News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Let's Play Pokemon: Volt White! (Warning: lots of images)

Started by Kunoichi, March 01, 2012, 05:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

Let's Play Pokemon: Volt White! - Part 5: On the Road to Striaton City

Okay, I'm all packed up and ready to move on from Accumula Town.

...I think I'll look around first.

Huh.  Wonder how I'm supposed to get to those?

Oh well.  Wheeeeeee!

Hmm?  I wonder who's calling this time?

Oh, hi Mom!  I'm doing good.

Yeah, me and Kenny are awesome. 8-)

Oh, and I guess the rest of the team's good, too.

Gah!

...Don't sneak up on me like that! :-\

Yep, my Mom is still awesome. 8-)

Cool! ^^ Though, in retrospect, it probably would have been better to get these earlier, when you gave me the bike, and then get the Bicycle now...

Huh, I guess you can occasionally find cool stuff when cleaning up old messes.

Yeah, I know. :-)

Hmm.  Put these Running Shoes on, tie up the laces, and...

Swoosh!  Into the tall grass!

Weedle, the Hairy Bug Pokemon
Weedle has an extremely acute sense of smell. It is capable of distinguishing its favorite kinds of leaves from those it dislikes just by sniffing with its big red proboscis (nose). It eats its weight in leaves every day. The barb on top of its head secretes a strong poison. It fends off attackers with this two-inch poison barb. A common sight in forests and grassy areas, its brightly-colored body is intended to warn off its enemies.

Sir Stinger's moves when caught were Poison Sting, a weak Poison-type attack that has a chance to poison the opponent, String Shot, a move that lowers the opponent's speed, Bug Bite, a decently-strong Bug-type attack that will also eat the opponent's berry, if it's holding one, and Poison Tail, a decently-strong Poison-type attack that has a chance to poison the opponent.

Sir Stinger's ability was Shield Dust.  Shield Dust blocks added effects from attacks from taking place.  For example, Bite would not cause Sir Stinger to flinch, he couldn't get paralyzed by a Thundershock (though Thunder Wave could do it, since Paralysis is the primary effect there), he couldn't get frozen by an Ice Beam, etc.

Huh, looks like somebody dropped something.

>>

<<

Yep.  Mine now. >:)

Kricketot, the Cricket Pokemon
Its legs are short. Whenever it stumbles, its stiff antennae clack with a xylophone-like sound. It chats with others using the sounds of its colliding antennae. These sounds are fall hallmarks.
Credit goes to Maverick Hunter Cake for the name.

Chopin's moves are Growl, Bide, Struggle Bug, and Bug Bite.  Bide is a move where the Pokemon 'saves up energy' for two turns, then does damage equal to double what it receives over the course of those turns.  Struggle Bug does about the same damage as Bug Bite, but it's a special move, rather than a physical one, and instead of eating the opponent's held berry, it lowers their special attack by one stage.

Chopin's ability is Run Away, which guarantees escape when you choose to run away from wild Pokemon.  I should note that having this ability means that his evolved form will get access to something potentially quite powerful...

...Really?  That's how this works? >:( That's stupid.  You're stupid.

Your owl is stupid, too.

Also, your worm doesn't look very bright.

And the less said about your rat, the better.

As you can see, Pluck is basically the Flying-type version of Bug Bite.

I chose to replace Sand Attack with Pluck because Big Pecks needs more Flying-type moves.

...Yeah, good luck with that.

Ah, helpful advice! ^^ I'm going to put that to use right away!

The roads in this country suck. >:(

Hey, lady, do we really have to go through all this-

...Nuts. :-(

Well, let's get this over with, then...

Puppy > Raccoon.

Sea Otter > Tiny Bird

Water > Cats

Poison Tail at work, ladies and gentlemen.

End of battle.

...But what's this?

Kakuna, the Cocoon Pokemon
Kakuna remains virtually immobile as it clings to a tree. However, on the inside, it is extremely busy as it prepares for its coming evolution. This is evident from how hot the shell becomes to the touch. While awaiting evolution, it hides from predators under leaves and in the nooks of branches. Although it is a cocoon, it can move a little. It can extend its poison barb if it is attacked.

Upon evolving, Sir Stinger's ability changed from Shield Dust to Shed Skin.  Whenever the Pokemon that has Shed Skin is afflicted with a non-volatile status ailment (burn, freeze, paralysis, poison, or sleep), there's a 30% chance that Shed Skin will activate and cure the condition.

Moving on...

Mankey, the Pig Monkey Pokemon
An agile Pokémon that lives in treetop colonies. If one becomes enraged, the whole colony rampages for no reason. When Mankey starts shaking and its nasal breathing turns rough, it's a sure sign that it is becoming angry. However, because it goes into a towering rage almost instantly, it is impossible for anyone to flee its wrath.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure monkey. ^^

Jojo knows the moves Scratch, Leer, Low Kick, and Focus Energy.  Low Kick is a Fighting-type move whose damage varies, based on the weight of the target.  The bigger the enemy, the harder they'll hit the floor when hit with Low Kick.  Given that we're currently facing tiny little bugs and birds...

Focus Energy, on the other hand, is useful.  It quadruples the chance of a critical hit occurring.

Jojo's ability is Defiant.  Whenever one of his stats is lowered by an opponent, it raises his attack by two stages.  A rather fun ability to have.

Patrat, the Scout Pokemon
Extremely cautious, they take shifts to maintain a constant watch of their nest. They feel insecure without a lookout. Using food stored in cheek pouches, they can keep watch for days. They use their tails to communicate with others.
Credit goes to DarkWorld0BrightHope for the name.

Patsy's moves are Tackle, Leer, and Bite, standard starting moves for a standard early-game rodent.

Patsy's ability is Analytic.  If a Pokemon with Analytic goes after its opponent, the power of the move it uses is boosted by 30%.  Unfortunately, you usually want to go first in battle...

Welp, time to bite the bullet and go around.  Maybe I'll even get to go through this tall grass without running into any-

Poochyena, the Bite Pokemon
At first sight, Poochyena takes a bite at anything that moves. Poochyena is an omnivore - it will eat anything. This Pokémon chases after prey until the victim becomes exhausted. However, it may turn tail if the prey strikes back. A distinguishing feature is how large its fangs are compared to its body. This Pokémon tries to intimidate its foes by making the hair on its tail bristle out.
Credit goes to Maverick Hunter Cake for the name.

-thing.  Okay, never mind...

Spike's moves are Tackle and Howl.  Yes, in spite of being called the Bite Pokemon, he doesn't actually know the move Bite.  Howl is a move which raises the user's attack by one stage.

Spike's ability is Quick Feet.  Whenever he's afflicted with a status ailment, his speed stat will be increased by 50%.  Also, it prevents the drop in speed from being paralyzed.

Huh.  I wonder what's over here?

Oh, it's more free stuff! ;D

An Everstone is an item that can be given to a Pokemon to prevent it from evolving.  An Oval Stone, on the other hand, is an item that's needed to make a certain Pokemon evolve...

Hey, I can see that guy up on the hill in Accumula Town from here.  Hello, Mr. Whatever-your-name-is!

Huh, I wonder if anything else will happened on this Route?

...I shouldn't have asked. >>;

Now, I want to level up Sir Stinger some more, but he's injured at the moment, and I'm being stingy with potions.  So watch me adopt a time-honored strategy of training that I once saw on TV...

...Unfortunately, it didn't work so well for training Sir Stinger.

Askew got some nice action, though.  The foe's Bidoof had an ability called Simple.  Whenever its stats rose, they always rose by two stages, and whenever they lowered, they always lowered by two stages.  Askew's Tail Whip actually came in handy here.

