The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on August 22, 2017, 09:42:25 PM
I dare someone to have take a drink every time he said. "I'm the immortal Iron Fist." In both Iron Fist and Defenders  :P

Dude, they even made fun of him for that in the show.

Pretty disappointing. Somehow, bringing them all together, instead of making them all feel more likeable, actually made me care less about them.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Mister Ugly

A big rumor has it that MCU is recasting the entire Avenger movie with a group of well known and seasoned stars!
Just a rumor so far but they did leak a new cast poster!

MU

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

Mathim

Quote from: Mister Ugly on September 02, 2017, 11:04:32 PM
A big rumor has it that MCU is recasting the entire Avenger movie with a group of well known and seasoned stars!
Just a rumor so far but they did leak a new cast poster!

MU

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Well, they did Muppet Treasure Island and a Muppet Christmas Carol, so it's not like they haven't done Muppet-version adaptations of existing literature.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

There are a few reviews of Inhumans first two episodes doing the rounds as it's been released on IMAX in some places. The general verdict is that it look pretty but the characters and dialogue are on the two dimensional side and it's hard to like the people you're supposed to like. But Lockjaw is meant to be good.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

CaptainNexus616

Things been pretty quiet around here as of late since Inhumans and Defenders so I'm going to ask something.

About two years back DC announced they were working on a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle movie.

The second Blue Beetle; Ted Kord that is and not the more commonly known Jaime Reyes. Apparently it was supposed to be something like a Buddy Cop movie from what I gathered. Anyone hear any further news about this? Maybe its not in development yet? However I wouldn't put it past the execs to have already dropped the idea in favor of doing something else.

That said, I wouldn't really mind a Buddy Cop Superhero movie. The superhero genre has already dipped into so many other avenues from mythology to science fiction with great success. Plus after seeing so many heroes struggling to get along when they team up (Examples from Avengers to Justice League) it would really be cool to see two heroes being total pals with one another like Booster Gold and Blue Beetle II.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

wander

No, it's been pretty quiet over at DC tbh recently with the film side of things. I'm wondering if they'll be trimming down and moving away from the DCEU with The Batman mentioned to not be a part of it and also a Joker origin movie also being a stand-alone.

One thing that has been doing the rounds over at the MCU is thoughts on Hawkeye becoming Ronin, like in the 2006 era comics.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on September 17, 2017, 09:38:52 PM
Things been pretty around here as of late since Inhumans and Defenders so I'm going to ask something.

About two years back DC announced they were working on a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle movie.

The second Blue Beetle; Ted Kord that is and not the more commonly known Jaime Reyes. Apparently it was supposed to be something like a Buddy Cop movie from what I gathered. Anyone hear any further news about this? Maybe its not in development yet? However I wouldn't put it past the execs to have already dropped the idea in favor of doing something else.

That said, I wouldn't really mind a Buddy Cop Superhero movie. The superhero genre has already dipped into so many other avenues from mythology to science fiction with great success. Plus after seeing so many heroes struggling to get along when they team up (Examples from Avengers to Justice League) it would really be cool to see two heroes being total pals with one another like Booster Gold and Blue Beetle II.

Don't you have it backwards? Wasn't Ted Kord the FIRST Blue Beetle and Jaime Reyes came along later and became the second?

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Mathim on September 19, 2017, 09:19:42 AM
Don't you have it backwards? Wasn't Ted Kord the FIRST Blue Beetle and Jaime Reyes came along later and became the second?

Nope, originally Dan Garret was the one who found the Blue Beetle Scarab during an archaeology trip to Egypt. During a battle with Kord's evil uncle he perished and the Scarab passed onto him.

However the Scarab would not bond with him as it did for Garret. Despite this, he still used his wealth and resource at Kord Industries -Surprise folks another superhero with a rich company- to become the second Blue Beetle.

