Urban fantasy/supernatural: Fast-PbP, System-Lite (Recruiting)

Started by Moraline, September 01, 2013, 01:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moraline

Recruiting for the expanded world will begin shortly.
We will be looking for players to play supernatural creatures, and to fill in other roles.
I'll provide more information over the next several days.
The new recruits won't be committed to any "game nights," it will just be regular system-lite postings.
Post here if you're possibly interested.

A tale of urban fantasy and the supernatural
"... The game is a cross between The Dresden Files, Supernatural(TV show), and a bit like the RPG - Beyond the Supernatural.

I will be looking for creative flexible players that can go with the flow and be capable giving a lot of posts in short periods of time.
"

The Arcanists information from the first group
How it begins...

There is a field of mist laying over the parking lot of your school.  The colors are all washed out and it's night but the lot is full of cars.  In the window of an upper floor classroom you spot a shadow that strikes a familiar chord.  It beckons in an ethereal cold voice.  "The time has come..."  It repeats a few times but fades into a whisper.  The essence of sleep fades...

You wake with wide frantic eyes, jolting upright in a shivering sweat and your breath billows out as ice cold mist.  The blackness of your room has a surreal feel for a moment.  You are sure you don't belong here and the urge to run away grips you.  All around is darkness and the heavy air of a warm humid summer night.  Off to the right of your bed the alarm clock reads 12:00.  Shadows dance around the room as you sit on the edge.  Did those shadows look like little people?  The thoughts of an addled mind it is safe to assume.  You need air so you move to open the bedroom window.  Looking to the ground below a creeping fog retreats down the street, slinking over cars and around the neighbors buildings.  It almost feels like it's running from you, shrinking... contracting.  It's a feeling you can't shake. 

This is going to be a long sleepless night and you've got school in the morning.

OOCGeneral Concepts

A tale of urban fantasy and the supernatural
The plot of the game will follow the lives of four ordinary young people that discover their hidden arcanist talents, and a mystic world of the supernatural. The game is a cross between The Dresden Files, Supernatural(TV show), and a bit like the RPG - Beyond the Supernatural.

I will be looking for creative flexible players that can go with the flow and be capable giving a lot of posts in short periods of time.

*Continue reading below for more information if you think this is for you.*

The tale in it's first three parts

Scenario 1

We will begin Scenario 1 in the Non-Adult section with the characters at the ages of 13-16. (This is just temporary because of the ages.)
* Please no character images of any kind and nothing sexual in the RP at all. It will be in the Non-Adult section to avoid any potential misunderstandings

As young people they hear the call of something deeply frightening and life altering. Events will lead them to run away from home, discover the first of their mystic abilities, and introduce them to the world of magic, the occult, and supernatural things. (Including their fairy godmother.)

Scenario 2

We move ahead three years so the characters are now aged 16-19. This will take place in the Adult section of the forums where it will stay from here on out.
In Scenario 2 the characters will discover and master the second of their arcanist abilities. Characters will also begin to specialize more so now.

Over the last three years the characters are able to live mostly normal lives but this scenario will see the characters go up against the supernatural in a way that they have never done before. This event will see them become full fledged arcanists and introduce them to the secretive Council of Venice, an order of arcanists tasked with governance over humans with mystic abilities.

Scenario 3

Moving ahead another 3 years the characters will now be aged 19-22. They will be full fledged veteran arcanists with an array of new mystic abilities that compliment the specialized talent choice from scenario 2. The world is a much more dangerous place for them now and a secret war is being fought in the shadows with our characters in the front lines of it.

The Bones
- The intent is to bring together a small group of players (4). *edit* This is flexible depending on interest levels and roles
- The game has planned, so far, 3 Scenario evenings where I will GM out closely guided scenarios involving simple dice rolls by the player characters.This is to be done in rapid fire Play by Post forum threads.
- The posts by players for the guided scenarios will be shorter then usual posts, only requiring a few lines of text to keep the game moving fast. *On these nights the expectation is for players to make many posts in rapid succession along with other players*
- Scenario Night Time Frames: Aiming in the range of 6pm - Midnight (East Coast USA -5 GMT timezone) *Exact night(s) to be discussed in thread*
- On all other nights the game will be in Freeform style and be less guided by the GM (me). Freeform posts are expected to be longer posts with several lines of text at minimum.