Hairy Bug vs. Cocoon!

...And Poison Touch at work.

Didn't save that Weedle from a Wing Attack, though.  Hawk is both fast and powerful.

Yeah, I suppose...

Anyway, whoo!  Finally out of the tall grass!  Now to just hurry on to the Pokemon Center before anyone else-

...I've really got to stop tempting fate like that. >:(

I'm not really in the mood, Bianca.

Ack, puppy dog eyes!  Fine, fine!

And switcheroo...

Dog > Cat

:o Sudden reversal!

Cat > Bird :-(

Again, though, Water beats Cat. ;D

As you can see, I'm learning from Bianca's tricks. O:)

Probably.  I mean, you got Kenny from full health all the way down to the red with a lucky crit, but he is still faster.

And Kenny has made up for his earlier, shameful defeat. 8-)

Water Sport is a move that halves the power of Fire-type moves that attack the pokemon who uses it.  Not exactly necessary for Kenny, but he's got an open slot on his move list anyway, so...

Ah, Bianca.  Always willing to celebrate a friend's victory, even when she's the one the friend won against. :-) Such a sweet girl...

Darn right.

Good luck~!

Now, on to that Pokemon Center!

I just go in, heal my Pokemon, and...

...What, really?  So if I have all eight badges and am using Ultra Balls on everything, I could go all the way back to Accumula Town and still buy Ultra Balls, then go around throwing them at Pidgeys for fun?

How convenient.

Okay, back out into the wild...

Wurmple, the Worm Pokemon
Wurmple is targeted by Swellow as prey. This Pokémon will try to resist by pointing the spikes on its rear at the attacking predator. It will weaken the foe by leaking poison from the spikes. Using the spikes on its rear end, Wurmple peels the bark off trees and feeds on the sap that oozes out. This Pokémon's feet are tipped with suction pads that allow it to cling to glass without slipping.
Credit goes to Gensokian for the name

Hermy the Wormy knows Tackle, String Shot, Poison Sting, and Bug Bite.

Hermy's ability is Shield Dust.  As you can see, Wurmple is mostly just a cooler-looking Weedle, though its evolved forms are certainly quite different.

Again, Poison Tail at work, ladies and gentlemen.  I have to admit, though, this certainly made Purrloin easier to catch.

Last Pokeball of the day, so...

Purrloin, the Devious Pokemon
Its cute act is a ruse. When victims let down their guard, they find their items taken. They steal from people for fun, but their victims can't help but forgive them. It attacks with sharp claws.

I think it's a fitting name. ;)

Catwoman's moves are Scratch, Growl, and Assist.  Assist is a move that picks out another move at random from the Pokemon on your team, and has the user use that move, instead.  A bit chancy, but it can add an air of unpredictability to things.

Catwoman's ability, appropriately enough, is called Limber.  It prevents her from being paralyzed.

Now then, I just have to go out and fight something else, and then...

Beedrill, the Poison Bee Pokemon
Beedrill is extremely territorial. For safety reasons, no one should ever approach its nest. If angered, they will attack in a furious swarm. It has 3 poisonous stingers on its forelegs and its tail. They are used to jab its enemy repeatedly. Its best attack involves flying around at high speed, striking with its powerful poison stingers, then flying off.

Tada!  From cute little worm to buzzing death-bee, and all in a single day!  And having evolved, Sir Stinger's ability has changed yet again!

His new ability, Sniper, causes critical hits to do triple damage, rather than double.

Fury Attack is a Bug-type move with low power that hits 2-5 times per use.  It's not that useful, but there's an ability out there called Skill Link that would cause it to always hit the maximum number of times.

Cross Poison, as you can see, is quite the powerful move.  Definitely a trade up from Poison Sting.

Rage is a low-powered attack.  If the Pokemon using it is hit in the same turn that it uses Rage, its Attack increases by one stage.  Not very good for a Bug-type like Sir Stinger.

Anyway, back to Striaton City again...  Hmm.  Hang on, wasn't there someone here that Professor Juniper wanted me to visit?  Now what was her name again...

Ah, right, Fennel!  Says so right here on the name plate.  Along with a creepy-looking notice tacked on, asking for volunteers for something...

...I knew it.  Juniper's sending us to be test subjects in some crazy experiment! D:

Run!  Run for your liiiiiiiiives!

Okay... phew... I'm out of the building...  Oh, hey, what's this bald guy doing way over here?

...That was oddly nice of him. :o

It's just a pity I don't have a fishing rod. :-(

Hmm, I wonder what else there is around this town...

Ooh, nice!  And hey, look, another path out of town!

Eh, I think I can handle it.  I've got a killer bee and a sea otter on my team, after all. O8)

Wha-hey!  You don't have to shove me, you jerk!

Stupid old man...  Not letting anyone pass who doesn't have a gym badge...  Strangling the local economy with his antiquated notions of strength and experience... >:(

...Oh, hey, a kindly old couple.  Maybe they can brighten up my day.

Okay, I feel vindicated now. ^^ Girl power!

...Huh.  So does that mean that me and that N weirdo would make a good couple?

Well, whatever.  I guess I should make some preparations to tackle this town's gym leader.

Ahhh, perfect.  It's time to train. 8-)

Remaining Wild Pokemon of Route 2 to be captured:

Caterpie (10%), Meowth (5%), Spearow (5%)

I'll probably need at least two more Wurmples, too, since they have two possible evolutions, and it's completely random which one you'll get.

BraveEarth

Quote from: Kunoichi on March 08, 2012, 08:19:51 PM

...Huh.  So does that mean that me and that N weirdo would make a good couple?

:o What are you doing?! Don't give the shippers more of an excuse nuuuuuuu! (J/k it's a cute pairing)

Gensokian

Phew, managed to read it all, finally...man, you should make shorter segments so those of us with short attention spans don't feel like this is such a chore. @w@

But, yay, my name was used, and Beedrill is one of my favorite bugs (even though I'm afraid of real bees). Make sure it kicks some major ass! ^w^

Kunoichi

Well, it is true that the updates have been gradually getting longer, I think. ^^; I probably should try cutting them back to something a bit shorter.

Butterfree's one of my favorite, interestingly enough. :P But sure, I'll see what I can do to make Sir Stinger look awesome.

Kunoichi

Let's Play Pokemon: Volt White! - Part 6: More Battles

So, time for this novice trainer to do some training.

Help!  I'm being attacked by a cheerleader! ::)

Starting off this fight with the ol' switcheroo...

Hawk's kung-fu grip made short work of the opponent. O8)

Switcheroo tactic: Successful.

Big Pecks took quite a bit of damage when it was his turn to fight, however.

Switcheroo tactic: Still successful. 8-)

So, using that tactic again, it's Scamp's turn to battle...

Puppy > Kitty

And again, the Switcheroo tactic is a success. ^^

Hmm, Chopin's been leveled up pretty well by now, though.  I think I'll let him fight this battle alone.

Victory! ;D Though, it doesn't hurt that the opponent wasted all her time using Tail Whip and Splash.  Come to think of it, I'm not actually sure Azurill knows any other moves...

Yes. 8-) Yes I do.

Kricketune, the Cricket Pokemon
It crosses its knifelike arms in front of its chest when it cries. By allowing its cry to resonate in the hollow of its belly, it produces a captivating sound. It can compose melodies ad lib. It signals its emotions with its melodies. Scientists are studying these melodic patterns. There is a village that hosts a contest based on the amazingly variable cries of this Pokémon.

