News:

Main Menu

Am I weird?

Started by Thesunmaid, March 17, 2015, 11:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thesunmaid

I was wondering something recently. Because I was told that I am apparently "Straight edge."Which kind of makes me laugh if anyone has read the rp's I have or listened to me when I am in a bad mood.I swear like a longshoreman at times.But basically I was told this by someone because I don't drink at all. I am 35 and have never been drunk. I don't like the taste of alcohol and quite frankly the idea of a hang over is none too appealing to me. Its also expensive. For the amount I pay for mixed drink in a bar I could be at home and buy myself something that will not mildly poison me and cause me to feel like shit the next day. I have been told by people that I should join the grownups and drink like everyone else does. I also constantly get people wanting me to "just try one drink." Or I have people looking at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them no thank you..I don't drink.

Also I do not smoke..have never tried smoking peer pressure be damned..It smells gross and I have asthma..If I smoked I would be sucking on my inhaler and then alternately my smoke.Also..I have found in the winter..when someone goes outside to have a smoke and they come back in..they smell like an ashtray. Its not nearly as bad as warmer weather but really cold weather seems to make the smell stick to thier clothes.No Idea why..

I also have never been stoned purposely. By this I mean I have never smoked weed purposely.(or done any other non prescription drug besides cold meds and allergy pills as well as painkillers that you buy anywhere) I went to sleep exhausted after helping someone move into a new place all day in a room which apparently my boyfriend at the time and his friend thought it would be hilarious to hotbox the room, For those of you who do not know what this is..you turn up the heat in a room and smoke up and it is supposed to make the high..better? I woke up feeling dizzy and nauseous barely able to see through the haze of smoke and barely able to breath.I stumbled my way to the bathroom and threw up and then laid on the bathroom floor unable to move for a few hours because the idea of moving would make me feel like throwing up again.

I think that the marijuana and cigarette reasons are good ones..but apparently people still think I should drink. Because that's what big boys and girls do. I was just wondering am I really that strange for choosing not to drink? I don't care if other people drink..although if they do so to excess repeatedly and often I will refuse to take care of them. But the way I see it..its your body you put what ever you want into it if you are an adult. Just don't do it around me or expect me to feel sorry for what you literally did to yourself when you wake up feeling horrible the next day. But some people say that I am strange because I don't want to apparently do these supposedly fun things. They just are not fun to me..but that makes me..straight edge?

I was just wondering is there anyone else out there like me and thinks its normal to not do any of these things?
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Flower

At the end of the day, it is your choice.  Drinking alcohol does not make someone an adult. Making responsible decisions does. So no, you're not abnormal in the slightest.  You just have a preference and people need to respect it.

CaptainNexus616

Your not weird. Your a responsible person with a good set of morals. People think when you either drink or have sex it makes you an 'adult'. Making good choices and being responsible is what seperates the children from the adults.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Deamonbane

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 17, 2015, 12:55:15 PM
Your not weird. Your a responsible person with a good set of morals. People think when you either drink or have sex it makes you an 'adult'. Making good choices and being responsible is what seperates the children from the adults.
The terrifying thing is that responsible adults with a good set of morals is an oddity these days...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

MasterMischief

I have never done illegal drugs, I have never smoked a cigarette and I can probably count the number of alcoholic beverages I've consumed on two hands (if I had hands).  I may be weird, but I see no reason to indulge in any of these things when they have no appeal to me.

Galactic Druid

I have the occasional drink because I like the taste of certain things (a really crisp white wine, in my opinion, just does wonders with any kind of cream sauce dish, especially pasta, for example), but I've never been interested in 'getting wasted'. I just don't see the appeal, especially when half the people I've seen do it make absolutely horrible decisions they claim not to regret.

Anyway, I wouldn't say you're weird, just mature.

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 17, 2015, 12:55:15 PM
People think when you either drink or have sex it makes you an 'adult'.

It's even worse with media, especially games. So many people seem to think being an adult means only liking R and M rated titles. I hear way more kids talking about how 'badass' something like the latest Grand Theft Auto is, but I really couldn't stand half the sociopathic characters in that game (especially Trevor) long enough to even begin to enjoy it.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Oniya

First off, being 'Straight Edge' isn't really an insult.  It specifically refers to someone who chooses not to use tobacco, alcohol and other recreational drugs.  Some extend this to not engaging in promiscuous sex, and/or choosing a vegan/vegetarian diet.  As for what to tell people when they 'criticize' your choice not to drink, you can always say something like:

'You know all those embarrassing pictures of drunk people on the Internet?  Someone has to be sober enough to upload them.  >:) '
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sparhawk

To each his/her own, right? Who's to say what's weird or normal...

Inkidu

If you're weird, Sunny, I'm weird. So we can be weird together. *Weird dance!*
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Astre

I'm similar to you. I don't particularly like the taste of alcohol, yes it's kind of bearable when mixed with fruit juice but in my opinion it spoils the taste of fruit juice. So I generally don't bother and have never actually been drunk.

After having this unceasing sobriety as my cross to bear through university and now adulthood I've found the best way to tell people is that I'm not making a moral judgement on drinking I just simply don't enjoy the taste. From an anthropological standpoint, drinking is central to bonding and creation of social ties in many, many cultures and usually those who abstain are making some judgement on those who do drink (or they're recovering alcoholics) and it can make people feel defensive. I try to be forgiving of that reaction to a certain extent.

