Mecha vs Monsters (FATE/DnD 5e)

Started by ShadowFox89, July 07, 2016, 02:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Background

In 2020, a comet passed above Earth, a near miss with a celestial object. The comet, however, left shockwaves through the aether around Earth. The barrier separating Earth from the other realms of existence was torn, From these tears, monsters from beyond the veil came through. These were not the small, human sized beings of most fairytales and lores. Rather, giants of every shape, floating monstrosities the size of skyscrapers, and beasts of the sea large enough to swallow ships whole came through. A long, bloody war was fought, with humanity on the losing end. Finally, only after the magi of humanity made themselves known to the public and worked with what remained of the governments, were these monsters driven back and the tears in reality sealed.

However, even twenty years later, not every tear was repaired. Many of the magi sacrificed their lives and power to repair the barrier, leaving Earth weak to future incursion. In their stead, massive mechanized armors, powered by aetheric generators were designed and built. Each customized to their wearer, they were intended as humanity's last, and greatest, hope. It is now thirty years later and a comet approaches once again....

Character Creation

Character Creation is broken down into two parts- 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons, and FATE Accelerated.

DnD 5e Character Creation

• 3rd Level
  • 28 point buy
  • Any race is fine except for variant human
  • Max hitpoints at first level, take average after
  • Unearth Arcana is allowed, I don't have the Waterdeep book but it's mostly backgrounds, homebrew on a case by case basis
  • Starting equipment is as listed in the class's starting gear section

FATE Character Creation

Honestly, nothing much is needed here. Characters should have a high concept aspect and can have up to four more aspects after that (one of them should probably be Mecha Pilot). FATE is a fairly loose system and mechanics won't be used a lot from it. Otherwise, follow the core PDF for an idea on what to play.

Before going into any mechanics though, just give me a basic character summary

[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Race[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]:
[b]Gender[/b]:
[b]History[/b]:
[b]Physical Description[/b]:
[b]Ons/Offs[/b]:

And one final note, the game will be in the Extreme section. There will be a gamut of things, from monsters using tentacles to crack open the pilot's cockpit to get at the tasty source of magical energy within to emissaries from across the veil seeking to form an alliance with Earth.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ShadowFox89

FAQ

• Is this only human?
    You can play a being that slipped through
    • How long have mecha existed?
    Mecha have been around for only about five or so years, and have yet to truly be battle tested against a large scale force. There have been minor skirmishes and battles, but nothing that really tests the limits of the battleframe.
    [/list]
    Call me Shadow
    My A/A

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Inerrant Lust

Posting my interest.

Still thinking about a character... but I'm feeling someone cute underneath the mecha. As for the mechanics.. maybe a Barbarian?

Still not sure.

ShadowFox89

Some setting building!

Mecha

The mecha, known as Battle Frames (BF), are sixty meter tall monstrosities of metal and magic. What lies underneath the mechanical bodies is a closely guarded secret. Only Magi Council, as weakened as it is, knows just what lay beneath. The mecha are armored in steel that has been inscribed with arcane runes to strength and fortify the metal. Within the BF, the pilot's chamber is a hollow sphere, with a pilot's seat and control console sitting in the middle. When the BF is activated, the chamber surrounds itself with images from around the frame, a powerful anti-gravity spell lifting the pilots afloat. In order to allow better control over the frames, pilots are required to wear skinsuits inscribed with runes that link pilot and machine at a physical level. While the skinsuits are barely better than being naked, they still provide a fair bit of armor.
    Call me Shadow
    My A/A

TheFourthShade

My idea is an adopted child of a rich family who dreams of being a singer, but ultimately ends up being drawn into this mecha nonsense one way or another.

Bard, Human.

What could go wrong?

Need more time to think about this, though.

DomJoe

Welp, this definitely hits all of my interest points. Just a quick question though... which sheet is which? I assume one of them is the mecha and one of them is the pilot, given how you've written this so far.

ShadowFox89

DnD is going to be used for the mechs, FATE for pilots. We don't really need much combat for the pilots or much mechanics at all.
    Call me Shadow
    My A/A

DomJoe

This brings up more questions... how do backgrounds figure into the mechs? Are they just good for extra skills and that's it? What about the social skills, or even most of the mental skills for that matter? What about class archetypes that have features that rely on said mental checks?

