News:

Main Menu

Doctor Who Junkie!

Started by Usani, September 19, 2012, 08:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stella

I was pretty devastated when Ten regenerated - those awful last words just broke my heart. He was also my first Doctor (I'd watched the show a bit as a kid, but only got into it in season 2 of the reboot) so I felt rather attached to him. But I am loving Eleven. I made a list of my 10 least favourite Who episodes for a meme a few months ago, and since there was only one Eleven episode on the list, I take that to mean he's doing pretty well. :p

The episode in question was 'The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe', btw.

I guess it helps that I really love Moffat's episodes and story arcs in general. But I don't tend to compare him and RTD much; I love both of their directions with a few exceptions. Rose Tyler living happily ever after with Meta Crisis Doctor, that ending was just such a pretty little parcel. >>

Falanor

Smith's Doctor took the longest for me to get into over the other's.  He's a bit more on the spastic side, loony and all, but he grew on me.  The episode that solidified my enjoyment of him as the Doctor was the 'Vincent and the Doctor' episode.

Oniya

Spastic, loony, and grows on you - sounds like Colin. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Falanor

Quote from: Oniya on October 29, 2012, 03:50:25 PM

Perhaps...but in my opinion Colin suffered from terrible writers.  Though the Valeyard episode was a fairly fantastic bit of work on their part.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on October 29, 2012, 03:50:25 PM

I could NEVER get into Colin.. I always wanted to slap him with a sledge hammer..

Love And Submission

Out of my top five the favorite episodes of Doctor Who  , four  of them features someone either dying or moving away.

The only one that doesn't is Blink. I guess this show is just really good at saying good bye and it's not even just Nu Who. I list Logopolis up there as well (  I don't know. I think I prefer the End Of Time part 1 and 2 more then logopolis but  I think Logopolis is slightly more important? I don't know.)

For those  wondering , I'd say my favorites are Last Of Time Lords/The Sound of drums , blink , The End of  Time Pt.1/Pt.2  , The Angels Take Manhattan and Logopolis.

I also really dug The Almost People. I'm a sucker for The Eleventh Doctor point Five?
Does he have an offical name?

The Almost Doctor?

Turns out he's called The Ganger Doctor. That's a mouthful.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Stella

End of Time is a different choice on a top five list. Not knocking it at all, you just don't often see that on people's favourites.  : )

dthewaters

I wouldn't say I was an Doctor Who fan, I really only watch the new series, about 2005-onwards, but I try to catch every new episode that airs. My favorite parts of the show. beyond the Doctor himself, is differently the villains of the show, I really like the ideas of the Silence aliens creatures that are the center of a conspiracy and you can only remember them if you are looking directly at them although I do hate their name.

Stella

Why do you hate the name? If you could rename, what would you prefer they be called?

Silverfyre

Hello, another Whovian here!  I was wondering what you all thought of this recent tidbit about the 50th anniversary special.

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.813&article=103035

Stella

It actually blew my mind, so until the pieces get back together I have no idea what I think of it, lol.

Silverfyre

Yeah, that's pretty much where I stand on it.  I mean, I am definitely raising an eyebrow at the whole thing and wondering if it is just Moffet's way of saying "Well, fuck you!" to Eccleston for passing on being in the special.  I have a bad feeling about this but I want to wait and see too. 

Stella

I wouldn't want to think that it's a callous choice. I love what Moffat's done with most of his time as show-runner and most of the time I'm delighted with the reveals. *Big, bracing breath* So. I must have hope that it's going to be just as terrific this time round.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Though if he finds some new way to break River's heart I may have to go after him. SHE'S BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH, MOFFAT.

Silverfyre

Meh. I'm an old curmudgeon who misses the days of RTD (and far before that.  I wish I could find more of the Third Doctor on DVD!).  River Song disappeared into Mary Sue territory for me and I just can't stand the character.  Alex Kingston does the best she can and I love her to death but the character of Dr. Song got exhaustive in season six.  Move on, do something new... but really, does he need to add a whole other doctor just to throw in one more?  It just seems ridiculous.

