News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Dreams and Sleep

Started by MagicalPen, August 28, 2008, 07:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

So, I have major issues trying to fall asleep and stay asleep. Countless times i've woken up in a cold sweat and have 'known' that something was in my room, or felt something (like a snake, or spider) crawling in my bed. I react in a panic - turning on a light, or hiding under my covers until I gain enough nerve to turn on a light (sometimes takes about 30 minutes). In the case with spiders/snakes, I toss all my sheets off the bed and then stomp on them for a minute or two before I reason that there was nothing there. Or I move the object out of view - for instance, i thought my backpack was a very large sized rabbit that was getting ready to kill me. Sadly, I can not say this happens because I do drugs, since i'm the cleanest/soberist person I know.

Anyways, I have dreams occasionally and nightmares a lot. Its odd though, since they seem to occur in the morning right as I am starting to wake up. In a few instances, I've opened my eyes, looked at my watch, then closed my eyes again and continued with the dream. Not sure how normal that is. I've also had moments where things (in the waking world) have felt like deja-vu, and its only later that I recall why it feels like deja-vu, and thats because i dreamt something similar a month prior. Pretty odd.

Anyways, last night I dreamt a peculiar dream. I think it was actually two different ones actually. One involved being with my family at a friends place. It wasn't a farm, but they had an assortment of animals. A bull started to stomp its hooves, so i told everyone to get out of the golf-cart type thing we were driving. A lot of the dream is still fuzzy and while i can picture it in my head, i can't put it into words.

So, another part was a winter landscape. I was up high, looking down onto ice. There were kids skating there, and for some reason half of them all crashed together, severing some of their legs. Others fell through the ice. Then I was talking about how some of them lost their legs. Next, i was in a wetsuit swimming in the icecold water. Other divers were trying to recover the bodies. I saw one body floating under the Ice as my boss (go figure) swam by me telling me he was getting out cus it was cold. The hole in ice i entered was gone now too, so i tried crawling up onto the ice because I was getting cold, but it kept breaking. I felt warmer as i swam along the surface to a different area, where my dad helped me out of the water.

Not my typical type of dream, and i am leaving out a lot that i just can't put my finger on, 2 hours later, but yeah. Just thought i'd rant/share.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Lilias

Are you stuck in a rut at your job? That's the impression I get by your second dream. Something like the work itself holding you and others down, even actively undermining you, and the people of authority turning their backs on you, while your family supports you. Am I even close?

Have you tried using a dreamcatcher? It might work well with the nightmares, just make sure you get a proper one, without a bead in the centre.

Of course, dreams are not my strongest suit, so I could be talking out of my rear end. Feel free to disregard.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

MagicalPen

What about the frequency of them? I've only ever heard people talk about having them once a week/month...I seem to get them virtually every night in some form (dream/nightmare).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Sherona

Most do not remember dreams, but we dream every night. It's our body's way of unwinding and releasing stress.

Some have a higher level of brain activity during deep sleep and are able to retain their memories of dreams at a higher rate then others.

MagicalPen

I seem to have them every night, and don't sleep well at all. Like I said before, they occur as i start to wake up (or result in me waking up).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

HairyHeretic

I think if you wake and then go back to sleep you tend to remember them more. Thats the case for me at least. I don't tend to remember whole dreams though, just isolated fragments from here and there.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

WyldRanger

I've always dreamt every single night of my life, whether or not I remember anything specific from them they are mostly always vivid detailed dreams the most often times seem to relate to something in my life...but with very weird and bizarre twists to them.

Trieste

*nodnod*

Just about everyone gets deja vu, too. I get it pretty strongly. Someone will say something, or I'll be walking down a hallway and, say, drop my books... and something in the way the light moves or a motion or the way the books are laid out make me stop and stare for a moment. "I know this. I've seen this before." Everyone dreams about things and people that are familiar to them... deja vu is almost inevitable because of that.

I remember my dreams almost every day. I have very, very vivid dreams... half of my game ideas come out of or are inspired by my dreams. I enjoy them - but the vividity of my imagination means that when I have nightmares, they are very vivid as well. The best example I have is that I once dreamt of being struck by lightning, and woke up feeling like I'd imagine it would feel if it were really to happen. I know that's sort of the point: It's my imagination, so of course I'm going to feel the way I think it feels. But the point is that I woke up, and it didn't fade. For about five or ten solid minutes after I woke up, I felt it. It was excruciating. But I enjoy my dreams enough that I gladly pay the price of the occasional nightmare in return for the rest of my dreams.