Premier

Posting interest! Going to go with either a Wizard or Sorcerer whose spells manifest through equipment. Mainly guns, big guns.

TheFourthShade

Seems legitimate to me.  When in doubt, a rotating cannon that shoots lightning is always nice.

Premier

And just saving a char pic for the future!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Inerrant Lust

Name: Kim So-ra
    Race: Human
    History: Sora was found at an early age to be a natural conduit for magical energy and a perfect fit for the new battle frame technology. Outside of a Battle Frame, she's no different than any other young woman. Within, however, she is capable of projecting such power that many earlier prototypes were unable to properly sync with her until Daji-01 withstood the resultant aetheric surge. With the proper synchronization, Sora can release a huge burst of energy, strengthening the Battle Frame and enhancing its combat capabilities. As a result, she's spent most of her adult life in Magi facilities, preparing for the upcoming war.
    Physical Description: Short black hair, petite body type, reddish-brown eyes
    Ons/Offs: Sora is a thrill-seeker and an adrenaline-junkie and her... peculiar upbringing has left her without many inhibitions. Her 'caretakers' within the Magi saw fit to keep her as happy as possible, even setting her up with dates to maintain her cooperation while they conducted their experiments and had her train with Daji-01. As a result, she is quite sexually liberated... her supervisors have had no trouble supplying her with man after man as she desired, yet she never suspected that it was all just orchestrated for her benefit.

Battle Frame: Daji-01
    Barbarian 3
    Skills: Athletics, Perception
    Proficiency Bonus: +2
    Rages: 3, Rage Damage: +2

HP: 35
    AC: 18

16 Str
    16 Dex
    16 Con
    9 Int
    9 Wis
    10 Cha

Abilities:
    Rage, Unarmored Defense, Reckless Attack, Danger Sense,
    Path of the Berserker: Frenzy

Items:
    Shield (Projected Barrier)
    Two Handaxes (Elbow-mounted extending saws)
    Four Javelins (Drone bits)

Latooni Subota

Hrm. One monk coming up! Details to be added as I finish them.
    The (wo)Man
    The Machine
    ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Premier

Name: Sara Müller
    High Concept: Dragon Blood in her veins.
    Trouble:  Draconic Daddy Issues
    Aspects: "It could be more on fire", Don't touch her stuff, Magic's the only high I need.
    History: In the new magical world love will find a way and things never seen before can come to be. Sara puts all that more simply with "My mother fucked a dragon and so here I am". She avoids going into the details, it is her mom after all.

Draconic blood does come with advantages though and she has their magic running through her veins, Sara's mech amplifies her spell slinging to a more appropriately impressive scale, focused through a selection of custom weaponry. It's got enough that she could maybe even take on her father, not that he's all that bad really when he bothers to turn up for her birthday. As mechs go it only really works for those with dragonblood and there's not a lot of them going around right now. Give the dragons some time, they're working on it.

Sara is obsessive about both magic and firepower and little else holds her interest for long, she's spends a lot of her time training and just wants to get in the mech and feel the rush of laying out waves of destruction. For her that's a good day. What else could really compare?

Physical Description: Short white hair with bright blue eyes. , average height and very athletic.

Ons/Offs: Pretty straight forward about what she wants, Sara finds magic just as much fun as sex so it's a very casual thing to do with people she likes being around when there isn't anything better going on. Personality, Looks and even their Sex don't seem to really come into it, she'd just as happily fuck someone she hates than likes, just because your personalities clash doesn't mean you can't enjoy each others company in other ways right?

She hasn't fallen in love with anyone yet and god help the person if she does, just like her Father she's pretty possessive of what she considers hers.

Battle Frame: Sidonia
    Sorceress 3

Premier

Will finish it tomorrow. Click on the mech name for the sheet! Night!

ShadowFox89

Quote from: DomJoe on July 09, 2016, 05:09:27 PM
    This brings up more questions... how do backgrounds figure into the mechs? Are they just good for extra skills and that's it? What about the social skills, or even most of the mental skills for that matter? What about class archetypes that have features that rely on said mental checks?

Mostly good for extra skills, yeah. Mental skills you can take representing the mech's onboard databanks, about the only thing that won't be used is Persuasion. And even then, I'm sure I can find a way to work that in to the game somehow.