What about the system? Super easy 1 roll system with no complicated modifiers etc..
- This is going to be unique in that I am not going to use a system.
- As players you will be expected to ask the GM if you are able to do actions and I will tell you: Yes, No, or Roll dice ____.
If a dice roll is needed I will give you a target to roll usually out of 100%. These numbers will vary based on the difficulty of the action to be performed. The percentage number needed to complete the action will be decided by the GM and not open for debate. Most minor actions will not require dice rolls but at the same time those requiring dice rolls will usually be resolved with a single dice roll.
- I may put characters in situations where they stand a good chance of losing a challenge of some type but I do not kill player characters. Most everything will have a way to be cured or healed but some scars may remain.
- This is a game of going with the flow and trusting the GM. If you can't go with the flow then this game isn't for you.
Dicebot Images/Explanation

*Click Images to enlarge and again to shrink it back up.

Step 1: Find the Dicebot. (Or click this link here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/dicebot.php)

Step 2: The layout of the land, adding - character name and random number range.

Step 3: Filled out example.

Step 4: The results.

Step 5: Getting a line of code to copy into your post to display your results to the world.

- What it will look like if someone clicks on the link in your post. -

Main Points:

• 4 players - 2 males, 2 females *edit* This is flexible depending on interest levels and roles   
  • 3 GM guided scenarios(to begin with) taking place over the span of six in-character years from youth to adulthood.   
  • The scenario nights will have the expectation of fast posts, dice rolls, and a GM led system 
  • Scenario Night Time Frames: Aiming in the range of 6pm - Midnight (East Coast USA -5 GMT timezone)
    *Exact night(s) to be discussed in thread* 
  • Note: Super easy 1 roll system with no complicated modifiers etc.. 
  • Most nights it will be freeform in the main threads 
QuoteNote: I'm totally open to having more female arcanists join us but I'll probably cap the GM'd Scenario group at 5 characters in total.
I just want to keep that fast PbP GM'd Scenario group small to make the game play smooth on it. (We can optionally talk about other group nights if we get a lot of interest.)
Also, the game has plenty of room for player expansion as well for other character types once we move back into the Adult forums section during Scenario 2.

Character profile and expectations

Characters will be just normal teenagers but must be good people (No bad/evil). Try to make them a little interesting and creative. Remember, they will have 6 years worth of growth and changes as the game progresses.

See below for a copy/paste character profile with notes.

[color=maroon][b]<Character Name>[/b][/color]
[b]Player Name[/b]: <insert your name here>
[b]Description[/b]: <starting age (13-16), describe general appearance at this age (pick an image for your character for when they are 6 years older but don't post it yet)>

[b]Clichés[/b]  <pick a few things that they are really good at or are important to them. EX: arts, sports, computers, gaming, hobbies, and/or school stuff, etc then post them in bullet point form below.>
[list]
[li]<insert text here>  [/li]
[li]<insert text here>  [/li]
[/list]

[b]Tools[/b]: <Things they usually carry with them or are important to the above clichés>

[b]Hooks[/b]: <personality traits or anything else that you feel is important about the character such a quirk, a habit, or whatever. Make your character interesting.>

[b]Tales[/b]: <The young character's important life stories or anecdotes up until this point in their lives.Try to come up with at least one good item to help define them or draw interest to their lives.>

Character profiles so far:
GM and Fairy godmother by Me (Moraline) *EDIT* I don't count in player totals
Maggie Foss by Ixy
Neela Roland by RainyHigh
Al Birche by TheHangedMan
Jeong Soo-Jin by Lithium
Robert Long by London

FAQ's & Important Information

• Player Oath "The Oath of the Drake" (click me).   
    Read it and post at the bottom of your character sheet, "I agree to and understand The Oath of the Drake". Failure to do this will mean that I will not even consider your application to join the game. Yes, this is a test to see if you read everything or not. 
  • What section will this game be placed in?
    We are starting in the Non-Adult section but the game will quickly move to the Adult section in the second Scenario when the characters come of age.
    Once in the Adult section we will move into the N/C Exotic. Remember that any Player must give full consent before any N/C can occur with their characters.
  • How much sexual activity is likely to occur or expected, if any?
    First scenario will be NONE as characters are underage. Once we move into the Adult forums I will post a thread specifically for all of the stuff that happens when the characters are alone and it can get as naughty as players want to with each other. The main adventure threads will have only minimal sexual content depending on the nature of the arcanists and encounters in scenarios.
  • ... <More to come if any questions arise in this thread> ...
  •  
  •  