Having evolved to his second stage of life, Chopin's ability, Run Away, has also changed.  Now, he possesses an ability called Technician.  Technician is pretty useful, because whenever he uses a move with a base power of 60 or less, the power of the move is increased by 1.5x.  This is particularly useful in light of the first move he learns...

Fury Cutter, as you can see, is a Bug-type Physical move with a base power of 20.  Each time it is used consecutively, however, Fury Cutter's power doubles.  The first hit is 20, the second hit is 40, the third hit is 80, and then the fourth hit with the move maxes out at 160, which can be quite awesome.

Add in that Technician ability, which increases the first two hits to 30 and 60, respectively, and you have quite the powerful attack routine, if you can get the time to set it up.

...Yeah, I don't think we're ever going to see one another again, lady.

It's a pity we don't know some sort of cutting move.  Anyway, moving on...

...This is an in-joke of some sort, isn't it? :-\

Fun fact: If you go into the game's code and take a look at Joey's Rattata's stats?  It really is in the top percentage of Rattata out there.  This makes it an especially potent opponent, as Kenny is finding out first-hand.

See?  Joey wasted a turn using Tail Whip, and he's still coming out ahead.

So I figure it's time to use a little strategy and put Hawk in.  Unfortunately, the Rattata turns out to be faster.  It quickly reveals that it knows Flame Wheel and...

...One-shotted.

Quick, Big Pecks!  Use your big pecs to whip up a Razor Wind!

And thus the hero of the hour reaps his rewards.

I had Big Pecks forget Gust because it's a Special move, and his stats are geared more towards Physical moves.  Quick Attack is the same power as Gust, plus it has the bonus of getting increased priority.  It should be quite useful in the future.

Well, I know someone who probably hasn't even heard of Team Plasma. :P

Now then, I wonder what this lady over here wants?

Hmm?  Oh, that would be Kenny the Oshawott, ma'am.

Pan-what now?

Uh...  Okay, sure.

Just let me make a quick run back to the Pokemon Center so I can open up a space in my party for the little guy.

Oh, I get it.  Thus covering for Kenny's weakness.  Thanks, lady! ;D

Pansear, the High Temp Pokemon
This Pokémon lives in caves in volcanoes. When it is angered, the temperature of its head tuft can reach 600º F. It uses its tuft to roast berries.

Not the most original of nicknames, but I feel it fits. 8-)

And finally, some sound advice.

Now then, let's see what else I can score around here...

Ah, nice, something to sell off so I can buy Potions and Pokeballs.

Can't... reach!  Arms... not... long enough!

Oh, yeah, might as well see what all Pansear's got while I'm here...

Good girl, Scamp! ;D

Not bad, though I kinda wish we'd gotten the alternate Ability for this guy.  There aren't really any berries in the Unova region, so Gluttony is kind of useless.

Incinerate is a Fire-type move of decent power for this level.  It's a Special Attack (which is good, given FireMonkey's stats,) and when used against an opponent who is holding a berry, the berry is rendered useless by the attack.

Hone Claws is a Dark-type move that boosts the Attack and Accuracy of its user.  Needless to say, if FireMonkey becomes our main Fire-type Pokemon, this is going to be one of the first moves to go.

Anyway, now that we've got a pretty awesome spread of Pokemon, I do believe it's time to check out the local Gym...

Hmm?  What's this?

Yeah.  I've heard you can get a badger or something if you beat him in a fight.

Badgers are cool.

...They run schools for training Pokemon?

Uh...

Oh, fine.  I suppose it won't be that difficult if it's nearby.

...Uh-huh.  So, I'm guessing you're not the Gym Leader.

You're not the Gym Leader.

You're not the Gym Leader.

You're not the Gym Leader, either.

...Eh, why not?

I'm gonna have to go with Antidote.

Gee, could it be Awakening? ::)

Ah, so you're into sarcastic women, I see. :P

Ooh, nifty. ^^ Still not going out on a date with you, though.

And I believe there's only one other person in the building I haven't talked to.  That black-haired man up by the board must be the Gym Leader.

Cheren?!

Uh...  Yes?

...Don't even try to trick me into thinking you're the Gym Leader, Cheren.  I'm not going to fall for it.

...No.  No, I most certainly did not.

You don't suppose he climbed out a window or something, maybe?

Ah, a chance to erase the other shameful loss I've suffered.  Yes, I do believe I'll take you up on that offer. >:)

Oh, cheating won't save you this time, Cheren, let me assure you. >:)

Go, Kenny!

Good thing Water Gun is a Special Attack. ::)

Yeah yeah, blah blah blah!

And victory!

Snivy, eh?  And if that Starly of yours is any indication, then your Snivy probably knows some good Grass-type moves by now.

Time to see what you've got, FireMonkey!

Held items?  Wait, I seem to remember reading something about one of FireMonkey's moves...

>:)

...You don't have to act like it's an insult, Cheren. >:(

Losing to me just means I'm awesome. 8-)

Yeah, Bianca's already way ahead of you on that one, buddy.  She actually used Potions during our fight. :P

...A CD?

This is something you got via internet piracy, isn't it? >:(

Guess I'll have to make sure any cops I run across don't see this...

Oh, on that tree!  Thanks then.  I'll get right on it after I've taken down that Gym Leader.

Maybe he's back at the Gym already...

Hey, you!  You're different from the guy who was out front last time.

A Pokemon trainer who's just passing through. 8-)

Yes.

I chose Kenny the Oshawott.  He's cute, cuddly, and is good to have on your team when the summer-time water wars roll around. ;D

Well, yes, but I don't see what that has to do with any-

...What.

No.  What?  Seriously, what?!

Isn't picking your types like that cheating? >:(

It is, isn't it?! >:( Don't you run away from me!

Stupid Gym Leader jerk, as big a cheater as Cheren...  I'll show you who can cheat!

Cheren isn't the only one who can look up how to cheat online!  I'm gonna beat you at your own game!

Now then, let's see, Grass type, Grass type...  Ah!  Here we go.  Weak to Fire-type, I've got one of those.  Weak to Ice, don't have one of those.

Also weak to Bug, Flying, and Poison...

Heheheh...  Hehehehehehahah...  Ahahahah...  Mwahahahah...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

Gensokian

Well, let's look on the bright side...at least it wasn't a F.E.A.R. Rattata. >w>

And another fire-type monkey? Why try to steal Chimchar's thunder? WHY?!

Also, you're just gonna hafta realize...everyone in Pokemon cheats. Everyone. No exceptions. At all.

Kunoichi

F.E.A.R. Rattata?  I'm guessing that's a video game AI reference of some sort...

Pansear is actually part of a special elemental monkey trio.  The other two members are the Grass-type Pansage and the Water-type Panpour.  With the respective elemental stones for their types, they evolve into Simisear, Simisage, and Simipour, respectively.

Incidentally, I actually kinda wish we'd gotten a Pansage from the nice monkey lady. ^^; It might just be me, but I think Simisage looks the coolest out of the second-stages among the monkey trio.

According to the definition Mariah's using, yes, everyone cheats. :P Thankfully, the computer doesn't actually outright cheat in this game, as far as I know...

Gensokian

The F.E.A.R. Rattata is actually a strategy. It's a Rattata that's usually low leveled, egg-hatched, that knows Quick Attack, Endevour, and is holding a focus sash. The idea is that it's hit really hard, but the focus sash keeps it from fainting in just the one hit, retaining one HP. Then, it uses Endevour to lower the opponent's Pokemon to one HP, as well, then the next round, Quick Attack finishes it off.

Kunoichi

Ah, I see.  Of course, if the enemy also uses Quick Attack, or some other increased-priority move, you'll be in trouble...

