A interest call: 3.5 DnD Unique Devil/Demon Campaign in Hell/Abyss (closed FULL)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, December 08, 2011, 06:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

If I focus on breath attack, I could do some pretty good damage.

Are we stuck in our base creatures shapes? I'm skimming through the thread looking for anything on that, but so far haven't seen a confirmation one way or another.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kunoichi

Well, as a unique devil or demon, you can decide what your base shape looks like, but shapeshifting from that base form to another is disallowed.  The basic idea is that this is a monstrous campaign, and we're meant to be playing physically-monstrous characters.

Hence why our current character lineup includes a tentacle monster and a floating head. ^^

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 10, 2011, 09:55:18 PM
xD Perhaps, but with the right feat and spell choices, you can still be pretty dangerous.

Hmm.  Having looked through Complete Arcane again, I can't help but want to do something with an Elemental Monolith.  They're all CR 17 and 36 HD, and they're gargantuan in size, so some rather interesting things could be done with one...

Since you could tailor their appearance to be whatever you like they would end up very strong and hunky <3
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

SomeGuy

Kunoichi

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on December 10, 2011, 10:15:40 PM
Since you could tailor their appearance to be whatever you like they would end up very strong and hunky <3

Especially with the War Hulk prestige class. ;D

So, would you prefer Air, Earth, Fire, or Water?

Quote from: SomeGuy on December 10, 2011, 10:15:50 PM
Hey, that's two tentacle monsters and a floating head.

Ah, right, my mistake.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 10, 2011, 10:13:49 PM
Well, as a unique devil or demon, you can decide what your base shape looks like, but shapeshifting from that base form to another is disallowed.  The basic idea is that this is a monstrous campaign, and we're meant to be playing physically-monstrous characters.

Hence why our current character lineup includes a tentacle monster and a floating head. ^^

Ah, but what about abilities that depend on physical form? If I choose my huge sized black dragon to look like a medium sized human with no wings/claws/tail/fangs, do I lose his natural attacks and benefits from size? Or will the changed appearance not affect the stats?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

SomeGuy

Kunoichi

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 10, 2011, 10:22:00 PM
Ah, but what about abilities that depend on physical form? If I choose my huge sized black dragon to look like a medium sized human with no wings/claws/tail/fangs, do I lose his natural attacks and benefits from size? Or will the changed appearance not affect the stats?

Well, there are limits on changing your appearance. ^^; If you're Huge in size, for example, you still have to be Huge in appearance.  You can be more humanoid, rather than draconic, though, or give yourself feathered wings, or make yourself an eastern-style dragon...  Basically anything that wouldn't have an effect on your stats.

ShadowFox89

Hmm... I must dig through my books and think upon this more. I shall return, possibly with an entirely new concept.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 10, 2011, 10:19:56 PM
Especially with the War Hulk prestige class. ;D

So, would you prefer Air, Earth, Fire, or Water?

Consider that I live underwater....

Also do we have 2 or 3 tentacle monsters since I have tentacles too? The tentacles though are more dressing than main dish for me. Kunoichi did you notice how close our characters ended up being? Both advanced undead teplates (vampire + vampire lord vs  lich + demilich), both using a fallen angel as a base creature (though brachina its ancestral), both sla users, we even have the same cha and chose to dip 1 level into cleric.

SomeGuy

Updated to something besides a rough draft I did in notepad.  ;)

Also I imagine the strength score on an elemental monolith based creature with warhulk levels will be pretty impressive.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Druth, Paragon Half-Farspawn Half-Minotaur Choker of Legend, Rogue 4
Size/Type: Large Outsider
Hit Dice: 7d8+4d6+396 [468]
Initiative: +18
Speed: 150ft, 150ft fly (average)
Armor Class: 83 (-1 Size, +1 Dodge, +14 Dex, +22 Natural, +8 Armor, +5 Deflection, +12 Insight, +12 Luck)
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+47
Attack: Tentacle +70 (2d6+54+1 Vile)
Full Attack: 4 Tentacles +70/+70/+70/+70/+70 (2d6+54+1 Vile) & Gore +67 (1d8+39+1 Vile) & Bite +67 (1d8+54+1 Vile) & 2 Wing Slams +67 (1d6+39+1 Vile)
Space/Reach: 10ft/20ft
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Constrict (1d3+3), Spell-Like Abilities, Sneak Attack, Breath Weapon, True Strike 1/day, Empathy, Alternate Forms
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Blindsight 60ft, Scent, Spell Resistance 52, Fast Healing 20, Damage Reduction 10/Epic, Resistance 10: Fire & Cold, Immunities: Poison & Acid & Electricity & Mind-Affecting Effects, Permanent Haste, Trapfinding, Evasion, Uncanny Dodge
Saves: +53 Fortitude, +44 Reflex, +45 Will
Abilities: Strength: 62(68), Dexterity: 32(38), Constitution: 52(58), Intelligence 19(25), Wisdom 38(44), Charisma 26(32)
Skills: Appraise +26, Climb +61, Disable Device +26, Escape Artist +34, Forgery +21, Hide +37, Listen +40, Move Silently +41, Knowledge: The Planes +22, Open Lock +34, Search +29, Spot +40, Tumble +24
Feats: Improved Initiative (B), Multi-Attack (B), Track (B), Improved Natural Attack: Tentacles (B), Alertness (B) Lightning Reflexes, Stealthy, Iron Will, Weapon Focus: Tentacles, Vile Natural Attack
CR: 27
Equipment: 0 Gold
Amulet of Mighty Fists & Natural Armor +5
Bracers of Armor +8
Belt of Magnificence +6
Buffeting Wings
Fanged Mask
Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting
Manual of Gainful Exercise +3
Manual of Quickness of Action +1
Vest of Resistance +5

