Masks of Destiny-Interest Check (DnD 3.5)

Started by MzNurse, April 29, 2011, 12:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellion000

(I was kidding about the breasts thing. *laughs* It's kind of a running gag. I'm to honest to do something like that.)

Mysterica

Yeah, it is too bad all we have is the players handbook.  otherwise I would probably make a dragon shaman from players handbook II.

Crovonovin

I imagine, this being MzNurse's first time DMing, that she just wants to keep things nice and simple.  I can hardly fault her for that.  Maybe once we get a bit further along she'll be a bit more comfortable opening up more advanced options, but for now I'm content to work with core.

Laughing Hyena

Mysterica

Difficult choice...  more spells per day, or bigger spells learned faster...  have fun with that choice.

Laughing Hyena

Hmm.. I think a lot of people would pick having more spells per day then a wider selection per day in my book

AndyZ

From what I remember, the sorcerer and the wizard varied in that the sorcerer was more of a cannon, and the wizard was more of a swiss-army knife.

The wizard had a lot of combat spells that they could collect, sure, but they were also more of a utility person.  Need someone teleported?  Need a curse broken?  Need to switch planes?  You want to have a wizard available.

However, I've been in many games where you simply didn't need any of that stuff, and in a PHB-only game, sorcerers will probably have enough spell options to pick up everything necessary at any given time, if a bit behind schedule of the wizard.

I was originally thinking sorcerer but I'd love to try a paladin again.  It's one of the few things that I prefer how 3e did it to 4e.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

RubySlippers

All the sorceror needs to do for utility is load up on wands alot of basic spells are also not high level that would fall into that a Wand of Identify is cheap and would pay for itself in no time.

Crovonovin

What quest against evil is complete without a Paladin anyway?

grovercjuk

Hi all.
           I am playing a rogue, nice and simple class.

Mysterica

Interesting...  two rogues...  I suppose we could both be on one side of an enemy and kill an enemy without even them being able to think about fighting back with two rogues sneak attacking.

RubySlippers

Rogues are not all the same maybe one is a keen eared spy and socially gifted.

Crovonovin

Exactly.  There are so many possibilities for a rogue that it's quite nearly mind-boggling.  Humble pick pocket street urchin, or master assassin?  Nimble-fingered acrobat, or elegant noble with a gift for the sword?  Fleet-footed thug, or greedy thief?  With all those skill points it becomes quite easy to build drastically different characters with different bodies of knowledge and ability at their disposal.

Hellion000

Grover, Myst...

If you really want to maximize the bang for the buck potential of a rogue, one of you should switch from rogue to monk.

Nothing says "I love you, bad guys." like the good old 'stunning fist' 'flanking, sneak attack' combo.

grovercjuk

Hmm I have built Tess as a sneaky breaking and entering type, move quietly, disable traps and open locks kind of girl. Although she does have a high charisma to allow her to charm guards.

Mysterica

Well, I might have changed it up a bit, probably to a druid, but I've already made the character, written the backstory, and sent along both

grovercjuk

Although there is nothing to say that a party cannot have two rogues.

Hellion000

Two rogues in the party is actually a good thing.

If you look at the skills available to the rogue, they have the highest percentage of legitimately useful skills. So many, in fact, that no one rogue can really shine at all of them. A party with two rogues allows one rogue to Dex focus and the other to Cha focus, with both of them seconding into Int. That splits the work, and thus increases the effectiveness of both rogues.

RubySlippers

My character is mostly done one thing about fighters they are not complex to do at 1st level.

Mysterica

Oh aye.  20 dex, 17 cha, and a 16 int for me.  Then I took the weapon finesse feat to work with my masterwork shortsword and I am fairly martial capable.anyone else wonder why a dagger is slashing or piercing damage, while a shortsword is only piercing?

Yeah.  Higher lvl ones though can be difficult though...  so many feat choices!

grovercjuk

Probably because they based it on the Roman Legionary sword about 2 foot long and designed for stabbing not slashing.

And if your char is a fighter type rogue they could work together quite well as Tess had taken feats to improve her thieving skills

Muse

Hm.... 

Cleric is always the hardest too do until you know the pantheon.  I was going to offer a wizard, but if we're short on cleric/druid type... 

Well, let me see what the dice say. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Mysterica

Yeah.  I still might slightly alter my skill choices to try and make some other likely differences.

Hellion000

Quote from: grovercjuk on May 01, 2011, 04:06:22 PM
Probably because they based it on the Roman Legionary sword about 2 foot long and designed for stabbing not slashing.

And if your char is a fighter type rogue they could work together quite well as Tess had taken feats to improve her thieving skills

Short swords in D and D are based on the Gladius Hispaniensis, which is one of 4 types of Roman auxiliary weapons issued to legionnaires. It's a short hilted tapered point blade with the fulcrum closer to the pommel than the apex of the blade, which makes it specifically designed for straight line thrusts; whereas daggers have a center of gravity (fulcrum) that sits in the middle, making them balanced for thrusting or slashing; and longswords are based on European blades roughly 40 inches or so long with a fulcrum about 3 to 5 inches back from the apex of the blade, making them ideal slashing weapons.

(Thus ends the mechanical breakdown lesson!)

RubySlippers

And greatswords are eight pounds of razor sharp metal weighted on the blade for powerful arcing swinging slashes, similar to the Scottish Claymore. And yes its not a subtle blade it makes a statement you attack me your going to get hurt! grrrrrrrrrrr

;D