News:

Main Menu

Doctor Who Junkie!

Started by Usani, September 19, 2012, 08:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Observing Trifles

Quote from: Mathim on September 20, 2012, 04:16:19 PM
It's funny, when I first saw Eccleston regenerate into Tennant, I was convinced this was going to be a bad move. I ended up loving Tennant way more than Eccleston even though Eccleston was technically my first Doctor. I'm kind of tired of Smith already, wanting to see the 12th Doctor hopefully next season.

From what I understand, Smith is on board until 2014 at minimum.
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: BrilliantDays on September 20, 2012, 04:25:17 PM

It still blows my mind he tried out for Watson on Sherlock and wound up as the Doctor instead.

Lilias

Quote from: BrilliantDays on September 20, 2012, 04:25:17 PM

We will have a new companion at the Christmas special. I doubt we'd get a new Doctor in the very next season, barring something unpredictable.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Lilias on September 20, 2012, 04:33:12 PM
We will have a new companion at the Christmas special. I doubt we'd get a new Doctor in the very next season, barring something unpredictable.

It's been fun watching the Nerd Rage in some areas at the hint that the next doctor will be a woman.. :D

Lilias

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 20, 2012, 04:35:47 PM
It's been fun watching the Nerd Rage in some areas at the hint that the next doctor will be a woman.. :D

Well, Jenna-Louise Coleman got the part because she could talk faster than Smith. ;) They're going to be a scream together, that's for sure.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Observing Trifles

Ah, that's right, we're due for a new companion soon. I always get anxious to see how new companions settle into the rhythm (or lack thereof) of life with the Doctor.

Is that rumor still floating around? I wasn't sure if it was just Tumblr-talk, or if it was actually hinted at by the BBC.
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

Polymorph

Oh yes indeed.

Well there has been a couple of hints dropped into the show that did confirm it was possible for a timelord to regenerate into a timelady.

Doctor who: Curse of the Fatal Death Part 2.2

Polymorph

Leela
My all time favourite companion. Attractive, scantily dressed and homicidal. Along with Wilma Deering the cause of sexual awakening, particularly when she got captured and tied or shackled up. 

Oniya

Is it bad that the 'homicidal' part was what endeared her to me?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Polymorph

Quote from: Oniya on September 21, 2012, 11:34:24 AM
Is it bad that the 'homicidal' part was what endeared her to me?

Nope, well maybe but in a good way >:) As the Doctor himself said about River Song, "I've always had a soft spot for a bad girl" or words to that effect.

Callie Del Noire

I see a lot of stuff on the companions.. saw soemthing on Teagan's actress battling cancer this morning.

PuckThePlayful

My first Dr was the 11th, the Pandorica episodes. It was a blast, but I wasn't sure what all I was seeing. I saw a few more of his episodes, and then decided to start watching the series. I've seen bits and pieces of the older Dr's and really liked Hartnell. Now I'm a little more versed, having watched up to season 5, and while my first Dr isn't my favorite, I'm still a fan. My favorite would have to be Eccleston. He was so alive throughout every episode. I just liked the way he played the character.
"If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumbered here
While these visions did appear."

—The opening of Puck's epilogue.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Usani on September 19, 2012, 08:12:45 PM
I started watching Doctor Who on Netflix a few days ago and I am now on Season 2 and I can't get enough of it!  A lot of people have been saying your first Doctor will always be your first love lol and they're right!  I looooooooved the ninth doctor it sucks he was only on for a short amount of time.  Now, don't get me wrong yes I do like the tenth doctor he has a special place as well but the ninth doctor will always be My Doctor <3!  :D

Me too!!  I LOVE Netflix AND Dr Who!!  I had no idea how good it was. I tried to watch some of the old versions of the show and it was just so hoaky I couldn't waste my time but I love it now and feel really bad for mocking it before but I just didn't know!  ::)
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt
Saturn Reads Tarot (Free) & E*rotic Readings,
Lickable Limericks, Saturn's Celestial Void, Saturn's Celestial Sojourn

Avis habilis

Watching the sets wobble when an actor bumped into them was part of the charm. That & the streamers that used to blow out of the Daleks' ray guns to let people know when to fall down.

Sabby

Eh, Doctor Who is... Geez, how do I explain this without being lynched by an angry mob?

I don't HATE it... but I do think the new stuff is highly overrated. It has such a devoted fanbase, I feel like it's severe issues get completely ignored. I'll get the positive out of the way first. It does do a much better job of balancing it's silly and dark then most shows. It's by no means perfect, but I've seen it done worse.

Okay, the bad... the Doctor is a terrible character -.- I know I said the show has a good balance of dark and silly, but I don't feel like the Doctor is balanced. They try to portray him as a brooding survivor whose seen too much to ever heal or open up, but his Timelord condition has zero negative side effects, and he's on a constant sugar high. I do get that he keeps people around he can't connect with, and that's about the only legitimate character flaw he has, but the rest just boils down to 'boo hoo, I can't die, I'll get a new face, except when I don't get one, which is when I don't want one. I can die whenever I want to, but immortality is my curse, boo hoo'.