Gensokian

Yep, but most of the time, when you're using this strategy, most of the higher-leveled Pokemon have opted not to keep those moves, unless they learn Extremespeed. Not too many learn that move, though.

Kunoichi

True, but I'm not necessarily talking about regular wild Pokemon and NPC trainers...

Kunoichi

Let's Play Pokemon: Volt White! - Part 7: Fine Dining at Striaton City!

Okay, I'm almost ready to face the Striaton City Gym and its cheating jerk of a Gym Leader.  I just need to level up Hermy a bit, in case something goes catastrophically wrong.  Also, it will fill up more Pokedex pages.

Silcoon, the Cocoon Pokemon
Silcoon tethers itself to a tree branch using silk to keep from falling. There, this Pokémon hangs quietly while it awaits evolution. It peers out of the silk cocoon through a small hole. Silcoon was thought to endure hunger and not consume anything before its evolution. However, it is now thought that this Pokémon slakes its thirst by drinking rainwater that collects on its silk.

Having evolved, Hermy's Ability has changed from Shield Dust to Shed Skin, same as when Sir Stinger was a Kakuna.  It also would have learned Harden as level 7, but as you can see, I managed to raise it by 3 levels at once by re-battling a trainer, so we wound up skipping over that move.  It's not a big deal, though.

Anyway, speaking of filling up Pokedex pages...

Caterpie, the Worm Pokemon
Caterpie has a voracious appetite. It can devour leaves bigger than its body right before your eyes. If you touch the feeler on top of its head, it will release a horrible stench to protect itself. Its feet have suction cups designed to stick to any surface. It crawls into foliage where it camouflages itself among leaves that are the same color as its body. It is covered with a green skin. When it grows, it sheds the skin, covers itself with silk, and becomes a cocoon.

Whoo, Godzilla monster!

Mothra Leo's moves are String Shot, Bug Bite, Struggle Bug, and Snore.  Snore is a Normal-type attack move, but it only works while the Pokemon using it is asleep.  If Mothra Leo somehow knew Rest, this could be useful, but right now it isn't.

Mothra Leo's Ability is Shield Dust.

Beautifly, the Butterfly Pokemon
Beautifly's favorite food is the sweet pollen of flowers. If you want to see this Pokémon, just leave a potted flower by an open window. Beautifly is sure to come looking for pollen. Beautifly has a long mouth like a coiled needle, which is very convenient for collecting pollen from flowers. Despite its looks, it has an aggressive nature. If disturbed while collecting pollen, it stabs victims with its long, narrow mouth to drain the victim's fluids. This Pokémon rides the spring winds as it flits around gathering pollen.

Now that he's evolved to his final form, Hermy's Ability has changed again.  No longer Shed Skin, his ability is now Swarm.  It works a lot like Kenny's Torrent, except that instead of powering up Water-type moves when the user's health is low, it powers up Bug-type moves.  Also, if a Pokemon with Swarm is in the first slot in your party, the number of encounters you'll have with Wild Pokemon increases.

Ahh, Absorb.  Weakest of the 'drain the foe's health and add half to your own' line.  Still better to have than String Shot, though.

Air Cutter's a move with decent power for the level we're currently at.  It's also much more powerful than Poison Sting, especially since Hermy doesn't get a Same-Type Ability Bonus to the latter anymore.

Of the two possible evolutionary lines for Wurmple, Beautifly is the one that focuses more on Special Attack, so ditching Tackle for Struggle Bug is a smart move.

Anyway, the team is looking good.  I think we're about ready to take on the Striaton City Gym.

Allons-y!

Huh, so they give out commemorative glasses of water to anyone challenging a Gym? Oo; Man, what a weird special promotion.

Anyway, this guy said he was here to act as a guide, so let's see what he has to say.

Yeah, I know.  That's why I've developed a special secret strategy, just for this Gym. >:)

Ah, that's useful advice.  And what does the lady behind the counter have to say?

Wait, what? :o This place is a restaurant?  What kind of a crazy Gym is this?

Oh well.  One Gym Leader battle, please!

Okay, so I just step on the correct switch, and...

Aha!  Okay, now I can-

Gah!

Hey!  This isn't what I ordered at all! >:(

Thanks to Razor Wind, Big Pecks makes quick work of Slowpoke.

Growlithe is a considerably tougher opponent, however.

Thankfully, Sir Stinger is up to the task of finishing the job.

Hmm.  Water, then Fire, then Grass...  This is going to be a pattern, isn't it? :-\ Oh well, might as well see if using the ol' switcheroo will level up Hermy by another level...

It didn't.

Skipping out on the check, I dine and dash back to the Pokemon Center, and...

I learned this one last update. :P

I'd make the obvious flirty pun here, but this isn't what I ordered, either. :-(

Grass-type never knew what hit her. 8-)

And of course, using the switcheroo pays off again.

Flame Body is an Ability possessed by some Fire-type Pokemon.  Those who attack a Pokemon with Flame Body using a Physical Attack run the risk of being burned, as Hawk just found out first-hand.  Interestingly, however, if you have a Pokemon with this ability in your party and are carrying around an egg, the egg will hatch faster from the added warmth.

Level up!

The final opponent was a Marill, but I accidentally missed getting any screenshots other than one of the end of the battle.

Chopin's Fury Cutter is fierce, once he gets it going.

No. >:( Once again, this isn't what I ordered.  No tip for you, lady.

Yeah, sure.  Just let me dash back to the Pokemon Center right quick...

And with that done, we finally make our way through to our first boss battle.  Are you all ready, men?  It's time to initiate Operation: Clean Sweep!

At last, we meet again, vile villain!  Prepare to taste justi-

!

...Were you hiding behind him this whole time?

...Great, a pretty-boy. >:( You don't have anyone else hiding behind you, do you?

And what's with all the spinning?  Did you guys choreograph this, or something?

Ah!  He must be swayed by my charming good looks and long, sexy legs! ;)

Rotation what now? ???

...Uh-huh.  I think I know where this is going.

Yeah, we went through this out front a little while ago.  Red hair for Fire, blue hair for Water, and green hair for Grass, right?  So that means I'm facing...

Yep, my sexiness is leaving him tongue-tied. ;)

Yeah, I'd have fought your Ego with my FistToTheFace. 8-)

Sure.  Don't expect me to go easy on you, just because you're hopelessly in love with me, though. >:) I've got no mercy for cheaters.

...?  This battlefield seems... strange, somehow...

...What.

...Okay, calm down, Mariah.  Just think this over.  The guy said to bring at least three Pokemon, and this is a battle where three are on the field at once.  The guy called this a Rotation Battle, so that means those two new buttons at the bottom are...

Yes!  They rotate the Pokemon that's active in the battle!  Okay, I think I've got this now!

Chopin!  Initiate Operation: Clean Sweep!

Just before the hit, the Pokemon Cilan was using rotated!  Fortunately, Chopin was faster than Chikorita, so there weren't any problems.

And fighting smart, Cilan promptly rotates back in an uninjured Pokemon to take Chopin's second Fury Cutter.

...For all the good it does him. 8-) Snivy, One-Hit KO!

Bulbasaur, One-Hit KO!

Pansage, One-Hit KO!  Level up!

Chikorita, KO!  Level up!

Turtwig, One-Hit KO!  Level up!

Acrobatics is a Flying-type attack move.  55 Power, and it doubles if the user isn't holding an item.  In earlier versions of this hack, the elemental monkey trio owned by this Gym's Leaders were absolutely murderous, due to both having this move, and not carrying any items.

