WH40k: Rogue Trader

Started by White Wolf, November 13, 2017, 01:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Wolf

Hey everyone.

So for the longest time I've had a yearning to get to play Rogue Trader; I have a few of the rulebooks but I've never gotten a chance to sit down and properly play the game. My current tabletop group IRL is 5E, and I literally don't know ANYBODY who plays Rogue Trader or even knows about it.

If there's anybody out there who wants to play, or was thinking of looking for a group, or whatever, please, please, please, hit me up!!

I really wanna' get something going in this direction :D

Cheers!

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
AN EMPTY MIND IS A LOYAL MIND
The stars are coming right. Is this really the end?

Idej

I would like to make a Dark Eldar Kabalite Warrior.  She would be exiled/lone survivor from a demolished Kabal that lost favor with others amongst the Dark Kin.  OOC I will not backstab or betray any of the players as that destroys the mood of the game, IC I will not backstab or betray any of the characters in the crew because that will just mean the death of the character too and sending her soul straight to Slaanesh.  She ain't in any way able to negotiate any power play with anyone but is just trying to get away and the Rogue Trader is just the quickest way to do so for the time being.  She wouldn't be happy sullying herself to work with Mon-Keigh, but sometimes you do things for survival and that is what it is...survival.

I would like to eventually have this Drukhari start to understand how humanity is able to function and see how adopting some of their traits would be beneficial should she gain enough power to form a Kabal again.  Regardless, I would like to do this because I also want to fill-in some story for my Archon of the Kabal I'm making in the tabletop miniatures game of 40k which will be part of the Ynnari.  The Ynnari are filled with what many of all factions of Eldar would deem as, extreme, or radical.  So having someone who is not an 'orthodox' Drukhari and follows radical ideologies would be a fitting addition to the Ynnari in my opinion.  I could be wrong, but I still want to do this and if there is a GM who is willing to help with this I will appreciate it greatly.

Due to how the setting of Rogue Trader is set before Gathering Storm I would like that to still be before that as it would help development for when the Ynnari come

White Wolf

The Dark Eldar give me nightmares. God I hate them. (I love them, as a creation; in-universe, God I hate them).

I like your idea, though it'd raise serious questions for the crew. Have you played the game before, or are you new to this like myself?

If you were new as well, I'd contemplate offering to run a game with you and a couple other newbie players, in which case as GM I'd be happy to accommodate your Xeno filth (provided, in turn, the others don't mind their characters being heretical bastards) :P

If you're a veteran, though, I can imagine the last thing you want is a complete newcomer trying to take the reins of a system they barely understand, hahaha :D

Total aside: Have you read the Horus Heresy novel Tales of Heresy? There's a short story in that, Wolf At The Door, which is about a company of Space Wolves fighting a guerrilla war against the Dark Eldar. It's very, very, very good, and the final scene is just...everything that makes 40k awesome. I highly recommend!

Idej

Sort of seasoned newcomer.  Only been in three short lived games so wasn't able to get a full grasp of the situation.  Lol

What I do know is that Rogue Traders get alot of leeway in what they deal with as per their warrant of trade.

I would like the crew to help shape the Dark Eldar into something kind of reformed lol.  It's only because her story aboard the human craft would seriously shape her into being a wholesale member of the Ynnari and not piecemeal member.

And no I have not read Tales of Heresy yet either.  Might have to now.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: White Wolf on November 13, 2017, 05:39:12 AM
The Dark Eldar give me nightmares. God I hate them. (I love them, as a creation; in-universe, God I hate them).

I like your idea, though it'd raise serious questions for the crew. Have you played the game before, or are you new to this like myself?

If you were new as well, I'd contemplate offering to run a game with you and a couple other newbie players, in which case as GM I'd be happy to accommodate your Xeno filth (provided, in turn, the others don't mind their characters being heretical bastards) :P

If you're a veteran, though, I can imagine the last thing you want is a complete newcomer trying to take the reins of a system they barely understand, hahaha :D

Total aside: Have you read the Horus Heresy novel Tales of Heresy? There's a short story in that, Wolf At The Door, which is about a company of Space Wolves fighting a guerrilla war against the Dark Eldar. It's very, very, very good, and the final scene is just...everything that makes 40k awesome. I highly recommend!

