Between the Light and the Shadows [still accepting characters!]

Started by OmniKitty, May 02, 2011, 07:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OmniKitty

First of all, this will (obviously) be put in the non-adult section, and if the content gets worse, we'll simply get it moved. =)

We have technically already started:

IC - Neutral | IC - Light | IC - Dark | OOC

But one of our players is on vacation, so it won't get started for a few days, and we're currently still welcoming other players.

Between the Light and the Shadows

This magical world is hidden to powerless humans, but some choose to live among the powerless as well. The two twins in the story (me and ELizzyK) had parents who had very little power, so they chose to live among the powerless. Their parents died while the twins were young enough to not know of the magical world, and their parents had no ties to any magical people, so the twins were sent to an orphanage. They had a few foster parents here and there, and although the girls were nice, they put off a strange aura that even the powerless could feel, and weird things always happened with the girls because of their ignorance to their own power. Therefore the girls never stayed in one home long.

Where the story will start is when the girls are 16, and as they get older they become more aware of their "powers" and it becomes harder and harder to conceal them, considering they have no control over them from lack of knowledge about them and no instruction on how to use them. So the story will start with the girls just about to leave the orphanage. This is where we'll meet the third character (played by Kyri) whose parents died young, but he still knew of his powers and the magical world. But he chooses to live in the powerless world.

Where the plot will go: There is two major magical groups, the light side, and the dark side. Each side has recruiters to young magical adults. Soon after the girls meet Kyri's character, we will run into these recruiters. One sister will be more drawn to the lighter side, and one more drawn to the dark side. Kyri's character has already met recruiters from one or both sides but chooses to stay a loner right in the middle.

That's about it. If anything sounds inconsistent, needs to be taken out, or added, we appreciate the help. If you're interested in joining, tell us where you want to fit in. (nobody from the orphanage, please.)

The only characters we really NEED are:
-a light recruiter
-a dark recruiter
-suggest something else!

Either reply to this or PM me for questions or if you're interested!

A&As updated: 10.01.2012--
Currently available for a limited number of new roleplays! If you want to revive our old one, contact me.

It's pretty to hear the things you say,
You're pretty to watch at all,

I need your starlight in the back of my head...

OmniKitty

Player Name: me

Character Name: Larissa Lee

Appearance: Short, thin, blue eyes, wavy auburn hair to the middle of her back.

History (same as other twin): Both parents had supernatural powers, but were not very strong or powerful so they never emphasized the powers to the girls. Their parents died when the girls were very young and that is when the girls were put into different foster homes, but were never welcomed for very long, so they were sent to an orphanage. They were never adopted because nobody wanted them because they were too “different” and there were too many strange occurrences. They have been experiencing some increasingly strange and seemingly supernatural occurrences that are about to force them to leave their “home.”

Personality: Larissa is a quiet and anti-social girl. She has only really taken a liking to her sister, possibly because she's been stuck with her her who life. It was probably more often her fault that they got removed from various foster parents. Not that she is a mean or bad person, she just doesn't express herself the way other people usually do. (fire+dark)

Main Powers: Manipulating minds, controlling shadows, and the likeness. Of course she cannot do this on whim yet.

Player Name: ELizzyK

Character Name: Laycie Lee

Appearance: Laycie has sparkling green eyes that are always full of mischief and laughter and brown hair that is so dark it looks as black as the night sky.  She is thin but not scarily so.  She purposely makes sure her clothes don't match and the more out of control she feels the crazier her outfit is.   

History: Same as Larissa

Personality: Laycie is optimistic and seemingly happy all the time. Strangers perceive her as crazy because she is always so oblivious to her less than fortunate situation and somehow manages to smile even when in severe situations. On the outside she appears to be naïve and a bit of a dumb blonde (although her hair is not blonde), but she has a complex mind. She just doesn’t want to bother anyone else with it. A few of their foster parents even believed she was a bit crazy and was cautious of her over-ly vibrant attitude.

Main Powers: Healing, controlling weather, and the likeness. Of course can't do these on whim yet.

Player Name: Kyri

Character Name: Nickname is Fizzle. Won't tell real name to anybody.

Appearance: He naturally has messy deep cherry red hair, and eyes to match. He's of average height, but extremely thin.

History: He had a mom and dad and they all had average powers, but they died when he was young. He believed it was a conspiracy of the light magical government, so he rejected magical family's help. He had to survive on his own in the powerless world. It is impossible to conceal his appearance so he couldn't find foster parents. He has traveled alone ever since.

Personality: The first thing one would notice about Fizzle is his cockiness. He is openly in love with himself, but these very qualities are what give him his irresistible charm. He cloaks himself in his biting sarcastic humor. In reality, nobody knows much about him other than his constant joking and his tendency to be a complete asshole. He doesn't trust anybody either.

Main Powers: Teleporting, and another TBA

Currently available for a limited number of new roleplays! If you want to revive our old one, contact me.

