few preparations isn't necessarily looniebin activities any more.

I'd like to hear if anyone else are making a few discreet preparations, how, and for what.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Mathim

Quote from: Captain Maltese on January 28, 2016, 09:28:58 AM
I have always loved zombiemovies and wilderness camping. Two interests that rarely combine well. But over the last few years I have found that it does sort of combine after all, with the survivalism bunch. The zombie element is the gadzooks jinxies factor of course, but there are so many other and more real life scenarios that equally threatens society as we know it. Virus epidemics, nature disasters, large scale human threats like war and terrorism.... making a few preparations isn't necessarily looniebin activities any more.

I'd like to hear if anyone else are making a few discreet preparations, how, and for what.

Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't. Any world like that isn't worth living in, the way I see it. But I won't knock anyone else prepping for it; though I'd have more respect for anyone making an active effort of trying to prevent or at least postpone it.

Seems to me though that different apocalyptic events would demand different preparations, for example a zombie outbreak would need a shelter that's self-sustaining, fortified and a stockpile of various weapons while other types of doomsday events might be more forgiving.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

HannibalBarca

Not I.  I live in a desert where there's little chance for me to survive, even prepared, if disaster comes.  I don't have the skills of the Native American tribes who lived here long ago, and they themselves barely scratched a living from the Earth.

When the human species hit that bottleneck tens of thousands of years ago, and only some hundred or so humans survived, their environment played a large part in their survival.  I would think that any disaster, however great, would see the same results...whoever happened to be in the right place to reconstitute the species would survive.  Likely, that won't be a choice humans make, it will be a simple roll of the dice by nature.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Mathim

I suppose a submarine, if better equipped but similar to the one in World War Z (the book, not the movie), could be the best hope of survival given that it would be immune to just about any natural disaster (since it's underwater, no tsunami or tidal wave events could affect it.)
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Unless a type of ice age scenario occurred then your screwed when the ocean freezes at least you'll be refrigerated in a nice container.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

HannibalBarca

The human species is approaching another bottleneck.  To get past this one, we're going to either need to learn to terraform this planet back to a sustainable and habitable climate, or create technology allowing us to live off of the Earth permanently.  Both would be the best idea.

Seriously, if there was a planetary disaster of some kind and humanity survived, it would advance more quickly in the technology arena, what with all the leftover material from our civilization...but would it be more advanced socially? I doubt it.  We're as advanced socially as our species has ever been, but still need to do more so as to get to a point where we stop threatening our overall survival.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

CaptainNexus616

I know this is off topic but...

Its kinda funny really, if the countries of the world just stopped trying to kill each other for five minutes. Imagine what can be accomplished in five minutes of every country around the world pooling its resources and intelligence to not developing weapons but other things that humanity needs.

The leaps through technology that could be made, the breakthroughs in science, the help those in need could get, the diseases cured.

However because of the fear the few inflict upon us and the boundaries we put on ourselves we have become greedy, cold, and uncaring. Not one society but many across the world.

The reason why all those sci-fi movies you see never show a specific country going into space but a union formed government between them is because they would have never been able to go past our solar system without each country pitching in as an entire planet.

The reason why we have some apolyacplses scenarios like Mad Max and the Fallout game series was because we could not work together and instead decided killing others was the easier solution.

The reason for this is because of difference.

Whether the difference be; gender, race, religion, or ideals. Many thinks our differences make us superior over another but they do not. Our differences are not meant to make us different but the same.

Our different traits is the challenge put before humanity. When we can learn to cease killing each other for the sake of difference and instead learn how to love each other and keep someone different alive will we be able to truly survive.

A message that has been preached by so many religions and philosophers of loving your neighbor.

But because of those extremists who use religion as their reasoning do people become cynical of any form.

When governments that are established to protect the people only abuse them do they inevitably destroy everything their nation stands for and causes wars out of the sake for their own greed. Making men and women slaughter others who are like them at home but are forced to for the sake of their country's leaders.