Well if the imperium asks we're torturing her for information on her kin and their plans. xD

Any room for a tech priest/priestess who kept as many of their squishy bits as they could? ;)
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

Idej

Alright if I just merge my request with your's so as to not clutter the request board?

I have a request already up before you but your's is more generalized than mine own. :)

Muse

Hi there.  *Waves* 

Thought I'd echo what I posted in Idej's game request thread--the desire to p lay a cassanova rogue trader. 

I have a little expreince with Dark Heresy, but my rogue trader experience is pretty miniimal.
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

White Wolf

Whoa okay we basically already have enough people to actually do this. This was the last thing I was expecting! Hahaha.

Should we wait for somebody to drop by who wants to DM? As I said I am super new to this and while I don't have any overriding preference between playing or DMing (I just wanna' explore the 40k world, I don't mind how I do that), it may be better for everybody if somebody who knows the system well and has experience in it is at the helm. But, if you're of the opinion that, you know, let's just play and have fun and make mistakes and learn on the job, then I'm happy to take charge and...we are basically set to get this show on the road!

Muse! You basically just clinched this group by offering to be Rogue Trader hahaha. Now as have a captain, and at least 2 players, we're ready to go. Thank you :D

Drowdeviant (hahaha what a cool name) have you read Mechanicum, from the Horus Heresy series? (I swear I'm not here just to recommend books to people hahaha). Before reading it I was like "Oh yeah the Machine Cult is fine I guess, they fix things and pray to tanks, yeah, cool" then I read it (it's about the civil war on Mars during the Horus Heresy) and was just like FUUUUCK the Techpriests are SOOOO cool! Mars is amazing, we don't actually get to see enough of it in 40k for as awesome as it is. Keeping "as many of their squishy bits as they could" made me laugh hahaha; it's anathema in the Mars Cult but, I guess that's why they became explorators on a Rogue Trader vessel ;)

And Idej, of course, your decision to do that has brought us to this heady juncture where we're almost ready to actually start a game :D So thank you! And yeah, Rogue Trader vessels are definitely the most interesting thing to roleplay in 40k 'cos like you literally have the option to be a bona fide, 100% straight Naval vessel, or be straight up Chaos-worshipping pirates. Most games, I'd imagine, fall somewhere in the middle, but since this ship is STARTING with a god damn Dark Eldar on the crew......................it's gonna' be super exciting to see what happens hahahaha.

So! Question is. Do you trust a total n00b to not make a balls of everything (I will decidedly NOT take offence if you say no, hahaha :D ) or do we wait/shop around for a DM? :)

Idej

I don't mind if you run it!

All of us here have had some experience in RT and can happily guide you as we gleefully muddle through this journey.  :)

But in my opinion, I'd say we wait to see at least one other player joins us.  Preferably a Navigator, but anyone would do tbh. :)

Just y'all gotta deal with a Dark Eldar.

White Wolf

Quote from: Idej on November 14, 2017, 04:37:14 AM
I don't mind if you run it!

All of us here have had some experience in RT and can happily guide you as we gleefully muddle through this journey.  :)

But in my opinion, I'd say we wait to see at least one other player joins us.  Preferably a Navigator, but anyone would do tbh. :)

Just y'all gotta deal with a Dark Eldar.

If I were to be a player, I'd probably go with Seneschal as I love the idea of roleplaying through all the drudgery and monotony of their work, manages finances and shipboard economics hahaha. But, I'm just wondering, is it a problem that there's no Arch Militant? Does the crew not need a sort of tank-esque archetype?

Also, what kind of role would the Dark Eldar be fulfilling? Like do they get classes the same way regular characters do or is Dark Eldar itself its own class?

If that was the case I guess the crew could eventually find them a role on the ship (like Chief Interrogator :P ). Failing that, you know, there's always the standing threat "Go behind our backs and we'll hook you up to the Astropathic Choir and fly into the Warp. Let Slaanesh do horrible, horrible things to you."

Idej

Seneschal is a fun path :)

The Arch-Militant can be tanky yes, but not all the time.  There are two careers a Dark Eldar can start with in this game.

Kabalite Warriors and Wyches

The prior being more ranged combat focused but has close combat focus.  Is also capable of social interactions.  Wyches are your gladiators. Scantily clad gladiators but are skilled in close range combat and damn good at it.

I want to be a Kabalite Warrior.  Which is found in the supplement The Soul Reaver.

