Beyonce would like to play Wonder Woman

Started by The Overlord, November 09, 2008, 11:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

I'll start off here admitting my Wonder Woman fetish, mine is an adolescence partially formed with reruns of Lynda Carter doing her thing so I can't really help it. Everyone loved her in the role, and it just doesn't get old years later.

It's true all the other big DC superheroes have made it to the screen; WW is the last big one remaining. I can think of some actresses that would play the part, but not the big names that are often tossed about. Lynda herself said she thinks the role should go to a relative unknown, and I tend to agree.

Even if this doesn't happen, I have to say I'm up for the idea of a Wonder Woman of different ethnicity; I'll admit the fantasy of a black or Asian WW, the latter preferably a Japanese actress. Not exactly canon, but I can say yeah I'd like to see Beyonce put on that costume, I doubt anyone could really deny the hotness factor there. It's about time they finished this movie.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27600484/

Chris Brady

Apparently, Megan Fox is going for the role.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

The Green Lantern and Flash don't count? : (
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

The Overlord

Megan Fox wouldn't be the worst pick I can think of, but honestly I'd rather they give it to Beyonce.

Chris Brady

I wonder if this is the Joss Whedon movie that he was said to be making.

It would fit, though, given his fetish for tortured supergirls that he's thrown into every single production that he's ever had.  At least here, he doesn't have to hide it.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

The Overlord

I've read enough on the topic to know Whedon is off the project because of 'creative differences', also known as Whedon wanting to take too much liberty re-imagining a comic class and making it FUBAR.

For one, he seemed to have a new direction he wanted to go with the famous WW costume.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/wonder_woman/news/?a=2384

QuoteJoss Whedon says he'll be getting Wonder Woman to drop the granny panties look that was classic for Lynda Carter in the 1970s but won't work for his new movie.

"We're definitely have a nicer look than that," he told Suicide Girls. "It will be the Wonder Woman silhouette, but the star spangled adult diapers are gone."

As for special effects, Whedon says Matrix producer Joel Silver, who is also doing WW, will influence the action. "Wonder Woman is going to have major special effects because she's Wonder Woman. Joel and I are very much on the same page about how big this movie is and what kind of movie it is. I'm not worried about any conflict there. But with Joel, he wakes up and there's conflict but it's the good kind. The kind that makes good movies."

As for Whedon's favorite Wonder Woman era from the comics: "I don’t really have a favorite. [George] Perez did some great work and John Byrne did some cool stuff. I think Greg Rucka is doing some cool stuff now. But ultimately I don't have one that I can pinpoint as canon. That's kind of why I like the project."

I'll admit I'm pretty partial to the classic Lynda Carter-era look, in fact that's more or less how WW appeared through most of her comic issues, up until at least the George Perez era, but knowing Whedon he'd probably want to turn into some sort of red, white & blue vampire hunter costume. I think it's just as well he's off the project, let's face it, what would fans say if Superman lost the cape and red S, or if The Dark Knight made Batman's costume blue or crimson? Don't frack with canon, especially canon in mainstays as old as all the above mentioned. It's been good this long, leave it alone.

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on November 13, 2008, 11:33:35 PM
t's true all the other big DC superheroes have made it to the screen; WW is the last big one remaining.
I thought G.L. and Flash were big :|
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

Quote from: Inkidu on November 15, 2008, 12:07:59 AM
I thought G.L. and Flash were big :|

Well yeah but I think everyone sort of agrees Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are pretty much the DC big three.

Chris Brady

Well, seeing as a DC comic line calling itself 'Trinity' is focusing on Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman exclusively...  I think out Overlord has the right of it.

The Overlord

Well it comes down to age too; these three characters date back to 1930's-40's. Specifically 1932 for Superman, 1939 for Batman, and 1941 for Wonder Woman. They have been the cornerstones of DC, and I'd expect them to remain so. You know in another 25-30 years as these turn 100, they're still going to be in print.

Chris Brady

Well, it also shows something about the longevity of their archetypes if they can last THIS long.  Seriously, they've been reinvented from time to time, but in the end, they are STILL here, still being written and read.

Zakharra

Quote from: The Overlord on November 13, 2008, 11:36:41 PM
Megan Fox wouldn't be the worst pick I can think of, but honestly I'd rather they give it to Beyonce.

Wouldn't work. She isn't Greek looking.

The Overlord

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 15, 2008, 05:00:52 PM
Well, it also shows something about the longevity of their archetypes if they can last THIS long.  Seriously, they've been reinvented from time to time, but in the end, they are STILL here, still being written and read.

Which is why I do believe these titles will see centennial issues. If they survived 70-75 years, they'll do another quarter century easily. Somehow they manage to stay relevant, especially now with such a resurgence of comic characters going to the big screen. In a sense, they do represent archetypes. Superman and Wonder Woman are more Herculean archetypes, Batman more of a vigilante hero....a little of them resides in each of us I think.

Quote from: Zakharra on November 15, 2008, 11:45:11 PM
Wouldn't work. She isn't Greek looking.

I agree. I know Transformers put her on the map, and I must admit watching the movie thinking who is this hot girl (I was also thinking the movie could have been better overall, but I digress). Point is yeah she's not a good fit for the role, even though I'm sure she'd look good in the costume...hopefully the movie will have more substance than that. I'd like to see the character have enough depth that we could have fit her into The Dark Knight cast; not just be a T&A fight club....not there's anything inherently wrong with that.

