Isle of the Damned - Pirates! Mercenaries! Slaves! - Always Recruiting!

Started by GnothiSeauton, December 14, 2014, 05:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurvyKitten

Just waiting for a few people to get back to me since I've worked out stuff in my BG with them. But for the most part my characters are done, I'll send them in as soon as I hear back from the others :)

Batman4560

Black Howling

Bibliophilia

I'm considering getting rid of Sindri.  I am really not certain how to get him involved in the game.  -ponders.-  I could make up a different character in his place, though.  Maybe one that has been designed for something in particular.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: CurvyKitten on February 01, 2015, 10:03:57 PM
Just waiting for a few people to get back to me since I've worked out stuff in my BG with them. But for the most part my characters are done, I'll send them in as soon as I hear back from the others :)

Excellent!  No rush at all!

Quote from: Batman4560 on February 01, 2015, 10:27:26 PM
I'm considering making up a second character. Is that allowed?

Quote from: Black Howling on February 01, 2015, 10:28:56 PM
Yes, you can make up to four characters.

What Howling said.

You're allowed up to four Active characters.  More than that requires the removal/deactivation of at least one character.

Quote from: Bibliophilia on February 01, 2015, 10:58:38 PM
I'm considering getting rid of Sindri.  I am really not certain how to get him involved in the game.  -ponders.-  I could make up a different character in his place, though.  Maybe one that has been designed for something in particular.

Totally up to you!  I'd be more than happy to help out if you still want to keep him around.  You still have two more character slots left, so you're more than free to keep him in and make another.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

GM Announcement

Closing and Opening of Dates, or Keeping the Crazy Train Rolling!

Hey everyone!

Been a while since the last GM Announcement (not sure if that's a good thing or not), and now it's time for a new one!

Starting on Sunday, February 15th, at 12:01 a.m. est, we will be moving ahead with the IC dates.  At that time, the 1st will no longer be active, and the 4th and 5th of the IC dates will be open.  This means that the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, will all be open.  Two new days to explore and...

A new event launching that will inevitably lead to the third event (which I'm really, really, excited for with all of the action).

What does this mean for characters with scenes taking place on the 1st, or characters that have scenes planned for the 1st?

The 1st will still be open for writing, BUT we ask that you take your scenes over to the History and Past section.  For example, Howling and I have a scene going on on the first with two characters.  When the deadline comes on the 15th, it will be continued over in the History and Past section instead of the Village and Harbor thread.  If, say, I wanted to do another scene on the first, and it's past the deadline, I'd go over and put it in the History and Past thread.  You can still write scenes and such for the first!  It's just requested that on the fifteenth of February, it gets moved over into the History and Past section.

Why are we doing this?  Just to keep things moving and get some stuff going. 

Any questions or concerns can be directed to both myself and Black Howling.

Thanks for reading!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

GM Events

The above link is a link to a thread in the OOC that directs people to the current and past GM events, to make it easy for people interested in joining to get caught up on what's happening and taking place on and around the island.

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

And the Second Major GM Event is rolling!

Still plenty of time to join if you're interested!

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

We're still recruiting if anyone is interested! 

We don't plan on stopping recruitment anytime soon!  It's pretty easy to jump right on in, and we have a great collection of writers who are always more than willing to help out fresh faces!

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

Still recruiting, and still plenty of time to jump on in before the next event starts!

Going to be epic!

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

Tired of a life of slavery?  Unwilling to bow before Man and Woman alike?  Come aboard The Raven.

This is a crew comprised mostly of former slaves and those who wish to seek a life free from oppression and suppression, a great deal of whom are women.  Originally a slave ship, a slave revolt, led by Lora Langstor overcame the brutal slavers and turned the ship into their own kingdom upon the seas.  Largely targeting slave ships and merchants, the Raven has a bit of a reputation as being known as liberators.  Hardly ever do they turn away those wishing employ or passage.

Currently seeking any and all crew.  Feel free to hit me up if you'd like to plot out a character together!  While this is a ship that is nearly all women, there is some space available for male crew members. 

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

And a new character...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
~ ~ ~  Cabyria  ~ ~ ~

Writer Name:  GnothiSeauton

Character Name:  Cabyria. 

Alias / Nickname:  The Lady of Bears.

Face Claim:  Ronda Roussey

Blood Status:  Nonmagical

Sellsword/Mercenary Company Name, Vessel Name, OR Country of Exile:  N/A

Country/Kingdom of Birth:  Tyr

Physical Description:  Among her peers, Cabyria woman of considerable height at five foot ten.  Her harsh beauty is often obscured by blood, sweat, and blood from her days at work being a slave.  She does clean up well, however, when her Master desires her for pleasure.  Long dark blonde hair hangs down to the middle of her back, with cold eyes that have been known to be the last thing a great many have seen in the heat of battle.  Years of experience as a slave and fighter have left her body covered in various scars and nicks from battle, along with the lash marks upon her back.  The back of her left shoulder holds various marks and brands of her former masters and owners.