Chopin's speed and max-power Fury Cutter is taking care of things quite handily, tho-

Wait!  Sir Stinger!  Get back in formation this instant, soldier!

:o

Treecko, One-Hit KO!  Critical Finish!

Uh...  Yes.  Yes, I believe it is.

Badger now?

Hey! >:( This isn't a badger!

...Oh. ^^; Badges.  I see...

Okay.  Is that because they respect me, or is it because there's some kind of secret mind-control devices in these things?

A gift, huh?  I'm still not going out on a date with you, you know.

Yes, and while you're busy screaming like a Super Saiyan, the enemy is pounding your face in.  I think I'll pass.

...Really?  Didn't these used to be single-use items?

I guess all those people boycotting and protesting outside the TM Co. offices finally convinced the company to stop making the discs so they'd erase themselves after each use...

...Uh-huh.  Or you could just stop cheating and have all three of you engage challengers in a Triple Battle, or something. >:(

...Maybe.  That move won't be Work Up, though.

Huh.  I never thought of it that way.  I think people would complain about all the blatant cheating going on, though.

Anyway, time to head back to the Pokemon Center and heal up.

Oh, I will, I assure you. ^^ Mostly for the look on Cilan's face when I was beating him so outrageously, admittedly.

Hey, the writing on the statues changed!

Nice, so I'm officially famous in this town, now. ;D

Okay, off to the Pokemon Cen-

...Oh no. :o

No.  No no no no...

She's grabbing my arm and dragging me along... :'(

...Yes, though not by choice. >:(

Shouldn't you be offering me candy at this point? :-\

...Yes.  The ominous machinery and the bed with the restraints kinda clued me in.

:o NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Aloha!  And welcome once again to Kunoichi's Advice Corner! ;D

Oh my!  It seems as though our  brave heroine has been trapped within a Mandatory Tutorial Side-Quest.  I'm afraid she'll have to go through with assisting Doctor Fennel in some sort of mad experiment, or else the consequences could be dire!

Incidentally, did you know that the bed in the room is from the dorm room Fennel and Juniper shared, back in their college days?  The restraints are from their college days, as well! ;)

Thankfully, it looks as though Mariah isn't Doctor Fennel's type.  Now, let's examine what this new move does, shall we?

Hidden Power is a move that can be taught to any Pokemon.  Depending on what that Pokemon's Inherent Values are, Hidden Power's type and strength will change drastically.  As a test, let's use an online calculator to see what Kenny's Hidden Power would be, shall we?

Ah, Poison-type, and with a Power of 46...  A poor fit for Kenny, clearly.
Chopin has an Ice-type Hidden Power with 44 Power.
FireMonkey has a Fighting-type Hidden Power with a Power of 49.

Hmm.  That last one may come in handy soon...

A favor?!  Oh no!  Run, Mariah, run!

Whoops! ^^; Silly me, false alarm.

Now here's a fun fact for the folks at home:  Thanks to the Cut HM that Cheren gave her, Mariah could have gone out and caught a Munna before tackling the Gym, thus enabling Fennel to have her own source for this mysterious 'Dream Mist'.

She wouldn't accept it even if we had, though.  Like I said, it's a Mandatory Tutorial Side-Quest.

Save files, eh?  This Dream Mist sounds like some pretty trippy stuff.  I sure hope Doctor Fennel isn't putting Mariah up to anything illegal.

Anyway, it's off to the Dreamyard for you, Mariah-chan!  But don't worry, we're all rooting for you!  We believe in you!  Good luck~ ;D

As you must have noticed, ladies and gentlemen, Let's Play Pokemon: Volt White has undergone a slight change in format. ^^  This was mostly done in an effort to improve readability by reducing on the amount of scrolling that needs to be done to get through a page.

Feel free to leave feedback on the changes, along with the usual comments and/or questions about the LP.  Thank you, and I hope you enjoy today's update.

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Kunoichi

Thanks. ^^ Got any questions or comments about the gym battle?  I know the presence of a number of hard counters for Grass-type Pokemon on Routes 1 and 2 made it a pretty easy fight, but I think that just means that Oshawott was a lucky choice for a starter.  Cilan was pretty easy to beat, but Chili and Cress would have been a little more difficult to handle.

Gensokian

I swear, that Gym had to be the fanciest thing I've ever seen in Pokemon...but, still, also didn't know that Swarm attracted more encounters. That's something I never knew. I also didn't know that Beautifly was such a vicious killer. o.o

Still, that battle was easy pickings, for sure, and once again, a kidnapping. Man, can anyone keep their hands off Mariah?

Chris Brady

Quote from: Kunoichi on March 19, 2012, 01:40:02 AM
Thanks. ^^ Got any questions or comments about the gym battle?  I know the presence of a number of hard counters for Grass-type Pokemon on Routes 1 and 2 made it a pretty easy fight, but I think that just means that Oshawott was a lucky choice for a starter.  Cilan was pretty easy to beat, but Chili and Cress would have been a little more difficult to handle.
Honestly, Kuni-chan, I'm just here for the commentary.  I'm so out of touch with Pokemon (Although I'd like to actually try this version, but no DS to begin with...) that I'm lost.  I'm just happy when I see one I recognize.

I am highly appreciative of you typing out the pokedex entry, and explaining of all the powers though, that gives me an idea.  But the actual chart of what's strong and weak against what (which I actually had to use for when I played Crystal on my GameBoyColour.  Ah the memories...) is still over my head.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Kunoichi

Quote from: Gensokian on March 19, 2012, 02:00:19 AM
I swear, that Gym had to be the fanciest thing I've ever seen in Pokemon...but, still, also didn't know that Swarm attracted more encounters. That's something I never knew. I also didn't know that Beautifly was such a vicious killer. o.o

Still, that battle was easy pickings, for sure, and once again, a kidnapping. Man, can anyone keep their hands off Mariah?

Actually, reading over the Pokedex entries, it's less that it's a vicious killer, and more that it fights back in a really vicious way if attacked.

Kidnapping Mariah?  Oh, the jokes I'll be able to make in the future... ;)

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 19, 2012, 02:26:25 AM
Honestly, Kuni-chan, I'm just here for the commentary.  I'm so out of touch with Pokemon (Although I'd like to actually try this version, but no DS to begin with...) that I'm lost.  I'm just happy when I see one I recognize.

I am highly appreciative of you typing out the pokedex entry, and explaining of all the powers though, that gives me an idea.  But the actual chart of what's strong and weak against what (which I actually had to use for when I played Crystal on my GameBoyColour.  Ah the memories...) is still over my head.

Ah.  Well, this version is a Rom-Hack, so in order to play it, all you need is an emulator, really. ^^; Of course, without owning an actual physical copy of the game, it's technically illegal, from what I recall...

Thanks, I'm glad you appreciate the explanations.  As far as type advantage charts go, this one seems pretty comprehensive.  There's also Smogon University, a site that delves into the metagame and examines moves and combinations and their relative power and usefulness in pvp matches.

I'm going to have to do some reading up on the latter of those two sites, myself, because the major trainers in this game get pretty vicious, from what I recall...

Chris Brady

That...  It used to be a nice square board, now it's an unholy monstrocity of weaknesses and strength, all shoved willy-nilly with no sense of order.

*Brain breaks*

Kunoichi

Yeah, I generally find it better to just use a nice type calculator for individual matchups. ^^; Much simpler, that way.

Ah, and I should be getting another update out later today...

BraveEarth

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 20, 2012, 02:17:14 AM
That...  It used to be a nice square board, now it's an unholy monstrocity of weaknesses and strength, all shoved willy-nilly with no sense of order.