And to help get everyone pumped...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EEtGLLDhNY
    Call me Shadow
    My A/A

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
    My A/A

TheFourthShade

DnD Sheet isn't finished (or even started), but at least you have a prototype for my thinking there.

-------------

Name: Melanie Bishop

Physical Description:  Blonde, short, and lithe, Melanie is a little on the pale side.  She dresses rather fashionably (albeit somewhat plainly), preferring pants, t-shirts, and running shoes despite having some of the best brands available on.  Her face is clean and unblemished, and her hair is long and well styled.  Sometimes, her green eyes stare right through whatever she's looking at.

Ons/Offs:  Submissive.  Has not experimented sexually as much as a healthy young adult would.

History:  Melanie doesn't know her birth parents, and doesn't know where she was born.  She does remember and tries to forget her half-remembered childhood. She dreams of fighting for meals and wakes up screaming.  The only things she remembers clearly are how singing was an escape and how happy she was to be 'adopted'.  She does not remember her time in the AW-003.
    Her current parents (The DeRosa Family) are loving and well to do, albeit loyal to the organization that (she doesn't realize) put her through that hell in her childhood.  She has been tutored to make up for her relative lack of education, but she's not really catching up.  Singing, however, is one subject she is aces in (It also made her her few friends).  She has sings contralto and is something of a local star (admittedly she hasn't hit her big break yet).  Little does she know that she'll be a heroine in more ways than one before this over, if she isn't killed...

-------------------

High Concept: Contralto Singing Future Diva
    Trouble: The Nightmares Never End
    Aspect: Uncannily Familiar with Weapons
    Aspect: Book Dumb with a Gold Charge Card
    Aspect: Swift and Nervous as a Rabbit

Mecha Name:  AW-003
    Codename: Mother Siren
    History: Siren was a state of the art design at its conception, but that was as one of the first 'test type' units to be considered field worthy. By the standards then, she was a beautiful machine that could outperform every other unit in terms of speed and grace.  She's ancient history in terms of design by now (though she's only five years old), but a few modern refits have been enough to be 'certified' for the battlefield.

She was recently refitted with a magi-electronic warfare suite, as well as given a new green and gold paint job.  Fitted with gear to 'watch over' other units in the field, she was renamed 'Mother Siren' to give the impression that it was a different unit entirely.

Description: Mother Siren is a green and gold beauty, tall as Battle Frames come but rather light.  Her armor is thin, relying more on angular protection than size of plates.  Her armament consists of a drill tipped rapier that was pushed through R and D by an enthusiastic mecha fan with perhaps too much pull and a more plainly designed stiletto dagger, both designed to pierce through weak spots in armor rather than power through.

Her light armament and construction are primarily focused on taking advantage of her speed that, while far less impressive by modern standards than they were at the prototyping stage, still allow her to cut a swifter pace than most on the battlefield.

Terian

Might be interested in trying this, I'll have to figure something out.

Relikai

Getting a character up! Can he be one who joins the Magi after a monstrosity attacked his home?

Relikai

Name: Takahashi Yuya

History: Takahashi Yuya was born a genius, and currently a pilot of a battlesuit after witnessing the devastation wrought upon earth by these monstrosities. He had a good education, a gifted child and ace of the school soccer team, when a Tear appeared and slaughtered his class, Yuya surviving only because he was on a tryst with the leader of the girl's volleyball team. Unfortunately, the girl he was with was killed in the same attack, dying in his arms as blood spilled from the wound in her stomach. Yuya's thirst for revenge had him volunteering with those who fought against the monsters, the man joining up at the age of 21, eager to prove his worth in battle.

Physical Description: Standing at 175cm, Short silver hair, Lean and muscled especially around the torso.

Ons/Offs: Offs - Scat, Toilet Stuff, Excessive Violence and Pain

Mecha - Yukikaze

ShadowFox89

Alright, keeping the ball rolling, I'll get a FATE character sheet up soon.
    Call me Shadow
    My A/A

Revelation

jeflint

I'm with Changingsaint, if this is recruiting I'm interested. :)

Glitter Girl Armor

Sniper class prefered. ;)

Jan's General Info, The F-List , On’s & Offs, absenteeism & BB Color Codes