(NCE System) Legend of the Five Rings: Why so serious?

Started by Muse, June 16, 2009, 07:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin

Unfortunatly I only have the Non Revised 3rd edition so I don't know if I can play. I called a friend to ask what the diffrence between the two books was and he said it was so small its not even funny. Mind you ths guy is the head of our Living Rokugan staff and answers to AEG directly so I think I can use my book to build. I would only get 95 Xp as opposed to your 125. He said the Result should come out the same. I built the character and yes with 95 XP I did come out with a 3rd level character.

Muse

Garg, what was I posting before it disapeared?  (Stupid internet exploder!) 

Okay, hairy, that's correct, you make the level 1 charecter and then raise it with expereince, however it seems that 125 isn't enough unless your charecter is ridiculously specialized.  (I'm a Bushi, I don't need no stinking ettiqutte!) 

So, to review, in a Crab province of no consenseqence, buisness as usual along the Wall keeps the Crab Clan too busy too root out the the source of the increasing numbers of peasent uprisings, but after the second slaughter the Crab didn't have the resources to deal with any other way, a concerend Crab courtier asked the Emperor for intervention. 

The emperor agreed that multiple peasent uprisings were always a concern, and worse in Crab lands where the well being of the Samurai was so vital to all others. 

He went to Kotetsu, a woman he trusted, and asked her to arange for a group to intevene before Crane or Unicorn--or worse, the Oni--took advantage, and she curtsied and aranged for an emerald magistrait named Jurai to lead the group of magistraits she assembled to the province to deal with the issue. 

But... 

What an odd band?  Jurai, a short old man of legendary leachery, and if you paid close attention to the rumor mill, the only ones on the team who didn't have similar stigma somwhere were unmaried women. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

HairyHeretic

According to the book, 125 XP on top of a normally created character should take them to rank 3 easily enough.

Muse, any thoughts on the other stuff I asked about? Access to other books, and the unofficial stuff?

Here's an example or two

Low Skills
Deceit
Emphasis: Obiesaseru
Obiesaseru: This Emphasis is a specialized form of intimidation, used
only by members of the Imperial families, the Imperial Guards, or the
Imperial Legions (including Emerald and Jade Magistrates on duty under
the Emerald or Jade Champion). By appealing to the target's belief
that the Imperial Legions are the best-trained samurai in the Empire,
and that the entire Celestial Order stands behind them, a member of
the Imperial House or someone with adequate status can freeze a
samurai in histracks. The Imperial character must successfully make a
Contested Willpower/Deceit (Obiesaseru) vs. the target's Willpower to
freeze it for one round (the target can move and defend normally, but
cannot approach or attack).
Raises can increase the duration or add targets. Against non-Rokugani,
this works the same as Intimidation. You must have a token of Imperial
authority in order to use
Obiesaseru.

Mastery Abilities
Rank 7: You gain a Free Raise for using Obiesaseru.

Rank 10: You may use Obiesaseru without a token of Imperial authority
but doing so increase your TN by 5.

Honor Loss: Obiesaseru does not incur an Honor Loss if used for
legitimate purpose by a member of the Imperial Guards or the Imperial
Legions (including Emerald or Jade Magistrates, as stated above).

Bugei Skill
Defense
Emphases: Spell Evasion, Technique Evasion, Trap Evasion, Yadomejutsu

Spell Evasion: This Emphasis allows avoiding hazards of supernatural
origin. The Emphasis bonus applies whenever rolling to avoid the
effects of spells, kiho, tattoos, and similar abilities (if such a
roll is required). Homebrew

Trap Evasion: This Emphasis allows avoiding mundane hazards and traps.
The Emphasis bonus applies whenever rolling to avoid traps, natural
pitfalls, and similar hazards (if such a roll is required). Homebrew,
inspired by Bearers of Jade p.15 and The Way of Shadow p.109

