What news sources do you use?

Started by Skynet, December 11, 2012, 03:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skynet

Decades ago, there were far less channels for news, and people often had to rely upon local newspapers for issues and events of the day.  Today, we have magazine subscriptions, online websites, blogs, Smart Phone Apps, and cell phone photojournalism to instantaneously communicate news to millions of people.  It comes as no surprise that even my immediate friends use very different sources to get their news.

Fellow Elliquians, what are your go-to sources for news, ones you trust and use often?

I like The Young Turks Radio Show.  Unlike many other US liberals, they're unafraid to criticize Democrats and President Obama on controversial issues, such as drone strikes in Pakistan.

I enjoy reading Mother Jones magazine.  They're a reliable source of investigative journalism, and do an excellent job of covering corporate and political corruption in US politics.

For foreign and European news, I look at the BBC.  For the Middle East, Al Jazeera English is the only news source I trust located in the region.

Although not really a news site, I'm a fan of Fred Clark's Slacktivist Blog.  A liberal evangelical (think Jimmy Carter), Clark's main subject of interest involves analysis of Christianity in society, and writes some very insightful articles about the Religious Right.

Feel free to share your own trusted sources of information!

Avis habilis

For me it's NPR in the car/truck, MoJo online, & the Daily Show on TV.

Seriously, for years they were nearly the only real news on TV.

Star Safyre

Another NPR fan.  I listen to the radio and read their news on their app.  I also turn to CNN as needed.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Skynet

I would have included The Daily Show, but I feared that lots of people would not consider it a proper news source.  Jon Stewart does do a good job of bringing issues to light, such as how Republicans blocked support for the 9/11 First Responders bill (which would provide healthcare for those injured saving lives from the WTC attack).  It's a shame to say, but he's one of the few US liberals who bothers to call the GOP and Fox News out on their hypocrisy and bigotry.

I generally don't really use traditional television news outlets like CNN; instead I visit their websites.  I did use them for watching the live Presidential debates, but other than that I paid them no heed.

Avis habilis

Quote from: Skynet on December 11, 2012, 03:06:53 PM
... he's one of the few US liberals who bothers to call the GOP ... out ...

Or the Dems too when they deserve it, more to the point.

Question Mark

BBC and Aljazeera English for "real" news.  They're detailed, mostly unbiased, focused on important stories, and generally operate on a whole 'nother level above American news.

For laughs, I watch the Daily Show.  It's obviously a liberal bias, and it's even more obviously a comedy show before anything else, but amongst American news, TDS is a surprisingly reputable source.

I often check Fox News, keeping up to date on what issues they're pushing and how they're spinning current news.

LiberalViewer on YouTube is also good for keeping me informed about Fox bias.

Skynet

Quote from: Question Mark on December 11, 2012, 03:32:28 PM
LiberalViewer on YouTube is also good for keeping me informed about Fox bias.

Oh man, I love LiberalViewer!  He does work for the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union), so he knows much more about freedom of speech than the so-called "Strict Constitutionalists."

Lilias

BBC Look East in the evening, and the respective radio station first thing in the morning. From time to time I check Greek sources on the net as well (streaming radio and/or digital newspapers).
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Pumpkin Seeds

NPR for the majority of my news.  Daily Show is another source and so is the news channel for my Flipbook on my cell phone.

Scribbles

I know it's not a News source but I mostly enjoy google's News section since it allows me to select several different news sources for a single topic.  I also like The Daily Show and Stephen Colbert but more for amusement than anything else.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

TheGlyphstone

The daily Show, the Colbert Report, and the Onion.

ExisD

For me NPR when I'm listening to the radio. Though that's a rather rare thing now.

Most of my news comes from the internet and there it winds up being BBC, Washington Post, and NY Times a lot. Though for the post and times I tend to favor articles by certain writers more than others.

Callie Del Noire

Hmm...

BBC news (site and TV)
Reuters
NPR/PBS
The Daily Show/Colbert Show
AP News Ap
and occasionally CNN/MSNBC/ABC/CBS/NBC sites.. very rarely Fox news (mostly to see their spin on an issue)

and local news

RP7466

none really.

If i don't watch it happen, or watch real honest debate i don't believe what im told about it. If i catch somthing of interest ill record CSPAN and watch the complete hearing. Several times I have watched a hearing, and then watched/listened to cnn, abc, fox, nbc, or npr to see what was said, and what was reported was a joke, all of them. A few times one station or the other was somewhat accurate (and i emphasize somewhat) but I think the only differences between the stations is what group of drones their target audience is. I watch fox on rare occasion. I have found that when they have conservitive and liberal guests that debate, something close to the truth comes out. (If you can watch without bias).

I would like to see Sean Hannity and Rachael Maddow fight to the death with sporks, dressed like clowns. XD   
"It's my only politics... anti-wife. Any woman who devotes herself to making one man miserable instead of a lot of men happy don't get my vote"

John Wayne as Sam McCord

Skynet

Quote from: RP7466 on December 17, 2012, 05:42:45 PM
I watch fox on rare occasion. I have found that when they have conservitive and liberal guests that debate, something close to the truth comes out. (If you can watch without bias).

I would like to see Sean Hannity and Rachael Maddow fight to the death with sporks, dressed like clowns. XD   

Just keep in mind that some of their "token liberals" aren't really liberals, or are just on the show to give the illusion of bipartisanship while reiterating the same right-wing talking points.  And the Libertarians (such as John Stossel) only talk about economic issues because they know who's writing their paychecks.

It's not an open forum.

elone

Mainly NPR on radio, Al Jazeera and BBC on Internet otherwise for real news.

Watch Fox occasionally just to keep an eye on what the nuts are up to.

MSNBC for the good old liberal bias.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Chris Brady

The Onion.

;D

Because let's face it, it's all a farce.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Maiz

NPR, BBC, Democracy Now, Aljazeera English, Jadaliyya, and then a ton of blogs.

itsbeenfun2000

Yahoo, The Daily Show, and Colbert.

Spero

Mostly Yahoo, or if I'm watching TV its normally the local new channel.
RP Status: Seeking New Roleplays // Muse Status: Active and Around // Mood Status: Hopeful
CRAVING!: Dark Fantasy & Warhammer 40k Roleplay! Please PM if you want to RP~

Moraline

Usually friends and people online referring me to other sources. I tend to trust none. However, when it comes to breaking news, I'll watch every source I can get if it's a big story and live.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Moraline on December 22, 2012, 02:13:17 PM
Usually friends and people online referring me to other sources. I tend to trust none. However, when it comes to breaking news, I'll watch every source I can get if it's a big story and live.
Yeah, I don't trust many news sources either.  You actually have to check THEIR sources.  Many a time (especially news blogs) they will copy (as in copy and paste) a news article with no actual verification.  Or check their sources.  You have to be very careful of that now.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Nergal

Completely new here, but I'll throw it out for what it's worth.

For international news (and interestingly, a lot of bits of US news that mainstream media won't cover - 3rd party Presidential Debates were hosted by RT, for instance), Russia Today really is good at providing stories and points of view that you really won't get otherwise.

Corporate media, at least in the US, by its own contract, has to prioritize profits over accuracy, so I'm very, very wary of any such thing on principle.

Caehlim

SBS World News Australia and ABC's 7.30 report.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.