MzHyde

What nights do you see these 'Scenario Nights' taking place on? Because I work nights most days of the week except for Saturday and Sunday. So if you're planning on doing it during the week I'm out completely. How many nights a week will this happen? It will be hard to get players' schedules to align. What if someone misses a night?

Moraline

Quote from: MzHyde on September 01, 2013, 01:48:34 AM
What nights do you see these 'Scenario Nights' taking place on? Because I work nights most days of the week except for Saturday and Sunday. So if you're planning on doing it during the week I'm out completely.
First let me say, "Thank you for asking these questions."

I'm available any night as long as I plan for it a few days ahead of time. So all good with me on any night.

I rather like a nice Saturday night because we may be able start earlier and stuff but I'm waiting to see what potential players are thinking first then select players from the group I can get a consensus on.

May I consider you interested?

*Note: there also maybe more room for other players for other aspects of the game if there is enough interest.

QuoteHow many nights a week will this happen? It will be hard to get players' schedules to align.
I'm aiming to get each of the scenarios done in one night each. I plan on keeping the GM'd scenario nights simple and fast. Then letting the freeform aspect of the game flow naturally around it at peoples leisure.

QuoteWhat if someone misses a night?
The intent is to get each scenario done in a single night to minimize that possibility.

arkhos

Awesome idea Mora, but due to working evening shifts, and family-stuff, I really can't commit to evenings unfortunately. :(

Definitely hoping you have a great time with this! VERY interesting plot-line! :)

-ark
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

GhettoMagick

I really like this idea, its new and fun. Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about dice roleplay. and I have a crazy wacky life some days (like today) I could be on elliquiy all day others I check in like once in the morning and I gone for the next 36 hours. So I don't think I could commit either.

If this was a regular forum roleplay than yeah I would totes be on board. I'm sorry.

I hope you find lots off peeps interested sounds like a lot of fun.
I wanna be loved by you. Just you. And everyone else too. I wanna be loved by everyone. ;o)

Moraline

Quote from: GhettoMagick on September 01, 2013, 02:37:54 AM
I really like this idea, its new and fun. Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about dice roleplay. and I have a crazy wacky life some days (like today) I could be on elliquiy all day others I check in like once in the morning and I gone for the next 36 hours. So I don't think I could commit either.

If this was a regular forum roleplay than yeah I would totes be on board. I'm sorry.

I hope you find lots off peeps interested sounds like a lot of fun.

Quote from: arkhos on September 01, 2013, 02:30:36 AM
Awesome idea Mora, but due to working evening shifts, and family-stuff, I really can't commit to evenings unfortunately. :(

Definitely hoping you have a great time with this! VERY interesting plot-line! :)

-ark

That's okay guys. Thanks for coming by. 

Shoot me a quick PM if you'd be interested later on in being part of the expanded role play(no full evening commitments.) I'm considering having players be representatives of the Council of Venice and various other supernatural factions too.

@GhettoMagick - I included a little simple 5 step image based "Elliquiy dicebot" tutorial in my main post. Check it out sometime, it's really easy to use.

RainyHigh

Thank you for the PM this is definitely something I am interested in especially since it is system lite. I can wet my feet at the right pace. I will bookmark this thread and finish the character map sometime today.
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

doodasaurus

Edit: Ah, sorry, there is a requirement to take an oath.  It is against my beliefs to do so, so I can't be in the game.

Moraline

Quote from: doodasaurus on September 01, 2013, 10:09:58 AM
Edit: Ah, sorry, there is a requirement to take an oath.  It is against my beliefs to do so, so I can't be in the game.
It's not that kind of oath. It's not religious or even profound in nature. The Oath of the Drake is a sort of gentlemen's RP agreement that you as a player will try to be a part of the RP, be a good group member, and make efforts to understand the spirit of the game. I've never signed it either but I do agree to it in spirit and that's all I ask of my players. Plus as stated, it's clearly a test to see if you read everything and kudos to you for reading it all.

