Setting List Suggestions

Started by Vekseid, August 23, 2009, 03:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Trying to get more direct commentary from people about the Ons and Offs system, so please place suggestions here if you have any, thank you : )

Oreo

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Vekseid

That's what the information age is >_>

I hate the term 'modern', personally.

Oreo

Sweet ;D, Thanks for the 'information' Vekseid

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Caeli

What do you think of "Contemporary" instead, then? :P
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Nadir

Wait... that 'setting' column is meant for RP settings? It makes more sense!

Vekseid

Quote from: Caeli on August 24, 2009, 12:54:45 AM
What do you think of "Contemporary" instead, then? :P

We have a definition for our current age, so I prefer that. :-p As much as I'm sure the next 'age' is at least ten years off, I hate using definitions that change >_>

Haibane

The settings headings already agreed on - and the list generally, where is it? The link given in the first post just provides a link back to here? I'm confused.

Vekseid

Haibane

Thank you!

Call me thick, but I think some general date ranges to cover the Earth period settings would help, and perhaps list these in chronological order?

EDIT: More random thoughts. Some of the settings seem redundant, since they become automatically included in certain system games. Hm, though in answering my own question I suppose you could use the setting but not the actual system, or a different system.

'Imperial' is a confusing setting title. To me it implies the period of European Imperialism, say 1830s to 1939. 'Classical' might more clearly cover this period? That includes pre-Imperial Rome too and of course Ancient Greece/Persia et al. With a stretch you could call this the setting that links between Pre-History and the Dark Ages.

I do think dates will help here, perhaps included in the tooltips/popups?

ANOTHER EDIT: More random thoughts...

'Age of Gunpowder' - to many that might imply a period between about 1500 through 1850. Can I suggest you call this setting 'Medieval to Renaissance'.

'Historic' - somewhat confusing. Can I suggest 'Dark Ages'

'Prehistoric' - a bit picky but a I think a better term is 'Pre-History'.

missvigilant

That's one excellent system, Vekseid! Thank you!

1. Where is Medieval in Settings?

2. I think a selection of popular fandoms should be included in the setting list. And WoW.
--==[[[ I'm a subscriber ]]]==---
Looking for MxM, MxF romance, either part

Vekseid

I was trying to avoid Eurocentric definitions - I may just go with rough centuries instead.

Haibane

I would not say they were Eurocentric terms, but Western-centric. I think they are the most universally known and used. Certainly 'Classical', 'Dark Ages', 'Medieval' and so-on. I think academics the world over use them. Unless they are studying the Chinese or other Asian dynasties of course but I think to the vast majority of people here those terms are the clearest.

In contrast, the terms you've got in there now are very confusing to me.

And why the references to Chinese dynasties? How many Elliquiy members would be concerned with RPing in those?

Will

If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

HairyHeretic

Would, and am as it happens :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Haibane

Sure, there will always be a few, but the vast majority don't.

No need to re-invent the wheel is the saying.

Just my opinion.

Caeli

I would actually prefer if Euro-centric time periods and settings were separated from Asian time periods and settings.

The current categories are more confusing than not. Of course, I am in the supposed "vast minority" and "few" interested in and/or actually studying Chinese history. If I were to do a search for people interested in Asian settings (imperial China or feudal Japan, for a quick example), I think searching through the system as it is organized right now would be very frustrating.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Vekseid

Quote from: Caeli on August 24, 2009, 08:15:04 PM
I would actually prefer if Euro-centric time periods and settings were separated from Asian time periods and settings.

The current categories are more confusing than not. Of course, I am in the supposed "vast minority" and "few" interested in and/or actually studying Chinese history. If I were to do a search for people interested in Asian settings (imperial China or feudal Japan, for a quick example), I think searching through the system as it is organized right now would be very frustrating.

I have some interest in African and Native American cultures, such as the Benin and Olmecs. I was just going to split out regions and times. I'm thinking of giving 'Earth' its own setting category entirely >_>

Caeli

Quote from: Vekseid on August 24, 2009, 08:22:17 PM
I have some interest in African and Native American cultures, such as the Benin and Olmecs. I was just going to split out regions and times. I'm thinking of giving 'Earth' its own setting category entirely >_>

... That works. :-)

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Will

That does sound like an effective choice, if it's practical.

- Jack Kerouac

Oreo

Quote from: Vekseid on August 24, 2009, 08:22:17 PM

I like that idea as well. There are many time period genres outside of Europe. I too think a China based RP would be of interest to myself, as well as African, South Seas, Norse, South American, Arctic and Antarctic expedition or ancient history might even be good.

It might work better to give time periods separate from any culture.

Will

Well, within any given time period, there are several settings worth noting, so dividing up by time period isn't really all that helpful.  Many of the settings discussed in recent posts happened simultaneously (or at least overlapped), so time period wouldn't be quite specific enough.

- Jack Kerouac

Haibane

It sounds like splitting up into eras by time windows is a no-no then. Can we break down settings by Earth culture perhaps?

Or if you used the most commonly accepted titles, the Western ones, and with tool-tips added a time window and significant other cultures within that time-window (Han Dynasty, Olmecs, Early Feudal Japan, Whatever) it should cover all the points of issue, but would be more work to set up initially.

rick957

Vekseid, I noticed that you preferred the Earth Info Age category over the suggestions of Modern or Contemporary, which I personally prefer ... the "Information Age" term wouldn't occur to most people, in my opinion, until they examined the whole list of "Earths" and tried to figure out which one is the current world we're in.  If it isn't designated in more obvious language, is there some other way to make it stand out?  It's a concern of mine simply because it's almost always the setting I use, and there are bound to be some other people who stick to that setting exclusively and would appreciate some more obvious way to find it in the list.  Just a suggestion, thanks for reading. :-)

Haibane

I still prefer 'Contemporary'. It doesn't move or change, in our context it would means games set 'now', whenever 'now' is. Even if 'now' is twenty years hence if we're all still here, 'contemporary' would still apply just the same.