So when we hate too much and love too little how do progress forward outside of our own destruction?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Captain Maltese

Hmmm.... seems I am in a minority here when it comes to actual preparations. But I am not wondering IF there will be a disaster any more, it is just a question of when and how to meet it. I might fall but I am damn if I an going to just wait to fall over. I am taking it as a given that whenever something major happen, the govt will be taking their own sweet time reacting adequately to it. Not for lack of funds, just for lack of wisdom in spending the funds on the right resources at the right time. Doesn't really matter which country or political system you live in.The surest place to look for help in any situation is and will always be in your own hands and wits.

Incidentally. This morning I got a text message on on my phone from the local power company. It fit in with the most recent forecast; a 'monster storm' has changed course and will hit my area within hours. The trees are already moving briskly so yeah, it will get here. The message from the power company was that there will probably be brownouts as grid elements fall out, even though all their resources are standing by. Am I worried? No. I have flashlights and a fireplace, which is sufficient for today. If tomorrow should turn out to be a total blackout then I will make coffee and food on a camping stove. No worries.

My basic emergency kit is BOB, aka the bug out bag. It is your standard backpack type, and it literally contain everything I could want in an emergency situation causing me to leave my home in a hurry. Even if I would have to sleep outdoors for a few days. There's food, medical supplies, flashlight and multitoolset, rope, a proper knife, a pan and fire gear to make warm food and drink, a tarp and a blanket and very compact sleeping bag, etc etc, and.... just for laughs.... a machete. You know, to deal with the zombies. Hahaha. What the machete is actually there for is to remind me not to take the whole thing TOO serious. But I enjoy fiddling with this stuff, so why shouldn't I?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

AmberStarfire

I'm not but I've thought about it. I was down at the electronics store one day and they had walkie talkies, and it figured into my thinking that maybe a sports bag of supplies kept in a convenient place wouldn't be a terrible idea. Who knows what the future holds, especially these days?

Captain Maltese

Amber, a sports bag is a great start. Once you have put it aside, it will ready your general awareness at all time, especially when you see stuff that might be useful to put into it. Rather than make a major investment you will be buying the odd extra when you are shopping anyway, like a two dollar key ring flashligth - did you know a blinking flashlight can be seen a mile away? Or a flask of bottled water, or a pack of biscuits - I could go on all day.

I am somewhat reserved when it comes to walkie talkies as I have bad experiences with them. For one thing, the people you want to get in touch with - cop, fire dept etc - are on closed circuit systems and do not listen on the bandwidths commercial walkies work on. Also they will be swamped on any system they CAN be reached on. Then there is the limited reach, the way city buildings choke down signal further and the odds that the piece of electronic still works and have a working battery the one day you need it. It is not all bad though; if you are a family then having a couple of sets is a good thing. Nor are they that expensive, and you are not forced to trust the big relay towers. like with a cellphone. All I know is that on the one day I really needed my set to work, they failed me - and the 60 other guys I was arranging the 3 day event for.

Captain Maltese

Quote from: Mathim on January 28, 2016, 09:57:22 AM
Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't. Any world like that isn't worth living in, the way I see it. But I won't knock anyone else prepping for it; though I'd have more respect for anyone making an active effort of trying to prevent or at least postpone it.

Seems to me though that different apocalyptic events would demand different preparations, for example a zombie outbreak would need a shelter that's self-sustaining, fortified and a stockpile of various weapons while other types of doomsday events might be more forgiving.

Well, preparedness does not have to aim for an apocalyptic scenario. Bad things happen on much smaller levels too. Hurricanes, floodings, big fires and brownouts are potentially lethal events that affects millions of people every year, and that does not include the stuff that happens outside europe and the US. And when one of those events happen, there is often no warning. Most people will just grab a jacket and leave. If you have a bag with some supplies in, you won't be sitting in a crammed school gym hall waiting along with 500 others for 'someone' to bring drinking water, food, blankets or toilet paper.

Yeah the zombie scenario is extreme. But there are others. I have studied the Louisiana flooding with interest. Those with cars got out in time. Those who waited for the evac buses waited in vain. Army helicopters started airlifting those who were caught in flooded buildings, after nine DAYS - but the looting and robbing started immediately. And when they finally did start the airlifting, the first places that got evac were the buildings with white people waving to the choppers. I think studying actual scenarios can teach you a lot.