Improved Grab (Ex) To use this ability, Druth must hit a Gargantuan or smaller opponent with a tentacle attack. He can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If he wins the grapple check, he establishes a hold and can constrict. Druth receive a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks, which is already included in the statistics block.

Quickness (Su) Although not particularly dexterous, Druth is supernaturally quick. He can take an extra standard action or move action during his turn each round.

Constrict (Ex) Druth deals 1d8+62 points of damage with a successful grapple check against a Gargantuan or smaller creature. Because he seizes his victim by the neck, a creature in Druth’s grasp cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.

True Strike (Su) Once per day, Druth can make a normal attack with a +20 insight bonus on a single attack roll. Druth is not affected by the miss chance that applies to attacks against a concealed target.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp) Ati-Will- Empathy; 3/day- Greater Dispel Magic, Haste, See Invisibility, Blur, Blink; 1/day- Touch of Idiocy, Stinking Cloud, Greater Invisibility, Telekinesis

Breath Weapon (Su) Every 1d4 rounds, Druth can use a breath weapon (15-foot cone, 3d6 Acid Damage) A target can make a Reflex save (DC 37) for half damage.

Evasion (Ex) If Druth makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if Druth is wearing light armor or no armor. If helpless Druth does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Trap Sense (Ex)  Druth gains an intuitive sense that alerts him to danger from traps, giving him a +2 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex) Druth can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Alternate Forms (Su) Druth can assume the form of an adult male elf of fey-like appearance.

Kunoichi

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on December 10, 2011, 10:39:11 PM
Consider that I live underwater....

Also do we have 2 or 3 tentacle monsters since I have tentacles too? The tentacles though are more dressing than main dish for me. Kunoichi did you notice how close our characters ended up being? Both advanced undead teplates (vampire + vampire lord vs  lich + demilich), both using a fallen angel as a base creature (though brachina its ancestral), both sla users, we even have the same cha and chose to dip 1 level into cleric.

Alright, Water it is. ;D I wonder if the War Hulk's rock-throwing ability can be used to throw ships?

Wow, our characters do have a number of similarities.  Funny how that turned out...  Of course, they look pretty distinct from one another visually, so it should make for an interesting dynamic between the two of them. ^^

ShadowFox89

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on December 10, 2011, 10:39:11 PM
Also do we have 2 or 3 tentacle monsters since I have tentacles too?

Should I get Ulitharid Illithid (Lords of Madness) and make it 3-4? Dragon might end up being tricky to work around with how I initially wanted to go...

Step 1: Ulitharid Illithid (CR 12 base)
Step 2: Pseudonatural Creature Template (CR +2) Gotta drop this, realized it drops intelligence to 3. Maybe replace with half-Farspawn to increase total CR to 27 at the end.
Step 3: Shadow Template (CR +1)
Step 4: This depends. If allowed, Unholy Scion (which is usually restricted to humanoids) or Half-Fiend if not. +3 CR either way
Step 5: 8 levels of Warblade (effectively a +8 CR). Up to CR26 at this point.

Gives me a nice little nightmarish creature. Unfortunately, no way for immortality at this point. Maybe sucking out the brain of Boccob ^_^'
Call me Shadow
My A/A

SomeGuy

Speaking of visually distinct, imagining all the characters sitting around a meeting table is fairly amusing.

Kunoichi

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 10, 2011, 10:53:22 PM
Should I get Ulitharid Illithid (Lords of Madness) and make it 3-4? Dragon might end up being tricky to work around with how I initially wanted to go...

Step 1: Ulitharid Illithid (CR 12 base)
Step 2: Pseudonatural Creature Template (CR +2)
Step 3: Shadow Template (CR +1)
Step 4: This depends. If allowed, Unholy Scion (which is usually restricted to humanoids) or Half-Fiend if not. +3 CR either way
Step 5: 8 levels of Warblade (effectively a +8 CR). Up to CR26 at this point.