I don't really think that I'm asking too much but if it's not for you then that's okay too. I wish you the best out there.

RainyHigh

I read everything but didn't click the part under the code, but the drake's oath is alright with me.

Also Saturday nights work for me unless I have a night out planned.
Rainy's Ons and Offs

Moraline

Quote from: RainyHigh on September 01, 2013, 10:55:12 AM
I read everything but didn't click the part under the code, but the drake's oath is alright with me.

Also Saturday nights work for me unless I have a night out planned.
Sounds great!

I've already seen your character but go ahead and post your character profile here for others to see (minus the image and portion about when she's grown up.)

Ixy

I've already expressed interest in PM, but I'd like to ask a couple of questions here as well.

What are you considering as the setting for the first stage-- a small town, or any particular cultural background?  Just as that might influence my character's background somewhat.

Second-- I don't have a specific 'flavor' of mystical ability in mind.  Is this something that, based on the character personality and history, you would help us define and create?

Moraline

Quote from: Ixy on September 01, 2013, 11:13:32 AM
I've already expressed interest in PM, but I'd like to ask a couple of questions here as well.
Hi Ixy! Thanks for asking questions. I like questions because they usually help out everyone.

QuoteWhat are you considering as the setting for the first stage-- a small town, or any particular cultural background?  Just as that might influence my character's background somewhat.
I'm going with a modern major city setting with no defined name or location. A completely fictional city. I like a good metropolitan setting to allow for a variety of cultural backgrounds. If I were to define it, I would say that it will be a coastal city location with beaches, a large busy inner city, ghettos, sprawling burbs, and cultural communities (like a Chinatown, Little Italy, Middle Eastern influences, etc... )

We'll probably start in the burbs at a small junior high school with a mix of affluent kids and poor.

I'm personally from Canada so chances are the location will have a distinctly American/Canadian flare overall as it's what I know best.

QuoteSecond-- I don't have a specific 'flavor' of mystical ability in mind.  Is this something that, based on the character personality and history, you would help us define and create?
The first ability will be basic and earned during play. I don't want to give out too many spoilers as I like a bit of surprise during play through. I will give this ability directly but you'll each have a form of input on it.

I'm not sure if you've ever read the Dresden Files but magic will be a bit like that. There will be big evocation spells (things like throwing flames or lightning), there will be wards/runes that can be cast on objects, circle magic for summoning/stationary spells, and mental almost psychic type abilities.

I guess the best way to describe it is that at first the arcane ability will be simple but spectacular to give the characters a sense of power and awe. However, as we move into Scenario 2 we'll work together to talk about and define the type of mystic abilities you'd like to see your Arcanist have. Each Scenario will see new abilities added.

RainyHigh

Neela Roland
Player Name: Rainy High
Description: Starting age is 16. Neela is an Eastern Indian raised in America from a young age. She has long brown straight hair, brown eyes, and light caramel colored skin. She starts in the story as being 4'11" tall and 120 pounds.

Clichés 
Basketball
Soccer
Hair and Make-Up
Cooking

Tools
Wallet, mascara, lip gloss, cell phone.

Hooks
Neela is a optimistic person. She believes as long as your body and mind are healthy your life is good. Neela's greatest fear as the story sets out is that she will not make the starting line for her basketball team because she is too short. Neela's religious views are Christian as the story sets out. She is raised Christian by her adoptive family. In the classroom, Neela is serious about her studies; she will joke from time to time but not as often as she would outside the classroom. At school (not inside a classroom), Neela is chatty with her close friends and smiles at most people including kids that growl at the sight of anything moving. Friendly is how most people would describe her. She is shy when meeting people but once she knows them; she can talk their ear off.

Tales
Neela was born in India and given up for adoption at the age of two. The Roland family took her to America shortly after and her home has been with them ever since. As a child Neela was bony had braces and huge eyeglasses. It was not until she was 13 that she began to wear cool eyeglasses, her braces were gone and she finally stopped looking like skin and bones.

When she was 6 years old, Neela went to the lake with her family. She was sitting on the shore watching strange scorpion like bugs crawling around. When she told her mother about them, her mother told her she was seeing things. One bit Neela the same day and her mother told her she must have mistaken the scorpion like bugs for something else. Scorpions did not exist in their area of the country. However, Neela was not faking the burning sensation in her foot after being bit.
Rainy's Ons and Offs

Ixy

Maggie Foss
Player Name: Ixy
Description: At age 15, Mags is a long-limbed, slender girl with coppery hair and pale skin.  Tomboyish and self-conscious, she goes to great lengths to avoid being the center of attention in class, social events, and in the streets.  She carries her thin shoulders low, frequently dons a worn-out ballcap low over her eyes, and hugs a denim jacket close to her when she sleeps through class, lingers in the back of the bus, or glances up uncomfortably between sentences as she passes you in the hall.

Clichés

• Outdoorsy
  • Street-smart
  • Music: guitar, voice (rock)
  • Vocational: shop, repair, improvement
  • Cross-country runner
  • Sneaky

Tools:

• Sharpie
  • Boots
  • Denim Jacket
  • Walkman
  • Gym bag/shoes

Hooks:

Maggie picks up the slack for her deadbeat mother and incarcerated father, working hours after school to provide for them and cleaning bottles from their two-bedroom apartment by herself before her kid siblings get there.   She's a teenage girl in most ways-- she gets crushes, she listens to music, she is self-conscious and she's impulsively emotional-- but in a lot of ways she has had to grow up quickly, forfeiting free time, self-development, and much-needed socializing.  Still, she carries it silently, stays to the fringes and gets by as best she can.  Cross-country is a big 'escape' for her, and she loves to lose herself in the music through her headphones as she runs, tuning out the world, disappearing into her own head while the world glides by one stride at a time.

Tales:

• Before her father was incarcerated, Mags' family camped out often, and she was often expected to tag along on his hunting trips.  She learned that she was sneaky enough to 'lose' her step-father eventually, and finally did so successfully at age 11.  Her father had drug her along on a particularly bad autumn trip in early deer season (her least favorite, as she loved deer), so-- under-supplied and miserable, she took her father's ammunition and disappeared into the forest one night.  Forest rangers were combing the woods and were prepared to alert authorities the next day when it was discovered that Mags, comfortable and safe, was at the family's apartment in the city, thirty-seven miles away from the woods where she'd left the hunt.
  • Mags joined the cross-country team last year as part of an agreement with a few faculty members at the school, who convinced her mother that the frequently-suspended girl needed to participate in an after-school activity to appease social workers who were threatening to take her from her home due to her truency and low academic performance.  In truth, Mags joined the team because it is the only break she gets from home.  She is avoiding her alcoholic mother who, without her husband's income since his 4-year sentence for assault and drunken/disorderly conduct, has increasingly demanded that Mags step up her hours at an after-school job to help 'make ends meet' (though she refuses to seek employment herself).  Mags still works between 20 and 40 hours a week after school and on weekends at a grocery store (her work permit is, actually, in jeopardy) and is occasionally paid 'under the table' to help overnight at a local garage... as such, she sleeps through most of her classes.
  • Her favorite place to go with her friends is a stretch of railroad-owned land, mostly just empty fields and a creek, she calls 'the barrens'.  She know where a break in a fence can be found and, on warmer nights, has even camped out there.  She met Grace, a homeless woman, there early one Spring.  She told Mags stories about her life, about working in a store in the rural South, about how her husband had locked her in an asylum until Reagan shut them all down and she was on the street, how she'd had a dog named Lad when she was a girl.  Then, one day, Mags returned to the barrens and found police there, so she stayed clear. A newspaper blurb the next day indicated that the homeless woman, Grace Carver, had been found dead at that spot.  Apparently, she'd been dead most of the winter, and was only found because of the smell when the thaw came.  Mags distinctly remembered conversing with her only two days prior.

From the thread, "Oath of the Drake:"
Quote from: Ixy on May 08, 2011, 04:47:54 PM
Great idea.  I swear to this.

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Moraline

@RainyHigh - Just need to edit in a bit of formatting but otherwise approved. Thanks for joining!
@Ixy - Sent you a PM but otherwise approved. Thanks for joining!

Note: I'm totally open to having more female arcanists join us but I'll probably cap the GM'd Scenario group at 5 characters in total.
I just want to keep that fast PbP GM'd Scenario group small to make the game play smooth on it. (We can optionally talk about other group nights if we get a lot of interest.)
Also, the game has plenty of room for player expansion as well for other character types once we move back into the Adult forums section during Scenario 2.

So far we have:

Maggie Foss by Ixy

Quote from: TheHangedMan on September 01, 2013, 03:03:17 PM
Moraline! Moraline! I love this idea.  8-)
Does that mean you are going to make a character? Get to it, you'd be our first male.

TheHangedOne

Alfred "Al" Birche
Player Name: TheHangedMan
Description: 14. Short brown hair (crew cut), sad brown eyes. Somewhat short, slightly chubby.
Clichés

• Video Games 
  • Reading 
  • Writing   
  • Music (Plays the flute)
  • Loves animals

Tools:

• Pan Flute (kept in a small carrying case)
  • Playstation Portable
  • Paperback of Lord of the Flies
Hooks:

• Shy, and tends towards solitary activities.
  • Tends to freeze up like a rabbit when frightened. 
  • Fairly precocious.
  • When he speaks, it's often with a surprising degree of eloquence and sharp intellect for one so young.

Tales:

• Originally born into an abusive family. Wound up in the foster care system at the age of 8. Currently living with his third 'family'. Because of his constant moving around, and being subjected to new environments full of new people, Al has a tendency towards shyness and isolation. He's always expecting to be uprooted once again, so why bother sticking roots in the ground?
  • Once stood up to a bully at the age of 13, who was picking on someone else. Wound up with a broken left arm during the altercation, but broke the bully's nose and blackened both of his eyes. Consequently, he has earned a somewhat undeserved reputation for violence, which is further enforced by his loner tendencies.
  • Recently took in a kitten off the streets he found. It was half-blind and nearly dead from starvation, the mother either killed or having abandoned it; he wasn't sure which. However, he nursed the kitten back to health, with permission from his foster parents, and continues to take good care of it, finding much in common with the animal.

Read the oath. I think it's kind of silly that people actually need an oath, because I believe in self-accountability... but yes, "I agree to and understand The Oath of the Drake".[/list]
Check out my poet tree!

Moraline

@TheHangedMan - Character approved! Thanks for joining.

So far we have:

Maggie Foss by Ixy

We just need one or two more then I'll start up the first threads so you can poke around and make yourselves at home in it. No reason we can't get some basic character posts up in it before the GM'd Scenario happenings.

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

MzHyde

Moraline

Quote from: MzHyde on September 01, 2013, 04:19:36 PM
Mm, looks like I was too slow. Oh well. Have fun.
You weren't too slow at all we still have room in the main group.   Even if the main GM'd scenario group fills up I have plans for other characters to fill out the world.

Quote from: Moraline on September 01, 2013, 03:11:48 PM
Note: I'm totally open to having more female arcanists join us but I'll probably cap the GM'd Scenario group at 5 characters in total.

MzHyde

No, then it would have three females and one male. Kind of throws off the balance.

Moraline

Quote from: MzHyde on September 01, 2013, 05:59:36 PM
No, then it would have three females and one male. Kind of throws off the balance.
Ok, but the ratio won't make much of a difference in the beginning since the first scenario is Non-Adult anyways.

Then as we move to the Adult forums I'll be expanding the game to include other supernatural organizations that can contain more players.

But if it's not for you then that's cool too. Have fun out there RP'ing!

Either way.. We are looking for 1 or two more players so we can begin! (Male or Female)

Lithium

Jeong Soo-Jin
Player Name: Lithium
Description: Jin is fifteen, of full Korean descent and has brown eyes and hair. She's relatively short and petite but has already developed some curves which help her to look maybe a year or two older. She's not obsessed with her appearance, but she does generally try to look nice, and may even try to impress on a special occasion.