Sabby

The human race succeeded by opting out of natural selection. We don't wait for the environment to change and then try and stumble after it and hope we survive, we bend the environment over our knee and say "You serve us now". That's the power of a sentient, tool using animal that can conceptualize. Problem is, we're only just now starting to realize the long term impact of that power. Maybe it's going to take a serious event to make us wake up and give our own power the caution and respect it requires. I don't know. I like to wax poetic about the human species, but I'll admit, I'm a creature of comfort, soft and weak and not prepared for great change or upheaval. If there's backlash for us breaking free of our enslavement to random chance, I just hope I'm dead by the time it happens.

Selfish, I know, but no sense lying to myself to feel stronger than I am.

The Dark Raven

Depends on your idea of survivalism. ;)

I will be soon stocking up on things needed to survive the first few months as a new mother with twins, but on a zombiepocalypse scale, I haven't gotten that far yet. ;)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Oniya

Quote from: The Dark Raven on February 08, 2016, 12:48:43 PM
Depends on your idea of survivalism. ;)

I will be soon stocking up on things needed to survive the first few months as a new mother with twins, but on a zombiepocalypse scale, I haven't gotten that far yet. ;)

As a 'new mother with twins', you won't have to worry about zombies.  You'll be one!  (Yes, they will fall asleep... eventually.  Take advantage of it.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Oniya on February 08, 2016, 12:51:21 PM
As a 'new mother with twins', you won't have to worry about zombies.  You'll be one!  (Yes, they will fall asleep... eventually.  Take advantage of it.)

I will certainly try. :)  I just know I need to stock up on things that don't take much to cook and diapers/wipes/etc.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Scott

Quote from: AmberStarfire on January 29, 2016, 03:17:56 PM
I'm not but I've thought about it. I was down at the electronics store one day and they had walkie talkies, and it figured into my thinking that maybe a sports bag of supplies kept in a convenient place wouldn't be a terrible idea. Who knows what the future holds, especially these days?

I think they are called bugout bags.

Ananym

Yes, bug out bags.  The idea is to have enough to survive on for 3 days. Enough water, protein, carbs, shelter, and utilities to live and travel comfortably if needed.

I've never made one but I used to keep something similar to that in my car. 

Mine had:

Utility Knife
Waterproof matches
Flint/Striker
Canned Heat
Extra set of old gym clothes
Small blanket
Old wind breaker jacket (water resilient)
Couple energy bars
Couple bottles of water
Flashlight/Radio (with windup dynamo for self charging)
Small tool kit
First Aid Kit

I think I was always fairly prepared in case I got stuck out in the middle of nowhere.  They say a good thing to pack is something like the SAS Survival Guide.  That stuff was all just in case of accidents or sudden weather changes, plus we used to go off-roading and never know what'll happen.

If you want to seriously prep a bug out bag you'll need a lot more water, a field weapon (like a woodsmen hatchet), and a firearm with rounds.

I take my son and his friends out trail hiking and for kicks we often talk about how to survive the zombie apocalypse.  We come up with all sort of plans.  I think it's fun as a mental exercise.

Serious prepping I could never get into.  On that note, if I lived in a tornado zone though, I'd probably consider a small underground shelter.

Oniya

Quote from: Ananym on February 11, 2016, 05:08:25 PM
I take my son and his friends out trail hiking and for kicks we often talk about how to survive the zombie apocalypse.  We come up with all sort of plans.  I think it's fun as a mental exercise.

Apparently, the CDC thinks so as well.

http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies.htm
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Florence

I play Fallout. I think I'm prepared. I've got the basics. Save all my bottle caps, and I should be set.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Captain Maltese

Ananym is on the ball. That's a lot of useful stuff to keep in the car.

A car accident is pretty high up on my emergency likelyhood list. Especially since I live in a rural area and nearby houses or even hourly traffic isn't a given, never mind in the middle of the night. While I have the normal emergency car stuff like reflecting triangle, basic tools, reflecting vest etc I also have a small sandwich sized box within reach should I ever wake up in my car pinned and in a trench. That box contain folding knife, a small flashlight, a few sweets, matches, some first aid supplies etc. Enough to make it through a few nightmare hours and to signal to passing cars even if the car battery is out.