*Brain breaks*
-pat pats Chris and doesn't mention that that table is pretty much valid for Gen II (Gold/Silver/Crystal) onwards. (But this one is better IMO)-

Kunoichi You should look into the Cloyster Family due to an amazing Ability they have that lets 1-5 hit moves always hit for Max plus the Ice type is always a good offensive typing to have a STAB in ^.^

Kunoichi

Quote from: BraveEarth on March 20, 2012, 06:49:59 PM
Kunoichi You should look into the Cloyster Family due to an amazing Ability they have that lets 1-5 hit moves always hit for Max plus the Ice type is always a good offensive typing to have a STAB in ^.^

Oh, I'd definitely considered it, I assure you. ^^ However, since Oshawott was chosen as our starter, I don't really need another Water-type on the main team.

Shellder is catchable in one of the upcoming areas, though, so I'll definitely be getting one, regardless.

Anyway, I've got another update here, hot off the presses:

Let's Play Pokemon: Volt White! - Part 8: Nightmare at the Dreamyard!

Well, it looks like I've been roped into running yet another annoying little errand.  I suppose I'll go and get this Dream Mist that Fennel wants in a little bit...

But first, it looks like Fennel has an assistant of some sort in here.

Yes.

Yes.

Ah, so you're the 'Someone' Professor Juniper was babbling about a while back.  No, I don't think I've even heard of the Battle Box before.

...Okay.  What happens if I register it?

Not a very good listener, are you? >:(

Oh well, might as well switch out my team, now that I don't need to do Operation: Clean Sweep any longer.

...?  So, now that I know Amanita's name, the name on the screen changes?

I don't think that's possible without using some sort of spyware. :-\

Hmm.  Come to think of it, if I need to get into the Dreamyard, I'd better use that thing Cheren gave me, as well...

Okay, that's taken care of.  Time to hit the Dreamyard!

...Or, I could make Fennel wait, instead, and hit Route 2 to pick up all those Pokemon I didn't catch before. >:)

Huh?  What's that, rattling around in the bushes?  It looks like some bigger, more rare variety of Pokemon than normal...

Aha!  I was right!  So, rustling grass means rare and special Pokemon!

I'm so smart. 8-)

Oh my gosh! :o He knocked out Kenny!  Get'im, Hawk!

I replaced Growl with Double Team, which raises a Pokemon's evasiveness in battle.  I'm not sure I'll actually use it much before it gets replaced by something else, but it's at least bound to get more use than the move it's replacing.

Knocking out that Beedrill reminds me, though, I'm pretty much out of Pokeballs.  I'd better hit up the Pokecenter and get some more.

Hey, they sell Great Balls, now!  Awesome.  I wonder what else I can get now that I couldn't before?

Whoa, nice!  I'm definitely keeping these.  Hmm, and with this whole rustling grass discovery, there are probably some Pokemon back on Route 1 that I missed out on, too...

Sorry, Fennel, but you'll have to continue to wait.  I'm going to go check on that. ;D

Audino, the Hearing Pokemon
Its auditory sense is astounding. It has a radar-like ability to understand its surrounding through slight sounds. It touches others with the feelers on its ears, using the sound of their heartbeats to tell how they are feeling.

Audino is basically the Chansey of Generation V.  Well, except it doesn't get Softboiled, that is.

Mimi's four moves are Heal Bell, Encore, Refresh, and DoubleSlap.  Heal Bell is a rather interesting move.  When used in battle, it heals all the Pokemon in the party of any status conditions they might be under.  Encore is a move that forces the target to use the same move repeatedly for the next three turns, which can be useful if you can lock your opponent into using a useless move while you pound on them.  Refresh cures the user of any status conditions, making it a bit redundant on a Pokemon with Heal Bell, and DoubleSlap is Mimi's only offensive move, in which she slaps the opponent 2-5 times.  It's not a very strong move.

Mimi's ability is Regenerator.  Whenever she switches out of battle, she recovers 1/3 of her maximum HP.  Not a bad ability to have if you've locked the opponent into something harmless via Encore, and are switching in an attacker to finish the job.

Walking around Route 1, I fight and KO a few more Audino, and...

Helping Hand is only useful in Double Battles, which I don't think I'll be seeing all that often.

Note that all this leveling up is off a single Audino, for both Askew and Scamp.  They really give off a lot of exp...

Headbutt is a move with decent power, and it has a chance to make the opponent flinch, robbing them of their turn to act.  It's a good, solid offensive move in these early stages of the game.

Combine Focus Energy and a move with an increased chance to crit, and you've got quite a powerful set-up.  Kenny doesn't actually know any move that crits easily, though, so I'm mainly replacing Water Sport because it's a useless move on him.

Seriously, Audino gives out a lot of exp.  You can farm these things, if you've got a Pokemon you want to level quickly.

Did you know that wild Audino often carry Oran berries?  When they use them in battle, a Pokemon with Pickup like Scamp or Askew can collect them, which is fun.  Just make sure not to take too much damage, or the Pokemon in question will eat the berry to recover health.

More leveling.  If you can't tell by now, I'm actually looking for a few other Pokemon, here on Route 1...

Azurill, the Polka Dot Pokemon
Azurill's tail is large and bouncy. It is packed full of the nutrients this Pokémon needs to grow. Azurill can be seen bouncing and playing on its big, rubbery tail. The tail is a floatation device in water. Azurill spins its tail as if it were a lasso, then hurls it far. The momentum of the throw sends its body flying, too. Using this unique action, one of these Pokémon managed to hurl itself a record 33 feet. On sunny days they gather at the edge of water and splash about for fun.

Shabon's moves are Splash, Charm, Tail Whip, and Bubble.  Tail Whip you already know, of course.  Splash is a move that literally does nothing.  The user flops and splashes around, and nothing happens.  Charm lowers the opponent's Attack stat two stages, which is a big enough drop that it could be useful at this level.  Bubble, meanwhile, is pretty much the weakest Water-type attack there is, though it does have a chance of lowering the opponents' speed.

Sadly, because Shabon is a Normal-type Pokemon (even though he evolves into the Water-type Marill), he doesn't even get a STAB bonus, making his Bubble rather weak.  Still, if we didn't have Kenny, he could make for an interesting option to raise into my main Water-type...

...Due to his ability, Huge Power.  The signature ability of the Marill line, it doubles his attack stat when he's in battle.  Toss on some Physical Water-type moves like Aqua Jet and some good training, and Shabon really could grow up to be a respectable attacker.

Like I said, though, I've already got Kenny.

D'awww, it's so cute! ;D

...And tough to catch. >>; This happened once or twice more, by the way.

Happiny, the Playhouse Pokemon
It loves round white things. It carries a round, egg-shaped rock in its belly pouch in imitation of Chansey and gives the rock to its friends. It may wander around others' feet and cause them to stumble. It's bothered by how curly its hair looks.

I missed taking a screenshot when naming Happiny, so have a look at its stat page. ^^;

You know Charm and Refresh, of course.  Pound is a weak little Normal-type attack that I plan to replace at the first available opportunity that comes along, while Copycat is a move that copies the last move that was used in battle.  Note that a Pokemon can use this move to copy itself if its opponent doesn't attack for whatever reason.

Hardboiled's ability, Friend Guard, is really only useful in Double- and Triple-Battles.  Sadly, this means she isn't likely to see much use.

That said, there is something I can do to evolve her...

Now, if the wiki is correct, we just need to have her make a single level during the daytime while carrying this item.  To Route 2!

Spearow, the Tiny Bird Pokemon
Spearow has a very loud cry that can be heard over half a mile away. If its high, keening cry is heard echoing all around, it is a sign that they are warning each other of danger. It flaps its short wings to flush out insects from tall grass. It then plucks them with its stubby beak. It has to flap its wings at high speed to stay airborne. Thanks to this, it is inept at flying high. However, it can fly around very fast to protect its territory.

Spearmint's moves are Peck, Growl, Pursuit, and Leer.  Growl and Leer you already know, while Peck is a Flying-type move that deals mediocre damage.  Pursuit, on the other hand, is a move that sees use often in pvp matches.  A Dark-type attack with 40 power, its damage doubles if used on a target that is switching out of battle.

Spearmint's ability is Keen Eye, which prevents other Pokemon from lowering her accuracy.

Working together, Hardboiled and Askew defeat an Audino on Route 2.  Sand Attack isn't very useful, so I decide not to let Askew learn it.

Causing confusion can be pretty useful in battle, I've found.  Also, Hardboiled leveled! ;D Come on, let's see that evolution!

...What.

No, really, what?  Is the wiki wrong, or...?

Ah.  Looking through the Volt White documentation, it seems like you don't have to level up Happiny at all to get it to evolve in this version.  You can use the Oval Stone like a single-use item to evolve one instantly instead.

Hmm.  Is there any reason I don't want to use it right now...?

Oh, I see.  Happiny can learn a really powerful Normal-type attack at level 16.  Then I can level it up at that same level, and it will learn Softboiled at the same time as a Chansey.  Okay, let's do that, then.

Hey, didn't N have one of those?

Kenny!  No! :o We needed to catch it, not kill it!

Darn it, Kenny, I'm not using you to catch things anymore. >:(

Pickup is an awesome ability. ^^

Skitty, the Kitten Pokemon
Skitty has the habit of becoming fascinated by moving objects and chasing them around. This Pokémon is known to chase after its own tail and become dizzy. In the wild, this Pokémon lives in holes in the trees of forests. It is said to be difficult to earn its trust. However, it is extremely popular as a pet because of its adorable looks and behavior. In battle, it makes its tail puff out and threatens foes with a sharp growl.

Floofie's moves are Tail Whip, Tackle, Foresight, and Attract.  You already know the first three, but Attract is a move that can be devastating in battle.  It makes Pokemon of the opposite gender become infatuated with Floofie, which can cause them to become immobilized during battle.

Floofie's ability is Wonder Skin, which halves the chances of any move that isn't an attack to hit Floofie.  Useful for dodging Poison Powder or Hypnosis.

Knocking out a Beedrill, Hawk levels up.

Staravia, the Starling Pokemon
It flies around forests and fields in search of bug Pokémon. Recognizing their own weakness, they always live in a huge flock. Squabbles over territory occur when flocks collide. When alone, a Staravia cries noisily.

Having evolved, Hawk's ability has changed from Keen Eye to Intimidate, a move that lowers the opponent's Attack whenever Hawk takes to the field.

Hmm, don't I need to catch another one of these?

Here's hoping it's a prophetic nickname. ^^

And hey, there's another Nincada!

Nincada, the Trainee Pokemon
Nincada lives underground for many years in complete darkness. It uses its sharp claws to carve the roots of trees and absorb moisture and nutrients. This Pokémon can't withstand bright sunlight, so it avoids it. It stays motionless as it waits for evolution. Because it lives almost entirely underground, this Pokémon is nearly blind. It senses its surroundings using its antennae instead.

It's a ninja in training, so I named it after a certain 80s ninja superstar. ;)

Sho's moves are Harden, Bug Bite, Leech Life, and Sand-Attack.  Of those, the only one I haven't explained is Leech Life, a 20 power Bug-type attack in which the user attacks the target, then recovers half the damage dealt.  It's the Bug-type equivalent to Absorb.

Sho's ability is Compoundeyes, which boosts his accuracy in battle.  This will transform into a potent ability once he evolves...

More training.  Chopin will get more mileage out of Leech Life than he will out of Bide.

Also, two Pokemon leveled!  Now, the magic can begin...

Yes!  Cascoon, first try! ;D This was the other Pokemon Wurmple could evolve into, and the reason I caught a second one.

Cascoon, the Cocoon Pokemon
Cascoon makes its protective cocoon by wrapping its body entirely with a fine silk from its mouth. Once the silk goes around its body, it hardens over time. This Pokémon prepares for its evolution inside the cocoon. When cracks appear on its body, evolution is near. To avoid detection by its enemies, it hides motionlessly beneath large leaves and in the gaps of branches. It also attaches dead leaves to its body for camouflage. If it is attacked, Cascoon remains motionless however badly it may be hurt. It does so because if it were to move, its body would be weak upon evolution. This Pokémon will also never forget any attack it endured while in the cocoon. After evolution, it seeks payback.

Dust Tox's ability as a Wurmple was Shield Dust, so upon evolving into Cascoon, its ability changed to Battle Armor, which prevents foes from landing critical hits.

Mothra's coming along nicely, as well.  Having evolved, his ability changed from Shield Dust to Shed Skin, same as when Sir Stinger was evolving.  He won't wind up with Sniper when he evolves, though.

Not going to bother learning Harden.  He'll just wind up forgetting it when he evolves, anyway.

A little more leveling up, and...

Dustox, the Poison Moth Pokemon
When Dustox flaps its wings, a fine dust is scattered all over. This dust is actually a powerful poison that will even make a pro wrestler sick. This Pokémon searches for food using its antennae like radar. Dustox is instinctively drawn to light. Swarms of this Pokémon are attracted by the bright light of cities, where they wreak havoc by stripping the leaves off roadside trees for food.

Having evolved once more, Dust Tox's ability has changed to Compoundeyes.

Confusion is a respectable Psychic-type attack at the level I'm currently at.  Much more useful than String Shot.

Similarly, Clear Smog is a stronger Poison-type move than Poison Sting, though it unfortunately lacks the side-effect of poisoning my opponent.

And last but not least, Struggle Bug is more useful than Tackle.

More leveling, and both Scamp and Askew picked up some interesting items.

Hooray!  Mothra Leo can evolve now!

...Whoops. ^^; He's skipped right over all the moves he would've learned at level 10.  Oh well, not like I was planning to use him much, anyway.

Butterfree, the Butterfly Pokemon
Butterfree has a superior ability to search for delicious honey from flowers. It can even search out, extract, and carry honey from flowers that are blooming over six miles from its nest. Its wings, covered with poisonous powder, repel water. This allows it to fly in the rain. In battle, it flaps its wings at high speed, releasing highly toxic dust into the air.

Having evolved, Mothra Leo's Battle Armor ability has switched to Compoundeyes.

Finally!  Alright, Meowth, I've been looking for you for the last three hours!  You're mine!  Chopin, hit it with Leech Life!

...Darn it, Chopin! >:( I'm not using you to catch Pokemon anymore, either!  Now I have to spend several more hours looking for Meowth...

=SEVERAL HOURS LATER...=

Noooooooo! :'(

=SEVERAL MORE HOURS LATER...=

Guh...  Finally... got one... @.@;

Meowth, the Scratch Cat Pokemon
Meowth withdraws its sharp claws into its paws to slinkily sneak about without making any incriminating footsteps. For some reason, this Pokémon loves shiny coins that glitter with light. It is fascinated by round objects. It can't stop playing with them until it tires and falls asleep. It loves things that sparkle. When it sees a shiny object, the gold coin on its head shines too.

I named him MoneyMaker, 'cause that's what I'm going to use him as.  At level 30, you see, Meowth learns PayDay, which is a move which increases the amount of money you win in battle.  Combine it with equipping him with an Amulet Coin, which has the same effect, and I'll have little trouble using him to farm rich kids for cash. ;D

MoneyMaker's moves are Scratch, Growl, and Bite.  Much like Scamp and Askew, his ability is Pickup.