Personality:  Years of servitude under various Masters and Madams have hardened Cabyria into one of the more tough and demanding slaves on the Island.  It has often been said that she is a Master Among Slaves, a harsh and demanding slave who calls for nothing short of the best from her fellows in bondage.  To other slaves, she is brutal, pushing and bullying the others with the alpha-type personality to exert her dominance upon them.  Yet...  Though she is harsh to her fellow slaves, earning more fear than friends, to her Masters, she is nothing but a loyal and devoted slave. 

Slavery is something she yearns for in her heart.  It is not submissiveness.  Rather, it is the simplicity of life and the ease of it, which has drawn her into her slavery.  As a Slave, she is something.  She has a purpose and value.  She has power over others,and is not afraid to use it.  If she were free, Cabyria knows it would not be the same.  She would be a woman, a woman devalued and looked down upon.  Slavery has given her a life and purpose that she would not be able to find in her freedom.

Profession:  Slave.  Pit Fighter.

History:  Born into slavery as a baby, slavery has been all Cabyria has known.

As a newborn, she and her mother were sold into slavery from the Tyrian coasts.  It was on the way to Effugios to be sold that her mother passed, leaving her to be raised by a multitude of various older slave women.  She was born and raised as a house slave on the island, until the time came for her to be pressed into the fields.  She never once complained.  That was how life was in her eyes.

When her former Master was in debt, she was sold to another Master, one who trained slaves for fighting.  She learned how to fight, using a variety of weapons and weaponry, earning the respect and fear of others in the pits.  She was told to fight, and the dedicated and loyal slave fought.  Fought as hard as she could, no matter the stakes, and showed no mercy.  When, in a fight with another slave, she killed her opponent in a fight that was supposed to be nothing more than training.  As a result, and to pay the debt she had caused, she was given to a new master:  The man known as Korik.

Her brutality and savagery in the Pits and in the Fields, were rewarded and praised.  It was at the hands of the former great fighter of the pits that she learned from him, learned how to be a better fighter, and better slave.  She was given fights, larger fights, better fights, fights a warrior like her could only dream about.

It was in another supposed fight when she was lost to another Master, this time when Korik could not arrive at the contest, and forfitted the match.  As a result, she was transferred into the hands of the older, weaker Master...  A master who, for the few years since, has wasted her talents.  She competes in small matches, when she is allowed to fight at all, for she often makes mincemeat of the inferior slaves.  The Master fears losing her, and the investment she is.  She is now a worker in the fields of the plantation, an overseer and yearning to once again be made into the proper warrior she was made to be.

Religion:  She belongs to no religion.

Weapons:  As a slave, Cabyria carries no weapons.  However, in the pits, she makes use of whatever she is given.  Her weapon of choice is a sword.

Sexuality:  Though she is heterosexual, she will partake in lesbian and bisexual activities, when commanded and when to exert her dominance.

On's and Off's:  Link in Signature.

She's a female slave and prized fighter who is looking to have a submissive male slave of her own.  Not looking for an equal in terms of strength and size.  I'd prefer a character who is a little smaller, a little weaker, and fearfully submissive of her.

Seeking New Stories

A Painter

I've always loved pirates and gypsies. Would be interested in making a magic born character with roots to asian magic, probably something that gives her an affinity (or at least a ward) when it comes to creatures.

Not sure how to jump in to the story yet.  The large cast is actually pretty intimidating, and I wouldn't know where to start.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: A Painter on May 27, 2015, 05:28:48 AM
I've always loved pirates and gypsies. Would be interested in making a magic born character with roots to asian magic, probably something that gives her an affinity (or at least a ward) when it comes to creatures.

Not sure how to jump in to the story yet.  The large cast is actually pretty intimidating, and I wouldn't know where to start.

That could be interesting!  If you need any help, just feel free to ask.

A few things to keep in mind though, with regards to magic...

1.  Magic is dying, or near dead, in the world.  Abilities must be fairly weak, with a negative thing towards them working (i.e. a major amount of concentration, intense physical pain from the user, etc).
2.  Our world inspired magic is allowed, but keep in mind that this is a completely different world, completely separate from our world.

Seeking New Stories

Zillah

Same. I'm incredibly intrigued by this RP; I just don't know what sort of character I could make that would be a good fit for what's going on.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Zillah on May 27, 2015, 12:10:22 PM
Same. I'm incredibly intrigued by this RP; I just don't know what sort of character I could make that would be a good fit for what's going on.

Hey Zillah :)

It's not too hard to start.  It definitely seems like it would, given the amount of characters involved, the number of posts (close to seven hundred at last check) and everything else.

It is set on an island that is a distance away from other land masses.  The events on the island wouldn't be known exactly to new people who haven't been on the island in a few weeks.

There have been two events that have taken place on the island.  One, the first, was the hanging of a military official from Malum who was plotting to overthrow the Island.  The other event involves the disappearance of a young woman, and the search for her in the jungle.  There is a second part to that event, but it's being held while people get caught up and get stuff done. 

There will be another event taking place soon, an optional event that is going to be a bit of a large tournament/fighting pit thing.  I am hoping to get most people involved with that, coming to the event to watch the fights and such, and that could be a way to get characters introduced and involved.

