News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Halo: A shot in the dark

Started by Gladiator0161, August 18, 2010, 08:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gladiator0161

I'm sorry about your break up Ashia. That has to be rough. It will take time but, you will eventually move on like Hunter said :)

Take whatever time you need and if you ever need someone to talk to, just remember that you have friends on here, and that you have me on Yahoo :)

Vengurd

Here I am again.

Since I haven't had a romantic relationship I guess I wouldn't know what I am missing in that aspect. I don't care too much for the vast majority of the people of my generation, a bunch of shallow disrespectful people, only a handful had the proper parenting and guidance needed to make a decent human being.

My kind of music generally depends on my mood though modern rap and screamo music are not for me. I would like something intelligible and creative please. The few genres that have hit the 'favorite' list would be rock, country, instrumental/orchestra. As for individual tracks, I generally listen to whatever, too difficult to find a 'favorite'.

Gladiator, you sure that is a national thing, not a state setup with your transactions? I haven't heard of it where I'm at, then again I generally don't spend in packet payments.

Gladiator0161

It could be a state setup, but, they told me it was a national thing the IRS set up.

Oh, and just for the record, I've never had a romantic relationship either. I've always been single, and now I'm hating every minute of it. I've been there to comfort friends that have been in a relationship though.

As for music, I like some classical, jazz once in a great while, but, I'm mostly into Rock, Hard Rock, Symphonic Rock, Techno/Electric, Pop, and Japanese Pop.

Sushi

Well, real life takes priority over internet. Hope you feel better about it, Ashia.
"—in any other circumstance, you might have had a point there. Except my boss is a woman, I was a chick in the 40's, I hate everyone equally, and there's no one alive who can comprehend my sexual preference."

Vengurd

-tosses a bottle of whiskey to Ashia and hopes she catches it-

Bottom's up girl, it wont help you forget or anything like that, just get it over quicker possibly. ;)

ashia starstreak

*Catches it using both hands* Here's to hoping it's Jack..all I need now is some apple schnaps/apple pucker and I got my favorite shot..apple jack.

In no way has it been rough. I've just felt bad for breaking it off. I don't like hurting people's feelers. Still haven't found my groove though. With work and a big brute (pitbull bull mastiff mix) at home I am just beat and have little motivation to get out there.  My work schedule is set to random every week so I can't plan for nothing..accidently worked two hours overtime yesterday..thought I had an eight hour shift..I was wrong and STILL didn't get caught up...damn them people and their love for cookies..stop buying my cookies for one bloody day so I can catch up :/ after work might have enough in me to post..no promises though.

"A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested."

Gladiator0161

Well, atleast it keeps your mind busy on other things :)

ashia starstreak

Using my phone..there was no way I could edit my reply, so I did make a response in the following post. Gotta love how hot headed Shana can be, cracks me up..what a lil firecracker.

Hunter Phoenix

Hey guys, I'm going to be offline for two weeks, I'm going to stay with a friend so I won't be online a whole lot. In the mean time if posts need posting that require Hunter, Ashia can control him until I come back. I shall return to the world of RP either on the 16th or 17th.

Have fun guys and gals :)
Where Will A Creature Of Darkness Hide If Not In The Shadows Of The Night.

Gladiator0161

Thanks for the heads up Hunter, hope you have fun too :)

Gladiator0161

Hope you guys have been having a good week so far :D

I forgot to add in my last post that I am going away for the weekend, so I won't be able to post to any new replies until Monday at the latest, or Sunday evening at the earliest. :)

Oh! I almost forgot! The new Spider-man movie is out in theatres, and my friends are telling me that it's really good. I haven't seen it yet myself but, I'm looking forward to watching it, now that I've seen a little more over it. Now that my mission is complete, I'll end this post here, lol.

ashia starstreak

I saw that movie in 3D the speakers were messed up so about 1/4 of the speaking sounded as if it were under water. I liked Spiderman's attitude, and loved how they did the lizard scientist. He looks so leathery..and big..but I like the tall ones ;) The speakers did piss me off..got a free movie ticket out of it though, so my next movie visit will be free :) The movie was alright, the 3D affects were close to none though so if ya see it, I wouldn't bother seeing it in 3D.

Hunter Phoenix

Hello there guys, I have returned, even if it is a week earlier than planned :/ but still I am back!!

Gladiator0161

Welcome back Hunter. Nice to have to back :)

I saw the new Spiderman movie a couple days ago, we missed about 30 minutes of the beginning but, it was still good in my opinion.

Sushi

To clarify: The reason Valkyrie used the sniper rifle on the grunt at that distance was because even though a weapon is hypothetically capable of making at shot at so and so distance, the sniper rifle is always easier to shoot with than a DMR, especially against a moving target like a tank. It has a more accurate bullet with a higher velocity, meaning she has to do less math internally to make the shot go where she wants. Plus, the grunt was behind the plasma repeater on the tank, which would have cut them to ribbons as they closed in.

Oh, and by the way it's 0.57 caliber. It's 14.5mm. A .50 is 12.7mm, like the minigun on the Warthog.

Wanna know something funny, too?