Richardroy22

I love the potential of this story, can I play? I can take one of the other roles, yet I wanted to suggest this as well:

Player Name: Richardroy22

Character Name: Sir Castor the Defender

Appearance: Militaristic, broad chest and shoulders. Green eyes with white/blonde hair. His face is rough cut, with bold features. Scars populate his skin. He is often in his armor, which is charred and well worn. He is armed with a large shieled and sword.

History: Sir Castor was raised in the world away from magic, in the cruel medieval waring lifestyle. He has a knack for traking and hunting dragons, vampires, and other "demonic" creatures. Only recently was he involved in the capture of a "Witch" who was hanged. For his capture, he was knighted. He never thought he would be a man hunter, but his people are counting on him to rid the world of the "evil forces of magic."

Personality: Castor is a quiet young man, but quick to show what he can do. He is highly competetive, and proad of his skills. He is loyal, and deeply contemplative.

Main Powers: average strength, high intelligence, quick reflexes, etc.

OmniKitty

If you look at the subject of this thread, it says "modern hidden-magical world.' This means the non-magical world is exactly like ours, in modern times, and there is a hidden magical world which we can make up as we go.

If you are still interested, we'd like you to show us another character or some modifications to that one. The two parts we need to be filled first are the recruiter to the dark side of the magical world, and the recruiter to the light side of the magical world.

Thanks!  :-)

Richardroy22

Alright, sorry about that mix up, I can do:

An older (22 yr old) FBI agent version of Castor,

A charming (and a little flirtations) light-side recruiter, a young man who caught on real quick. Can he also be the love interest for you or your twin?

OmniKitty

Okay. But the character we need wouldn't have to 'catch on' to anything. He would simply be aligned with the light side of the magical world, and is trying to turn the twin's to light magic rather than dark. Neutral magicians worry both the light and dark side, because at any moment they could turn the 'wrong way'.

As for the love interest, I'll have to ask ELizzyK about it and let you know what she thinks, because my character has a love interest already.

Richardroy22

That sounds good, let me adjust the character...

Player Name: Richardroy22

Character Name: Rick Locke

Appearance: Rick wars shaggy brown hair, is tall, and crisp featured. He has a "pretty boy" face, and a charming smile. He is athletic, with a broad chest and shoulders. He keeps himself clean shaven, and wears casual clothes. He has been criticized by his superiors that he dresses too casual, sometimes just wearing an A-shirt and jeans to his lessons in the light arts. Yet he has his style, and is hard-pressed to change any time soon. You couldn't tell that he was a master in the ways of magic just by looking at him.

History: Rick was raised exclusively in the Secret Magical Community, but rebelled when he was younger, and disappeared for five years. It wasn't until after he returned to the community that he showed an increased dedication to the arts. He is now one of the most promising pupils of magic. No one knows what he was doing, or where he went during those missing years, but one thing is clear: He has seen the opposition, and he knows that light must triumph. He is eager to do what it takes to rally other wizards and witches to the cause of light. Because of his popularity, charm and skill, he has been assigned the position of recruiter.

Personality: Rick is a "good boy," yet with a little bit of attitude. He is very outspoken, and has his own way of doing things. His sly and flirtatious character has a great sense of humor, yet he can be serious as a heart-attack when he is standing for the light side.

Main Powers: conjuring and element manipulation, well rounded, and well studied.

... What do you think?

OmniKitty

Okay, that looks better.

I'll get back to you when I talk with the other players or when we start.

rottenaim

Are you still in need of someone to take on the role of the dark recruiter? If so, I'd be happy to throw a deliciously evil character up for consideration.

Just let me know. =)

OmniKitty

rottenaim

Player Name: rottenaim

Character Name: Scarlett Ribbons

Appearance: Scarlett is lovely in a plain sort of way. She is of average height, maintains a rather slim, if not svelte physique. Her hair is long and straight, pale brown in color. Her eyes are her most striking feature; they are a natural vivid aquamarine. Her dress changes in regards to where she is, in the magical realm it is much more flamboyant favoring a more formal state of attire. In the modern, non-magical world she attempts to fit into the current trends, favoring a more gothic appearance.

History: Scarlett was born and raised in the magical realm to a long line of practicing Necromancers and Magisters. She has been practically weaned on the dark side, and has a ingrained hatred for that of the light, and its practitioners. She demonstrated an early talent for necromancy as well as summoning. That being said, most of her studies surrounded those two talents to the point she is nearing mastery of both. Her family has always been involved in the avid recruitment of those demonstrating potential both within the magical world, but mainly those showing promise on the bland, non-magical side. She worked extensively with a mentor recruiter and now has been promoted to a full-fledged recruiter herself. A fact she is enormously proud of.

Personality: Scarlett is a firecracker, calm and quite one moment, sizzling and explosive the next. She is extremely manipulative, can literally ooze charm when the situation calls for it. She quite talented at deception, doesn’t hesitate to lie, cheat or steal to get her way, and she is exceedingly good at doing just that; getting her way.

Main Powers:  Necromancy and Summoning.

Does this work? Let me know if I need to tweak anything. =)

OmniKitty

She sounds great! She's accepted, and so is yours Richardroy22.

