WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreaming Space

Quote from: MiaKage on June 24, 2018, 09:28:48 AM
Well, he went up against two, the 2nd one was witnessed by another officer I believe. He also killed an Ork Warboss! Also don't forget, that even though he is the narrator, Inquisitor Amberly Vail is the editor, and constantly praises him for his skill and always says he's too hard on himself and he isn't the coward he makes himself out to be. He got go to onto a space hulk with some space marines too n.n

There's an editorial comment by Vail somewhere where she specifically says he's (IIRC) the best swordsman she's ever seen. I'd probably qualify that as the best "human, non-heavily-augmented", but whatever.

I'm ready to believe the best human swordsman in a sector can drop a run of the mill Chaos Space Marine in a 1:1 fight. They shouldn't get too comfortable doing it, though.
β€œIt's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

MiaKage

oh! and the duel between him and the Ork Warboss was caught on video! so he did go 1v1 against an ork warboss and won!

Even though he may have some serious flaws, Cain is still really skilled, and pulled off some crazy things in his adventures n.n
On/Off
A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back because the scorpion cannot swim. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "Because if I do, I will die too."
The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"
The scorpion replies: "But, little frog, I can swim."

TheLaughingOne

ooohhhh! i've never actually got to read the cain series as never found the first books, always just way late into the series, but had people describe and read wikis on them so.. Yeah.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

wander

They're basically Blackadder 40k, which is an amazing thing.

Also the point of Cain I always figured is whilst every other novel is written to be faction propaganda, well essentially everyone else has said it better by now. I am very glad that Geedubs got the Cain books back in print and as an omnibus no less. Now good times can be had by all again.

TheGlyphstone

Plus it looks like a new one is coming out, which makes me immensely happy. Sandy Mitchell returning to Black Library is the greatest of news.

TheLaughingOne

........ i REALLY hope that means the Dark Heresy novels will get finished.. i really liked that series and one of the big ones to really get me into 40k...
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

TheGlyphstone

If they were tie-ins to the Dark Heresy RPG, the odds are likely zero. GW doesn't want anyone remembering a competitor exists to their new Wrath and Glory game.

TheLaughingOne

My Ons and Offs!

HairyHeretic

I wonder how many people are using sassy Nurgling as their Deamon Prince these days :) I know I would.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

HairyHeretic

All warfare is based on deception.

Attack where the foe is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

Is anyone familiar with any Loyalist Marine chapters that operate along the lines of the Alpha Legion? I've been thinking about building up a new Marine force with the Primaris Marines I have, and while I was initially thinking Deathwatch, I sort of have an idea of building a force with a similar theme to the Scorpion Clan of L5R. Deception, stealth, misdirection.

Any thoughts on the viability of something like that? Is there any Codex that would allow for fielding a force like this?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Isn't the Raven Guard all about that sort of thing? Stealth and sneakiness, at least.

HairyHeretic

Stealth definitely, but I'm not sure if they have Alpha Legion levels of sneaky. I guess Loyalist marines probably wouldn't make that much use of mortal agents.

Maybe a fleet based chapter, with mortal contacts on a lot of the worlds they are responsible for (both official and otherwise), and among the local Rogue Traders / ship captains and such like.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, that just doesn't really feel like a 'loyalist' doctrine to me. The AL isn't just stealth+sneakiness, but specifically treachery and sabotage. They're all about making you paranoid and unable to trust, because anyone - even your closest allies - could be an AL spy, double agent, or even an outright doppleganger replacement. Loyalists are, comparatively, much more straightforward - they're fine with attacking an unprepared or unaware foe, that's just good tactics. But undermining an enemy with deceit is innately Chaotic in its nature, so IMO any chapter that outright embraced AL-like strategies would be on the short road to falling in the same fashion.

HairyHeretic

Well, the Imperium has no issues using treachery and sabotage, though generally via the Assassins. :)

Deathwatch Kill Marines might make a halfway suitable AL-style of operation.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

The Imperium as a whole does a lot of things that Loyalist Space Marines would never contemplate doing, from using xenos weaponry to binding Daemons into human hosts as slaves. Not exactly the best equivalence. :D

A Deathwatch Kill-Team is probably the closest you'll find on the stealth and sabotage angle, in large part because they have to compensate for their extreme lack of numbers even by Marine standards. But even they're just the Ordos Xenos's superhuman attack dogs, and the entire Inquisitorial Ordos is fully and easily capable of shenanigans that would make the AL go 'eeeh, bit much there dudes' without the Deathwatch themselves ever getting involved.

wander

Custodes have the 'I am Alpharius' Warlord Trait as a 1CP strategem called 'Shoulder the Mantle'.

Otherwise AL and Raven Guard have the exact same Army Trait, of -1 to hit when 12" away.