And his silly behaviour is a symptom of the worst problem. The writers are treating you like idiots guys >.> There's a reason the Doctor acts like keys being dangled in front of your face. It's so they can avoid actually explaining anything. Here's an example. The gang are locked up in a room. There's no way to escape. An unknown enemy is coming for them. They sit down and talk a while and then a robotic pig mutant shows up to kill them. Here's what typically happens.

The Doctor will mumble something brilliant, explaining the pig monsters existence and purpose in about 4 words while he 'hacks' the lock with that laserlight. Which he could have done before. A show running at a normal speed couldn't get away with this. You'd be screaming to the roof at the amount of contrived solutions the guy can just fling about. He has a Deus Ex Machina in his pocket. And now they need to kill the Robopig. How does he do it?

Brilliantly! Because there was a computer or something, and now his current lady friend has Timelord DNA, and that let's them reverse the something something on the something shift, because the Mutant's regenerative metabolism is something something reversed and now it eats itself because- no, wait, forget that, he shines his penlight on some cables and dances around yelling THATS IT. How brilliant he is.

And I think this really comes down to the characters premise. He's a 'pacifist action hero'. And that sounds interesting, but really, it just equates to someone who exists on screen, doing nothing proactive, just waiting for the mystery part of the plot to wind down so the SOLVE EVERYTHING button can fall in his lap and everyone can swoon over him when he presses it.

It sucks being a Timelord. You're constantly brilliant, you get to do whatever you want, no one ever makes you explain yourself, and you're just brilliant. It's his curse.

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on September 27, 2012, 01:30:50 PM
And I think this really comes down to the characters premise. He's a 'pacifist action hero'. And that sounds interesting, but really, it just equates to someone who exists on screen, doing nothing proactive, just waiting for the mystery part of the plot to wind down so the SOLVE EVERYTHING button can fall in his lap and everyone can swoon over him when he presses it.

It sucks being a Timelord. You're constantly brilliant, you get to do whatever you want, no one ever makes you explain yourself, and you're just brilliant. It's his curse.

This means MacGyver was a Timelord?!  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

McGyver explains simple tasks in simple form. Bag of gunpowder in a lock. Hit cap. Locks blown open. Simple. He's not...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Watching his is she/isn't she love interest make an entire army of Daleks lose their shit from a random panel because she touched Time and became a sort of Timelord and now has the power of talking really fast to hide the fact she's waving her arms to make magic disguised as sci-fi

Or...

Casually repairing a rocket that's been established as unfixable by shining his Screwdriver at a random cable

Or...

Killing a dozen Cybermen with his Screwdriver after a cliffhanger where he is cornered by them, something he will never use again

Or

The thousands of doors, panels, computers, locks, machines, vehicles and what have you that only get locked/unlocked/fixed when the action starts, yet they're always barred by some kind of door when the plot says they need to be stuck or trapped.

Or...

Those friggen Angels xD That's the biggest one for me. Here's these genuinely creepy weeping statues, no idea what they are, just that they want your soul and they're guna be in your nightmares. Then in comes bounding the Doctor like "Angels? PFFT! Time eating alien something, where ya been? Blimey"

Pretty much every episode boils down to 30 minutes of AWESOME build up, then The Doctor just waves it all away and jangles keys in your face by way of prancing and shouting how SIMPLE it all is! Can't believe I didn't see it before! See what? Do what now? Who cares! He's brilliant :3

Callie Del Noire

Sorry Sabby... we're going to have to stone you. Stand over by that wall while we collect a bunch of rocks. Sorry..has to be done.

Silverfyre

Yeah, it's stonin' time.  If you don't like the show, then don't watch it.

Sabby

1. Never said I didn't like it. 2. That's never a valid defence :P

Silverfyre

Your face.

Totally a valid defense.  :P

Sabby

If I hated Doctor Who, the constant key jingling and Deus Ex Machina wouldn't actually bother me. It's keeping me from enjoying a REALLY good but flawed show, and it boggles my mind how no one picks up on this stuff.

Silverfyre

It's a part of the flavor of the show.  It seems like it has been since day one.  It's a part of its tone and pacing, so I don't think it really should be considering since it is pretty much part of the basis of the show.  ~shrugs~

Sabby

Doesn't change it from being lazy and making the Doctor an unlikeable character :P It's just become easier to point out as the plots get more complex and you see just how many keys they have to jingle to pull off their magic tricks.

Silverfyre

It's lazy and the Doctor is unlikeable?  I find it to be the complete opposite but then again, I rather enjoy the show and how it is written, acted and paced.   I certainly beg to differ but whatever.  Your opinion.