White Wolf

Ahh yes, wytches. Nothing has made a faithful Guardsman question his loyalty to the Immortal God-Emperor more.

...Until he gets back to Commoragh with her, of course.

Yeah I have a bunch of the PDFs. I actually got in touch with my nearest like gaming store earlier to see if they had the books but they're no longer available, by and large. I may need to source some PDFs of various other 40k RPGs so I have a smattering of additional rules/characters/etc. on hand if I decide to use 'em.

Incidentally - Am I the only one who finds the Dark Eldar really, really tragic and sad? Like I know the Craftworld Eldar are basically racist, vicious monsters themselves, but they're at least civilised and like, fighting for good and some sort of universal justice. Their Commorite brethren, on the other hand...it's such a terrible stain upon the race :(

#NotAllEldar

Drowdeviant

Quote from: White Wolf on November 14, 2017, 02:09:54 AM
Drowdeviant (hahaha what a cool name) have you read Mechanicum, from the Horus Heresy series? (I swear I'm not here just to recommend books to people hahaha). Before reading it I was like "Oh yeah the Machine Cult is fine I guess, they fix things and pray to tanks, yeah, cool" then I read it (it's about the civil war on Mars during the Horus Heresy) and was just like FUUUUCK the Techpriests are SOOOO cool! Mars is amazing, we don't actually get to see enough of it in 40k for as awesome as it is. Keeping "as many of their squishy bits as they could" made me laugh hahaha; it's anathema in the Mars Cult but, I guess that's why they became explorators on a Rogue Trader vessel ;)

The machine cult is why 95% of the imperium's high tech shit keeps working wolf, without them that shit would go to hell in a hand basket very quickly.

Well the "true flesh" stuff only is really followed by the more fanatical and somewhat psycho members of the cult. Hell all the non-astartes rpg lines basically have tech priests start as a basic people just with some augments...and possibly having their mouth replaced by a Darth Vader-esque grill. xD

No my guy or gal will have tried to say as normal looking as possible, hell rogue trader even has an alternate career level where tech priests can do that to a further degree (aka hiding your cybermantle under skin and shit as well as making you able to take on and off your mechadendrites with some difficulty). xD

Also as Idej knows they might try to seduce and dominate our resident sadomasochistic xenos at some point, possibly involving the use of nerve induction tines. xD
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

Xue

Been looking for Dark Heresy for a while.

Don’t know Rogue Trader as a system though. Will I be too much of a liability to whimper and scratch st the thread till you let me in?

Idej

The good news is that Rogue Trader is for the most very similar to Dark Heresy with a few tweaks here and there.

I have no objections to you wanting in on this :)

Xue

Well I don’t know DH as a system either ...  ::)

<attempts to look as appealing as possible until forgiven>

Idej

Nah you're all good.  At least for me I honestly don't know the others but I would assume so too.

Idej

And yeah shock stimulation and bondage will be yum from Drowdeviant.

:)

Drowdeviant

Quote from: Idej on November 14, 2017, 05:35:01 PM
And yeah shock stimulation and bondage will be yum from Drowdeviant.

:)

She'll be a nice plaything I'm sure. Also it will help to have a nurse who can hold down unruly patients. ;)

PixelatedPixie

I would be interested in a Rogue Trader game as well.  As a player that is, if a slot is open or opens up.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 14, 2017, 11:34:02 PM
I would be interested in a Rogue Trader game as well.  As a player that is, if a slot is open or opens up.

We have spots open

What role are you looking to play as? We need a navigator. xD

White Wolf

Hello to our two newcomers! Of course you're welcome to join no matter what your level of experience - I am apparently going to be the DM of this motley crew and I've never played the game before, so, you know :P

It's gonna' be a learning experience for all of us hahahaha :D

So welcome!

Um. I mean. I guess. We have like, an entire crew's worth of players now...we can actually start to talk about. Like. A game??

So!

What's everybody's character classes? :) I need to hit the books and start actually studying how to DM :P

PixelatedPixie

I'd be tempted to try a Tau Fire Warrior if there is already heresy on the crew.  Otherwise, I assume a Missionary wouldn't work with a Dark Eldar about.  So maybe a Void Master.

White Wolf

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 15, 2017, 02:09:41 AM
I'd be tempted to try a Tau Fire Warrior if there is already heresy on the crew.  Otherwise, I assume a Missionary wouldn't work with a Dark Eldar about.  So maybe a Void Master.

