Imperial Academy Admitting New Students (SF) [NC-E]

Started by Vandren, May 18, 2009, 09:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

At the moment, I'd like to gauge interest with some snippets from a potential game setting (for E).  I've worked out things on species, technology, and more details on the Academy as well as profiles and basic game rules.  Those'll likely be posted on the wiki if there's enough interest (defined as four responses here).

Basically, I see players taking on the roles of students and faculty at the Academy.  The former can come from a variety of backgrounds--the wealthy, nobles, future military officers, lower class folks with academic gifts and whatnot.  Lots of possibilities for educational field trips, "forbidden" relationships, in-fighting among students, in-fighting among faculty, etc. etc.

So, any interest?   ;D

History, World
The current year is 2418 C.E. and Earth is the center of a large interstellar empire.

Settlers from the third planet in the Sol system began colonizing the system in the late-21st century, with Earth’s moon and Mars.  The discovery of warp drives in 2109 increased the rate of colonization and the range of Terran ships.  A little over a decade after FTL was discovered, the planet and its colonies were united under a single government.  Terraforming, developed in 2152, expanded the possible number of settlements once again.  By the end of the 22nd century, Earth had colonies out to two parsecs from the home star.  There are no settled planets beyond the empire, although there are occasional misguided worlds in the empire that rebel against the government.  As yet, there have been no first contact situations.

The interstellar government was overthrown following a military coup in 2221.  This was the foundation of the empire.  The first emperor centered the government in the New Boston-Jersey metropolitan region (New York-Boston-New Jersey).  All of Africa and South America were eventually turned into nature preserves.  Cities and settlement within fifty miles of the coast were, and still are, exempt in that regard.  Most of those regions are currently inhabited by rangers and “primitive” squatters.  The rest of the planet is heavily urbanized, with most of the planet’s landmass covered by cities.

Imperial Academy
The Imperial Academy is located on the island of Haiti-Dominican Republic (the island was actually united under the name Haiti in 2222).  Training mostly takes place on the campus, but classes can occur anywhere on the planet and in Sol system.  The school itself is set in the northern mountains.  It has an outer pentagonal wall with ten towers, within which is a matching wall with five towers.  These inner towers are home to the Academy’s societies.  Inside the inner wall are numerous buildings, linked by bridges and corridors.  Two of the most important areas in the Academy are the library—one of the largest in the empire—and the Arena.  The latter is a place where legal dueling can occur, and is also sometimes used for public punishment.  There is also a town about two miles away to which students have limited visitation privileges.

The Academy is entirely autonomous.  The Dean of the Academy is automatically granted the rank of duke and is a member of the imperial council in order to protect this autonomy.  Graduates are sworn never to speak of the Academy’s methods with non-graduates.  Moreover, outsiders are not admitted within the walls, regardless of status.  That said, nobles and others who graduated from the Academy may return as observers and/or government representatives, with the Dean’s permission.

History
When it was founded in 1994, the Imperial Academy was the Tashi Technical Academy.  Why exactly it was founded on Haiti is unknown, but some think it was a front business.  At least initially.  The school acquired a minor reputation in the Caribbean nations and an even lesser reputation in North America.  However, when the emperor was seeking a site for his second military academy in 2240, he fell for the TTA’s anachronistic appearance and its location in the mountains.  Thus, the school was formally changed to the Imperial Military Academy in 2241.  During that era, it was under the control of a dean who also held the rank of major general in the PDF or Marines, although there was one Vice Admiral of the Fleet in charge for a time.  After sixty-six years as a purely military institution, the IMA underwent another change in focus.  It admitted its first group of non-military students from noble families in 2307.  This, and the addition of bright non-noble students a year later, changed the school into simply the Imperial Academy, a name it has held for the last century.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

ChaoticSky

Vandren

"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

grdell

"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Joslyn

I've been considering joining a game lately--something that has some sort of ongoing plot and also some opportunity for sex now and again. ;) This looks like it could be good, so consider me interested as well.

Vandren

Wiki Page

Alright, the wiki page is up.  I'll be adding some pics later and at least one character profile (the Dean's).  Just to generate some character ideas.

As far as section goes, I'm thinking exotic (genemods can get into anthro territory).  Perhaps BON or NC, consensus call.  In the former case, we'll start IC in the Small Games section, in the latter we can start in Small Games or I've got an unused Big Game board that could be used.

Joslyn

I do like having NC sex scenes now and again, so I'm hoping that will be an option.

Also, I had a few thoughts, if these aren't welcome then please ignore.  :-)

But anyway, one idea I had is that there could perhaps be university or even post-grad education at the Academy--might give more options for character concepts and activities.

Also, the societies could stand to be a little more decoupled from their (as far as I can tell) Harry Potter roots--they could be optional, or based on majors rather than personality, or there could be a large number determined by detailed pysche profiles to meet specific learning/propoganda needs (i.e. how to mold a particular individual into a loyal and accomplished imperial citizen).

Vandren

Quote from: Joslyn on May 19, 2009, 02:25:06 PMBut anyway, one idea I had is that there could perhaps be university or even post-grad education at the Academy--might give more options for character concepts and activities.

This would definitely be feasible.  For the moment, I thought focusing on a smaller location/range would be best for bringing about some IC similarities and interaction.

QuoteAlso, the societies could stand to be a little more decoupled from their (as far as I can tell) Harry Potter roots--they could be optional, or based on majors rather than personality, or there could be a large number determined by detailed pysche profiles to meet specific learning/propoganda needs (i.e. how to mold a particular individual into a loyal and accomplished imperial citizen).

They could even be wiped out, I'm not 100% adamant about them being there.  However, it is a nice means of simultaneously creating some unity and disunity among characters.  :)  I considered areas of study or goals as a divider, but that, I thought, would limit opportunities a bit much.  I'd certainly be open to making assignment random . . . sort of like initial housing assignments at most colleges.