I'll be putting up the first post within the next day or two, I'll put the link up here.

Others, feel free to show me your character if you are interested!  :-)

OmniKitty

Lilitu

Hi! I know you started this yesterday but I was wondering if I could still jump in as a recruiter for the light side?

OmniKitty

You're going to have to work something out with Richardroy22.  :-)

Either your characters can work together or find us separately..?

Lilitu

Okay. In my opinion our characters should team up but I may as well post what I was thinking so see if that'll work.

Player Name: Lilitu
Character Name: Evelyn Grace (Evie for short)
Appearance: She's a small and dainty woman with long white hair and soft, fair skin with bright green eyes that shine with mirth.
History: She was raised in the middle of the country by her godmother who taught her everything she needed to know to live on her own in the wilderness, but one day she went into town and the amount of darkness in people alarmed her and she decided to go live in a more populated area to help call people to the light.
Personality: Nurturing and caring, she emanates peace and warmth.
Main Power: Healing as well as making those around her tranquil and sedate.

Copycat319

..it wouldn't be horribly late to ask if I could join in this could it?
I has a semi-dark/Dark character That I think could play well in here....

OmniKitty

If you look at the link you'll see we only have two or three posts, so it's not too late. Show me your character

Copycat319

Player name: Copycat319
Character Name: Grace
Appearance: Appears to be in her early 20's, She has a rather ageless quality to her, the only hints that she would be older are the small streaks of white in her raven hair.  5'6" tall and fair-skinned with yellow-green eyes. She's of a medium build, and very lithe and graceful. Her face is open and her smile mischievous, she has very small but obvious fangs.
History: Grace was raised in the magical community almost to the point of being sheltered by it, though now lives almost exclusively in the non-magical world.  She doesn't care to remember much of her past because to her it is irrelevant. Her father was very strong, her mother was very smart, and she is very stubborn.
Personality: She prides her self on being unpredictable, even to those who supposedly know her, swinging from open cruelty to open confusion. Thrives off of chaos, she's easily enough distracted by things that catch her attention (ie. shiny objects, small movements, details out of place) and will pursue said distraction single-minded until her curiosity is fulfilled. She's highly vain, and has a bit of a superiority complex, manipulative, cunning and prone to play mind-games or ask riddles at any given time.  She's easily insulted and can be known as vindictive, cruel and sadistic. Though has become adept at acting sweet and innocent if the need arises.
Main power: Shape shifting one alt form: black panther. Also has ability to feed on the essence or aura of others and read/manipulate emotions. She's highly sensitive to psychic/magical phenomenon.

^^~<3

Assallya

I would, if you so desire, submit a concept I've been considering trying out.  I've noted you don't have any physical combatants.  I would like to tantalize your mind with the following character idea.  A reincarnation of one of the Knights of Camelot, born again and again, doing good deeds and protecting the innocent while they await the return of Arthur in the time of the world's greatest need.

Copycat319

OmniKitty

I'm sorry, but the game is currently on hold because one of our players is on vacation. When we get it moving again we'll tell you.

Notice: this is going to be a rather slow-moving game anyway because at least three players involved are just slow posters.  ;)  Just letting everybody know.

Lilitu - your character is approved, but like I said you'll have to speak with RichardRoy to see if you have an alliance or anything.

Copycat - your character is approved, but you might want to work something out with any other dark recruiters.

Assallya - show me your character, please. Nevermind, I see you are on hold..

If anybody wants to go ahead and put their into post in the IC thread, they can. The dark side and the light side may even interact a bit amongst themselves as long as anything doesn't get out of hand and it flows with the story. If you have any questions just ask me!

Assallya

*suddenly feels so very weary*  So, not only am I unworthy enough to be involved in "adult" role plays but also not good enough to partake in the non-adult?

OmniKitty

Quote from: Assallya on May 17, 2011, 08:20:06 PM
*suddenly feels so very weary*  So, not only am I unworthy enough to be involved in "adult" role plays but also not good enough to partake in the non-adult?

I didn't mean to offend you. I wasn't attacking your worth. I said the same thing for the others on here that weren't approved when they first submitted their character here. I figured since you were on hold you wouldn't be posting. How much longer until you can re-apply?

If you will be active, then you can join us, but if we get into adult stuff (as I said in the beginning that it may), your character will just poof. =/ So you see my dilemma. Go ahead and post your character, please.

Assallya

I apologize and I more than understand that decision based off of story.  The original choice of words felt... somewhat dismissive and I'm a little sensitive to being dismissed without thought having been so recently put on hold.  Not to mention, another five and half months staring me in the face is rubbing me sorely.

As a GM I've often had to fudge story lines with people going poof, made more painful since I interweave sub-plots for each character.  (In traditional Buffy:TVS style I turn games into soap operas...)  I won't bother you with a character, particularly since I suspect I'd become crucial to the plot over time.

Thank you so much for explaining.  That does make me feel tons better.  It also gives me incentive to read while I wait.