Clichés

• School, especially physics, math and chemistry
  • Chess
  • Gaming
  • Soccer
  • Playing piano
  • Reading
  • Movies

Tools:
  • Smartphone
  • Laptop
  • Soccer goalkeeper gloves
  • Whatever latest book she's reading

Hooks: Jin is a very focused, determined girl with rather high standards. She's smart, learns quickly and is naturally talented in several areas, so she tends to be condescending to others pretty often, usually not even intentionally. She just expresses herself quite directly most of the time and doesn't really consider the feelings of those that she's talking to until it's too late. She's sarcastic, cynical and pessimistic a lot of the time, thought that's not to be confused with always being serious, because she does like to have fun as well. She can also be quite bossy and controlling. All in all, Jin's personality has made her a polarizing personality at school. Some people who enjoy having somebody to follow rather than leading themselves like her, then there are others who fear and/or love and/or worship her for how seemingly amazing she is at a lot of things, and finally there are also those who dislike her to varying degrees for a number of different reasons.

She's very proper when she speaks and doesn't like to swear. Also, Jin kind of likes attention even if she pretends to not really care.

Tales

• When Jin went to sign up for the soccer team, the woman handling the registrations told her that she wouldn't make a good keeper because of her size, which is precisely why she insisted on the position just to prove her wrong. She's really vocal on the field during games and in practice, often acting like the captain even though she technically isn't. If not for the fact that the captain title was always given to one of the older girls, however, she probably would have already gotten it.
  • Her parents are devout Catholics and raised Jin to be one too, but at fourteen she had a huge debate with them when she admitted that she hated it and didn't believe any of it made any sense. It ended with her coming out about her atheism and her parents barely speaking to her for weeks after she refused to continue going to church.
  • Jin's most traumatizing experience was when she pissed off a bully at school by picking apart something that the other girl had said...which lead to her getting beat up in the locker room after gym class (luckily it was just the two of them so nobody else saw). She did get her revenge by getting the other girl expelled, though.

Moraline

@Lithium - You're like my partner in crime! Totally so glad that you were able to join us. Character approved! Thanks for joining.

So far we have:

Maggie Foss by Ixy
Jeong Soo-Jin by Lithium

We just need one more and I think we will aim for a male this time. Then I'll start up the first threads so we can poke around and make ourselves at home in it. No reason we can't get some basic character posts up in it before the GM'd Scenario happenings.

What's everybody's thoughts on a GM'd Scenario evening? How does next Saturday night sound? (US East Coast timezone -5 GMT) We could even get the ball rolling earlier in the day for anyone that happens to be online.

TheHangedOne

Saturday evening works good for me. However, I am also fairly flexible (can't do this Tuesday, though).
Check out my poet tree!

Lithium

Saturday works for me. And I'm also pretty flexible, but for weeknights sometimes I might not be available until like 8pm EST. And starting from not this coming week but the one after that, I probably won't be available on Wednesday evenings.

Lorelei

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

AribethAmkiir

Oh well, too slow.  Looks like an awesome game Moraline.  Hope you all have fun with it.  If anyone steps out or you decide to take another female character, let me know.

Good luck.

Lorelei

Quote from: TheHangedMan on September 01, 2013, 11:32:40 PM
Err... are you planning to join?

I would but it looks like you're already full (for females at least) and I don't think I could make the scheduled evenings.

Moraline

I'll let you guys know when I open up the game to more players outside the core scenario group.

Just NEED 1 more Male for GM'd Scenario now. Any takers?

London

I would love to be part of this game. It sounds exciting and a lot of fun. Here's my character for you to ok.

Robert Long
Player Name: London
Description: Starting at age 14. Standing 5’3” and weighing 123lbs, Robert is a thin teenager with dark black hair and deep emerald green eyes. Normally dressed in an old army coat, it’s hard to tell much about him. He looks like most teenagers that live on the street.

Clichés

• Gaming
  • Skateboarding
  • History Club
  • Drama Club
  • Sneaky

Tools:

• Skateboard
  • Old Army Jacket
  • Smart Phone
  • Backpack

Hooks:
Although impossible to tell just from looking at him, Robert comes from a very wealthy family. Being the youngest of four children, he has always been left behind and felt forgotten by most of his family. Even though he comes from money, he is nothing like his older sibling and flashing it around. Although he always has money in his pocket, he would be more likely to buy something for someone and give it to them without them knowing. Having always been independent, he has grown into a teen that feels like he doesn’t need anyone. This is far from the truth. Robert stays in the shadows most of the time, but truly enjoys acting in the Drama Club.

