Harry Potter Interest Check.

Started by Wolfy, May 12, 2012, 01:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

Well, I think it's time for a poll.

Do you guys want to be in school at Hogwarts or post grad?  If post grad, what would the setting be?  I personally think Hogwarts is better, as people know and seem to like that setting, as it allows for House rivalry, quidditch, teacher/student pairings, etc.  Also, I've posted an interest thread for a post Hogwarts HP game and it only has one hit. 

It seems most people like the idea of this being after the novels, but how long?  Five years maybe?  We can say the school was closed for three of them,  which should handle the age issue almost completely.  Anyone 3rd year and up could be 16+. 

Also, who here is opposed to a light system?  I am about halfway done with converting Song of Ice and Fire, and it is already fully capable of handling Quidditch matches, social skills, and general actions.  I am still polishing magical combat, as that is completely absent from the original system.   

Also, since nothing has been said on the issue, I strongly prefer each player only having one character.

Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

usha

I love the idea of playing at the school and the closing would neatly handle just about anything while still allowing us to explore the learning of magic and test our relationships with those around us. Also, five years after the books end would be just about perfect. The chaos would be mellowing out (minus the beauracratic Ministry stuff, they'll be dealing with -that- forever!),people might think it is somewhat safe once more (after all, he came back before!), and I loved the idea that was pitched that a few rogue wizards/witches would be scrambling for who would hold the title next. So much potential for the young and magically gifted!

I'm not opposed to a light system at all, however I have little to no experience with it. If no one minds that I might be a little confused at some points and may require a little hand holding, count me in!

One character is all I need!

Apple of Eris

Whelp, I'm still interested, just lurking the thread still while you all make the important decisions.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Jezebell

tsc

Still interested.  More interested in Hogwarts than a post-graduation thing, and I have no problem with playing with a system or without.

Apple of Eris

I def prefer at hogwarts than post-grad, and post voldy works well also.

Actually, pretty much whatever kckolbe said works for me.

I don't know systems, but it's the setting I want, so as long as someone can clue me in on a system if we use it, I'm down.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

kckolbe

Well, looks like we definitely have enough people on board to give this a go.  So I suppose the important question now is "who is the new villain?"  Personally, I'd rather it be a PC, and since we will have a system that allows for combat, we don't have to worry about pvp being a problem.  I suppose it is best to let whoever the new villain is choose his role and background.  Perhaps he is an instructor looking to gain power now that the Death Eaters have fallen?  Maybe he was a new student when Dumbledore's Army formed, and he has been slowly working on members from within and turning it into a bit of a dark cult.  Just to sweeten the deal, I will have a slight mechanical bonus for whoever plays our head villain, because we don't want him to be a pushover.

Since this thread remains Wolfy's, I won't create anything.  I may have hijacked the planning, but I want to make sure he is okay with me outright hijacking the game.  If I do end up running it, I should let you know that I like to do a lot of discussion before starting IC posts.  After all, we will be playing chars that have gone to the same school, so it makes sense to spend some time working out which characters are rivals, friends, already dating, or maybe even used to date and broken up.

Seeing as how a lot of this planning can be done while you guys are learning the system, I don't think it will take as long.

As for the system itself, it should be ready for character creation within two days or so, and then I will just need to finish compiling all of the spells from the books into a list with difficulty rating and what type of spell it is.  I did some basic play testing on it last night and was pretty happy with the balance in combat so far.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Jezebell

I would love to play the main villain. As long as it's alright if the he is a she....?

Bobbacca

Quote from: kckolbe on May 28, 2012, 02:40:02 AM
Well, I think it's time for a poll.

Do you guys want to be in school at Hogwarts or post grad?  If post grad, what would the setting be?  I personally think Hogwarts is better, as people know and seem to like that setting, as it allows for House rivalry, quidditch, teacher/student pairings, etc.  Also, I've posted an interest thread for a post Hogwarts HP game and it only has one hit. 

It seems most people like the idea of this being after the novels, but how long?  Five years maybe?  We can say the school was closed for three of them,  which should handle the age issue almost completely.  Anyone 3rd year and up could be 16+. 

Also, who here is opposed to a light system?  I am about halfway done with converting Song of Ice and Fire, and it is already fully capable of handling Quidditch matches, social skills, and general actions.  I am still polishing magical combat, as that is completely absent from the original system.   

Also, since nothing has been said on the issue, I strongly prefer each player only having one character.

I prefer post-grad, but I'll play at Hogwarts if that's what everyone else wants.  Especially with the three-year closing.  The light system sounds fun.  And I generally assume only one character unless multiple characters are explicitly stated. :)
"Well, I can be them probably as well as I can be you.  And of course, you can be you better than I can be you.  But if you're them and I'm you, everyone is thinking outside the box." -Tycho Celchu, Rebel Dream

kckolbe

Jezebell, having a she for a villain is perfectly fine.  PM me with your ideas and we'll hash it out.  By the way, Wolfy has given me permission to go ahead with running this game.  I would be interested in a co-GM if anyone is into to that kinda thing.  I do great with characterization, systems, and ideas, but am not particularly good at playing NPCs.

So, I can start throwing threads up today. I guess system/non-consensual human wins by process of elimination, since there is no system section for bondage. 

Intro Thread

kckolbe

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=141607.0 (System Rules Thread)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=141610.0 (Questions Thread)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=141612.0 (OOC)

More threads will be posted tomorrow, as I apparently forgot to e-mail them to myself.  By the way, I cannot access E while at work, so I work on the game there and then e-mail it to my hotmail account to post later.  I promise I've written more on the rules than I have posted.  Qualities/Drawbacks and Wand Traits are pretty much done and will be up tomorrow.

In addition to a GM, if anyone wants to play a canon character or member of staff, please say so.

Intro Thread

Sarah Morgan

Count me interested in this too!  I haven't yet done any RP in the HP universe, so this should be fun!  The system sounds kind of complicated, but I'm hoping it'll make more sense as the rules/dice are used in game context.

kckolbe

The system is very easy to understand once you start playing.  The game I am adapting from came second place for best rules system and I have trimmed out a lot of it.  Mass Warfare and House Creation were completely deleted, and combat was streamlined quite a bit.  There's a lot of text, but a lot of the things posted are optional.  Qualities/Drawbacks and Wand Traits are not required for students, and adults only need to take one flaw.

I'm also working up a step by step guide to things like Quidditch and Wizard duels so you guys won't have to guess.

Intro Thread

AribethAmkiir

This game sounds very intriguing and I am interested in it. 

I do, however, have some questions that aren't purely related to the game.  I know there was a lot of talk about getting the characters to the appropriate age, but then there was mention of 16+ being appropriate.  From my understanding of laws around here, characters involved in sexual themes need to be 18+.  I guess my question is, are characters going to be 18+ or are some of them going to be minors?

kckolbe

That might be my fault.  I thought 16 was the minimum age on E, though I tend to like RPwith older characters so haven't really had to deal with it. Anyone have the actual rule?

Also, we would love to have you. 

Intro Thread

tsc

Here's the rules thread:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=98632.0

*Players* must be 18 years or older.  *Characters* must be 16 or older, according to it.

AribethAmkiir

I know E's rules are 16+, but I still think the laws here are 18+, though not 100% sure on that.

Actually, I think I've done enough research to assuage my fears.  Thanks again for the link to E's policies, and I'm looking forward to playing with all of you.