Gives me a nice little nightmarish creature. Unfortunately, no way for immortality at this point. Maybe sucking out the brain of Boccob ^_^'

xD You should go Illithid Savant (Savage Species) in place of Warblade.  Then you really can become a god by sucking out Boccob's brain.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 10, 2011, 10:55:27 PM
xD You should go Illithid Savant (Savage Species) in place of Warblade.  Then you really can become a god by sucking out Boccob's brain.

That looks tempting. Suck out brains to gain abilities, yum.

edIt: And here's what my ability scores would look like under that setup:

Str 18; Dex 18; Con 22; Int 27; Wis 24; Cha 30

Plus a load of special stuff.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 10, 2011, 10:55:27 PM

I heavily considered that class and using an Illithid (possibly Alhoon), Mostly I didn't since assume clas feature would have given me massive spellcasting capeability in a no spell-casting game.  Though suddenly the thought of playing an elder brain is amusing.

Kunoichi

ShadowFox89

A brain in a jar with a flesh golem named Bob?

A long time ago, in a message board far far away, someone once had a character like that.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kunoichi

Well, PaleEnchantress's physically-powerful studmuffin is done.  Now all he needs is a name...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
(Insert Name Here), Water Monolith of Legend War Hulk 8
Size/Type: Gargantuan Outsider (Augmented Elemental, Water)
Hit Dice: 36d8+8d12+[663] (855)
Initiative: +26
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), swim 120 ft.
Armor Class: 45 (-4 size, +6 Dex, +25 natural, +8 armor), touch 12, flat-footed 39
Base Attack/Grapple: +27/+67
Attack: Slam +60 (6d8+36)
Full Attack: 7 slams +60/+60/+60/+56/+51/+51/+51 (6d8+36)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Drench, raging blood (acid), vortex, water mastery
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., damage reduction 15/--, elemental traits, fast healing 5, haste
Saves: Fort +46, Ref +32, Will +25
Abilities: Str 66(72), Dex 30(36), Con 35(41), Int 14(20), Wis 17(23), Cha 21(27)
Skills: Intimidate +55 (+4 for each size category larger than target), Jump +78, Swim +86, Use Rope +31
Feats: Improved Initiative (B), Multiattack (B), Toughness (B), Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Trip, Knock-Down, Knockback, Shock Trooper, Rapidstrike, Improved Rapidstrike, Improved Natural Attack (Slam)
Environment: --
Organization: --
Challenge Rating: 27
Equipment: 760,000 - 760,000 = 0 gp
Amulet of Natural Armor +5 -50,000
Belt of Battle and Magnificence +6 -218,000
Bracers of Armor +8 -64,000
Cloak of Resistance +5 -25,000
+5 Eager Ethereal Reaver Warning Necklace of Natural Attacks (both slams) -400,000
Third Eye Clarity -3,000

Drench (Ex): A water monolith's touch puts out torches, campfires, exposed lanterns, and other open flames of non-magical origin if they are Huge or smaller.  The creature can dispel magical fire it touches, as if using greater dispel magic (caster level 20th).

Fast Healing (Ex): The water monolith regains lost hit points at the rate of 5 per round.  Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation, and it does not allow the water monolith to regrow or reattach lost body parts.

Haste (Su): The creature is supernaturally quick.  Each round, when making a full attack, it can make one extra attack using its full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation.

Massive Sweeping Boulder (Ex): The water monolith is able to throw his rocks with such force that they affect two adjacent squares. (The second square must be farther away from the water monolith than the first--they cannot be equidistant from him.) Make one attack roll and apply the result to each target.  Only the first creature can be subject to damage from a critical hit or a sneak attack.
   As with mighty swing, the water monolith must have line of effect from one square to the next.

Mighty Rock Throwing (Ex): The water monolith has a powerful rock throwing ability.  The character can throw rocks that deal 2d8 points of damage with a range increment of 50 feet. (Like all thrown weapons, they have a maximum range of five range increments.)  The water monolith uses his Strength modifier instead of his Dexterity modifier on the attack roll.  The rock must weigh approximately 50 pounds.

Mighty Swing (Ex): The water monolith is able to make great, sweeping swings with its slam attack.  As part of its attack, the water monolith can choose three squares adjacent to one another (he must threaten all of them).  His attack applies to all creatures in those squares.  Make one attack roll and apply that roll as an attack against each defender.  If the war hulk uses a special attack (such as disarm, trip, or sunder), this special attack affects only the first target; the other creatures are attacked normally.
   A mighty swing is a standard action.  Thus, the character can move and make a mighty swing or (if he can make multiple attacks) make multiple mighty swings in a single round.
   Walls and similar obstacles can block a mighty swing.  Start with one square that the water monolith threatens.  Each successive square chosen must be adjacent to the previous square and have line of effect from that square.  Two squares separated by a wall, for instance, can't be chosen as adjacent squares for a great swing.
   The water monolith may skip creatures, attacking only those he wants to.  For example, if there are three creatures in a row--an enemy, an ally, and another enemy--the water monolith can choose those three squares for the mighty swing but strike only the two enemies.
   If the water monolith drops one of his foes with a mighty swing, he may make a cleave attack normally.  However, he may do so only once for every time he swings, even if he drops more than one foe.