The best reaction I've ever got was recently, from a German guy at hostel I was staying in. He looked at me with concern and gently asked if I'd had some sort of trauma with alcohol, possibly in my childhood. It was just so inconceivable to him and he took a lot of convincing.

DeviantGhost

The difference between 'weird' and 'exceptional' is sometimes a matter of pure semantics. Having the willpower to make and stick with healthy choices is 'exceptional' in my book.
My thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=214981.0

We do not write because we want to; we write because we have to. - Somerset Maugham

Mathim

Your experience is a virtual mirror of my own (minus the friends forcing me into an experience where I was made to get high) as I also dislike alcohol and freely admit this. Hell, I'd rather have a glass of chocolate milk than an alcopop or wine cooler.

I have been drunk before (once, alone at home, just to see what it felt like) and it was awful. Do not let anyone pressure you into drinking. You are not alone, I promise you. Frankly I didn't even drink until I was 21 and legally permitted to purchase the stuff, and since then I've averaged about one drink per year (I'm 30 right now) so you can see how little that occurs. And yes, the expense is batshit crazy, even if you're purchasing it from anywhere other than a bar.

People will look at you strangely. What I always tell them is, "You know, I've just never felt like torturing myself by drinking enough of something that tastes like skunk piss to get used to it. I guess I respected myself more than that."

You might be 'weird' by the standards of cultural social mores, but at least you're not immature or downright stupid which is more than you can say for the ones who are absolutely moronic about drinking and other vices.

Oh, and just for fun, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF1E5ZO8Lug

Aren't you glad you haven't fallen for this?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Thorne

I must hang with a strange crowd. I've never been pressured to drink more than my limit (I don't like beer, but mead is acceptable), or looked at oddly if I order something virgin. Maybe the assumption is I'm driving, I'unno.
I do cook with alcohol, but most of the actual alcohol burns off in cooking, leaving whatever flavor it has. ^.~

You're /not/ weird. I question that your friends have enough sense between them to fill a bucket, but you aren't weird, Sunmaid.
You're completely allowed to drink, or not drink, /as you prefer/. Your body, your choice.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Oniya

Thorne reminded me of something - if you drive, you could always use this as an unbreakable reason why you aren't drinking when your friends are:  Tell them that you'll be the Designated Driver if they each give you a couple bucks for gas.  In a lot of places, the DD can get at least one free non-alcoholic beverage as well.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Remiel

You know, I had to work up a tolerance for both beer and wine.  Both tasted absolutely disgusting to me when I first tried them.  Now, a cool beer on a hot day can be quite refreshing, and a glass of wine can perfectly complement a good steak.

That said, no, being a teetotaler doesn't make you weird.   Getting drunk just for the purpose of being drunk is, in my opinion, quite overrated.   I suppose people do it (or get high) for the excitement of feeling out of control, of feeling impaired in some way.   Yes, being "knackered"--as the kids say--can be fun.  But there are plenty of other ways to have fun, too. 

You are in charge of what you put in your body, and no one else.   If it makes you sick, or if the effects of being drunk or high scare you to the point that they're simply not worth it, that is a perfectly legitimate opinion.  It doesn't make you a stick in the mud.   Unfortunately, some times it can be tough to stand up to peer pressure.   :-\

Eranil Morathim

I used to be quite the heavy drinker, I've slowed down a lot though as I've gotten older. Whenever I was with friends who didn't drink though, I never tried to pressure them into it. That, to me is just disrespectful, it's as much you choice and right not to drink or smoke as it is mine to do both. In no way does it make you weird.

Dimir

I more so enjoy wine than beer but I've never drank and driven, nor have I ever smoked cigarettes or used illegal narcotics since I have no need to.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Sho

What's weird isn't you...it's the fact that your friends are pressuring you into drinking. Frankly, having a sober person (hellooooo DD!) is one of the best things you can have with you when out drinking!

Thesunmaid

I suppose alcohol can be fun..smirks Mostly because I am the asshole who will have fun with drunk people.

I actually had people ask me if I had some alcohol related trauma and one guy would not let it go so finally I looked at him took his hand and said (somehow) with a serious straight face "Yes...A sentient bottle of bourbon killed my parents...I still stalk back alleys to find him and shed a tear when I see someone drinking an old fashioned.."He stared at me for a moment and then stomped off while I and the two friends sitting with me cracked up.

I am not a good person to ask to take care of someone when they are drunk..I will make shit up the next day about what they did while drunk. We had a friend of mine who would black out like every weekend and he was a pretty obnoxious drunk..we waited till he woke up and then proceeded to introduce him to a friend of mine who was Asian..who we told him he asked her to marry him and she went along with it. He went pale and ran to his room and she took it a bit farther banging on the door yelling."You come now! You marry! I get green card!...it was right around when we were all falling over laughing including the Asian friend who has never been outside of Canada by the way started to crack up too that he realized we were not serious. Although this did scare him into rethinking drinking to excess all the time. So one advantage to it.

But thank you all for making me feel a bit less weird...I am still weird..just not for abstaining from alcohol. *grins*
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking