An Education in Darkness - A Star Wars group RP (still looking for students)

Started by Barding, December 28, 2008, 08:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barding

There has been, for longer than recorded history tells, a labyrinthine structure both on and beneath the surface of Korriban, cleft and carved into the surface of the planet's dusty, once volcanic rock. The stories of those who have explored it and lived tell of tunnels that go on for miles and rooms with no doors to be seen. They tell of great subterranean chambers and shafts of twisting sunlight and great braziers running on tallow of questionable origin. They tell of both high technology and primal primitivism. The most informed of these stories claim that this maze of rough hewn and majestic rock either is or was an academy of sorts. Given that it is located on Korriban, tales spoken in shivering, shuddering voices attest that it was an academy that trained the young in arts that welled up from the darkness of the planet itself. It was once an academy for the Sith.

Now, this RP would probably be a BIG twist on your average high school-based game. Not only would each of the characters be Sith, whether teachers or students, they would each gradually descend into their own private darkness, their bodies deteriorating into morbidity while their minds sharpen and open their doors to horrifying powers or their forms twisting into ones of terrifying beauty while their minds spiral into insanity.

Of course, classes in this academy would be different from those in an ordinary high school or university. However, the nature of this aspect of the academy can be altered to suit the needs of the game. The conception of such things would probably be very much a joint effort.

The idea I had with regards to this as a group RP concerned an entire network of teachers and students, of course, all Sith. However, there may also be places in this RP for slaves, servants and droids also. Generally you have a great deal of freedom with regards to creating your characters. However, I would rather you kept them rather down-to-earth. I mean, if your character is a student then, please, keep their levels of power sensible. If they are a teacher keep their levels of power suitable...Or, all the better, mysterious, have them use as little of their power as possible so that their students (and, to some extent, rival teachers) should never know quite how far they would go if their ire is earnt; fear is a powerful tool after all.

So, basically, this network of characters, both NPCs and player characters, would inter-exist in the same environment, possibly in a small board if there is enough interest. The purpose of this group RP would be to explore their inter-relationships and their journey toward power and the less savory consequence it has if attained through the dark side of the Force.

Please, if you're interested, do post here. Character concepts are very much encouraged. I'd love to know what everyone is thinking. Thank you for listening.

Here is the basic profile skeleton for characters in this RP:

Name:
Sex:
Race:
Apparent Age:
Actual Age:
Teacher, student or other:

Basic Concept: (a sentence or two that sums up your character)

Sexuality:

Description
   Hair (or equivalent appendages; lekku for example):
   Eyes:
   Face:
   Body Type:
   Skin Tone:
   Voice:
   Other: (for example, distinguishing marks or more alien additions)

Dislikes:
Desires:
Habits:
Insecurities:
Deadly Sin: (one out of the classic seven and, most likely, the one that is most likely to be taken as passion of choice to be drawn on most regularly as a conduit for the Force)

Character Background:

Brief Synopsis of Personality: (brief is all that is demanded as we hope that you can show your character’s personality more aptly through their actions than through a paragraph or two of prose)

The Force
Ranking of Masteries

[A note on Force Masteries…

Alter – the alteration of the Force’s distribution and nature in the environment around the force-user. Examples of powers involving use of the force for Alteration purposes would be those that change energy from one type into another and, mostly, concern the manipulation of physics, e.g. the classical Force Lightning, movement of objects and people through the Force, the formation of a shield through the Force etc.
Control – the manipulation of the body’s innate Force energies to produce various effects. Examples of powers involving use of the force for Control purposes would be those that affect the body’s biological processes, e.g. using the Force to push one’s body to bursts of speed, using the Force to heal wounds, using the Force to crush another’s organs or windpipe from afar, using the Force to increase strength or toughness.
Sense – the use of the Force to attune oneself with the universe and the flow of the Force through it. In short, all applications of the Force that involve influencing the mind or other such psychic effects, e.g. perceiving the ways in which the threads of the Force tie together to predict the future, using the Force to influence the mind of another, using the Force to incite fear in another, using the Force to speak into the mind of another, using the Force to ‘scry’ on others.

1st: (the aspect of the Force – Alter, Control or Sense – in which the character is most naturally gifted and directs their study most strongly towards and so on)
   2nd:
   3rd:

Lightsaber: (does the character possess one; yes or no?)
   Type: (dual, double-bladed, single etc.)
   Colour: (most likely red)
   Style in which the saber is wielded: (think up a technical term like ‘Form IV’ or something exotic sounding if you like)

:: O/Os ::
Updated 09/08/2021

:: Cravings ::
Updated 20/09/2021

:: Accepting new stories only in very special cases. ::

Eren

Interested, but I am not very knowledgeable about the SW universe (having only seen the films). I am willing to do additional research, of course.

Could play a male teacher, I think. Not sure about the concept yet.

Great idea, by the way. :)

Barding

I'll admit, you had me at 'willing to do additional research'. Devotion and attention to detail are, of course, things that'll make me warm to you (and other potential players) infinitely. I'd be open to your playing a male teacher if males are your preference with regards to characters.

Uhm, one question is whether or not you double up, as in, do you feel comfortable playing more than one character? Please do not see this question as having a right answer, such as 'yes', or a wrong answer, such as 'no'. I simply want to know whether you will or won't. Either way, I'd love to have you.

Uhm, if you could do some thinking about your character concept then I'd -love- to listen intently.

Thank you.

In the meantime, everyone, I'm probably going to give some thought to my own character concept and a universal profile format to be used for characters in this game.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

RedEve

I'm always up for a good SW game, however, I'm a bit unclear as to what exactly your main plot-line will entail. Just the inner-conflicts of the people at the academy?

I'd probably play a Zeltron Sith apprentice myself.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Barding

Quote from: RedEve on December 28, 2008, 10:21:43 AM
I'm always up for a good SW game, however, I'm a bit unclear as to what exactly your main plot-line will entail. Just the inner-conflicts of the people at the academy?

I'd probably play a Zeltron Sith apprentice myself.

Hmnn, I suppose the technical term for this type of game would be a Sandbox one. As in, the plot is driven by the characters. Generally it would have a similar set of plotlines to that of a soap opera, as in there would be lots of minor, hopefully interlinking plotlines. I hope that explains things a little? In short, it would be less like Lord of the Rings (a plot driven by a big, all-encompassing quest) and more like a soap-opera, albeit an unusual one.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

RedEve

Quote from: Barding on December 28, 2008, 10:29:19 AM
Hmnn, I suppose the technical term for this type of game would be a Sandbox one. As in, the plot is driven by the characters. Generally it would have a similar set of plotlines to that of a soap opera, as in there would be lots of minor, hopefully interlinking plotlines. I hope that explains things a little? In short, it would be less like Lord of the Rings (a plot driven by a big, all-encompassing quest) and more like a soap-opera, albeit an unusual one.

But would all of the action be limited to the academy itself?

Barding

Quote from: RedEve on December 28, 2008, 10:52:41 AM
But would all of the action be limited to the academy itself?

The game would center around the academy and the surrounding areas. However, it would not be restricted to it. I just assumed that most students would have very little reason, and possibly would not have permission, to leave Korriban during their term of education. Teachers would, most likely, have a little more leeway.

I hope that answered your question?
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

Idej

I am interested, but what time are we going to be in?

Barding

I'm not sure. Any really: prequel era; pre-prequels; Imperial era; or post-Imperial. I was going to take a general consensus.

Uhm, to help this, can everyone who's interested please say the era(s) they'd prefer this RP took place in.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

RedEve

Well, with an Sith academy in place, you would have to pick an era in which the rule of two wasn't in effect, wouldn't you?

The rule of two laster from roughly around 1000 BBY until 130 ABY. So your era should either be before or right after this period.

Barding

Quote from: RedEve on December 28, 2008, 12:06:10 PM
Well, with an Sith academy in place, you would have to pick an era in which the rule of two wasn't in effect, wouldn't you?

If we want to stick to the official canon which, I assume, we generally do? However, if this is not an issue then we could, of course, fudge that rule a little bit by using some kind of jargon involving the academy being forbidden in itself and, therefore, disregarding the rule of two...Or we could just play the 'it just is like that, it doesn't need a reason' card with regards to playing something other than canon.

Otherwise, we could always play in a Pre-Prequel Era that allows for more than one Sith.

Still, thoughts of sticking to canon aside, I'd love to play in the Imperial Era or a Pre-Prequel one. The latter of the two is, I believe, canon.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

RedEve

This thread would fit in nicely into the New Sith Wars era.

The academy could belong to the Brotherhood of Darkness?

Barding

Quote from: RedEve on December 28, 2008, 12:15:42 PM
This thread would fit in nicely into the New Sith Wars era.

The academy could belong to the Brotherhood of Darkness?

I apologise for my questionable degree of knowledge on the subject but I am not exactly sure of the New Sith Wars era's specifics. However, I do know that the Brotherhood of Darkness was the Sith equivalent of the Jedi order before the Rule of Two was put into place. Uhm, still, I'll admit to knowing little else about the era you mentioned.

What I most want to know and am least aware of is the aesthetics of this era *grins* Sorry, I'm something of a costume whore.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

At risk of babbling on... yes. I am interested in this.

TinselTrick

As am I. While I don't especially mind what era this is set in, I do prefer ABY, and think that any time following circa 130 ABY (as RedEve mentioned) will give us more creative freedom and bring us a little further from canon.

Elohim

Barding

Well, in response to both TinselTrick and the similarly named Karmatrik (pleasure to have you both in the thread, by the way) I'd love to have you both and would also love to have you throw character concepts at me whenever you like. I'm very much open to helping anyone that needs helping in that respect.

With regards to eras, I think almost creating our own ABY/New Sith Wars Era universe would work very well. As there isn't a huge amount of canon with regards to that period of time, as far as I know, we'd have a fairly large amount of freedom with regards to...Well, most things.

In the meantime, I'm still recruiting. Please, if you know anyone who might be interested, at least show them the thread.

Quote from: Seraph on December 28, 2008, 02:15:32 PM
I'd like to get in on this.

How funny; I was looking at your O/O page earlier and wondering if you might like to join in. Uhm, the fact that you expressed interest under your own steam is great! ;D

Please, both Karma and Seraph, babble to your heart's content. I'd love to know about any ideas you might have.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

I don't have any complaints about any time period apart from that fail of a time period that came just after NJO. I don't honestly know much more than a few character names (Such as Cade Skywalker) in the Legacy era since I basically stopped hard on keeping up with canon after NJO (since it was fairly displeasing on its own... and it's only gotten worse with what happened to Jacen.) Creating our own time period is fine too. I've always been more interested in characters than time period anyway. xP I'll think idly about characters today.

Will

I'm tentatively interested, although I'm a little vague on the time period as well. :)

Quote from: karmatrik on December 28, 2008, 03:38:20 PMCreating our own time period is fine too. I've always been more interested in characters than time period anyway. xP
Couldn't have said it better myself. *nodnods*
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Barding

I suppose vagueness with regards to the time period is, currently, the appropriate state of mind as we are pretty much improvising our own period. I shouldn't imagine it should matter a huge amount as this would be very much insular and would, mostly, take place on Korriban.

I'll kick about my own character concepts and possibly some for NPCs as well. Hopefully tomorrow I'll make out a basic profile skeleton.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

polaroids

This was the close,
this was the moment.
He pressed the golden metal to his lips
and whispered, "I am about to die."

[o/o]

Quote from: polaroids on December 28, 2008, 03:44:43 PM
CAN I PLEASE BE AN EWOK?!?!?!  8)
I'm officially endorsing this.

On another note, I can usually plot better when I've got a profile layout in front of me, so I'll be looking forward to that!

Will

Quote from: polaroids on December 28, 2008, 03:44:43 PM
CAN I PLEASE BE AN EWOK?!?!?!  8)
*falls over laughing*  The likelihood of her/him getting off the Endor moon is awfully slim...

... Screw it!  I wanna be a tusken raider!  Urrorurrrr!!!
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Elohim

*grins*  Well glad that I could oblige,  truthfully my knowledge of the Star Wars universe is confined mostly to the Knights of the Old Republic Era,  and the films. So,  I probably  wouldn't be of much use to help in choosing an Era as both of those points seem to be times of immense upheaval, and all of the PC's would easily be overshadowed by cannon characters.  I've got a few concepts spinning around in my head...  don't know if I want to play a student or a newly arrived "Professor."

Barding

Thanks very much, Polaroids, for your input. :P

In the meantime, I'll work on the profile layout when I have a quiet moment, although that'll probably be tomorrow. I'll put it at the bottom of my first post in the thread and give a celebratory bump to this thread when it's done.

Quote*grins*  Well glad that I could oblige,  truthfully my knowledge of the Star Wars universe is confined mostly to the Knights of the Old Republic Era,  and the films. So,  I probably  wouldn't be of much use to help in choosing an Era as both of those points seem to be times of immense upheaval, and all of the PC's would easily be overshadowed by cannon characters.  I've got a few concepts spinning around in my head...  don't know if I want to play a student or a newly arrived "Professor."

I think creativity is most likely to be more important than actual knowledge of the universe, as we'll be playing in an era that's mostly uncovered with regards to canon. Pretty much, you (and every other player) will have a creative care-blanche. Simply put, please ask me if you're going to do anything particularly out-of-the-ordinary. I will probably allow you to do this..Just, um, as I want to keep this game fairly low-powered I will assume for now that it stands to reason for all of you that playing a vampire-werewolf hybrid or a Star Wars equivalent as your PC would be off limits.

I'd prefer to keep it with humanoid races...or droids?...Admittedly though, I do like semi-mechanical-semi-biological humanoids...I'll consider them.

Good to have you all, as I said.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021