The Broken East: fantasy historic setting

Started by Ironwolf85, April 03, 2012, 01:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwolf85

Welcome Citizan to Konstantoplis center of Byzantium.
We know that your mythological background will be useful to you at the city in the center of the world. enjoy all our glorious empire has to offer, and please... (the rest is missing as the paper is burning)
[/b]Welcome to the Burning East, this is not going to be Politically correct or overly sensitive to everyone, I am pulling no punches.
the crusaders came, summoned by the byzantine emperor's plea for help to the pope. dispite the bloodshed and bad blood on both sides, the crusaders found somthing they shouldn't have. the Seal Ex Roma, a lid on pandora's box of magical power. the crusaders dared not tamper with such a relic, they venerated it, protected it. the knights Seplucher protected it against "heathens" but when the crusaders fell victim to their own abuse and were ousted by the arabs, the angry mobs seeking revenge destroyed the site. shattering it and unleashing magic and myth back into the world. since then the east has dissolved into a warzone between too many cultures crammed into the land between Carpathia, the Hindu kush, the black sea and Egypt, some desire to rise above the chaos, some revel in it, sultans and crusaders hide behind fortified walls while byzantium crumbles from without and within it's holy and unholy servants alike caught up in the decadence.

I will add more as more people have interist, here are the factions I have so far.

Council of Jersulam: one of the few oaises of calm, Templars, Hasshin, Malmuks, Hospitlars Crusader and Arab, are forced to survive, and in the holy city formed the Council of Jersulam. what began as a nessicity of survival is slowly working to become a forve for order and good, one of the rarest things in this world. A strong voice of compassion and tolerance, backed by sword and holy power. Jersulam stands a fortress against the madness of magic that has poured forth into the world, cut off from supplies in europe, she is a city under a long slow seige.
Acre: once home to the Hospitlars, now a city of the dead, Acre is a haunted place and home to undead crusaders, it's men still standing guard still bound to their earth by oaths unfufilled, minds and bodies twisted, their bones animated by will and foul magic, their black ships cutting off Jersulam from european support, but otherwise steering clear of the holy city and throwing themselves in waves against Arab settlements, like an undead tide that surges and receeds.
Sultanate of Egypt: the Egyptian gods have returned to an egypt that is a sultianate under islamic rule, whose people no longer believed in them, humbled, weakened, people had moved on. thus a holy civil war rages in egypt, on one side the old gods lead by Ra, primal and ferice, but weakened, on the other side Arabic mystics and the sultan, backed by a few of the gods that have converted to these new religions, most notabally the brothers Death god Anubis, war god Waphamet, eager to no longer be overshadowed by Ra, and none too eager for the bad old days.
Byzantium: Decadance, Byzantium is the playground of politics, a long corrosive game of backstabbing engaged in by mortal and immortal alike, divine and infernal servants of the Emperor play at these ruthless politics behind his golden throne, in the renamed city of Konstantoplis seduction, assassination, backstabbing, and commonplace, and it's a game everyone plays and as demons, nymphs, and Janni have discovered Archons (Byzantyine style angels) are suprisingly good at this game.
The City of Brass: in the middle of an inhospitable dessert, the Bazare of the Bizzare was once home to the Janni (Genies) and the humans who made pacts with them. when the magic was sealed the powers that made the Janni great dissapeared, their contracts were voided, the granted wishes undone, and the city collapsed into the sand. not it has arisen again to the menace of all from India to Jersulam. The City of Brass is a place where anything and everything is for sale, lives, kingdoms, souls, potions, magics, slaves, nothing is illegal here and the city flaunts false power. for it is held in place by the summoning circles, without them the city would collapse again, and all the Janni die, for none could withstand the trauma a second time.

well what do you all think?
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

It's definitely an interesting setting to me, but I'm familiar with all that mythology and regional history. I think that without a bit more explanation into that, or a narrowing of what area/goal/theme you want your characters to pursue you may find the unusual history and setting intimidating some people.

So I'd suggest that you narrow the focus a bit and talk about what sort of campaign you expect to run, the background you have described ranges from open warfare to court intrigue. You usually don't find the same characters involved in both! (sometimes, but not often!)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Ironwolf85

hmmm i'm going for inteuge with spats of open warfare here and I'm trying to drum up interist and see who wants to play, I'm willing to explain to others, I just was tired of the same tropes in every forum Rp and wanted to do somthing more interisting
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Syene

I love historical fantasy in general and I too am fairly familar with the region and mythology. I would be very interested in this!

The idea is full of promise, but I do agree that your interest check could use a little fine-tuning to appeal to a wider audiance.
[tr][td]
[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[/table]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]

LordLuck

Same thing with me, I guess. I study History, for real, and I love the period you'd be liking to pull on this tale. I would be most interested into joining such game - but as I am familiar with the history adn the cosmology... perhaps some more info should be offered.

On else - good idea! ;)
Mourning.

Ironwolf85

alright I'll edit it and reform it when I get a chance, probably by friday evening if that's okay