I have a similar box ready to put in my backpack for any longer walk, and oh yes does it contain a small compass. Once you have found yourself walking blindly through forests and marshes under a heavy cloud cover, little details like that start meaning a lot. Been there done that and boy was it a learning experience.

Lustful Bride

I am a small time prepper. I got it from my dad, soldier, who saw the worst of humanity in hell holes all around. Have ammo, water purification kit and a stock of emergency food and medicine.

I'm not prepping for an alien invasion or zombie outbreak though. I'm preparing for something more like Katrina, if the power goes out for an extended period of time, no government official keeping order, and people losing their shit and try to take what I got. Anything higher than that...I probably wont even survive long enough to have to worry about the world going full on Fallout.

I think that if there was some global catastrophe though we wouldn't go back to the stone age though. I think itd be more likely we went back to the cowboy/Pre industrial revolution age and would have to slowly crawl our way back up to where we are.

Weve survived tons of mass extinction events, this is just another day at the office.

SmokingCamels

Interesting topic for me.  I can get quite long winded about it.  I also have some views that a lot of people might not agree with on this.  I will do my best not to offend anyone's sensibilities.  Please understand that this is my view point.

Survival Kit - yes, I have one.

Salt Tablets
Anti-biotics - you can get the pet store ones for fish tanks without a prescription.  They do the same thing.
Full pack of batteries.  D, C, & Double A.  Extra life.
Flashlight
Roll of Quarters
Case of MREs
2 Bottles of Vitamins - I have the chewable, kids ones.  They do the same thing.
First Aid kit, complete with adrenaline shot, extra gauze, and tape.
Extra socks, the thermal ones.
Crowbar
Hatchet
Wooden matches
Duct Tape
Gerber Tool
King sized, heavy duty garbage bags
Leather jacket
Pack of Bic lighters, Lighter Fluid, and a zippo
Steel Toed boots

When it comes to firearms, it depends on the scenario, buuuuut.  I have a crappy High Point .9mm.  .9mm is the most common pistol ammunition there is.  Though my preference is for my sexy .45.  Also keep a Mossberg 12 guage and a box of shells, a lever action 30-30 and a box of shells too.  My 30-30 has a scope and is sighted in to be dead accurate at 100 yards.  My shotgun has been modified with a side saddle, foregrip, and flashlight that I can turn on and off by squeezing the foregrip trigger.  The first one is Bird shot.  The next four are double odd buck.  The last one is a slug, just for good luck. ;)  I've also got a civilian model AK-47 and an AR-15.  I have enough ammunition for each, but again, it depends on the particular disaster as to which one is used.  Sadly, it will be the AR-15 in most cases.  In truth, I'd probably only bother with it if I was forced to hunker down.

You may be wondering why I don't carry water.  2 reasons.  It's heavy and cumbersome, and it's easy enough to get and purify if you've got half a brain.  You may be wondering why I don't have any blankets or stuff like that.  Again, heavy and cumbersome.  I'm quite capable of starting a fire if need be, and breaking into a place that I can secure if need be.

Now, I am the sort who makes up for being slow by carrying extra bullets.

Let's assume this is a major disaster and collapse of government on a large scale.  (Yay, the South really does win the American Civil War)  Let's also, to avoid potential ethnic, religious, and other social conundrums here by sticking to a Zombie Apocalypse.  At least for now.

Here are the things you need to remember.

1.  Stay mobile.  The last thing you want to do is hunker down.  Walkers, Runners, crazed cannibal fanatics, whatever the type, you need to stay mobile.  If you hunker down, sooner or later you are going to attract attention.  Even something as minor as a baby crying or lighting a fire.  If you're not attracting zombies, you are attracting other survivors.
2.  Zombies are affected by terrain too.  Therefore you need to keep to areas where the terrain is to your advantage.
3.  You need to be able to survive for about a year.  By that point, the zombie's body will decay and deteriorate to the point where decomposition has already killed it for you. 
4.  Live and let die.  Discretion is the better part of valor.  If you get stuck with a woman and kids?  Leave them behind.  If you've got wounded?  Leave them behind.  If something is a hundred yards away from you?  Ignore it and quietly move on.  There's no point in wasting ammunition, exposing yourself, or drawing attention.
5.  Everyone is an enemy until they prove otherwise.  You remain cautious, alert, and aggressive.  You show no mercy and no empathy.  You're trying to survive, not die.