Yadomejutsu: While in the Full Attack posture, the character can cut
arrows aimed at someone within 10 feet (TN equal the archer's attack
roll). On Full Defense, the character can roll Agility/Defense
(Yadomejutsu) and add to his TN to be hit against all ranged attacks
he is aware of. (Note: Perceptive readers will realize that this is in
fact part of the Technique from the Tsuruchi's Swordsman. If using
Yadomejutsu as a skill instead of a School Technique, simply give the
Tsuruchi Swordsman the benefit of 2 Free Raises on any Yadomejutsu
skill rolls.) Updated from Secrets of the Mantis p.67

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Paladin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 17, 2009, 01:47:18 PM
According to the book, 125 XP on top of a normally created character should take them to rank 3 easily enough.

Muse, any thoughts on the other stuff I asked about? Access to other books, and the unofficial stuff?

Indeed it should hairy. I know I built the character using my 3rd ed unrevised (Wich from what I've heard the reviesed edition didn't need to be made. Its AEG looking for mour money) and the 95 points for level 3 is correct. I was 187 for 175. Thats 12 point into the middle of the character. I'm gonna try and see about adjusting that to 175 exactly. I will have to ues my 3rd version and rules as I don't have revised and don't intent to get it but I have it on good authority. (See my post above) That it all still calculates out just as evenly.

LordAnubis

The extra beyond the 90 normally for a 3rd level character is because Muse wants to reliably be able to make us rank 4 before the final fight, we figured a range that should be able to get you guys close enough to rank 4 that you can get rank 4 without requiring him to give us tons of XP beyond the norm.

So it would actually behouve you to strech a bit so your close enough you can be rank 4.

And for revised, some of what they gave us was very much needed, but could have done it without a new core book.  Given that their RPG sales are crap, them grabbing for any extra cash might not be a bad thing.

Most of character creation is the same and if your doing Mirumoto Bushi, nothing was changed from editions, so it won't cause you strife.

Paladin

Quote from: LordAnubis on June 17, 2009, 04:09:46 PM
The extra beyond the 90 normally for a 3rd level character is because Muse wants to reliably be able to make us rank 4 before the final fight, we figured a range that should be able to get you guys close enough to rank 4 that you can get rank 4 without requiring him to give us tons of XP beyond the norm.

So it would actually behouve you to strech a bit so your close enough you can be rank 4.

And for revised, some of what they gave us was very much needed, but could have done it without a new core book.  Given that their RPG sales are crap, them grabbing for any extra cash might not be a bad thing.

Most of character creation is the same and if your doing Mirumoto Bushi, nothing was changed from editions, so it won't cause you strife.

Yea thats what I was told on the creation. Still Ill stick with 95 points. It got me to 187 wich is only a few points from the 200 that is level 4.

Muse

i'm actualy not in a huge hurry to get us to four.  We have game time for that. 

I just wanted some versatility.  maybe i just need to try another test build, and see some of these builds.  i wish i could see a cannon charecter. 

i mean, people keep hissing at me at how political L5R is, doesn't that sugest that a smurai should have some politcal skills? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 17, 2009, 01:47:18 PM

Here's an example or two

Low Skills
Deceit
Emphasis: Obiesaseru
Obiesaseru: This Emphasis is a specialized form of intimidation, used
only by members of the Imperial families, the Imperial Guards, or the
Imperial Legions (including Emerald and Jade Magistrates on duty under
the Emerald or Jade Champion). By appealing to the target's belief
that the Imperial Legions are the best-trained samurai in the Empire,
and that the entire Celestial Order stands behind them, a member of
the Imperial House or someone with adequate status can freeze a
samurai in histracks. The Imperial character must successfully make a
Contested Willpower/Deceit (Obiesaseru) vs. the target's Willpower to
freeze it for one round (the target can move and defend normally, but
cannot approach or attack).
Raises can increase the duration or add targets. Against non-Rokugani,
this works the same as Intimidation. You must have a token of Imperial
authority in order to use
Obiesaseru.

Mastery Abilities
Rank 7: You gain a Free Raise for using Obiesaseru.

Rank 10: You may use Obiesaseru without a token of Imperial authority
but doing so increase your TN by 5.