Raven Guard play super similar to Alpha Legion, so you could just play a successor of the Raven Guard.

HairyHeretic

I'll have to have a look at the RG rules then, as well as the Deathwatch. Honestly, I'm more at the fluff than rules point at the moment, and starting to look around for suitable conversion bits :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

greenknight

I was under the impression there were also two legions for each mission; executioners, hunters, etc. Are Raven Guard and Alpha Legion the infiltrator legions?
Also, no reason your loyalists couldn't come from one of the stricken legions. Stricken to keep their works hidden, perhaps? From there, you could simply assign them the Raven Guard chapter rules because the backstory really doesn't need game mechanics.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

TheLaughingOne

Heyyo,

Alpha and raven are different sides of same coin, both are infiltration and fast strike types, but Alpha goes the route of sleeper agents, subterfuge, blackmail, and other means of turning people to their cause and fighting for them or sneaking their troops/materials into areas.

Raven is more Tactical, thick Special forces, they rely on camouflage, stealth, working in the enemies blind spots, ect.

That said, both have some overlap, but their general doctrine are vastly different... and then boiled down into the same mechanic.
My Ons and Offs!

CopperLily

Raptors? With a lot of the new I Can't Believe They're Not Warcrimes primaris dudes....Reivers?

TheLaughingOne

Oh yeh. the Raptor chapter is awesome like that. the "Get Shit Done" guys.

And lets be honest... People forgot the term warcrime about 39000 years ago in 40k...

I do really like reivers though. Stealth infiltration then mixed with sonic amplifiers to blast out enemy ears with their warcrys. then using what most people would consider a sword as a combat dagger, and a bolt pistol that fires heavy bolter rounds, grav harnesses to stealth glide in, and/or grappling hooks to move quickly through terrain. Not to mention their electroshock grenades blocking units ability to overwatch as they charge in.

i got bored in making my sergeant for a squad and magnetized both his arms, so can either go dual pistols, or dual blades for Show.
My Ons and Offs!

CopperLily

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on July 06, 2018, 12:17:33 PM
Oh yeh. the Raptor chapter is awesome like that. the "Get Shit Done" guys.

And lets be honest... People forgot the term warcrime about 39000 years ago in 40k...

I do really like reivers though. Stealth infiltration then mixed with sonic amplifiers to blast out enemy ears with their warcrys. then using what most people would consider a sword as a combat dagger, and a bolt pistol that fires heavy bolter rounds, grav harnesses to stealth glide in, and/or grappling hooks to move quickly through terrain. Not to mention their electroshock grenades blocking units ability to overwatch as they charge in.

i got bored in making my sergeant for a squad and magnetized both his arms, so can either go dual pistols, or dual blades for Show.

I *hate* Reivers, because with two wounds my Howling Banshees can't just cut through them like ribbons.

TheLaughingOne

... i had a lis. like a top 10 "boo hoo" gifs... but then i got distracted, for like... an attasecond and forgot what i was doing (i blame the weird gif of salvador dali's mustache pulling his eyes out of their sockets and then switching them around). Then i got distracted more and fogot i had a reply i was working on... ... So now i got nothing. Sorry.

I like reivers though, they are one of the few generally effective primaris guys out there aside from hellblasters and inceptors. they take a good bit more work and planning to properly use, but effective when you do. worked well to tie up my friends leman russ and carve the fuck outta their paint in one game..

"They charge from behind cover. no overwatch for you!"

"Even still, they are gonna have to roll really well to do any dama- Holy fuck thats a lot of sixes."

got them positioned so technically he couldnt fall back as would involve moving through a unit. they didnt manage to kill him, but tied up his tank long enough for ome of my heavies to lay some spank on the field and then get into position to nuke said tank.

And fluff wise i like them as well! Specially with the Blood angels who are big on honorable combat and all.. but are secretely jealous of reivers being able to cut loose and go wild.
My Ons and Offs!

TheLaughingOne

So...

I ordered a new laptop, and am doing my own decorations for it. And im going a 40k theme, and am looking for some help...

First, i dont suppose any of you know where one can find a clear picture of the "order of ollanius pius" is? Or maybe some good banners of him? Friend wants to order a custom skin for his laptop.

And ive checked ebay... but anybody know where one could find good purity seals? Like life size ones. I found a few with good seal patterns ive put bids on, im hoping i can reverse cast them to make a mould to do my own with. I have some experience with casting metal, mainly aluminium and silver, but think i could make a pretty decent set, further on some cheap but sturdy cloth and a friend who does caligraphy could do the flappy bit!

If anybody knows a good priced place selling seals or something that coukd be used to make them would be appreciated!
My Ons and Offs!

Idej

Unfortunately my search has been in vain as I didn't find any good looking ones for a reasonable price.  Sorry about that :(

I am however amped up about Kill Team!!!!