Plus, if you're a lucid dreamer, things get even more interesting...

MagicalPen

My nightmares are extremely vivid as they continue when I wake up (IE. snake in my bed type thing). Usually takes me about 30 minutes to settle down and realize it was just a nightmare type thing. This sort of thing usually occurs between 2AM and 4AM for me, while dreams (which i can remember wholly) occur as i wake up between 6AM and 7:30AM.

For instance, last night I dreamed I was out hunting with my coworker TJ and a Friend. We were looking for deer but instead got rabbit-like creatures that had horns on them. I shot the first one, then the friend shot a good sized one. We went to go retrieve the bodies and the one our friend had shot was Elk-sized (it changed mid dream) while it turned out I had missed my shot since there was no blood trail. We turn around, and theres a log there, so we're resting our guns on it as a bunch of turkeys come by. The friend again takes the shot, since you can only shoot male turkeys (gobblers) and as he shots it, some one else shoots one of the other turkeys. Then, all of a sudden, its winter time and people are skying down the slope even as hunters are walking across. A hunter gets skied over. Scene change again, and i'm in some store with my ex-gf (her name is Jenn). For some reason, I was naked - i think i was changing as it was after the hunt - and then i buy a jacket and put it in my car and come back, buy something else (i think the rights to go hunting) but they also charge me for the jacket which i just bought. The receipt is in the bag which is in the car, but they won't let me go outside and get it. So i turn to ask if Jenn can go get it for me, at which point the dream ends.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Caity

This is strange.... I've been having trouble sleeping and having strange dreams too.  I think, for me, it's the change in the weather.  I tend to dream right before I wake up too...  My worst nightmares are of suffocating, they are so real and so vivid.  I feel like I'm awake but I can't move or breathe and no matter what I do I can't wake up.  I'm aware of the room around me, but can't make any noise or anything.  My mom has these same dreams... that's weird, huh?  I'm a fairly regular lucid dreamer so I usually know when this occurs that it's a dream, it helps with the panicking but not with the scariness.

Have you tried getting yourself on a schedule and establishing a bed time routine?  That really does wonders for being able to sleep better. 

MagicalPen

I've tried - which is where the music comes in - but it really doesn't help any. For some reason, been waking up a bit after 7 all this week, but I know that when i actually try to sleep in tomorrow i'll be up at 6:30 like I was today. Sucks because I then feel so tired but know I have to get up to come to work.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Caity

Try a lavender soap and soaking your feet.  That works for me.  :p

Haibane

MP, if this is bothering you, keep a notebook and pencil by your bed and scribble down the dream as soon as you can after waking, even any tiny scraps and bits you can.

Then analyse it.

http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

http://www.thecuriousdreamer.com/

You are recalling dreams probably due to stresses and worries in your life. Analyzing the dreams (especially recurring ones) will help you identify the focus of the stress/concern in your life and possibly give you either a hint of how to deal with it or if not, just knowing that a scary dream means a certain thing can defuse it and the fear it causes. I've done a fair bit of dream analysis on myself and on friends and it has never failed to be helpful. I can assure you it does work and is largely accurate since the reports I gave back to friends helped some of them immensely with issues they had and of which I was unaware.

Interestingly and rather co-incidentally you were in one of my dreams last night ;) So was Charliesariel. Basically I was in bed with her and you were stood to one side telling me what to do to her ;D

Inkidu

It's obvious you're sexually repressed! God I love Freud.
Seriously though, what do you eat before going to bed?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

I suggest seeking a counselor and possibly getting on some medication. That's what I did, for a while, until they found out I was homeless back then and kicked me out.

But lately I've been having nightmares and odd dreams that I remember much more frequently, and several times a night instead of just one per. I never wake up in a cold sweat though, or feel the presence of anything in my room (mostly because the way my window is positioned, there's too much light filtering in for me to not see clearly what's in there.)

I may not believe on ghosts or whatever but my friend Michael is really in tune with that kind of thing and can feel the presence of spirits, malevolent or otherwise, and you might have that same sort of gift and just not be able to distinguish between good and bad. Read some books on it, I recommend, and talk to people about your dreams more often or write them down in a diary or blog or something. Re-examining them with feedback from others is probably a good way to help put things in perspective. You might even have a breakthrough on your own without needing a therapist like I do.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).