After Kord died and the Scarab was lost, it eventually found its way into the possession of, and bonded to Jamie Reyes, the third Blue Beetle.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

mia h

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on September 19, 2017, 02:48:54 PM
After Kord died and the Scarab was lost..
Not exactly, Ted used the Scarab in the same way Dan Garret did during Crisis on Infinite Earth's but then 'misplaced' it after the fight with the Anti-Monitor. But at the end of 52 (The year Batman, Superman & Wonder Woman all went AWOL) it's revealed that Booster Gold travelled back in time and stole the Scarab from Ted during what would have been Ted's first meeting with Booster although Booster first meeting with Ted would be some time later.

Now to make matters even more confusing Ted was in possession of the Scarab before Infinite Crisis (which happened before 52, so presumably future Booster returned to Ted at some point) but it was taken by the wizard Shazam because it was magical, except it turned out the Scarab isn't a magical artefact but advanced alien tech. But it's not really alien tech or at least according to Dr Fate who said it was magical.

CaptainNexus616

Gotta love how they just can't decide if the Scarab is magic or tech.

mia h

It's not like they've changed their mind every five minutes, it was magic for 45 years then it disappeared altogether for 20 years then it was alien tech for 10 years before reverting to the original. Considering DC has done a significant reboot\shake up every 5 years or so, the scarab has been pretty stable.

wander

mia h

Quote from: wander on September 20, 2017, 04:39:54 AM
It's alien magitech. There, decided.  ;D
or they are channelling Arthur C Clarke "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." so all magic would look like really advanced tech.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: mia h on September 20, 2017, 05:47:07 AM
or they are channelling Arthur C Clarke "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." so all magic would look like really advanced tech.

I'll buy that.  You made some fair points Mia.

In other news, this flew under my radar for a whole day before I noticed it in my suggestion bars.

https://youtu.be/lIY6zFL95hE

Personally, I'm really loving that music. Can someone help me out and pin it down? Is it Metallica or Megadeth?

My only ire, is the release date is not confirmed yet. It only say's 2017 and right away I'm getting this vibe it could be delayed to 2018 due to their only being little more than 2 months left in this year.

Mathim

I already cancelled my Netflix subscription after Defenders. I just don't know if they're going to get better. It's usually, one misfire at a time, but they did two in a row with Iron Fist and Defenders. I'm starting to lose faith, at least in the TV stuff.

That trailer does look pretty awesome (but we've been fooled many a time by those kinds of things). Kind of weird that it looks like his wife is killed by a masked assailant in their own home when in Daredevil, it was supposed to have been in a public place by unknown shooters. Unless they're retconning it (which makes no sense) then either they're going to say that it was a mistake, that Karen's investigation was the wrong John Doe, or that scene in the trailer was just a dream (which is pretty believable given his trauma). Also a short glimpse of Karen in the trailer; wonder how big a role she'll be playing. I wish they'd gotten a guy more like the Microchip from the comics instead of a skinny dude with a big beard.

mia h

The first couple of Inhuman episodes were a little underwhelming, I'm sure some of the scenes look amazing on an IMAX screen but unfortunately I haven't got the room to fit one in my house. Anson Mount, Ken Leung & Iwan Rheon are all decent actors and the kind of people I enjoy watching but they weren't given much to work with. The music felt intrusive at times, it was just a bit of a mess.
If for some reason they didn't air episode 3 next week, I'm not sure I'd notice.

wander

DC and WB look to be de-emphasising the DCEU after Justice League, there's precedence for this with both The Batman and Joker origin movies apparently being standalone films outside the DCEU. Looks to be that DC even with the success of Wonder Woman are pretty much cutting their losses with it.