Lynda Carter isn't Greek either; she's Irish, Spanish and Mexican, but she had a special something that made her a favorite with everyone. Megan Fox owes her good looks to her Native American blood, and there's nothing wrong with that, but ethnically she's even further off than Lynda. I don't know of any good Greek actresses but I'm sure there's some.

The Overlord

I was watching Underworld again last week, and right now I've got Van Helsing on.

She's not Greek either...but. Two words. Kate Beckinsale.

Apple of Eris

Jennifer Aniston and Mena Suvari are greek.

Though I doubt either is wonder womanish enough.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Stattick

We just had a huge fight over this issue on another forum that I don't want to replicate here. But Beyonce... no. She doesn't look the part, she's not tall enough, and she doesn't have the acting talent for it either. Disagree if you wish, but I also don't think that the part should be reimagined to have WW be a black woman. 

Wonder Woman needs to be played by someone tall, strong of body and spirit, and someone that can kick some serious ass believably on camera. Furthermore, she needs to be able to come off as not silly looking in the costume, handle a rope well, and do a lot of under-stated BDSM stuff without being too overt or campy. Now, we probably won't get someone that fits ALL of those catagories, but we should get one that that fits most of them, AND looks the part. If appearance, and thus race, were unimportant, then I'd suggest Gina Torres for WW - she's only 5'10 and I'd prefer at least 6'0, but she has the talent and attitude to pull off the role if she looked the part. Unfortuneately, she doesn't look the part. Wonder Woman's appearance is well fixed in people's minds, and changing it to something entirely different for the move to the big screen I don't think will go over well, nor do I think that it should be done.

I don't want to get involved in another big flame war over this though, so I probably won't participate much in this thread.
O/O   A/A

The Overlord

Quote from: Apple of Eris on November 20, 2008, 06:26:04 PM
Jennifer Aniston and Mena Suvari are greek.

Though I doubt either is wonder womanish enough.

Likely true.

Jennifer Anniston is Greek?  :o

The Overlord

Quote from: Stattick on November 20, 2008, 11:22:49 PM
But Beyonce... no. She doesn't look the part, she's not tall enough, and she doesn't have the acting talent for it either.

Not tall enough? I’ve never see numbers, but somehow I always get the impression she's got reasonable height...must be those genetically perfect thighs.  :-\

Chris Brady

Superman has been listed as 6' 4", and I remember once seeing that WW is actually 5' 10".  And all the depictions of Wonder Woman beside or near the Man of Steel has her almost half a foot shorter then he.

The Overlord

Well 5'-10" is on the tall side for a woman, and it fits WW...superheroes or heroines tend not to be short on purpose. A quick net search on Beyonce puts her around 5'-5" or 5'-6", not tall enough for the role and shorter than I expected.

The Overlord

Quote from: Stattick on November 20, 2008, 11:22:49 PM
We just had a huge fight over this issue on another forum that I don't want to replicate here. But Beyonce... no. She doesn't look the part, she's not tall enough, and she doesn't have the acting talent for it either. Disagree if you wish, but I also don't think that the part should be reimagined to have WW be a black woman. 

Wonder Woman needs to be played by someone tall, strong of body and spirit, and someone that can kick some serious ass believably on camera. Furthermore, she needs to be able to come off as not silly looking in the costume, handle a rope well, and do a lot of under-stated BDSM stuff without being too overt or campy. Now, we probably won't get someone that fits ALL of those catagories, but we should get one that that fits most of them, AND looks the part. If appearance, and thus race, were unimportant, then I'd suggest Gina Torres for WW - she's only 5'10 and I'd prefer at least 6'0, but she has the talent and attitude to pull off the role if she looked the part. Unfortuneately, she doesn't look the part. Wonder Woman's appearance is well fixed in people's minds, and changing it to something entirely different for the move to the big screen I don't think will go over well, nor do I think that it should be done.

I don't want to get involved in another big flame war over this though, so I probably won't participate much in this thread.

Well I don't want to start a fight over it either. In fact fighting online over who might or might not be playing a fictional character in a movie is just this side of moronic.

I realize it's not canon, but at least in the interest of ethnic equality I have no problem with casting someone non-Greek in the role.

I must however admit to a little bias here, because a black girl in a Wonder Woman costume is personal fantasy material…if for no other reason than I don’t see it enough.

Chris Brady

Quote from: The Overlord on November 21, 2008, 07:54:05 PM

Well 5'-10" is on the tall side for a woman, and it fits WW...superheroes or heroines tend not to be short on purpose. A quick net search on Beyonce puts her around 5'-5" or 5'-6", not tall enough for the role and shorter than I expected.

Kitty Pryde and Jean Grey are relatively short, with KP being 5' 4"-5' 5" and JG at 5' 6".

*Knows too much about comic characters...*

The Overlord

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 21, 2008, 07:58:30 PM
Kitty Pryde and Jean Grey are relatively short, with KP being 5' 4"-5' 5" and JG at 5' 6".

*Knows too much about comic characters...*

LOL, also guilty as charged...I could make myself look bad itemizing differences in the artists who drew the character in the past 25 years, or the changes to Lynda's outfit between the ABC and CBS seasons.  :-\