In fact, I think I will make them random.  And changed them to dorms (with faculty Dorm Directors, equivalent to frat house mothers or residence directors).

Ty

I am interested in this. Probably as a student unless there is a dearth of staff.

Vandren

Cool.  :)

I've changed the dorm names.  And added general placement guidelines (note: guidelines, not hard and fast rules).

Suggestions and feedback are welcome.

Ty

The multiple PC rule is interesting, and might help some of the issues these games can have.

I would perhaps add to the placement options 5) If you've a better idea, pm Vandren with it. Just so people with neat ideas know it's allowed to consider them

Vandren

I always figure multiple PCs is fairly standard, however I like to limit to three at a start because of some players' tendencies to go overboard - say creating six, seven characters and then vanish on vacation or something.  Three as a limit minimizes, I think, the potential problem and shows what the player can handle in that regard.  :)

Vandren

Since this has come up and I forgot about it . . .

I think starting IC at the beginning on the new school year would be best, so:

(Class year to age)
First Year = 14
Second = 15
Third = 16
Fourth = 17
Fifth = 18

(Obviously birthdays can happen at anytime during the year, and people could have been held back at some point, or shunted slightly ahead, say +/- one year of age)

Vandren

Just checking to see if there's still interest.  I've only received contact from one person in the last four days . . .

ChaoticSky

Joslyn

I'm still looking forward to this one.  :-) Just in case anyone missed it, there are guidelines for character profiles here:
https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Private:ImpAcadCharacters

Just PM them to Vandren, I guess. Anyway, my character is ready but I don't want to be the only one at the Academy.  :P

ChaoticSky

Vandren

Sorry, that was in reply #6.  I should have been clearer, mea culpa.

I think, once at least three characters are in, I'll start up OOC and IC threads.  For now, I'm debating between a Character Profile thread or just sticking them on the wiki.  That's open for votes.  :)

Also, there's been one NC vote.  Anyone else have any preferences as far as NC or BON (I'm thinking those two are good areas for this; I'd prefer to avoid EX).

Ty

Argh! I completely failed to realise you were asking for characters and not just trying to get a number of interests. Sorry.

I have no problem with the game being in the NC section.. but would like to remind people that some characters/players may have limits (which would be best stated or repeated in the character bio?)

I've mentioned this thread to a couple of people I've spoken to on IRC, hopefully they'll join in. And I'll work on a character or two this week.

Vandren

Sounds good.

And yes, there is actually a line on the profile for Character Limits.  Although most people have O/o pages, I've included that line for characters because an individual character's limits could differ from the players.  Ex. I the player have no issues with, say, non-con scenes, but my character's a pretty "good guy" and would never initiate such a scene (and would avoid participating in one).

Vandren

We have another interested party and two profiles submitted.  One more profile and I'll get threads up (assuming a minor illness doesn't get worse and knock me on my arse).

Vandren

Alright, here're some basic threads:

OOC Discussion - NC-E
Character Profiles - post after being approved

Vandren

Just bumping because we could use some male characters . . .

Currently we have:
Faculty: 3
Students: 5

Males: 1
Females: 7

So, c'mon guys . . . there's a 7:1 female:male ratio, better than any academy in the empire!   ;)

Vandren

Howdy folks,

The school's still looking for freshmea . . . freshmen.  Yes, that's right.  Or any other students/faculty for that matter.

Insight

Hey, if you don't mind

Name: John
Played by: Bradten   
Race: Human
Class Year: 4
Dorm: Sweyne

Notable Skills/Talents: Very intelligent, kind and moral. While not incorruptible, he comes very close. Very good with a control stick.
Notable Weaknesses/Flaws: He won’t put out effort if he doesn’t see the point. Very goal-oriented. He also tends to be a bit unforgiving to those who make bad decisions about themselves.
Notable Possessions: His flight suit, those trinkets in his dorm, and not much else.
Current Subjects: Java 301, Modern Military History and Tactics, Energy Weapon self-defense, Small-Craft piloting 401, Navigation 201, Leadership 401

Description: John is a solid 6 feet even with short-cropped brown hair. He’s well built, a product of daily weight training. At first glance, he’s a fighter jock, but a closer look into his grades shows that he’s got a brain on his shoulders. Just by looking into his deep, green eyes, you can see his fire to succeed and excel in the academy.

Background: John wasn’t much of a student. He got terrible grades in high school because he had an irreversible case of apathy. His teachers berated him from 1st grade on, and he just didn’t care. When he could, he took out his frustration on the football field and the track. When he graduated (barely) he left for the Navy, but found he couldn’t do what he really wanted to do without an education. So, with a grimance, he packed his things and enrolled at the academy, and immediately began to shine. It was different here. It was all about individual responsibility. Nobody cared if you didn’t work. He always is sure to put in plenty, so he gets plenty out of it.

Character’s Adult Limits: None.
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread

Vandren

kckolbe

By the way, is there space for another character, perhaps a late enrollment or transfer?
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Vandren

As stated a few posts back, there's unlimited space.

Vandren

Vandren

I'm just going to bump this since it's been a while.  This is a good time for new faculty and students to start up, since we've just started the first day of classes.

Jingo

Is there still a chance to get in on this? I'm a fresh-off-the-boat Elliquy newbie, but I'd be eager to give this a try if there's room.

Should I PM a character concept to you? What's the etiquette for applying?

Vandren

The more, the merrier.  Just send a completed profile to me via PMs for review.

https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Private:Imperial_Academy
- blank character profiles can be found via the Rules/Characters page above (or the Character Profiles thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=37651.0 )

Side note, if you're interested, I would like a non-OTP (Officer Training Program) student to mess with a little bit.