One real fun thing on the grapevine though is that Kevin Conroy has shown interest to play Bruce Wayne in a live-action Batman Beyond movie, which I'd actually be super down for and think would be really fitting.  ;D

And it may be old news, though over in the MCU, Ghost is a confirmed villian for Antman and the Wasp.

mia h

Quote from: wander on September 30, 2017, 03:47:35 PM
DC and WB look to be de-emphasising the DCEU after Justice League, there's precedence for this with both The Batman and Joker origin movies apparently being standalone films outside the DCEU. Looks to be that DC even with the success of Wonder Woman are pretty much cutting their losses with it.
Is that really that much different to what the MCU will look like? Put the two side-by-side and look at the underlying stories until the end of JL\Avengers:
DCEU - Heroes group together to hunt down a bunch of cosmic artefacts and then fight Darkseid.
MCU - Heroes group together to hunt down a bunch of cosmic artefacts and then fight Darkseid's clone.

After the end of Avengers 4 (or whatever it ends up being called) what's the central thread keeping the movies together? Because there probably isn't one, which would mean that both franchises wouldn't be that different, although MCU would have more of an illusion of connectedness.

wander

Kevin Fiege has called everything past Phase 3 'The Cosmic MCU', which makes me think with the success of GotG and hopefully Thor:Ragnarok and other cosmic films, that's where they're going to go from then on.

CaptainNexus616

That would make sense, I think I heard a couple months back Marvel Studios was able to acquire Galactus back. Doesn't include the Fantastic Four, but I'm not sure about the Silver Surfer.

IF anything a Silver Surfer standalone movie would be pretty awesome.

Mathim

Anyone surprised? No? Me either.

One real fun thing on the grapevine though is that Kevin Conroy has shown interest to play Bruce Wayne in a live-action Batman Beyond movie, which I'd actually be super down for and think would be really fitting.  ;D

FUCK. YES.

And it may be old news, though over in the MCU, Ghost is a confirmed villian for Antman and the Wasp.

Never heard of that character...gonna have to look that up. I thought it was going to be Laurence Fishburne as Bill Foster/Goliath.

Kevin Fiege has called everything past Phase 3 'The Cosmic MCU', which makes me think with the success of GotG and hopefully Thor:Ragnarok and other cosmic films, that's where they're going to go from then on.

They'll really have to step their game up, then. Besides Captain Marvel and the Guardians (if Thor's story is done) they'll have to pull some new ones out, or at least pretend it's more cosmic since the first one on the docket after Phase 3 is the next Spider-Man sequel. Also another Doctor Strange is supposed to follow at some point and that's still on earth...unless they're going to other dimensions besides the mirror dimension and Dark dimension. Makes me think they're going to try to do the symbiote for Spidey since that's 'cosmic'. Or Captain Universe. But he's so young still...

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 02, 2017, 06:22:11 PM
That would make sense, I think I heard a couple months back Marvel Studios was able to acquire Galactus back. Doesn't include the Fantastic Four, but I'm not sure about the Silver Surfer.

IF anything a Silver Surfer standalone movie would be pretty awesome.

My understanding was that yes, they do have Galactus back (not sure about the Surfer, though) and he would be the big bad of Avengers 4. Could be wrong. But yes, Surfer would be a great new solo hero and round out a cosmic-based Phase 4 nicely.

mia h

The Gifted, now that's how to series premiere. The only thing I'm a little uncertain on is how well it would go over with people who hadn't seen the X-Men movies but they can't do everything in one episode and I guess they'll explain the X-Men, The Brotherhood and the Sentinels at some later point to catch people up.
There isn't much revealed about the main characters, only one episode in, but they do at least have some chemistry with each other. There's no great chunks of exposition you just get thrown in at the deep end and have to work things out. And when it go to the end of the episode my was more "That's it? Where the rest of it?" which for me is a positive sign that I want to know what happens next aka hooked.

Mathim

What did everyone think of Kingsman: The Golden Circle? I've seen it twice now, haven't done that in a long, long time except for Doctor Strange last year. I thought it was utterly amazing, better than the first even. Way more emotional, higher stakes, they got really ballsy with this one. I'd almost say it was better than Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 for 2017's best (of the ones I've seen) except they're two different genres so it's kind of apples and oranges. Man, I hope there's a third one, I'm drooling.

CaptainNexus616

Mathim

I was expecting a bit more (lots of overlap with the previous one) but still excited.