Have I mentioned yet that I love Pickup?

Doing a little more leveling, I get FireMonkey to learn a more powerful Fire-type move.  Since his attacks right now are all Special, I don't feel any qualms at having him forget a move that boosts his physical Attack stat.

Aaaaaand all the Pokemon currently in my party are at level 14.  I think that's a good point to stop at.  Might as well hit the Dreamyard, now.

There goes the tree...

Eh?  Bianca?

Yes, though not by choice.

Wait.  Did Fennel send you here to get some Dream Mist because I was taking so long?  Nice! ;D That means I can leave it to you and ditch town!

Thanks, Bianca! ^^ Now I don't have to see that crazy lady ever again!

Woohoo~  I'm off to the next town!  I have a badge, old man.  You have to let me pass, now!

But... I has a badge... :-(

Fine. >:(

Stupid jerk, forcing me to go back and help out, even though Bianca's got it covered.  Bianca's probably already got that Dream Mist by now, too.  I bet he and Fennel are working together to harass me like this...

...?  Bianca?  Why are you still standing there, instead of looking for the Pokemon?

...Okay. -_- I guess the job won't get done without me after all.

The sound of a strange creature's cry echoes throughout the Dreamyard...

Yes, Bianca.  It... was pretty hard to miss.

Hey, wait up!

Awwww, it's adorable! ;D

I think your poofy hat scared it, Bianca.

Come on, let's go and ask it for some Dream Mist.

...?  Hey, haven't I seen guys in uniforms like those before?

He's hitting poor Munna in the stomach. >:(

Also, give us one good reason we shouldn't have our Pokemon set you on fire. >:(

Then what are you doing here, abusing some poor wild pokemon? >:(

...Uh-huh.  And how will you accomplish this, exactly?

You guys sound like Disney villains. >:(

Yep, Disney-level villainy.  Clearly, you two are Evil with a capital E.

Bull.  What you're saying is the exact opposite of what you're doing. >:(

Also, you still haven't given me a good reason to not set you on fire.

Or in other words, you're a couple of jack-booted thugs who pretend to be working for a noble cause so you can get your kicks hurting Pokemon and making people sad.

Bring it. >:) I'm going to enjoy this.

Now, I could make a joke about how that's not really a Pokemon at all, and this Team Plasma jerk just glued some googly eyes onto a trash bag, but Trubbish actually winds up becoming a fairly dangerous opponent during the fight.

You see, I have Kenny lead off with a Focus Energy to up his crit ratio and then start Water Gunning the opponent, but while that's going on, Trubbish uses a move called Toxic Spikes to set the field.

Toxic Spikes is a move that scatters poisoned needles over the opponent's side of the field.  Whenever one of the opponent's Pokemon is brought into the battle, they get poisoned, and if the move is used twice, they get badly poisoned, which means the poison damage increases each turn.

Trubbish got off two Toxic Spikes and a couple of Tackles before Kenny took him out...

...Which means I couldn't switch in any other Pokemon without them getting badly poisoned.  And since this Team Plasma goon has a friend who looks like she's going to get involved in the battle once her friend here goes down, I have to think about this in terms of endurance, and not just finishing the battle as brutally as possible, then rushing back to a Pokemon Center.

Thankfully, the enemy's Pokemon is helpful enough to point out for me the move which will be most effective against it.

...For all the good it does me.

A Bug Bite later, and the enemy Drowzee is out of the fight.  Unfortunately, Chopin has been badly poisoned in the process.

I'll have to finish this battle quickly if I want to keep Chopin conscious.

Lucky for me, Fury Cutter is up to the job. 8-)

No, I'm just that good. >:)

Bring it, lady.

...This is a bad matchup, given Hardboiled's lack of offensive power. ^^;

I do what I can to even the odds, but...

Yeah, it isn't enough.

FireMonkey, fortunately, is a much more proficient battler, though even he doesn't walk away lightly from this one.

Thankfully, I'm not dealing with Toxic Spikes, this time.

Askew takes some damage during the battle, but repeated use of Headbutt causes Grimer to flinch multiple times, keeping her from doing too much.

Now, Cacnea is a Grass-type Pokemon, leaving it with strong weaknesses to Fire-, Bug-, and Flying-type Pokemon.

I have all three on my team at the moment. 8-)

And it's a one-hit finish. ;D

I can.  Are you ready to stop abusing Pokemon now?

Hey! >:( I said stop kicking it!

FireMonkey, roast this gu-

?

[[Ghetsis: "...What foolishness is this?"]]

That's what I want to know. >:( These guys work for you, right?

?!

...Are you magic? :o

Teleportation?!

Wait, so that speech back in Accumula Town really was a load of nonsense?

Wow, so these guys really are like Disney villains.

I haven't got a clue, Bianca.

I... guess not?

Uh...

Aaaaah!  Help, the dream's turned into a nightmare!

...If you were just waiting around doing nothing anyway, why did you even need us in the first place? >:(

Well, at least Munna seems to be okay.

Farewell, you two...

Yep, the fact that Bianca knows Fennel's name is all the proof I need to know that Fennel asked her to help gather Dream Mist, too.  I'll bet she asked Cheren for help, as well, and then that mysogynistic old man just let him past... >:(

Bianca, remember what I told you about taking a deep breath when you're excited and thinking about what you want to say?

I didn't. :-\ And I actually saw the whole thing.

...So, those Team Plasma guys have nightmares about what their boss will do to them if they fail?

Wow.  I'm glad I don't work for that guy.

Darn, I was hoping you hadn't noticed. :-X Looks like I won't be able to keep that particular item for myself.

And there she goes, running off so excitedly to perform her vile, unethical experiments.  I should probably stop her, but I'm a bit worried I'll wind up a test subject if I try.

Preaching to the choir, Bianca.  Preaching to the choir.

Why can't you go instead? :-\

...Fine. >:( But you owe me one for this.

Also, I'm not going to go back right away.  I think I can find some good items, if I sift through all this wreckage a little.

Aha!  I can get this one, now!

Dreamyard?  More like TM-yard. 8-)

...What?  Come on, that joke was awesome, and you know it. :P

Anyway, back to the Pokemon Center to heal up, and then I'm going to go and see what wild Pokemon the Dreamyard has to offer!

It's that time again, folks!  Reader Participation Round!

The following Pokemon can be found within the Dreamyard:

Tall Grass:
Clefairy
Drowzee
Jigglypuff
Munna
Natu
Nidoran♂
Nidoran♀
Ralts
Spinda
Venonat

Rustling Grass:
Audino (already have one)
Chingling
Cleffa
Igglybuff
Lunatone
Solrock
Togepi

Legendary Encounters: (We'll have to come back for this one later)
Level 30 Jirachi

Feel free to come up with nicknames for any or all of the Pokemon on the above list, and just like last time, I'll give credit if I use them. ^^

Chris Brady

Kunoichi

Oh, right, sorry about that. ^^; I'm asking for help coming up with names.

Chris Brady

Sonic for the Male Nidoran, and Amy for the Female.  Yes I know that that Nido's are Porcupines, not Hedgehogs, but that's the point...

Lady Gaga for the Igglybuff...  >.>

Spinda should be Po from Kung Fu Panda.

Kunoichi

Given my previous experiences with the buffed-up Spindas in this game, I was actually thinking DeathPanda might be a fitting name, when I wind up running into one. ^^; They're powerful opponents at this early point in the game.