WELL WHY NOT JUST HOLD UP A #HORUSDIDNOTHINGWRONG SIGN WHEN YOU'RE AT IT?!?!?!

No but that would be an awesome idea if the other players are agreed :D Basically it's painting a very clear painting of this ship's crew as savage Xeno-heretics. The pros are it gives the human characters unlimited access to Xeno weapons, artifacts and other boons, since they're obviously not afraid to deal with aliens. On the downside...well...

...but this could turn out to be a ridiculously exciting game as a result :D I love it already.

Plus, heresy begets piracy, since you're already so far outside of Imperial law and order there's no reason not to go that extra mile and just operate for yourselves. So this is gonna' be an alien-tolerant pirate game, it looks like, which is exciting as Hell hahaha.

EDIT: Totally not related. But I need to find stats on Deathwatch Marines...

PixelatedPixie

There is a Deathwatch RPG  ::)

I will have to debate between Tau and a Void Master who may or may not be an unsanctioned Psyker.  But a nice unsanctioned Psyker!  O:)

Also...  Horus did nothing wrong.  Down with the Corpse God!  I mean, uh, Praise by the Emperor!

White Wolf

SPEAKING OF CORPSE GODS!

Sort of.

My preference for this game is to set it before the Fall of Cadia - the 13th Black Crusade has happened, but there's still fighting taking place on Cadia. Guilliman isn't Regent yet, so the Imperium is as desperate and hopeless and screwed up as ever.

If anyone disagrees, I'm not strongly OPPOSED to the notion of setting the game in "Present Day," but I'd rather it be pre-Guilliman purely because the Imperium feels a lot darker and more splintered in that period.

Eager to hear everyone's thoughts :)

Muse

^_^;; 

I don't quite have the context to fallow that, White Wolf.  Are you talking about the erra that the original Dark Heresy was set in?  Before the minis games ripped a rent to the warp clear across the galaxy and the custodes started doing something and the primarchs started showing up as chaos demons? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

White Wolf

Quote from: Muse on November 15, 2017, 04:00:31 AM
  ^_^;; 

I don't quite have the context to fallow that, White Wolf.  Are you talking about the erra that the original Dark Heresy was set in?  Before the minis games ripped a rent to the warp clear across the galaxy and the custodes started doing something and the primarchs started showing up as chaos demons?

Sorry!

Basically, the latest plot development in the actual overall universe of 40k is that the Cadian Gate - the planet that sits between the Imperium and the Eye of Terror, where the Traitor Legions dwell - fell dramatically, and Chaos surged forwards and was set to basically destroy the Imperium.

The Eldar, being mad as a box of fish, had a genius idea to travel to the homeworld of the Ultramarines, where they kept the corpse of their Primarch, Roboute Guilliman, and use their crazy alien powers to bring him back to life. Guilliman travelled to Holy Terra to see the Emperor, then basically took over, launched a 100-year Crusade against Chaos that finally pushed them back, and basically saved mankind from finally being defeated.

It's all very cool. But it's a LITTLE too optimistic for the 40k we all know and love, so what I'm saying is my preference (preference - it's not a deal-breaker if people disagree, hahaha) is that we set our game before all this craziness started :)

Muse

*smiles* I'm entirely cool with that, then. 

Speaking of heresy i actualy find the grimdark theme delciiously satirical, but I keep that amusement out of character. 

Are we entry level characters?  I've got my books around here somewhere. 

Drowdeviant

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 15, 2017, 02:09:41 AM

There is no outright heresy in this crew! We are torturing that pointy eared sadist for secrets concerning slave raids carried out by her kin. xD

...Also I kinda don't like having Tau on board unless they have previously given up on the lie known as the greater good...That and they have submitted themselves for re-education in the imperial truth and the omnissah along with a certain pointy eared sadist! (I could see one venerating the emperor as more of a heroic saint than an outright god and the ominissah potentially as more of something like the force than an actual deity). Basically our tech priest will venerate both but for slightly different reasons than the common imperial citizen. xD

Praise be to the Emperor and his sons who remain loyal to the imperium, mankind's bulwark in our fight against the darkness of chaos!

