Dragon World 0.3 (Interest Check)

Started by MadPanda, January 02, 2015, 12:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

This is from the same fellow who translated Maid: the RPG and worked tirelessly to bring us the new and revised version of OVA...the best way to think of this is a cross between Slayers, Dragon-Half, and the sillier parts of your last D&D game.

http://yarukizerogames.com/2014/12/12/dragon-world-hack-0-3/

Three Things about Dragon World:
It's free and still-in-development until such time as Ewen decides to add stuff like artwork and actually go to print.
It's powered by the Apocalypse World engine (which is swiftly becoming one of my new faves).  It is far less gritty than AW, obviously.
It requires a teensy bit of world-building.  Just a little.  Not very much at all.

So if the thought of being able to do better than Lina Inverse, or Mink, or Gourry Gabriev, or even Xellos (but that's a secret) strikes you as fun, let's give this a try!

Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

MadPanda

That'd be the Explosive Mage playbook.  And if you'll pardon me, I'll just be behind this nice, sturdy, solid blast shield while you play with your newly acquired spellbook, shall I?  What ho...

In Memory of Bishrook

Kimmy

Sign me up as something fireproof? Half-Demon or Half-Dragon? I want to have fun teasing & humiliating Lina! ^_^ And well, surviving the experience allows me to learn from my mistakes so I tease all the more next time!
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

MadPanda

Half-Dragon is available.  There isn't a playbook for a Half-demon for some reason (although the Angsty Shadow Warrior would fit).

In Memory of Bishrook

CarnivalOfTheGoat

I do believe I shall sign up for the shaman's role...

...because the spirits of this place told me to. >_>

I'd actually glanced at v0.2 of Dragon World via a link from the AW forums and was intrigued, but it's hard enough to get the more common AW & DW (Dungeon World) games rolling online, it seems, so I'd never even thought of floating it as an idea.

Half-demon totally should be a playbook. Not all anime half-demons are angsty.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

MadPanda

Wow!  Off to a roaring start!  I'll cap this at four, five players...or however many we have as of tomorrow.

In the meantime, you may all introduce a story element into play for setting up your story threads (the mechanic that replaces things like Hx).

I'll add a couple of my own when that's done

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

MadPanda

Dragon Slave
Giga Slave
Don't Point That At My Planet

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

Would this work for a Chosen Visitor?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Traditionally, the Chosen Visitor would be a Makoto Mizuhara type, but if you must, you must.  :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

I haven't read any manga in a loooooooong time. I'm a bit out of touch with the more recent ones.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Think "hapless modern Japanese schoolkid dropped into fantasy world" for Chosen Visitor and you'll be closer to the source material.

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Okay, that's four people, which is more than enough to launch anything Apocalypse powered!

I'mma stick this in Bondage/Exotic, I think.  Bide anon: this message will be updated with links to cast and OOC threads.

Cast Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=220844.0
OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=220845.0

Story thread will be built when I know exactly what kind of crazy, nutty funsters I'm dealing with.   ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Lost one already, but still have room for up to two more!  Come on down...

A replacement Chosen Visitor might be fun (think Displaced Ordinary Japanese Schoolkid) but not absolutely necessary, given that our Half-dragon is in fact a Half-demon.  Too bad Dragon World lacks the Sex Moves of the Apocalypse World playbooks...

In Memory of Bishrook

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: MadPanda on January 11, 2015, 11:33:07 AM
Lost one already, but still have room for up to two more!  Come on down...

A replacement Chosen Visitor might be fun (think Displaced Ordinary Japanese Schoolkid) but not absolutely necessary, given that our Half-dragon is in fact a Half-demon.  Too bad Dragon World lacks the Sex Moves of the Apocalypse World playbooks...

...As if that would be hard to implement? You really want those in there? ;)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

MadPanda

Well, this IS Elliquiy...(ahem)  No, actually, they won't be needed.  They fit Apocalypse World and Monsterhearts.  This?  Not so much.

Even if naughty thoughts about Naga the White Serpent, lots of rope, and a carrot do come to mind.   >:)

In Memory of Bishrook