Child Services take a child from his mother.. for obsesisty

Started by Callie Del Noire, December 02, 2011, 02:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

The quality of foster homes varies with locality, too. Bad foster homes are more likely to slip through the cracks the more overworked the people in charge of oversight are. There are some very, very good foster homes, and there are some very, very bad ones. The thing is that I'm not actually too worried about this kid. He's got media attention, and he's got a mother (who, most importantly, has a lawyer) looking out for him. You bet they're going to pay attention to how he's treated. The kids that I feel bad for are the ones that are in foster homes with no media coverage, no parents that care, and no hope of getting out of the system.

And it's significant that they didn't just pop this boy out of his home and put him in foster care - they worked with the family for at least a year before they took him away. It's one thing to decide for yourself that you're going to lose a few pounds (or a lot of pounds) and then backslide. It's another thing entirely when it's, get the whole family losing pounds or you're going to lose your friggin kid. Additionally, I don't think this case sets a terrible precedent. In cases of gross negligence, which this is, it's appropriate to remove the kid from the home and try to get him some help. I think that the parents should take nutrition classes before they can get the child back, too.

Oniya

Quote from: Trieste on December 05, 2011, 05:21:51 AM
I think that the parents should take nutrition classes before they can get the child back, too.

From what I understand, that's what they did at the Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital.  It sounds as though a refresher course is needed, however.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oniya

There's been an update:

www.fox8.com/news/wjw-obses-boy-pre-trial-hearing-ev-txt,0,3366892.story?%3F

The short of it is that he lost more than 20 pounds in foster care, and is going to be living with his uncle until the next hearing (February).  So, he's back with family, just not in his mother's care.  She is going to be allowed a one-week unsupervised visit over the holidays, though.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on December 14, 2011, 05:18:53 PM
There's been an update:

www.fox8.com/news/wjw-obses-boy-pre-trial-hearing-ev-txt,0,3366892.story?%3F

The short of it is that he lost more than 20 pounds in foster care, and is going to be living with his uncle until the next hearing (February).  So, he's back with family, just not in his mother's care.  She is going to be allowed a one-week unsupervised visit over the holidays, though.

Good good.. glad to hear he's with family. Even if it's not his mom it's better to be with family than complete strangers. I hope they don't expect a LOT of weight loss in the next two weeks. Even healthy eating families are looking for weight gain.

Oniya

It depends on what his pre-intervention calorie intake was.  I'm sure that holiday meals will be a factor they'll have to consider, though.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on December 14, 2011, 05:26:53 PM
It depends on what his pre-intervention calorie intake was.  I'm sure that holiday meals will be a factor they'll have to consider, though.

I'm glad that he's back with family. I am also glad he gets to see his mom for more than a few hours at a time. The thing that got me was the total disconnect from his family. His mom is able to handle it, but I was worried about the emotional impact on him.

ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut

They also shouldn't take the holidays as an excuse for weight gain though either. If he's made such good progress away from his family, the worst thing his mother and uncle could do for him is reverse that and send him back to care. I guess it's a test to see how responsible they can be.
“I didn’t want to kiss you goodbye — that was the trouble — I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there’s a lot of difference.”
Ernest Hemingway
O/Os**A/As