Praise be to the Omnissah for its' mercy in allowing our great machinery to continue to function! :3

Horus deserved his fate when he allowed himself to be tempted to chaos. Russ, Vulkan...and sadly even the big blue boy scout that is Gullimen are my people.

...Magnus its' more debatable however because his tale isn't exactly as black and white as his brothers in what turned him to chaos. :P

...Also the following message is brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Mek boy. :3 :

White Wolf

Yeah you know it's funny, in-universe, I am a rabid fanatic for the God-Emperor. Like, friends of mine point out how amusing it is that the Emperor specifically tried to stop people worshipping him while he was alive and I'm like, I don't even want to hear it, he is a God and the proof of his divinity is literally everywhere you look in the Imperium.

I believe, man :P

And I think that's one of the things that makes 40k so compelling, is that the universe is so expansive there's room for actual, bona fide political disagreements between fans on what different things mean and what is true, hahaha, it's awesome.

But LOL I actually laughed out loud at your comment about the Tau. Stupid fish communists. But, yeah, that's probably a fair idea, don't go full heresy but demand the resident Xenos submit to the irrefutable truth of the Imperial Creed.

But you know, I don't dislike Guilliman or the Ultras. I dislike, with a passion, He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named, the Fifth Chaos God, for being a mewling fanboy, but I don't let his bad writing besmirch what, ultimately, is a perfectly fine concept for a Chapter (though admittedly I have probably headcanon'd out of existence his whole, "Every Chapter wants to be Ultramarines" bullshit which is just patently false).

But my favourite Primarch is the Angel Sanguinius. So, you know, expect there to be lots of references to him in this world if I'm DMing it hahaha.

So, okay, PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric, prepare to get even more annoyed - Are you okay with a Tau if said Tau has been forced to abandon his loyalty to the Ethereals, and worship the God-Emperor of Man instead?

EDIT: Lol Yes. ThereWillBeOrkz

PixelatedPixie

I hadn't settled on a Tau yet, I was glancing at the Arch-Militant and Void Master to see if anything came to mind for an interesting character.  Though if I went Tau it would probably be associated with the Farsight Enclaves, though I doubt the character would worship the God Emperor.  Though that questions raises a question of its own, is the crew expected to worship the God-Emperor?  That kind of precludes the Dark Eldar, and nixes a human idea or two I was thinking of to various degrees.

White Wolf

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 15, 2017, 04:40:33 AM
I hadn't settled on a Tau yet, I was glancing at the Arch-Militant and Void Master to see if anything came to mind for an interesting character.  Though if I went Tau it would probably be associated with the Farsight Enclaves, though I doubt the character would worship the God Emperor.  Though that questions raises a question of its own, is the crew expected to worship the God-Emperor?  That kind of precludes the Dark Eldar, and nixes a human idea or two I was thinking of to various degrees.

No, it's not necessary that every character be 100% loyal and faithful, you're more then welcome to go full-blown heretic if you want. I think Drow's point was more, he wants to play a basically loyal ship, so that means the aliens will need to pass a basic test of faith to serve on board - even a Dark Eldar, hahaha. I mean, if the aliens attest to their faith with their fingers crossed behind their backs, who's to know, right...? ;)

Xue

Ah, if we're going full xeno, that's a bit too xeno for my tastes. Was thinking generally human.

White Wolf

Quote from: Xue on November 15, 2017, 04:46:24 AM
Ah, if we're going full xeno, that's a bit too xeno for my tastes. Was thinking generally human.

It would be a shame to lose you! :( At least wait and see what Cleric decides to play before deciding? :)

PixelatedPixie

Ah.  I probably wasn't going to go Tau, but it may be better for me to bow out in that case.  I don't mind game guidelines set by the GM as to the type of ship/crew, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be told how I can and can't play my character by another player (barring maybe the Rogue Trader character, since that would at least have an in-game reason). 

Drowdeviant

Quote from: White Wolf on November 15, 2017, 04:34:08 AM
Yeah you know it's funny, in-universe, I am a rabid fanatic for the God-Emperor. Like, friends of mine point out how amusing it is that the Emperor specifically tried to stop people worshipping him while he was alive and I'm like, I don't even want to hear it, he is a God and the proof of his divinity is literally everywhere you look in the Imperium.

I believe, man :P

And I think that's one of the things that makes 40k so compelling, is that the universe is so expansive there's room for actual, bona fide political disagreements between fans on what different things mean and what is true, hahaha, it's awesome.