No Time to Think (Ex): The water monolith is considered to have 0 ranks in all Intelligence-, Wisdom-, and Charisma-based skills (whether or not he has bought ranks in them previously).  The only exception is the Intimidate skill, which works normally.

Raging Blood (Su): Each time damage is dealt to the water monolith with a piercing or slashing attack, its blood sprays outward in a 5-foot cone, dealing 1d4 points of acid damage to al within range (no saving throw).  The water monolith is not harmed by its own blood.

Vortex (Su): A water monolith can transform itself into a whirlpool at will as a standard action, provided it is underwater.  It can remain in that form as long as it likes.  In vortex form, a monolith can move through the water or along the bottom at its swim speed.
   The vortex is 10 feet wide at the base, up to 50 feet wide at the top, and up to 80 feet tall.  The monolith controls the exact height, but it must be at least 20 feet.
   A water monolith's movement while in vortex form does not provoke attacks of opportunity, even if the monolith enters the space another creature occupies.  Another creature might be caught in the vortex if it touches or enters the vortex, or if the monolith moves into or through the creature's space.
   Huge or smaller creatures take damage when caught in a vortex and may be swept up by it.  An affected creature must succeed on a DC 59 Reflex save when it comes into contact with a vortex or take 4d6 points of damage.  It must also succeed on a second DC 59 Reflex save or be picked up bodily and held suspended in the powerful currents, automatically taking the indicated damage each round.  An affected creature is allowed a Reflex save each round to escape the vortex.  The creature still takes damage, but can leave if the save is successful.  The save DC is Strength-based.
   A creature trapped in a vortex cannot move except to go where the water monolith carries it or to escape the vortex.  It can otherwise act normally, but must make a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level) to cast a spell.  Creatures caught in the vortex take a -4 penalty to Dexterity and a -2 penalty on attack rolls.  A monolith can have only as many creatures trapped inside the vortex at one time as will fit inside the vortex's volume.
   A water monolith can eject any carried creatures whenever it wishes, depositing them wherever the vortex happens to be.  A summoned monolith always ejects trapped creatures before returning to its home plane.
   If the vortex's base touches the surface beneath a body of water, it creates a swirling cloud of debris.  This cloud is centered on the elemental and has a diameter equal to half the vortex's height.  The cloud obscures all vision, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet.  Creatures 5 feet away have concealment, while those farther away have total concealment.  Those caught in the cloud must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell.
   A water monolith in vortex form cannot make slam attacks and does not threated the area around it.

Water Mastery (Ex): A water monolith gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls if both it and its opponent are touching water.  If the opponent or the elemental are touching the ground, the monolith takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls and damage rolls.
   A water monolith can easily affect the movement of ships in any squares it threatens as a full-round action, overturning any craft up to 180 feet long, or halting and holding motionless a ship as long as 360 feet.  Larger ships can be reduced to half speed for as long as they remain threatened by the monolith.

Skills: A water monolith has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard.  It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered.  It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

PaleEnchantress

SomeGuy

About Studmuffin the Water Monolith- I'm fairly certain you don't gain iterative attacks from BAB on natural weapons. Unless I'm missing something and the additional attacks are from something else, in which case carry on.

Kimera

Xerial

Much as it pains me, I think I'm going to have to ditch the Half-Brass Golem template. The -6 to INT and CHA, is kind of massive, and negates almost all the other template bonuses for those stats.

Shadow, no need to worry about being the simplest setup. I think no matter what I do the concept I'm rocking will be the most underpowered. My base has absolutely abysmal stats. Like seriously sad.  Still makes me grin, though, considering what's being used for bases so far.

Kunoichi

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on December 11, 2011, 02:42:38 AM
Sexy, what do you think of Hulking hurler?

*checks Complete Warrior*

Well, I'd have to rework my feats a little, but I could fit in all three levels...  Think it would be an improvement?

Quote from: SomeGuy on December 11, 2011, 04:49:57 AM
About Studmuffin the Water Monolith- I'm fairly certain you don't gain iterative attacks from BAB on natural weapons. Unless I'm missing something and the additional attacks are from something else, in which case carry on.

Yeah, Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike are awesome like that. ^^ Plus the Water Monolith started out with 2 slams for its full attack, and Haste adds one more.