The DMR fires the exact same bullet as the MA-5 series. Which makes the fact it does more damage than it very odd - I explained the discrepancy by saying the DMR has special high-velocity, AP ammo for it. But still, technically the MA-5 should rip covvie into pieces, especially with the accurate and powerful version in HALO Reach.
"—in any other circumstance, you might have had a point there. Except my boss is a woman, I was a chick in the 40's, I hate everyone equally, and there's no one alive who can comprehend my sexual preference."

Gladiator0161

Huh, that's something that they left out of my Halo Encyclopedia, which is where I got all my nifty info. Guess I'll have to get the updated version, which is frustrating because mine cost me 65 bucks. Good to know though.

I hope you didn't take offense to what I wrote Sushi, because I didn't mean to offend you. I just thought it would be kinda neat to draw on Gladiator's knowledge of weaponry and kinda give me an opportunity to expand on his personality.

Sushi

I'm not someone easily annoyed. I am just sushi~

Though I guess depending on how you looked at it the post could seem kinda nagging, but it wasn't a big deal.

How was my recent post, anyway?

Gladiator0161

Ok, good to know :)

Just didn't want to cause any hurt feelings. You're latest post was awesome! I'm rereading it though because I have to post with both Sling and Gladiator. Sling's easy enough but, Gladiator takes a little forethought, lol.

Vengurd

Lols Sushi. The ammunition isn't everything when it comes to the results. Using the same ammunition for two separate weapons makes more sense than specializing the ammunition, especially in the kind of war the UNSC found itself in. Specializing the ammunition means less ordnance and equipment it can manufacture in one go and more work and time spent in getting all those cartridges and magazines sorted for shipping. Mass producing the one type of ammunition for two or twenty guns at once makes much more sense- you need to pump out as much ammunition and weapons as you can that you know can get the job done.

The MA-5 is designed purely for the spray-'N-Pray types, the type of infantry that doesn't specialize in anything other than being your infantry. The DMR is designed for the Marksman. The soldiers who specialize in being the Designated Marksman of the Squad. They aren't quite a sniper and easily fit into the rank and file but can contribute to the accuracy and range needed to make a difference.

To help, the MA-5 is an Assault Rifle, grab and go, it sacrifices range and accuracy for power and rate of fire while the DMR- the name short for Designated Marksman's Rifle (at least I think, I may need to look that up again), is used for the Marksmen of the Rank in file, it sacrifices rate of fire for increased accuracy and range, the shape and weight of the rifle as well as the mechanics within allow it to keep much of that firing power.

This is mostly conjecture as I haven't looked at the Wiki for quite some time so I wont be too surprised to find a few points off the mark but this is about all I can say to help clarify the difference in effect by two guns with the same ammunition.

Sushi

I just point it out because the DMR doing such massive damage against shields and stuff is weird since it fires the same boolit as the MA-5. Handling, accuracy and design doesn't effect that - the same bullet should do roughly the same damage, so from a realism standpoint the games are really odd that way.

It's obviously for balance, but I wanted to pointed it out since it is a fun piece of trivia.

EDIT: Layman's terms. MA-5 and DMR use the same bullet.

So a single 7.62x51 bullet from a DMR doing the same damage as THREE 9.5mm bullets from a BR-55 is not realistic, considering a 7.62x51 from an MA-5 does about as much as a 5mm M7 SMG. Again, for gameplay reasons but worth considering if you like to be realistic when writing.

Gladiator0161

Yeah, very interesting pieces of trivia. I agree that it's easier to mass produce ammunition for multiple guns, than to make specialized weapons with different ammunition, makes more sense too in my opinion.

Hopefully I'll be getting up a post for my Spartan in a few seconds. Spent the week playing Halo Reach and watching Lois and Clark, lol. I'm on season 3 now, lol.

Vengurd

You seem to have missed the main point Sushi. The Mechanics of the gun affects the power of the bullet as much as the bullet itself does. The Chamber of the MA-5 is likely completely different from the Chamber of the DMR. That is put in simplest terms.

Sushi

Chamber also has to do with accuracy, reliability (a correctly sized chamber means the brass casings expand to the right size for proper seal and extraction) but seeing as it is literally just the end of the barrel, it has nothing to do with the power of the bullet.

Barrel length can put a large influence on the effect of the bullet's velocity (which contributes to power) and it's accuracy. But, even then, the barrel can't put a bullet into another realm of power. The DMR, with the right ammo loaded to get the most velocity out of the barrel, paired with a tight, correct length bore would mean a boost in power and accuracy from a similar bullet.

But that sort of change isn't like... the difference between needing seventeen rounds with an MA-37 to take down an elite's shields, and four or five headshots doing the same with a DMR. It's not four or five times as powerful because of a longer barrel, you see~

Basically, the difference in power should not be so radical if we're talking about realism, since we ARE writing some pretty quality work here. But I am also pointing out that it was done for gameplay and fun, and I understand why this disparity is in there. Just cool trivia, is all.

Hunter Phoenix

Just throwing this random shout out into the mix because I feel like I have been fairly anti social recently so....

HEY YOU GUYS!!!

Vengurd

Hi Hunter.

I'm not talking about the barrel, I mentioned the chamber because that is the nearest to where all the moving parts are, or at least from what I remember it should be. I'm talking about the springs, gears and other what not that make the boom, not the barrel that keeps the bullet on a straight line.