But LOL I actually laughed out loud at your comment about the Tau. Stupid fish communists. But, yeah, that's probably a fair idea, don't go full heresy but demand the resident Xenos submit to the irrefutable truth of the Imperial Creed.

But you know, I don't dislike Guilliman or the Ultras. I dislike, with a passion, He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named, the Fifth Chaos God, for being a mewling fanboy, but I don't let his bad writing besmirch what, ultimately, is a perfectly fine concept for a Chapter (though admittedly I have probably headcanon'd out of existence his whole, "Every Chapter wants to be Ultramarines" bullshit which is just patently false).

But my favourite Primarch is the Angel Sanguinius. So, you know, expect there to be lots of references to him in this world if I'm DMing it hahaha.

So, okay, PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric, prepare to get even more annoyed - Are you okay with a Tau if said Tau has been forced to abandon his loyalty to the Ethereals, and worship the God-Emperor of Man instead?

EDIT: Lol Yes. ThereWillBeOrkz

Well as I said he'd be venerated as a saint with me, not an outright god. Hell he has done a lot of stuff bordering on being straight up miracles, it's just venerating him to the point that the imperium has turned into the unholy love child of inquisition era spain and nazi germany is what urks me. xD

Oh hatred of Ward is more than justified. All chapters outside the ultra smurfs, dark angels and black templars deserved way more love to me...including the Black Dragons and Carcharadons. But most of all the space wolves and the salamanders for doing their duty while also remaining decent human beings to their fellow imperial citizens (Salamanders especially cause they have effectively martyred countless battle brothers in the name of no one left behind even when the inquisition would condemn a planet to exterminatus). xD

Sanginius is a cool primarch to me as well...behind Russ, Vulkan and Magnus before he went to Chaos. xD

Also Orks will be liberally purified, they are not a race but a plague meant to slowly wipe out the Tyrannids! xD

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 15, 2017, 05:03:40 AM
Ah.  I probably wasn't going to go Tau, but it may be better for me to bow out in that case.  I don't mind game guidelines set by the GM as to the type of ship/crew, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be told how I can and can't play my character by another player (barring maybe the Rogue Trader character, since that would at least have an in-game reason). 

Per I didn't mean to have it come off like that. I just imagine our dear rogue trader would have conditions to letting a tau on board on the ship in that he or she couldn't attempt to convert the crew to the greater good and turn them all sterile. I am fully behind having a sexy fish man or lady amongst us, I just think IC they would have had to agree to some ground rules set by our resident suave rogue trader before they would be welcomed aboard.

I was just thinking how our merry band of misfits would justify having a fish commie on board IC if the ecclesiarchy, inquisition or sororitas come knocking. xD

Also everyone remember that there is technically a way to eliminate some of the downsides to having xenos on board in system, though I'm forgetting the name of the specfic rite. Basically it just entails our non-human crew mates swearing to help the imperium and being in some way marked as allies of the throne...though the service is kind of hard to get done purely in terms of its' acquisition rarity and actually finding a member of the ministorum and or administratum willing to do it in the first place. xD

PixelatedPixie

I may have taken things poorly and/or the wrong way due to an unrelated foul mood.  I apologize if I was being rude and/or making a scene.  I do think that the nature of the ship needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later though.

I doubt I will play a Tau regardless.  I will probably go with a Void Master or Arch Militant depending on if/what Xue wants to play.

White Wolf

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 15, 2017, 05:42:24 AM
I may have taken things poorly and/or the wrong way due to an unrelated foul mood.  I apologize if I was being rude and/or making a scene.  I do think that the nature of the ship needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later though.

I doubt I will play a Tau regardless.  I will probably go with a Void Master or Arch Militant depending on if/what Xue wants to play.

I'm really delighted to hear that! :D

Xue and I are discussing her character in PM right now. She seems to have settled on an Arch-Militant. BUT, given the role of an Arch-Militant, if you really wanted to play one too there'd be no reason why you shouldn't be able to.