Tales:
When Robert was ten, he had met a group of skateboards that took him under their wing. Teaching him how to ride a skateboard at first, he also learned how to sneak out of the house. It wasn’t until he came home in the early hours of the morning and ran into his father that he realized that no one even missed him. Over the years, he became so skilled in sneaking around he started staying out more and more until he was barely home at all.

Going on vacation with his family one year, Robert slipped away from the others to ride his skateboard. Rolling down the boardwalk, he kicked his board up to walk under one of the piers. Seeing a girl around his own age playing in the sand, he moved closer to talk to her. Laughing with her for the longest time, he looked up when he heard his older sister yelling his name. Watching her walk over, his sister asked him when he had started making sand castles. Looking back to the castle the girl had been working, she had disappeared. His sister pulled him away telling him that everyone was waiting for him to go to dinner. As they walked away, Robert looked back over his shoulder, seeing the girl smile at him before vanishing before his eyes.

Moraline

Quote from: London on September 02, 2013, 06:39:29 PM
I would love to be part of this game. It sounds exciting and a lot of fun. Here's my character for you to ok.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Robert Long
Player Name: London
Description: Starting at age 14. Standing 5’3” and weighing 123lbs, Robert is a thin teenager with dark black hair and deep emerald green eyes. Normally dressed in an old army coat, it’s hard to tell much about him. He looks like most teenagers that live on the street.

Clichés

• Gaming
  • Skateboarding
  • History Club
  • Drama Club
  • Sneaky

Tools:

• Skateboard
  • Old Army Jacket
  • Smart Phone
  • Backpack

Hooks:
Although impossible to tell just from looking at him, Robert comes from a very wealthy family. Being the youngest of four children, he has always been left behind and felt forgotten by most of his family. Even though he comes from money, he is nothing like his older sibling and flashing it around. Although he always has money in his pocket, he would be more likely to buy something for someone and give it to them without them knowing. Having always been independent, he has grown into a teen that feels like he doesn’t need anyone. This is far from the truth. Robert stays in the shadows most of the time, but truly enjoys acting in the Drama Club.

Tales:
When Robert was ten, he had met a group of skateboards that took him under their wing. Teaching him how to ride a skateboard at first, he also learned how to sneak out of the house. It wasn’t until he came home in the early hours of the morning and ran into his father that he realized that no one even missed him. Over the years, he became so skilled in sneaking around he started staying out more and more until he was barely home at all.

Going on vacation with his family one year, Robert slipped away from the others to ride his skateboard. Rolling down the boardwalk, he kicked his board up to walk under one of the piers. Seeing a girl around his own age playing in the sand, he moved closer to talk to her. Laughing with her for the longest time, he looked up when he heard his older sister yelling his name. Watching her walk over, his sister asked him when he had started making sand castles. Looking back to the castle the girl had been working, she had disappeared. His sister pulled him away telling him that everyone was waiting for him to go to dinner. As they walked away, Robert looked back over his shoulder, seeing the girl smile at him before vanishing before his eyes.
I was talking to you outside the forums and yes, your character is accepted.

Now we just need to get our first threads up.

I'll get those threads posted up sometime in the next 24 hours.

Does anyone want to see my scrapbook of world notes before we begin or would you like to keep most of it a surprise? I'm open to any questions you might have.

Ixy

The surprise is what I'm most looking forward to, honestly

Moraline

Quote from: Ixy on September 02, 2013, 07:21:37 PM
The surprise is what I'm most looking forward to, honestly
I'm cool with that. I like to keep things surprising too. It's good to keep the characters reacting to stuff in unexpected ways.

As we go along it will probably be a better time for questions. (Especially during the growth gaps.)

Lithium

TheHangedOne

Looking forward to the start.  :-) I've seen a bit, but prefer anything new be kept secret (unless you really want to share).
Check out my poet tree!

Moraline

We will be looking for players to play supernatural creatures, and to fill in other roles.
The new recruits won't be committed to any "game nights," it will just be regular system-lite postings.

*Updated first post*

Lorelei

Quote from: Moraline on September 03, 2013, 03:09:13 PM

*Updated first post*

I would be interested when recruitment opens again.  I would prefer to be human or as close to human as possible but I am flexible.