Stella

I started watching with RTD and have only gone back and started watching Classic Who in the last few months. (What I've seen of Three is brilliant!) I hate all the RTD vs Moffat stuff that goes on in fandom. They're both great, they're different, but on the whole I've been enjoying Moffat more. Which didn't surprise me, since I discovered all my favourite RTD era episodes were written by Moffat, lol.

I'm just looking forward to it and trying not to speculate or expect too much. I'm pretty sure given my track record that I'm going to love it - and probably cry. Definitely cry.

Clara I just can't warm to, though. I can't tell if it's the character or the actress...

Silverfyre

I have enjoyed the majority of Moffat's work on the series but at times, it feels like he is more interested in trying to be as over-the-top as possible when compared to other writers.  But yeah, there really shouldn't be any "feuding" when it comes to who is the better show leader.  I feel people can have opinions on it and preferences but I also roll my eyes at the mentality of "RTD or GTFO!" or vice versa. 

Dr. Who always has a way of punching you right in the feels. 

Aislinn

Another Whovian dropping in!

I started watching Dr.Who several years ago...right about the time Tennant took the reins. Tennant will always be 'my' doctor. I confess I've not seen anything of the older series and am just working off the work of Eccleston, Tennant and Smith....but I think Tennant had the best grasp of the role and material. Not to say Smith hasn't had some great moments. I was not a fan of Eccleston.
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Silverfyre

I think you have to watch the whole series of "New Who" to really get an appreciation for the gravity of the Ninth Doctor's character.  The intensity of hatred he has for the Daleks, the contempt and endless admiration he has for humans... it all comes together brilliantly once you see just what the Time War did to him.  I always loved Nine, especially after seeing "Father's Day" and "The Empty Child".

Aislinn

I've watched all the "New Who"...and really tried to like Nine. I think perhaps it was something that just hit me wrong about him...or even my undying love for Ten. It took me a long time to warm up to Eleven. Companions I'm a bit easier on. I think about the only companion I didn't like was Martha Jones....and her story arc just didn't ever make sense to me.

Favorite episode? Girl in the Fireplace...
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Silverfyre

To each their own!  Ten is also my favorite but Tom Baker will always hold a special place in my heart since he was my first Doctor that I watched when I was really young and went through my uncle's video collection of Dr. Who tapes.  Besides, DAT SCARF!

Ten and Donna are my favorite Doctor/Companion mesh-up.  I love Liz Shaw too and Clara is growing on me.  "Girl in the Fireplace" also happens to be my favorite episode, aside from "The Empty Child". 

Geeklet

I don't know what it is, but Donna just irritated the everloving crap out of me.

Stella

I loved Nine. I mean, you've gotta love a Doctor who'll just kick a door in to get inside a room.... :p

Oh god, favourite episode ... that is too hard. That one definitely ranks in my favourites though Aislinn. Also 'The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang', 'Blink', 'Midnight', 'The Eleventh Hour' ... I just can't choose. And add 'Nightmare in Silver' to that partial list...

Ten was my first Doctor but he and Eleven share the mantle as my favourites.

Silverfyre

"The Doctor's Wife".  Neil Gaiman needs to do more Dr. Who episodes.

Stella

^Oh yes, definitely, that one too. XD

Oniya

Quote from: Silverfyre on May 13, 2013, 09:05:57 AM
To each their own!  Ten is also my favorite but Tom Baker will always hold a special place in my heart since he was my first Doctor that I watched when I was really young and went through my uncle's video collection of Dr. Who tapes.  Besides, DAT SCARF!

'Dat scarf' got me through my first semester of Calculus in college.  About three days in, I realized I'd already taken the material in 11th grade, so I taught myself to knit.  Large class, back row, yarn and needles under the desk, and I could answer any question the teacher asked.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17