Xue

Arch Militant it is, but a particularly assassin-esque take on it. :)

White Wolf

Quote from: Xue on November 15, 2017, 06:16:04 AM
Arch Militant it is, but a particularly assassin-esque take on it. :)

Oh, yes, I should have mentioned that. It basically still leaves a role open on the crew for a more traditional Arch Militant, since Xue's has a distinctly assassin-y flavour :)

PixelatedPixie

If she wants Arch-Militant I can go with Void Master.  The other thought was some sort of false Missionary (Drusian Charlatan eventually/to start?) or Manhunter/Reaver type, but that may not be possible or may complicate things too much.  The short answer is I have no idea what I want to play with any certainty so people should claim what they like and I'll figure something out.  :P

White Wolf

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 15, 2017, 06:25:38 AM
If she wants Arch-Militant I can go with Void Master.  The other thought was some sort of false Missionary (Drusian Charlatan eventually/to start?) or Manhunter/Reaver type, but that may not be possible or may complicate things too much.  The short answer is I have no idea what I want to play with any certainty so people should claim what they like and I'll figure something out.  :P

If you wanted to play a...subversive cleric or something who would technically be at odds with the rest of the crew, that's totally cool. Complicated or no, this is 40k - If these people wanted simplicity and fairness they shouldn't have been born in the 41st Millennium :P

Muse

^_^;; 

Am I reading this wrong, or are we dancing back and forth between it being important for me to build a Trader wtih particular moral flexiblity, and me building a Trader with particular devotion to the God Emperor? 

I'm getting dizzy... 

White Wolf

Build the character you wanna' build, and see how they interact with the rest of the crew :)

Muse

Okay.  :) 

Should we start now? 

White Wolf

Where I'm at right now is I need to carve time out of my insane schedule to absorb the rulebooks, hahaha. I figure I can focus on the core rulebook for now and examine the others on an as-needed basis, or in the background while things proceed.

But, yes, since just about everyone is settled on a character I think it's safe to start putting together character sheets.

I'm wondering - should I set up an OOC thread for this game already, so people can start to post their character ideas and updates and everyone can begin to coalesce as a crew? You'll (we'll?) need to work together to design the ship as well so maybe it's time to move this onto an OOC thread and get the show on the road!

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Muse

I think we should go ahead and set up an OOC thread.  :) 

Do you mind if we use the Alocating Points option for our characteritics?  Or do you prefer that we roll? 

Xue

I'm happy to be collaborative with regards to things so that there's not so much burden on you too, WW. I'm not familiar with mechanics, but I can write character/setting description adequately, and occasionally plot :)

White Wolf

Okay I'll get to work on that thread right away :)

I like the idea of rolling for Rogue Trader. In D&D I'm a strict points buy person, but...again, this is the 41st Millennium. If you wanted sanity, you should have been born earlier. Like, 10,000 years earlier :P

So I think it adds to the atmosphere if stats are rolled at random (As in, you can roll up a bunch of numbers and then apply them to your stats as you see fit, but the actual generation OF those numbers should be random :) ).

Muse

: ) All right, that works. 

White Wolf

Idej

Honestly having a Tau from the Farsight Enclaves would be amazeballs or heck a Kroot would be slick too.

However I ain't gonna judge what you all pick I would prefer Xenos friendly but not like we are all friends and all friendly.  That can develop over time as I intend for my Dark Eldar to be more open to things not Dark Eldar since she is on board for survival and things like pride need to be sacrificed for survival at times.

This also sets her foundation for why she will join the Ynnari after the whole Cadia Falls stuff.

Idej

Well since I originally piggy backed this and since back to square one.

Still looking for a GM to run a 40k game.  Already have character made using base rules and I think two or three others who were in the game have their characters already made too.  So, ummm, looking for a new GM :D

Muse

Idej

Just bumping this one again to see if there are any takers to run a 40k Rogue Trader game.

Muse

wander

I've actually managed to get a copy of Rogue Trader finally, which is amazingly lucky for me as the book is out of print! ^^;;

Anyways, with enjoying a Warhammer Fantasy rpg right now, I'd love to branch out and play in a Rogue Trader game too. Seems it would be really fun and reminds me a fair bit of Traveller, which was one of my main rpg loves.

So, third player here. :) Just need a GM. ^^

Idej

Yeah It is really fun

I have a Dark Eldar made and ready for this.  :)

Rogue Trader is what got me into 40k

wander

Just from the Corebook I like the looks of playing a fortune driven Void-Master or Explorator (because Tech-Priests and the Adeptus Mechanicus ftw!). That or a prideful Navigator.  :-)

I have access to supplements, though I think for myself I'd limit my own options to the corebook so I can ease myself into the game, bit by bit. I do have experience playing in games of Deathwatch and other 40k rpgs though.