Now, lets assume it's a natural disaster, and/or we blast ourselves back to the stone age.

Most of the above rules still apply.  Though in this type of situation, the barter system becomes available.  At which point, you need to also remember

A.  Money is worthless.
B.  Bullets, Medicine, and Women become currency.  Sorry ladies, but it's true.  You've got something most men on the planet want.  It'll help you get what you want.  I'm not trying to be sexist.
C.  Cigarettes & Booze are also highly sought after commodities.
D.  People are, by their very nature, herd animals.  They will eventually re-establish a community and sooner or later one community will produce something the other wants and the cycle will renew itself.

Now, let's assume it's the worst of all possible scenarios, at least for America.  WAR.

If it's a Civil War, we're absolutely screwed.  However, you'll want to make sure you're stocked up on your bullets for the AR-15.  They now are the most common type of ammo.  If it's a foreign army invading the United States, they are screwed.  There isn't really a chance they can win.  There isn't much of a chance at all.  Even if the most logical choice, an EMP detonation rocks several major cities, it's still virtually impossible to do it without the rest of the country knowing.  It would only be possible to blitzkrieg and disable EVERY major city's source of government.  Even still, the civilian population is too prepared to fight.  Add to it, that in this sort of event, mobilizing the military for counter offensives across the country is one of the few things the surviving government will actually be on point about.  Even the worst case scenario turns out quite a bit like Red Dawn.  Hooray for the Tex/Mex border and the Southeast. 

Some things to remember here are...

1.  Avoid the mountains.  Anyone familiar with what happens in the mountains?  Soldiers can't hit you with red dots.  So red dots turn into red triangles.  Mountains become hills.  Hills become rubble.
2.  Statistically, 1 out of every 3 homes in America has a firearm.  3 out of 5 of them have multiple firearms.
3.  The enemy of my enemy is my friend.  Kind of.  At least until the bullets stop flying at you both.
4.  Celebrities, politicians, and religious zealots are the first to die.  Following them will be the peace keepers, those who are too vocal and paint targets of themselves, sympathizers, and the extremely wealthy.  They have nothing of actual value.  And, as nature intended, survival is for the fittest.  Might does in fact, make right.  You can't talk a bullet into not killing you.  And someone who is trying to kill you wants you to be dumb enough to stand up and try and talk them out of their mission.  Modern media likes to glorify the "art" of diplomacy and tell a story with a happy ending.  The truth is, you get killed, and if you're even remembered, you'll be mocked.  You won't be a martyr, a hero, or anything of the sort.  You'll be just another dead body.  Kinda gloomy, isn't it?
5.  Avoid any source of major transit.  That's one of the easiest ways to get yourself caught and ambushed.
6.  The Bayou is your friend.  Everything there is edible, even if it wants to eat you too.  Heavy armor units can't penetrate it, and the naturally dense cover protects you from being spotted.  The natural heat means you have to worry less about shelter.  And heaven forbids you get a boat... then you head on out to one of the many places in the Caribbean.  Congratulations, you're destined for survival, provided you don't screw it up on your own at this point.

I digress.  I've already said too much, I think.  But I can go on and on and on about this topic.  I also hope nobody is offended by anything I said.  It is not my intention.  :)

AmberStarfire

I think if someone reached a point where surviving required leaving behind women and children (men and children too), and the injured to die, survival would have little to no worth. Some things have to matter in order for the larger picture to matter.

Men also have something women want, so that situation could work both ways, but it would be less likely to.

SmokingCamels

I agree.  I was talking about the survival of small groups, not large communities.  A large community doesn't need a survival kit.  It needs a plantation with a big fence, ways to defend itself, water, and medical facilities.  :)

Mathim

Quote from: AmberStarfire on March 04, 2016, 07:59:03 AM
I think if someone reached a point where surviving required leaving behind women and children (men and children too), and the injured to die, survival would have little to no worth. Some things have to matter in order for the larger picture to matter.

Men also have something women want, so that situation could work both ways, but it would be less likely to.

That's kind of my point, there are way too many things that can be taken away that would make life not worth living, let alone giving up on our most deeply held moral beliefs.