And on top of that, everyone in the group is amazing.  We're all really willing and happy to help with anyone looking to get involved.  I've got two tons of characters, and am always happy to help start scenes.

Seeking New Stories

Zillah

Hi Gnothi,

Thanks. :) I'll dig through the threads later tonight.

Any suggestions as to what sorts of characters might be needed, or is it all pretty open at this point?

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Zillah on May 27, 2015, 05:36:32 PM
Hi Gnothi,

Thanks. :) I'll dig through the threads later tonight.

Any suggestions as to what sorts of characters might be needed, or is it all pretty open at this point?

It is all pretty open, I have to admit.  There isn't, in my opinion, a strong need for anything in particular.  Honestly, just some writers and fresh blood is what's really needed.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=213235.msg10476956#msg10476956

That link above is a link to the current Directory of Characters.  I went through in the last few days and marked sheets and writers who were not active, or heard from regarding the group, in the last two months.  It should give an idea of what all is around in the story.

Seeking New Stories

Haloriel

-pokes in- Okay so.  I'm interested in this game, but nervous as hell because I adore the premise.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Haloriel on May 28, 2015, 01:44:14 PM
-pokes in- Okay so.  I'm interested in this game, but nervous as hell because I adore the premise.

We don't bite!  (Well, some of us don't, and those that do are Fannibals).

It's really, really easy to just jump on in.

There is a new event, an optional one, starting up within the next week or two that is aimed at being a springboard for new people and people trying to get more interactions.  It's going to be a Gladiator-style fighting event where everyone is free to watch or participate.  The goal is to get a bunch of characters there and get people going with each other.

And like I've said, we're all pretty easy going and eager to help new faces get involved and get adjusted.

Seeking New Stories

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

GnothiSeauton

Logo Courtesy of Consortium11

THE FIGHTING PITS HAVE OPENED

https://youtu.be/icAtYGm96s4
Trailer courtesy of Consortium11

GM EVENT

A Rumble in the Jungle, Part Two:  Fight Night

Who:  Open to all on land.  Optional.
What:  The Opening of the New Fighting Pits, featuring various fights and matches.
Where:  Throughout the Island, but focused within the Jungle.
When:  Day of the Sixth

Rules

The new fighting pits of Effugios have been  opened.  Various matches and fights between interested combatants will be arranged and fought until a victor of men, women, and slave is crowned.

The first part of this will be largely social.  It will begin with the opening of the pits where individuals may come and mingle with one another, visit various stalls and stands.  Fights will take place soon after.  If you're interested in your characters fighting, please let me know.  I can arrange for a random draw, or set up pairings if you have a character you'd like to have your character fight.

How will matches be determined:

If the writers of the pairing do not have a preference of the winner, it will be drawn by random by the GM through dice rolls.  The physicality/intensity of the match, as well as the victor. 

From there the writers will write a single post of their characters combating one another, to be worked out through PMs, IMs, etc.  One post from each writer explaining the fight from their characters perspectives.

Writers may also write against wild and dangerous beasts if you so wish.

Ebb's Helpful Tips

Quote from: Ebb on May 29, 2015, 04:04:12 PM
Just as a general suggestion for doing fights in a systemless game like this one, I think that it's important to keep in mind that you can have goals for your character that are different than just "win the fight". So if you're working out with your partner how the fight's going to go down, it's worth looking for ways where both writers get something out of the experience, even if in-game there can only be one real "winner". Some examples:

- A beats B, but going into it everybody thought A was a huge favorite to win, and B ended up doing surprisingly well.
- A beats B, but A had to resort to cheating, or to some generally frowned-upon maneuver. Maybe only B knows (and can use the information later), or maybe it's evident to the crowd.
- A beats B, but it's because B took a dive due to some previous underhanded deal.
- A beats B, but B ends up hurt so viciously that they earn the attention or sympathy of some other character they've been trying to make a connection with.
- A beats B, but B wounds A severely enough that A's at a huge disadvantage in their next fight against C. And maybe that was C's plan all along.
- A beats B, but B learns some trick or quirk about A's fighting style that will give them a secret advantage the next time the two of them fight. Or B could sell that information to someone else...
- A beats B, but A and B were secretly in collusion to give a great show in order to build up A's reputation.

You get the idea. Point being that there are ways to make the fight more interesting if you look at scenarios more complex than "A beats B". Ideally you end up with an arrangement where both writers have fun with it, and it serves as a springboard for both of their ongoing stories.

Matches can also be arranged between NPCs. 

The Men and Women will fight until one is the victor of each gender.  Slaves will fight to the death.

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

An updated look at the Post Counts, for those who may not notice or haven't checked...

Thread
History and Past
Village and Harbor
Open Waters
Jungle
Totals
Post Count

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

We are less than 140 posts away from being eligible for BGS but don't let that scare you away!  There is still plenty of time and plenty of opportunities to jump on in and get in on all the action. The Fighting Pits are opened and free to all who might want to get in on the carnage!

Seeking New Stories