I'm old hat when it comes to the setting though. I used to grab White Dwarf in the mid-90s, owned the Space Crusade boardgame, Necromunda, Blood Bowl (played this a shit-ton! My Skaven never lost a match!), Battlefleet Gothic... Just so happened to be a Geedubs start in my city around '95-96 and I liked the models.

I'm much more a tabletop player than a lore dude, though I admire both and now I own the RT rpg, I figured I'd add myself to the pot here. :)

Idej

I completely spaced out that you replied

Sorry

Yeah I like Explorator and Navigator

But today I wanna be a Dark Eldar

And its all good

I was into the lie before got money to buy my Dark Eldar army.  Am trying to build a mixed Eldar army with Ynnari but since Dark Eldar get love in RT I figured making one here would be cool

wander

I'm giving this thread a bump in the hopes of getting some peoples to play Rogue Trader with. I'm not confident at all to GM itself, though I am very eager to play and be a crew member in a cool ass spaceship, going around free trading and making ends meet across the galaxy.  :-)

Ironwolf85

what ya need in terms of skill?
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Rad

Giving this thread some love.

I'm not ready to commit to anything long-term just yet, and I haven't played Rogue Trader - more of a Dark Heresy fan meself. But I'd give a shot to any Warhammer RP, honestly. So I'll be peeping every now and then to see what stirs.

And if I ever find the time, I might even GM one myself.

wander

Still about and interested for it. :)

greenknight

Quote from: wander on April 08, 2018, 04:17:28 PM
Still about and interested for it. :)
Is there interest with a stripped down system based on Mordheim? I never got into the FFG editions and Mordheim looks like something WFRP would have been if GW kept up with it or initially published it 20 years later.

EDIT: random thoughts here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285653.0
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

wander

When I click on that link, nothing happens green.

greenknight

Does it work for you now? Feel free to add thoughts here or there.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

wander

It does. What system is this using?

greenknight

Mordheim version of the skirmish rules. So all the skills are the skill categories with specific skills underneath.

wander

The only Mordheim I know is the old tabletop minis game back from 18 years ago and the vidja that came later based off it. And the only Skirmish I know of is the current Age of Sigmar skirmish tabletop minis game.

greenknight

Quote from: wander on April 13, 2018, 10:00:45 PM
The only Mordheim I know is the old tabletop minis game back from 18 years ago
Yep, that skirmish game. I'd rather use standard stats than WFRP for a system game and Mordheim and Necromunda have an advancement system crunchy enough for a forum game. That said, I probably need to find a digital copy of Necromunda; Mordheim was my default because I have the free .pdfs GW distributed several years ago.

wander

Google is your friend, at least when it comes to the older version of Necromunda.

It'd be more of a combat-centric game at that point however. Which I don't mind, combat gaming is what 40k was made for and I enjoy that kind of thing. However, if combat is the main deal, then why not play as Special Characters from 40k itself and do gladiatorial combatting? I got 8th edition stats for pretty much everyone through the Indexes.

Idej

I have about over 50% of the Codexes released so far lol

Lacking all of the special Space Marines Codexes

Death Guard

Tyranids

and Necrons

wander

I just have Death Guard and Custodes as actual codexes.

I thought I was going to only be buying DG, though the announcement of the Custodes this January was a surprise I couldn't help but get involved with for a hobby project this year. I should have completed my 1,500pts of them by next month and be ready to return to my green stinkbois for the summer to get them up to their 1k list.

greenknight

Quote from: wander on April 14, 2018, 10:18:27 AM
Google is your friend, at least when it comes to the older version of Necromunda.

It'd be more of a combat-centric game at that point however. Which I don't mind, combat gaming is what 40k was made for and I enjoy that kind of thing. However, if combat is the main deal, then why not play as Special Characters from 40k itself and do gladiatorial combatting? I got 8th edition stats for pretty much everyone through the Indexes.
Yep, I got a softcopy.

As for combat-centric, what else do you want rules for? Healing is probably kind of important. Haggling? Does that need more than opposed Ld checks? I'm trying to go with just what rules are necessary for forum play, so I'm open to discussing what needs a system and what can stay freeform.