Honor Loss: Obiesaseru does not incur an Honor Loss if used for
legitimate purpose by a member of the Imperial Guards or the Imperial
Legions (including Emerald or Jade Magistrates, as stated above).

Bugei Skill
Defense
Emphases: Spell Evasion, Technique Evasion, Trap Evasion, Yadomejutsu

Spell Evasion: This Emphasis allows avoiding hazards of supernatural
origin. The Emphasis bonus applies whenever rolling to avoid the
effects of spells, kiho, tattoos, and similar abilities (if such a
roll is required). Homebrew

Trap Evasion: This Emphasis allows avoiding mundane hazards and traps.
The Emphasis bonus applies whenever rolling to avoid traps, natural
pitfalls, and similar hazards (if such a roll is required). Homebrew,
inspired by Bearers of Jade p.15 and The Way of Shadow p.109

Yadomejutsu: While in the Full Attack posture, the character can cut
arrows aimed at someone within 10 feet (TN equal the archer's attack
roll). On Full Defense, the character can roll Agility/Defense
(Yadomejutsu) and add to his TN to be hit against all ranged attacks
he is aware of. (Note: Perceptive readers will realize that this is in
fact part of the Technique from the Tsuruchi's Swordsman. If using
Yadomejutsu as a skill instead of a School Technique, simply give the
Tsuruchi Swordsman the benefit of 2 Free Raises on any Yadomejutsu
skill rolls.) Updated from Secrets of the Mantis p.67

Hairy, I only have right now the core book and creatures of Rokugan.  i like these hat your showing me here, but it's going to be tricky. 

HairyHeretic

I have all the books, so if you want something checked, let me know :)

Those came from http://www.musha-shugyo.com/index.php (and their 3rd issue is just out ... must download and check it out). They've taken a lot of stuff from the 1st and 2nd ed books, schools and such like, and updated them to 3rd. If you look at the L5R official forums, the guys there have said this stuff isn't official, but its the next best thing til the official stuff comes around.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

Okay, so just a teeny,tiny house rule: 

Players of the 'samurai virgins' gain 5 extra build points.  They allso gain the benefits of the Kharmicly Bound merit with the others.  I prefer we try not to have these girls clan overlap. 

Other players must buy some sort of amarous or lustful drawback, even if it's True Love and Fascination iwth nagas.  Up to five points of these drawbcks do not count against your maximum of flaws. 

If you'd like special equipment, you may buy it with with extra starting Koku = 1 + Honor + Ranks in Wealth + Station X6

Paladin

Quote from: Muse on June 17, 2009, 05:57:24 PM
Okay, so just a teeny,tiny house rule: 

Players of the 'samurai virgins' gain 5 extra build points.  They allso gain the benefits of the Kharmicly Bound merit with the others.  I prefer we try not to have these girls clan overlap. 

Other players must buy some sort of amarous or lustful drawback, even if it's True Love and Fascination iwth nagas.  Up to five points of these drawbcks do not count against your maximum of flaws. 

If you'd like special equipment, you may buy it with with extra starting Koku = 1 + Honor + Ranks in Wealth + Station X6

So you using my drawbacks at examples, and I take it we can have 15 points worth of drawbacks instead of just ten? I don't quite understand that.

Muse

if you can turn True love and fascination with nagas into 5 poitns woth of drawbacks, then yes, you can have fifteen points worth. 

Does that help? 

How about i put it this way, subject to GM review, up to 5 points of drawbacks that make your charecter more suited to the theme of "Why so serious" on E may surpass the normal cap of 10. 

Muse

Can anyone offer one of our shyer aplicants link to a particularly comely ilustration of a Crane Samurai-ko Bushi? 

Pumpkin Seeds

Well this is probably the one I'd like to use since I was leaning toward the Crane Clan.

Muse

this is a 225 EXP build for a crane yojimbo who'e barely level 3.  Could I get some feedback from experienced plyers please? 

Air      4
Earth      3   Stamina 4
Fire      3
Water      2
Void      3/3

Flaws: 
+6   Bad Luck   (2 rerolls against you per game day.) 
+2   Compulsion   (Though overlooked for it's importance as a teacher of tactics, she and her Sensei Takumi were both compulsive lovers of the game of Shogi.) 
+2   Idealistic
+5   Plot Device

Merits: 
2   Ally:  Takumi-sensei:      A shogi-loving master of the Daidoji Yojimbo School is quite fond of his gifted pupil. 

3   Ally: Dodji-   Megumi      Her clanswoman Megumi, a Shugenja (samurai caste practitioner of elemental magic) recently retired from serving the emperor in a military fashion by making a good marriage and reting to tend the estates and serve at court.  Yukiko was her trusted bodyguard for 3 years, and thus she values Yukiko greatly and may be willing to use her new found influence if aproached politely.        

5   Ballance: 

2   Benten's Blessing:      Her Beauty and natural charm give +1/+2 dice to persuade people. 

2   Fleet:            +10' to her speed.   

8   Inheritence: Sacred Tea Set   Recieved from her grandmother after her funeral. 

2   Quick healer         +2 to Stamina for the purposes of healing. 

4   Strength of the Earth:      -10 to Wound Penalties

3   Wealth             +4      

SKILL: 

Athletics      3

Battle         3   (Skirmish)

Courtier      3

Defense         5   (Armored

Divination      3   (Omens)
   (Her peasent nurse was always looking for omens.) 

Ettiquitte      3

Games: Shogi      5

Iajutsu         3

Investigation      3   (Notice)

Kenjutsu      5   (Katana)

Kyujutsu      3

Medecine      5   (Antidotes, Diseases, Wounds)

Spears:         3   (Yari)

Spellcraft      2

Tea Ceremony      5
   (Her grandmother was her first instructor in this holy meditiaton, it was what they did together.) 

10   Kata

EXp   221
INSIGHT   178

HairyHeretic

What family and school? As a yojimbo a Kakita is probably a good choice, in which case you might want to trade out the points in kenjutsu for iaijutsu, as you can substitute the iaijutsu for the kenjutsu thanks to the school ability.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

There used to be an actual yojimbo school though for the Crane.  I forget the family off-hand though that ran this school.  They were the underhanded family of the Crane Clan.

Muse

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 18, 2009, 02:11:20 AM
What family and school? As a yojimbo a Kakita is probably a good choice, in which case you might want to trade out the points in kenjutsu for iaijutsu, as you can substitute the iaijutsu for the kenjutsu thanks to the school ability.

Daidoji is the family, the famy founded by Hayaku who brougt back Katika's katana from the shadowlands. 

Daidoji Yukiko of the Daidoji Yojimbo school.  i doubt they're an underhanded family, or at least school, their school's abilities are often based on honor. 

Pumpkin Seeds

Depends on how you interpret honor.  Duty to sacrifice one's name for the honor of their clan and family.  :: sticks out tongue:: Remember, the Scorpion believe themselves to be quite honorable.

LordAnubis

Well, i can promise the Yojimbo school they have is definatly not underhanded.  Psychos start sporting an honor of five, now where to go but down from there.

And yes, we are very honorable...  *hides my posion*

Muse

*Chuckles* 

so, can someone tell me if that build is broken and I just don't know it? 

LordAnubis

Doesn't seem broken, someone with low TN to hit will love you though, your rank three ability makes someone very happy.

LordAnubis

I'm currently trying to work a completely unarmed build for my Shinobi.  Only slightly cheesy.

Muse

all right: 

Official charecter build statment.

225 EXP and insight rank 3.  if you can keep it around 180-188 Inisight I'll be quite pleased. 

And thanks, anumbis, I'll clean her up, take her to our shy aplicant, and see if I can get her in to come talk somewhere.  Maybe put up a board. 

Early morning snack time. 

LordAnubis

With that, I can definatly make a well versed Shinobi.

Except this i insight 211.  You get 2 insight for every skill at rank 5.